2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
All this talk of faults and defects is making me want to skip the digital pianos and buy an acoustic instead. frown

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Ok, but then how did they (partly) fix this? I guess the software recognizes the unintended loud note now, somehow, most of the time.

It could be a kind of algorithm that takes into account the last keys played to predict how loud the note should sound. This could reduce the occurrence of the unintended loud note.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
All this talk of faults and defects is making me want to skip the digital pianos and buy an acoustic instead. frown
Or buy the NV5 which hasn’t have the loud note issue. (The silent note issue is the same as the acoustic : if the escapement is not armed again : no sound).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/31/20 04:16 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Written like this we can understand than Kawai have some false strikes. With an hammer sensor, we will have no loud notes, and silent notes would be silent too on an acoustic piano. We can’t name them false negative.

Sorry, I was imprecise in my language.

Originally Posted by Tyr
Ok, but then how did they (partly) fix this? I guess the software recognizes the unintended loud note now, somehow, most of the time.

It could be a kind of algorithm that takes into account the last keys played to predict how loud the note should sound. This could reduce the occurrence of the unintended loud note.

There could be several ways to do this. There's also an algorithm to detect whether a strike should be silent (taking into account key velocity, initial key position, etc.), they could also have adjusted the thresholds to better match when a well-regulated hammer would be caught and re-engaged by the action.

But given that the firmware fix has no impact on CG's detection method (which can trigger loud notes individually at will) I suspect you're right and some predictive method is being used.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

Then you will hear about the faults of the bridges, hammers and other parts and wonder if you should replace your hammers with Abels or Isaac hammers. Or to replace your bridge pins with Wapin ones or bridge agraffes. Or installing Precision Touch Design(tm) by Stanwood vs replacing your whole action with a Wessel Nickel & Gross.

You will want to bury your head under the sand and wish you learned to play cards instead of playing the piano.... laugh

PS: How do I know? I have both the NU1 and a small (craigslist-level) grand.

Last edited by Del Vento; 07/31/20 08:51 PM.
Woe is me! frown
Originally Posted by Del Vento
You will want to bury your head under the sand and wish you learned to play cards instead of playing the piano.... laugh

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Del Vento
would like to have it both ways: loud note when practicing, mitigated when "performing". Since I cannot have it both ways laugh I decided to keep the loud note only for practicing,

Yamaha didn't play this smart. They could have made it a switchable user option, (loud or no note) and advertise it as an advanced practice function. wow

Agreed - and almost certainly had they done this then I would be keeping it

J
OP Offline
J
Or buy the NV5 which hasn’t have the loud note issue. (The silent note issue is the same as the acoustic : if the escapement is not armed again : no sound).

Which I intend to do - except that the dealer has informed me that it could be 2-3 months wait as stocks have "sold out" due to people being locked in and wanting pianos. I really want to get a definite time frame as to when it can be delivered.

L
L
I have been reading through this thread... seems like the "loud note issue" couldn't be fixed with the firmware update, it just got reduced to occur less, is that correct ?

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When the sensor measures two repeated notes with the second one with an higher velocity, it can’t be deduced between :
1/ the player plays a crescendo
2/ the action escapement was not rearmed then the key was too light.

If you fix situation corresponding to the second hypothesis, you create a new issue : the player can’t play easily a crescendo.

Then I don’t expect a adequate fix.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If the repeated note appears too shortly after the first note and the difference in the velocities is over a threshold (or maybe even if the second note is > 120 or something), then the probability of hitting the loud note issue is IMO much higher than an intentional sforzando (a sudden crescendo). I have proposed that idea before the Yamaha fix appeared and a guy on the forum even created a MIDI filter that implemented that idea, and then shortly afterwards he was contacted by Yamaha and was sent their beta firmware. I don't want to assume a bigger role and exaggerate my participation in this but it's an odd coincidence for Yamaha to have that issue for so long, and then after I proposed my idea on this forum it was a matter of weeks/months that Yamaha also implemented it 🤣 I'd be glad to be hired by Yamaha to work on their digital piano development, just saying 😛 And wouldn't mind having a CFX in the office for a reference!

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/22/21 05:42 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
If the repeated note appears too shortly after the first note and the difference in the velocities is over a threshold (or maybe even if the second note is > 120 or something), then the probability of hitting the loud note issue is IMO much higher than an intentional sforzando (a sudden crescendo). I have proposed that idea before the Yamaha fix appeared and a guy on the forum even created a MIDI filter that implemented that idea, and then shortly afterwards he was contacted by Yamaha and was sent their beta firmware. I don't want to assume a bigger role and exaggerate my participation in this but it's an odd coincidence for Yamaha to have that issue for so long, and then after I proposed my idea on this forum it was a matter of weeks/months that Yamaha also implemented it 🤣 I'd be glad to be hired by Yamaha to work on their digital piano development, just saying 😛 And wouldn't mind having a CFX in the office for a reference!

Yes yes.

When the sensor measures two repeated notes with the second one with an higher velocity, it can’t be deduced between :
1/ the player plays a crescendo
2/ the action escapement was not rearmed then the key was too light.

If you fix situation corresponding to the second hypothesis, you create a new issue : the player can’t play easily a crescendo.

Then I don’t expect a adequate fix.

The new issue which you create is something which is ALREADY existing and NORMAL in any upright piano. In such a situation the upright does not sound or sound too lightly. The Yamaha fix reproduces this behavior in the digital, making it more accurate. Now people could argue "why should we reproduce acoustic defects in a digital" and that's a fair conversation to have, however if you want to go that route, then a hybrid piano (with the "normal" acoustic action) is NOT the right instrument for you,

As far as I am concerned, the loud note issue taught me a BETTER technique for the upright piano, which my teacher says is helping me playing better on the acoustic grand piano too (not a CFX, I'm afraid 🤣)

E
E
I have a question, do you know if this high note problem also occurs in yamaha silent pianos? according to the specifications, the system is similar to the NU1x. https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/silent_piano/index.html

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ediegus
I have a question, do you know if this high note problem also occurs in yamaha silent pianos? according to the specifications, the system is similar to the NU1x. https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/silent_piano/index.html

I believe in the upright silents, yes (because like the NU1/NU1X, they only use the key sensor system). In the grand silents, there are hammer sensors as well, so no.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I believe in the upright silents, yes (because like the NU1/NU1X, they only use the key sensor system). In the grand silents, there are hammer sensors as well, so no.

I believe that the SC2 silent system on the grand piano GBK1 is also only key sensors but all SH2 hat both key and hammer sensors on the Yamaha grand pianos. ☺️

L
L
I played an NU1X in a store in Düsseldorf, Germany for about an hour couple days ago (no floor model)... it was a regular model not with glass front. The owner was only selling that model. I couldn't replicate the loud note issue

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
A
A
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I believe that the SC2 silent system on the grand piano GBK1 is also only key sensors but all SH2 hat both key and hammer sensors on the Yamaha grand pianos. ☺️

The SH/SH2 system features key sensors, hammer sensors and the "Quick Escape" mechanism. The latter allows to mechanically regulate the action in silent mode without affecting the action in acoustic mode. This is the only silent system currently on the market that does not interfere with the action regulation. The SH/SH2 is used in Yamaha grand pianos, excluding the entry-level models. A variant of the SH/SH2 is used in the AvantGrand N1X/2/3X.

The SG2/SC2 system, used in all uprights and in the entry-level grands, features key sensors, but has no hammer sensors and no "Quick Escape" mechanism. A variant of the SG/SC2 is used in the AvantGrand NU1X.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some concurrent systems permit the double settings of the escapement :

https://www.pianomajeur.net/forum/download/file.php?id=11623

But the Yamaha’s QuickEscape is the most well known.

(On the other side, some installer - even proposed by the Silent system - can ruin the setting.)

Last edited by Frédéric L; 10/14/21 12:55 PM.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Many months later - after the last post.

Regarding the NU1X. The lack of hammer sensors prevents the system designers to achieve 100% glitch free operation (ie. zero chance of loud note issue), right? Does this mean - a flawed system?

And does this also mean that yamaha no longer produce instruments with that flaw in it?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
They released a firmware update that purportedly fixed ‘the loud note’, but then it inadvertently created ‘the soft note.’

There’s just no way around this limitation, it seems, hence, why I expect to see an NU3X soon. Stay tuned for more……

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission