2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, Alex Hutor, 36251, Alfred La Fleur, Álvaro, brdwyguy, Bostonmoores, 16 invisible), 788 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3163263 10/10/21 11:09 PM
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
My city is covid free yet nearly all clinics and supermarkets ask people to wear masks inside. Should I ask my students to wear masks too ? I have a couple of -adult- students who don't wear masks during lessons but they are fully vaccinated.

Edit: I am a bit worried about the new students coming in... they may be put off by the mask wearing and opt out of the lessons.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
At my age, I do not make any indulgences, and I meet students in a mask. This hint is enough for everyone.

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The thing is...wearing a mask only protects the other person, not you. So if the other person sneezes and only you are wearing a mask, you could still catch it.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I did wear a mask when I had lessons. My teacher did not.

I think the recommendation is still to wear masks indoors if distance can not be kept.

Also remember that most masks do very little, because they don't even fit tightly to start with. Vaccinated people can also carry the virus and infect you, it's just that they get less ill. And many people carrying the virus don't show symptoms anyway, even when not vaccinated. If you really want to protect yourself and the other students, you should wear a good (at least N3) and properly fitting mask yourself, have good ventilation, clean the touched areas, etc.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EDV
My city is covid free yet nearly all clinics and supermarkets ask people to wear masks inside. Should I ask my students to wear masks too ? I have a couple of -adult- students who don't wear masks during lessons but they are fully vaccinated.

Edit: I am a bit worried about the new students coming in... they may be put off by the mask wearing and opt out of the lessons.

Covid is still not even near to being eradicated, and a city that is free from covid one day can have many newly infected people the next day.

Did you have two vaccinations and are you not too worried if you'll get covid? Have the lessons without masks.

Are you very determined that you don't want to get covid, regardless of how many if any vaccinations you have had? Have all your lessons online.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Did you have two vaccinations and are you not too worried if you'll get covid? Have the lessons without masks.

If you are teaching, you may want to put the bar a bit higher than just being worried about yourself. You can get covid unnoticed and then infect all your students.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
>Did you have two vaccinations and are you not too worried if you'll get covid? Have the lessons without masks.

If you are teaching, you may want to put the bar a bit higher than just being worried about yourself. You can get covid unnoticed and then infect all your students.

Every person takes their own responsibility. If you are afraid that your piano teacher will infect you, you take online lessons. If you want the tiny protection that a mask offers, you kindly ask your teacher to wear a mask.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
M
Online Content
M
A few things that a mask "does" that aren't related to the material/construction/fit:
- reminds me that a global pandemic is still going on and there are societal consequences even if I personally am seemingly unaffected
- reminds me to be aware of the situations I choose to get into when out and about and interacting with people
- prevents me from absentmindedly touching my face/nose/mouth, a habit that should be watched regardless of pandemic

Schools in my U.S. state mandate masks for all, so that's good enough for me to treat my rented lesson spaces as a school-like activity with masks required.

Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by wouter79

Every person takes their own responsibility. If you are afraid that your piano teacher will infect you, you take online lessons. If you want the tiny protection that a mask offers, you kindly ask your teacher to wear a mask.
agreed

the school i teach at had parents choose to sign up for maskless lessons back in may of this year i believe--signing a waiver and everything, not disclosing whether they or I am vaccinated. every parent indeed signed their students up for maskless with me. i have one young beginner who still wears a mask, and if that's what she wants to do then okay, fine by me.

My youtube channel where I discuss theory, performance, cover some tunes, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCruDLJseRHB_04Zwz0NXVGg
B
B
Everyone at my school wears masks for the duration. It's not been an issue for me or my teacher, and while I've been there I haven't noticed anyone else having a problem with it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher and I both wore masks when it was required and before we were vaccinated. We have been maskless for a while now. When the odd upper respiratory thing has passed through one or the other of us has masked up for a lesson. It has not been a big deal.

Learner
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
If you can go maskless, you should and so should your students. Ever notice a person's glasses fogging up while wearing a mask? That's because there is moisture in every breath one exhales. This moisture is present with or without a mask. It escapes from the mask and goes into the air. If you want a false sense of security, like Linus with his blanket, go ahead and wear the mask, or if you want to put the parents' minds at ease, wear a fake mask with as little cloth as possible. It's about appearances, not reality. Reality has left the building.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Candywoman
If you can go maskless, you should and so should your students. Ever notice a person's glasses fogging up while wearing a mask? That's because there is moisture in every breath one exhales. This moisture is present with or without a mask. It escapes from the mask and goes into the air.

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this statement stand without a response. This is the kind of misinformation that has caused mask wearing to become so controversial. It may be true that some virus particles attach to the water vapor that we continuously breath out. But that is not the primary way the virus is transmitted. The virus is attached to the small water droplets that are expelled when we cough, sneeze, sing or talk loudly. Those droplets are effectively stopped by a decent mask. The better the mask, the fewer droplets escape. The main method of transmission is by liquid water, not water vapor.

[Linked Image]
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by SoundThumb
It may be true that some virus particles attach to the water vapor that we continuously breath out. But that is not the primary way the virus is transmitted.

It had never occurred to me that virus could attach to water vapor, anymore than it could to the nitrogen that makes up 78% of our air. Both are gases.

So I googled. I did not find any support for this idea anywhere, but there was some interesting information on water droplets and humidity that are relevant to this time of year (in the northern hemisphere where I live.)

It seems expelled water droplets evaporate. The more they evaporate, the farther they fly. Remember they are tiny, so there isn't much water in each. In high humidity they evaporate slowly, and bump into surfaces and stick more quickly; in low humidity they become smaller quickly and travel much farther and stay in the air longer.

Hospital infection rates seem to go up whenever humidity is below 40%, because of the increased transmission, and that is common any time we're in heating season. Probably that's a major component for colds and flu spreading during winter seasons.

So yes, masks do some good, they aren't perfect, but they are going to provide some increased level of safety, and anything helps. IMO, which is worth what you paid for it, but consider the logic.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe I just want to stay comfortable in my own echo chamber, but I'd rather not affiliate with people who lose the ability to function rationally around the issue of a small bit of face covering.

EDV if your economic situation creates a need for students who may be put off by mask wearing then that's a reasonable consideration.

Keep up the hand hygiene and good ventilation in your space.

If case rates are low in your area, then the risk of covid is probably less than the risk of any other cooties that circulate.

Learner
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Hmm, looking up EDV I get End-diastolic volume and elektronische Datenverarbeitung....

1989 Baldwin R
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
Hmm, looking up EDV I get End-diastolic volume and elektronische Datenverarbeitung....

The original poster who opened the topic goes by "EDV", like you go by "jdw". (I almost got caught out too. your second one becomes EDP in English - Electronic Data Processing). But no, EDV is a person's handle in the forum. wink

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
If your city is really covid free I see no point in wearing masks during the lessons.

B
B
Originally Posted by Candywoman
If you can go maskless, you should and so should your students. Ever notice a person's glasses fogging up while wearing a mask? That's because there is moisture in every breath one exhales. This moisture is present with or without a mask. It escapes from the mask and goes into the air. If you want a false sense of security, like Linus with his blanket, go ahead and wear the mask, or if you want to put the parents' minds at ease, wear a fake mask with as little cloth as possible. It's about appearances, not reality. Reality has left the building.

I feel exactly the same. For that matter whenever I cough or sneeze I also don't bother to cover my mouth and nose with tissue or my elbow. After all since it's not 100% effective in preventing some virus-laden droplets into the environment I think its fairly reasonable to not do anything at all.

Last edited by Blague; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Blague
. . . After all since it's not 100% effective in preventing some virus-laden droplets into the environment I think its fairly reasonable to not do anything at all.

I'm not sure if this is meant seriously, or ironically.

If it's ironic, or sarcastic, I have no problems with it.

If it's meant seriously, I'd extend the logic, and hope that readers understand that what I say _is_ meant as sarcasm:

. . . Since some people die in auto accidents -- even with seatbelts and airbags --
. . . . . I'm going to disconnect my airbags and not use a seatbelt when I drive.

The fallacy is the same as that in:

. . . "Vaccinated people occasionally get Covid, and occasionally die of it. So why should I get vaccinated?"

You can't guarantee a good outcome, but you _can_ shift the odds by what you choose to do.

(Moderators -- This is my only, and last, post on this topic.)

Last edited by Charles Cohen; Yesterday at 02:33 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Finishes and Finish Repair
by Larry Fine - 10/16/21 02:57 PM
How to Set VSL Latency in GarageBand
by TylerMorgan1 - 10/16/21 02:39 PM
Korg D1 with iReal Pro
by Johnmak - 10/16/21 09:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,621
Posts3,140,194
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission