2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (36251, anotherscott, Boboulus, Bruce In Philly, Animisha, Bostonmoores, 16 invisible), 671 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

FP-90x, PX-330
A
A
Hello everybody. I'm thinking about buying a Roland FP-90x and I would like you to tell me if It is good value for the money (1800€ here in my country). I saw that it is almost out of stock everywhere but I found one in a shop and I feel I should get it but I want to hear your opinions first. BTW, I don't really like neither NWX on p515 nor RH3 on es920. I already tried them and that's why I'm looking at FP-90x. Thanks for your help.

Great action, OK sounds (layer the sampled upright with modeled piano), not great speakers (like most DPs?), good usb interface, good analog ports. Included pedal isn't good unless you tape it to the floor. Good with headphones and external monitors. Consider a used FP90 or other DP with the PHA-50 action? Unless you want the usb interface, which I do. Heavy.

But also... sample bias: naturally those of us who own it like it.
But also... anywhere in stock is good value, because so much is out of stock.

Adult beginner. Roland DP. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Amadeus M.
Hello everybody. I'm thinking about buying a Roland FP-90x and I would like you to tell me if It is good value for the money (1800€ here in my country). I saw that it is almost out of stock everywhere but I found one in a shop and I feel I should get it but I want to hear your opinions first. BTW, I don't really like neither NWX on p515 nor RH3 on es920. I already tried them and that's why I'm looking at FP-90x. Thanks for your help.

1800 euro seems to be the price in Europe. With vat
If you like the fp-90x then it is a good value to you.

FP-90x, PX-330
S
S
Value is relative, as it depends on the needs of the individual. Personally, I needed just an affordable, quality do, and the p515 fit the bill, as I couldn't justify spending 400€ more for the roland. In your case, if Roland's action is the only one you like, I don't think you really have an alternative.

A
A
The problem MarkOfJohnson is that I need it to be portable, so, apart from a used FP-90, nothing else with the PHA-50 with speakers, because I'm not going to add any speakers to it since I'll play with headphones most of the time. I have seen a second hand Roland FP-90 for 1100€ but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's been a lot of time since it was released.

The point is that I want the best portable piano and, since I don't like NWX or RH3, I think that will be Roland FP-90X. I want it to last at least 6 years from know so that I can study properly piano all that time. I don't want to do a midway upgrade.

By the way, I would like you to tell me, from 1 to 10, how similar PHA50 action is similar to a grand piano action. I actually know it's not that easy to say because grand pianos have slightly different action feelings, but I mean generally. Specially, the weighting of the keys. Thanks 😊.

Last edited by Amadeus M.; 10/12/21 04:08 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Amadeus M.
By the way, I would like you to tell me, from 1 to 10, how similar PHA50 action is similar to a grand piano action.

This question and the answer to it is totally pointless. I have seen people answering both ways for several digital pianos, i.e., "this is the closest" and "not at all", including high-end ones and even hybrids. Also, I have seen several people stating, for several medium/high end DPs, that the transition from it to an AP is "easy" and "fast" to "smooth/immediate", whereas others claim it takes a while.

As usual, the answer to your question, only YOU can provide and, apparently, you have already did so. So, buy the FP90(X) as it seems to suit you the best.

And stop coming to this forum. smile More importantly, do not ask, after the buy, if it is good or what others think about it. (Yes, there are some that have done so around here). In both cases you may start second guessing yourself, which is not very healthy. smile NOTE: I am (kind of) kidding in this paragraph.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
A
A
I catched it EVC2017. I'll order the FP-90X right away. I hope the next time I come to this forum is with a photo of my brand new FP-90X. Thanks to everyone.

J
J
Came (sold) from Kawai ES920, i don't like the loud keybed.
Anyone had hands on ES920 and FP-90X to give feedback on the loudness, please?

Thank u.

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I haven’t played the es920 but the fp-90x is relatively quiet.

I’ve seen and heard videos of the es920 key noise and bounce. I would guess the Roland is going be quieter.

My Casio px330 has a fair amount of bounce and noise more like the Kawai actions.

There is still a little bounce on the key release on the fp-90x but the noise is very minimal.

I think Yamaha might have overall the least amount of bounce on release, at least for the ones I have played.

I think it would be worth a try on a fp90 or rd2000 or fp-90x to see what you think.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
E
Originally Posted by Purdy
You can actually control which supernatural piano is used at startup but it is a bit of a hack.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...land-fp-90x-owners-club.html#Post3136775

(…)
So for instance you do a custom tuning of the concert grand piano 1, save it to the library, select the stage mellow, go to the library and click on that saved configuration, the stage mellow becomes, the concert grand.

so you could save that to piano and next time you power up the stage mellow would be, the concert grand

Thank you all for your input smile

As a bloke who works with code, editing the registration files directly may be actually fine.

To see if I got this straight:

- I do a custom tuning of the stage mellow, not actually changing anything
- save it to the library, select the concert grand, go to the library and click on that saved configuration
- when I power up, the concert grand is called concert grand but it is in fact the stage mellow

This turns your example around… is that it?

Thanks!

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
You select the 7: stage mellow on the keyboard.

You store to app name it stage mellow

You select 1: concert piano at the keyboard

You select stage mellow From my library

You store to piano from the app

Let me know how that works

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
Dear all, my long wait for FP-90x just arrived.

I already have a condenser mic which is attached to my Audio Interface. How should i connect to my Audio interface to use the mic, or I cannot?

Or i have to buy another microphone to plug into mic input as indicated on pg 22 of the manual?

Thanks alot.

P.S: Coming from ES920 (sold) i'll give a general review soon if members are keen.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Some Audio Interface work in standalone mode. For a simple setup I would go buy another microphone myself.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The fp-90x need an unbalanced dynamic microphone.

I think the simplest thing would be to get one.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
One last time

This is what I ended up with tuning and regulating each keys loudness for the concert piano. You can see there was a lot of variation in loudness.

Again this is from the usb audio output into an iPad running decibel x and I captured the peak spl reading.

Previously I just took the peak reading at the keys frequency and that understated the loudness of the bass.

[Linked Image]

And the default

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
J
J
Thank you EPW & Purdy for sharing.

@Purdy: what brand/model would you recommend?

P
Purdy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Jojovan
Thank you EPW & Purdy for sharing.

@Purdy: what brand/model would you recommend?

There are a number of DJ karaoke microphones that come with a 1/4” output.

Shure has a PGA48 Dynamic Mic that has an option to come with a xlr to 1/4” output cable,

I don’t have any recommendations.

In theory you could use an adapter or a direct input box in reverse and use any xlr connector dynamic microphone but I have not tried that.

I have not used the mic input on the FP-90x.

FP-90x, PX-330
Here is my homemade DP 'console' for my Roland FP90X slab DP. Cheap and easy to make, from pine planks. If I get a do over I'll make the top shelf deeper and sit atop the sides, not inside them. Also I'd make it 1" taller to give enough room for my knee when on the pedal. I made this because I don't like the speakers on any DP within my price range. With this I sit the speakers (Genelec), laptop, and music stand (book stand) on the shelf above the DP. (Posted because Purdy asked to see it :-)

[Linked Image]

Adult beginner. Roland DP. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
V
V
Thank you for the photo. I thought that the monitors were inside the cabinet. Nonetheless it looks neat and sturdy.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission