2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (almo82, Calavera, cygnusdei, Anglagard44, Charles Cohen, dima5222, David B, Animisha, deadlymajesty, 13 invisible), 998 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol
Yamaha samples (e.g. CFX) are shared among the entire digital instruments.

Wrong. Low-end Yamaha instruments feature samples of the CFIIIS grand.

Yamaha P-515
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by napilopez
For what its worth, Full embertone now runs quite smoothly on my PC which is new, but not remarkably powerful either (an i7 laptop from last year). Number of layers doesn't really matter -- I have it set to 36 -- just not turning on the HQ pedaling option. I'm not sure what changed on my end but I really never get dropouts from it. It's not for everyone, but I do find its character very inspiring to play, while not being *too* much of a character piano.

I think the Lite version at least is worth giving a try. For just $39 it is IMO the best bang-for-your-buck library out there. Going from 12 layers to 36 isn't as big of a difference as you might originally assume (consider most digital pianos until recently only had something like 4 layers).

I'd also like to point out I disagree with MTa88 that garritan is heavy on resources. It simply requires a lot of disk space, but I find it uses less CPU than pretty much all the other VSTs mentioned here. I don't think I've ever heard a crackle or pop from it and it even runs smoothly for me while running a bunch of other applications too. Unlike the walker, which indeed can be very hit or miss with performance, I do generally find people say the Garritan is quite smooth. I just don't like it much because it's too 'clean' sounding. I do like a little imperfection.

If you are interested in the Modern U, I'd consider selling my license. It is without a doubt the most playable sampled piano VST I've encountered out of the box, practically perfect on my Casio PX-560. But I just don't like the sound of the Yamaha upright much, and I miss the stronger bass from the grand libraries.

So of the VI Labs instruments, I end up playing the ravenscroft way more, even though I find its recording quality to be just a bit inferior (the bass notes don't have quite as much bite or dynamic range as Garritan, VSL or Pianoteq). I really love the ravenscroft and I always come back to it.

I find myself playing the Bosendorfer upright a lot more than the Modern U even though I think playability is a bit worse(maybe just controller dependent) and it's more resource intensive. IMO it is a highly underrated library. The advantage of the VSL upright is that you can use per-note editing to make the bass notes louder and easily expand the dynamic range. By gradually increasing the couple lowest octaves by about 4 dB and turning the dynamic range to 116%, I find it sounds a lot more like a small grand while still retaining tons of character.

My most used VST right now is the VSL bluethner. For me it plays perfectly, and increasing the bass similar to the upright makes it sound a good deal more modern. But I realize that's probably too much of a character piano for many (although I think it can work quite well). I can't decide if I prefer the VSL imperial or 280VC more, but I think I'm leaning towards the 280. I just find it's a little harsh in the middle octaves, with a harder attack than I'd like even when the Synchron Player tells me I'm playing pp, so it's not just my stubby fingers =] This can be managed with the velocity curves though.

Any of the mentioned libraries in this thread should be a massive jump over the FP30's built-in sounds.

Thanks!

R
R
ahhh crap,

All this talk about VST's have got me itching about getting another one.

Must stay calm. Must not go to the dark side of the force.

I must say Noire sure looks interesting. Never tried that one

Ron

J
J
I’m probably an outlier but after having tried several sampled VST’s I now use Pianoteq exclusively and am very happy with it.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
ahhh crap,

All this talk about VST's have got me itching about getting another one.

Must stay calm. Must not go to the dark side of the force.

I must say Noire sure looks interesting. Never tried that one

Ron

Noire sure is a dark force 😄.

And yes, I observe a similar effect in myself. And yes, must stay off 🤗.

Cheers and happy self-control,

HZ

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Do people post recordings on DP/VI here? I'd like to hear them in action.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
V
V
From time to time. But you are better served by searching on YouTube...

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Do people post recordings on DP/VI here? I'd like to hear them in action.

Search the Adult Beginner's Forum quarterly recitals. There is a searchable index of 15 years or more of recitals. At least as of one time, you could sort all the performances by the piano used. This has been very helpful to me when I want to hear what a VST or acoustic piano sounds like in the hands of normal users. These recital performances are available in MP3 format, and are usually not doctored the way commercial YouTube videos might be.

Do not be afraid that you will be drowning in simplistic beginner music. These recitals feature a lot of highly accomplished pianists playing complex and difficult pieces.

It is a great place to audition VSTs.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by JJHLH
I’m probably an outlier but after having tried several sampled VST’s I now use Pianoteq exclusively and am very happy with it.

I've been using the Pianoteq-7 Standard Demo for the last several days. And after extensively playing all the piano tones with the various built-in effects. I narrowed down my top 3 favorites. At first all the piano tones sounded muffled, regardless of eq'ing or added effects. But it was probably because I was using a 1/8"(3.5mm) aux-in cable to my monitors. But once I got the proper cables that arrived yesterday, there was a significant difference in audio quality and audio clarity.

NY Steinway D; 1st (small hall or jazz studio, EQ: Presence)
HB Steinway D; 2nd(small hall or jazz studio, EQ: Presence)
Ant Petrof 275; 3rd (small hall or jazz studio, EQ: Presence)

To my ears at least, the Petrof has a tad warmer tone compared to the Steinway.

I'm still looking forward to getting the Garritan CFX and maybe the Embertone Walker 1955 D. Quite honestly I don't mind using the Pianoteq Demo. But I assume with the paid version, the sound quality should be substantially improved?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Raf702
Quite honestly I don't mind using the Pianoteq Demo. But I assume with the paid version, the sound quality should be substantially improved?

No. The only difference between demo and full version is that in the demo certain keys are silent, and after 20 minutes it goes completely silent, and then you have to restart it. In the full version all keys are with sound no matter for how long you play.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Don’t count on an improved sound quality. The demo is made to make you evaluate the quality of the product with only 2 issues : some disabled black notes and a 20 minutes limit.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Don’t count on an improved sound quality. The demo is made to make you evaluate the quality of the product with only 2 issues : some disabled black notes and a 20 minutes limit.

Mwa ha ha! I beat you to it by a fraction of a second. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Originally Posted by Raf702
Quite honestly I don't mind using the Pianoteq Demo. But I assume with the paid version, the sound quality should be substantially improved?

No. The only difference between demo and full version is that in the demo certain keys are silent, and after 20 minutes it goes completely silent, and then you have to restart it. In the full version all keys are with sound no matter for how long you play.

Got it, thanks!

I also noticed regarding the timer, even though the Demo indicates 20 minutes of play. The timer seems to allow me to reset it up to 50 minutes.

Last edited by Raf702; 10/03/21 11:44 AM.
B
B
Regarding Embertone Walker's load on the computer:

I can run it at 36 velocities, everything on the details page on, including adaptive releases and it runs absolutely fine. I don't touch the pedal setting. That stays at ECO. Go for HQ or HQ+ and it's goodnight grandma.

If I have nothing else going on on the PC I can run 2 microphones but quickly run out of CPU power if I'm sloppy with the pedal.

I'm using an old Windows 7 PC - G860, 8gig ram, SSD, and an old outboard sound card - Focusrite Saffire LE. All power saving features are turned off - it's not a laptop. The player is the free standalone Kontakt player. It's not going through a DAW.

Maybe I've been lucky but I have no problems running it. I do have other problems, like it's out of tune in some places and there's a volume drop in the upper registers when the sus pedal is used that's not there with other VSTs.

I took the sus pedal issue up with Embertone - even sent them sound files demonstrating it - they have yet to fix it.

Despite these problems I'm happy with it. It's not perfect but it comes closest to the sound I was looking for. Just wish they would fix the sus pedal volume issue. Plays havoc with dynamics.

B
B
Hi and sorry for spamming, but I have a Garritan CFX full for sale, and if anyone wants to buy from Garritan or Sweetwater, then you can buy cheaper from me, but it is as good as directly bought, since Garritan transfers the license to you:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ritan-cfx-full-for-sale.html#Post3162862

We can talk about the price, I just want to sell, because I am not using it at all.

FP-30, CLP-645
Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 6, Addictive Keys
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Barde
Hi and sorry for spamming, but I have a Garritan CFX full for sale, and if anyone wants to buy from Garritan or Sweetwater, then you can buy cheaper from me, but it is as good as directly bought, since Garritan transfers the license to you:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ritan-cfx-full-for-sale.html#Post3162862

We can talk about the price, I just want to sell, because I am not using it at all.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep this in mind.

Hello fellow hoarders!

is there a cure for this VST cravings?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
J
J
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Hello fellow hoarders!

buy just one more than you currently own

Originally Posted by jackopiano
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Hello fellow hoarders!

buy just one more than you currently own

like wine... just one sip, eh? smile

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With my upgrade from a 2002 Clavinova (CLP150) to a N1X, I am get weaned of VST. The N1X sound engine is quick to load and good enough.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,257
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission