2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3162485 10/07/21 10:24 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I am using the M-Audio Hammer 88 as my MIDI controller. I use it to just play on as well, and for me the action is just fine. Problem is, this keyboard has no onboard sounds at all, it's just a MIDI controller. So I'm having to spin up my DAW and load a sound every time I want to play it. This has turned out to be a PITA.

However, all the other DPs I've looked at have a huge assortment of sounds and effect and button and knobs, none of which I will ever use, as I do all that in the DAW. What I need is a MIDI controller with decent action and just a basic piano sound or three. I don't need all that performance stuff, nor organs and harpsichords and cheesy strings and all that. Seems like I can only get a controller with either NO onboard sounds or else A THOUSAND onboard sounds and options (which I'm having to pay for of course).

Any suggestions?

My work is available at https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Also on Spotify, Apple, all those subscription places under Jim of Seattle.

I have a website I never remember to update: www.jimofseattle.com

Also jkoseattle@comcast.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
At one side of the Yamaha range of DP, you have the P45 : just one function button you use in coordination with the 88 keys, 10 sounds, not huge !

At the other side you have AvantGrand, with typically the N1X, few buttons (9) and 15 sounds, not huge too ! (The keyboard is more than descent wink )

More seriously, don’t bother with the 1000 sounds (there are generally far less sounds), and compare the different pianos with the default piano sound or an other piano. Putting many sounds doesn’t cost much, putting one good sound costs much (this is why you have on Yamaha some resonance synthesis for example).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
P
I believe there is a Raspberry Pi version of the Pianoteq VST. For some 40 bucks for the Raspi, plus active speakers plus Pianoteq License you can turn your M-Audio Hammer 88 into a complete system. Low-end yes, but still better than a cheap slab with integrated speakers.

Just be cafeful not to spend too much on the speakers, otherwise you will also want to buy a USB Audio DAC to really take advantage of them. The Raspi integrated 3.5mm audio-out is said to be underwhelming.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Get a Casio PX-150 or px-160, used. They're both out of production, but the action is reasonable, they have a few built-in sounds, and MIDI-to-USB connectivity. Very few knobs and buttons.

Any of the Yamaha equivalents (P-105 / 115 / 125 ) would also be fine.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Dexibell SX7 rack loaded with a couple of their platinum pianos will accomplish this. All the non-piano sounds can be overwritten with the large samples of the platinum pianos so that you use all of the sample memory for a couple of pianos. I believe it also can function as an outboard DAC/soundcard for your computer.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
There are many digital pianos with just a few sounds and just a few buttons.

Yamaha P-125, Roland FP-30, Kawai ES110, Korg D1 (no speakers), Casio PX-S1100, Medeli SP-201, Kurzweil KA90 etc...

These are all portable ones but there are cabinet models too.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
As a curiosity CME used to have a master controller with an optional plugin board for a piano sound or a few piano sounds. Maybe not anymore(?)

J
J
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
There are many digital pianos with just a few sounds and just a few buttons.

Yamaha P-125, Roland FP-30, Kawai ES110, Korg D1 (no speakers), Casio PX-S1100, Medeli SP-201, Kurzweil KA90 etc...

These are all portable ones but there are cabinet models too.

korg b2 also

Last edited by jackopiano; 10/07/21 02:20 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jim of Seattle
Any suggestions?

Yes: that controller with 88 controls, that act on hammers that hit strings (physical). And it does not require electricity to work. smile

On a serious note, I doubt you will find an option with only one sound. The gazillion sounds that some offer are more a matter of marketing than real usefulness as most are simply bad (e.g. on my RD2000) but still the rationale is if they do not offer it, they are in disadvantage.

There are some entry level DPs mentioned above that have relatively few sounds. My ES8 (not entrly level though) has, I think, around 30 sounds.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I don't like VSTs for the same reason you don't.

The extra sounds are not adding any cost to the piano. The cost is set by what the market will bear, not what it costs to make. It's cheaper for you to ignore the organ and harpsichord sounds than for Kawai, Roland, or Yamaha to dedicate a special assembly line for pianos that have only one sound -- that would add to the cost, not make it cheaper.

Buy a keyboard for which you like the keybed and the default piano sound, at a cost you're willing to pay.

I'd suggest the Kawai ES110 if you don't need great speakers, or the ES520 or Yamaha P515 if you do.

Or, as EVC2017 suggests, get a real piano. There can be some great deals in refurbished acoustics.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
J
J
If it is simplicity you are looking for and you happen to have an iPhone/iPad then perhaps you should consider keeping your M-Audio keyboard and downloading an app with the sounds you need. Boot up is instant and there is not much to carry about.
If its just piano you need I'd recommend Pure Piano. For an extended sound set maybe Korg Module or bs-16i plus some soundfonts.

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 10/07/21 04:34 PM.
A
A
When I was travelling thos summer I bought an Alesis Q49 and plugged it into my phone running Perfect Piano, and then listened using headphones.

Very simple, portable and free.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
J
J
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
If it is simplicity you are looking for and you happen to have an iPhone/iPad then perhaps you should consider keeping your M-Audio keyboard and downloading an app with the sounds you need. Boot up is instant and there is not much to carry about.
If its just piano you need I'd recommend Pure Piano. For an extended sound set maybe Korg Module or bs-16i plus some soundfonts.

if you're on android and this solution interests you, check this thread for info on apps (free and paid)

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3113797/piano-keyboard-vsts-for-android.html

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1 sound, 1 action: Kawai ES110

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RinTin
1 sound, 1 action: Kawai ES110

Don't care much for the sound (might not have been on default when i got it) but for pianoteq, it's the best for me. Lovely keyboard.

Last edited by peterws; 10/10/21 12:39 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Agree, best bang for the buck where I am...

Btw, am I right that the ES110 key action is a folded type?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Btw, am I right that the ES110 key action is a folded type?

Yes, but who care ? You just have to try it and know if it is good or not. Only this matters.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I believe that all DP actions are "folded", except:

(a) some "hybrid DP's" that use actions similar to (some would say "identical with") upright and/or grand acoustic actions (Yamaha NU1(x), N1/ N2/ N3,
Kawai NV series);

(b) the Kawai DP's that use their "Grand Feel" actions.

Don't take this for gospel, I haven't done an exhaustive search.

I agree with Frederic -- it's not as simple as "folded bad, not-folded good".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We can add Casio GP310, GP510… which are not folded.

P
P
Even real acoustic upright actions are folded ... 90 degrees upwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission