2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, Abdol, b4xter, BravoRomeo, 36251, An Old Square, Animisha, 15 invisible), 655 guests, and 469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Greetings all,

I was thinking about buying this soundbar as and alternative for external monitors.
https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/804382/web_YH928A0EN_YAS-306_om_UCABGLV_En.pdf

My DP is in a 35 m2 living room with no accoustic treatments. Do you think that summing this SB to my internal speakers (2x20 w) could improve the sound experience?

The plus:
I guess that this SB is made for average sound room (living-room) so it is already tweaked acoustically.
The tech spec says that frequencies responses are:
L/R from 150 hz to 22khz (2-1/8") (2x30w)
tweeter from 4khz to 23 khz (3/4")
subwoofer from 55 to 150hz (3") (60w)
Sure all these are small in comparison to 8" woofer and 10" sub, but the frequencies responses are not that bad for piano, assuming that it is already tweaked for "average living-room" sound caracteristics.
Also since it is a bar it is more visually convenient than external speakers. I was thinking about putting it above the pedal unit bar, or on the wall in front of the DP.
It has analog input jacks.
The cons:
I do not know if a soundbar is really a good device for digital piano, or is a great match with internal speakers.
No possibility to tweak the bar, only some sound presets.
The price, almost 300 euros here.

Do you, guys, use some sound bars (or this one in particular)? Is it worth it?
Seeing the tech specs, what are your opinions?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by playplayplay; 10/08/21 04:03 AM.

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
W
W
Soundbars are generally better than the absolutely terrible speakers built into flatscreen TVs, but they are still massively compromised as speakers.

The drivers are about 5cm in diameter, there's simply a limit to what your can expect of them. Your DP probably has at least a 12-16cm woofers, and possibly some smaller tweeters in addition to this.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I would not expect much satisfaction from those tiny speakers.

Since you do not identify any reason to rush into this improvement, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with your local used audio market. In my location, quality used speakers and amplifiers oftentimes sell for about 20% of their original price, so very good quality equipment is frequently available for much less than you would pay for that soundbar.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Roughly speaking, the amount of air that a speaker cone can move, varies as the cube of the diameter.

So an 8" woofer cone can move (8/3)**3 = 19 times as much air as a 3" woofer cone. 3" diameter just isn't big enough to give reasonable loudness in a 35 sq meter room.

I believe wimbledon is right -- the sound bar is better than the TV speakers, but not nearly good enough for piano.

Aside: I'm using a soundbar, and it's much better than my TV's built-in loudspeakers. I haven't compared it to my Behringer MS40 powered monitor speakers. The MS40's, IMHO, aren't really good enough for convincing piano sound. Close, but not adequate.

If you read the threads here, you'll find favorable reports on powered monitors with 5" woofers. Some people upgrade to 8" woofers.

. . . What DP do you have, and what size speakers does it use,
. . . and how much power do the amps have ?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by wimbledon
Soundbars are generally better than the absolutely terrible speakers built into flatscreen TVs, but they are still massively compromised as speakers.

The drivers are about 5cm in diameter, there's simply a limit to what your can expect of them. Your DP probably has at least a 12-16cm woofers, and possibly some smaller tweeters in addition to this.

It was my fear about soundbar. My DP has 2 speakers box with bass reflex (each 20w). Kawai does not disclose more info on the speakers itself.
The sound is great but I would like to add some others speakers to get more involving sounds.
The good point about the soundbar (this and the one from Teufel) is that they have integrated soundcard, and I can use it directly from the laptop running pianoteq, without the DP speakers.
Also is more visual neutral than monitors or hi-fi setup.
Thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I would not expect much satisfaction from those tiny speakers.

Since you do not identify any reason to rush into this improvement, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with your local used audio market. In my location, quality used speakers and amplifiers oftentimes sell for about 20% of their original price, so very good quality equipment is frequently available for much less than you would pay for that soundbar.

It is a possibility, but I won't be allowed to put amp and hi-fi... I do not have all the liberty to choose which device has the right to enter the place.....But thank you.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
So an 8" woofer cone can move (8/3)**3 = 19 times as much air as a 3" woofer cone. 3" diameter just isn't big enough to give reasonable loudness in a 35 sq meter room.

. . . What DP do you have, and what size speakers does it use,
. . . and how much power do the amps have ?

Thank you Charles for the info... Great to learn something new.
My DP is a kawai ES920, kawai does not disclose much about these speakers. (they are great with internal sounds)
What I would like is something to use together with internal speakers while playing piano sound of the DP, but also something with integrated soundcard to use on standalone while playing the VST. (also visual friendly or better visual "unseen" is something I have to deal with...)

C
C
Assuming your DP has the right outputs for L/R speakers, I would also highly recommend a set of active studio monitors over a soundbar. The sound from a soundbar will be optimized for movies or video games. In other words, a soundbar will produce a very colored (enhanced) sound that is not too desirable for piano playing. Given these are meant to be played loud with sound constantly coming from the TV, soundbars tend to generate “hiss” (A.K.A. white noise or self noise). You really don’t notice it on your TV, but this can get really annoying and distracting when practicing on a DP as you sit much closer to the sound source (speakers) and have many pauses or moments of silence.

A pair of studio 5” monitors such as KRK Rokit RP5 G4 (there are other good brands) are not too big and have a better frequency response (43 Hz - 40 Khz) than the Yamaha soundbar. These particular KRK studio monitors are known to work well in rooms that do not have sound treatment and come with an app for room calibration. Once positioned at the right height (the point between tweeter and woofer at ear height) and angled toward your ears, you will enjoy a vivid stereo sound that is true(r) to the sound generated by your digital piano or VST piano. The pair (sold) retails at Thomann for less than the Yamaha soundbar (read reviews on their website). I believe you can also buy them from Amazon which also offers an excellent return policy.

As others have suggested, I believe you will ultimately be much happier with this sort of setup for your piano playing than using any soundbar.

N
N
As others have noted, you will likely be better off with stereo speakers. I actually don't think here's anything inherently wrong with the soundbar form factor, especially if paired with a subwoofer to offload the lows that are likely to introduce distortion or compression (SPL Limiting in the bass, usually).

However most soundbars:

1) just aren't that great
2) have no data to back up their performance
3) have messy directivity (sound changes significantly depending on the angle you're listening to them from)
4) may have hiss, as noted above
5) are not what piano sounds are designed for

For 300 Euro, you would be better off getting decent monitors. JBLs, Kalis, Recent KRKs are all good. Even the tiny iloud micromonitor is excellent if you don't have very high volume requirements and/or position them less than 1m away (they're designed to listened to from 0.5m).

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by playplayplay
Greetings all,

I was thinking about buying this soundbar as and alternative for external monitors.
https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/804382/web_YH928A0EN_YAS-306_om_UCABGLV_En.pdf

Do you, guys, use some sound bars (or this one in particular)? Is it worth it?
Seeing the tech specs, what are your opinions?

thanks in advance.

I use two sound bars , one faces into straight up and the other straight down with opposite phase. It creates a very nice piano console 3D sound.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you, Chris, Napilopez and Emenelton.

Seems there is a consensus for monitors or amp + hi-fi speakers. And I fully agree that these are the most suitable for DP and VST. But I just can't put them in the living-room.

Emenelton, may I ask you what are the tech specs of your sound bars?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
[Linked Image]

It’s not just tech specs

the sum is greater than the individual parts

VMAI

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by emenelton
[Linked Image]

It’s not just tech specs

the sum is greater than the individual parts

VMAI

That is impressive. May i ask how did you get to this DIY setup, what made you joining 2 soundbars together and displayed them that way?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I wanted to project sound in multiple directions, like a piano.

The blue box towards the bottom splits the stereo signal to both sound bars in opposite phases.

The downward bar is adjusted louder than the upward. The piano has a nice 3 dimensional console sound.

A single sound bar however when facing directly towards me, for a number of reasons, doesn’t sound good.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for sharing.

I think i will go for a soundbar with integrated subwoofer and soundcard, that will allow me to use directly the vst from my computer to the soundbar.

I will send it back or keep it for the tv, if the piano sound is not great.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by playplayplay
Thanks for sharing.

I think i will go for a soundbar with integrated subwoofer and soundcard, that will allow me to use directly the vst from my computer to the soundbar.

I will send it back or keep it for the tv, if the piano sound is not great.

A lot of sound bars have latency built in which makes them unusable for VST real time playback.
It’s impossible to know until you try them.

Good luck!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission