2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
There are so many bad YT piano educators getting tons of views. Please consider Jeremy Siskind to view and share with your friends. He's amazing and shares amazing content every video and can not believe his low view count. What a hero!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
I second this post! Jeremy is fantastic both as a player and teacher. His videos are among the best on YouTube.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
D
D
Absolutely agree. I found all the videos very helpful. Also check his books!

This one on rhythmic vocabulary is excellent. Jazz articulation and rhythm is a key skill, but normally every book focus more on harmony.

And a this a very common question: how to practice Jazz:

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
The rhythmic vocabulary cannot be divorced from pronouncing the articulation that we learn from the horn players.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Found a similar video also of Siskind , but the corresponding playing movements still remain to us a mystery .

36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Here's another great video. IMO, he gives real lessons that are useful to practice and think about. I love how he sells his book and then teaches, no re-directional promoting.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
J
J
I watch this guy a lot and I like the way he teaches. I would like to know more about his book. At present I am studying/learning from two books by Mark Levine. The Jazz Piano Book and the Drop 2 Book. If I purchased Siskind's book would I just be buying what I already have or would I get more information.
Would it help me to study both books at the same time to get two explanations on a subject? How many pages is his book? If you already have a copy, what is your opinion. Thanks John

D
D
Hi John,

I have both books but I am not working with any of them at the moment because I am a beginner and none of them are method books.
They probably overlap sometimes but I think Jeremey´s book is in my opinion the best purchase if you are interested in solo jazz piano. You will get much more information on that topic than on Levine´s book.

Siskind´s book describes all different styles of solo piano from stride to swing, ballads and classical influences. Audio is not included but the youtube channel demonstrates many of the concepts in the book. It is not necessary start from the beginning. Actually the first chapter is for stride wich is an extremely demanding technique. Better start with "stride like" style. Siskind´s book is 181 pages long. Remember it is not for beginners

Another book to consider is solo jazz piano is Bill Dobbins' "The Contemporary Jazz Pianist" . It is a method book of four volumes (I think solo piano is in volume 3 and 4). But I think it is not as "friendly" as Siskind´s, and you need to have good sheet reading skills to benefit from it. I recommend watching Dobbin´s youtube video.

A third one is "Solo Jazz Piano: The Linear Approach" by Neil Olmstead, but this is almost exclusively for bass line in the style of Tristano and McKenna.

Last edited by Daniel_m; 11/12/21 09:41 AM.
J
J
Thanks Daniel. I am new to jazz. I only got interested in the last six months. Before that I felt that improvisation was just a bunch of notes. Today I still feel mostly the same way but that is just me. I think that there is a lot about jazz to learn and use that makes real good sense. With that knowledge applied, one could play better arrangements then what sheet music provides. I play mostly ballads - old favorites, love songs, folk and country. I am learning and especially like the drop 2 method. I will check out the other books and maybe buy Suskind's book.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission