2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Boboulus, AndreaH, Animisha, Andrew E., accordeur, Adem, 19 invisible), 692 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, sorry for my English I'll try my best 🙏

I am a keyboard player, I started learning to play piano two years ago, using my Korg Triton extreme 61, It has "Yamaha FS action"
i really like the keybed feel

i also got Triton pro x 88 key (Real Weighted Hammer Action) when i started playing the piano but i sold it because it has i really heavy action and it's very slow for my music style, + I have no space for more than a one keyboard in my studio desk
I do not know if I was so new on the piano and did not give it a chance?

what i am looking for.... is a 88 key Weighted action to play piano.. and suitable for all other instruments

Now i have no idea if all Digital piano have the same fell "heavy - slow action" like my old Triton "88 key"????
i am from Jordan "Middle East" there are no chance to play-testing a variety of different instruments before making my decision
and the Customs in my country like mafia
They sometimes take more than the product price!
But I am forced to do so, because there are no options

I want your advice to buy one through the Tomann store "Thomann shipping up to 30KG for 45$ to my country" 🙏
what is the best DP or Stage piano can i use it for piano ans synths sounds?
note: i don't care about voices because I use Pianoteq and swam sax VSTi Etc...

Last edited by ANAFREE; 10/05/21 06:28 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Why do you want to change from "synth action" (like the Triton Extreme 61) to "weighted-key" or "hammer" action (like on 88-key digital pianos) ?

I think that there is better control over dynamics (loud/soft) with a weighted-key action. But there are no other advantages --

. . . and all weighted-key actions are "slower" than synth actions.

When keyboard players start to play weighted-key actions, there is always a "period of adjustment", as your fingers get used to "striking" the keys, rather than "pressing" the keys. Until you adjust, all you can think is:

. . . "This is slow and heavy and hard to play!"

A suggestion:

. . . Keep using the Triton 61 on Pianoteq.

. . . If you can get good control of dynamics with it, keep using it.

If you keep practicing o weighted keys, you _will_ get used to the weighted keys on the 88-key keyboards. It may take several months.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much Charles
Yes i really like Triton extreme 61 key action but i want to improve my piano technical, 61key is not enough to learn piano
We do not have Triton 76key in my country, I do not know what to do really! I love the piano and serious learning and at the same time I love playing the rest of the instruments
+
Since I started learning piano my abilities have improved a lot in chords / arpeggios/ fingers independence, in general i became much better as a musician and a keyboard player

I bought Korg Triton 76 key through Ebay seller
After we agreed for the price and shipping costs i surprised by his message next day, he didn't have 76 key and wanted to send me 61 key
Of course I asked him to cancel my purchase and refund my money

i don't know, should i look for another one "Triton 76key" Or there are Digital Pianos close to my Triton keys weight "Or slightly heavily".

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think the usual suspects in your case would be the entry level DPs, such as Kawai ES110 (*), Yamaha P125 or Roland FP30X. If you want a weighted piano keyboard, then these would be your low cost options (there must be others but these are the ones - from memory - that are more "popular" around here).

I don't know the Korg triton 88, I have no idea how it compares with the ones above regarding keys weight (maybe someone else in the forum has firsthand experience with it). ES110 is reputed as light for some forum members, the other two have varied opinions (some feel they are heavy, some feel they are OK). Considering it is a matter of perception, unfortunately you have no way to know in advance how they will feel for YOU, which is what really matters. You may find all of them heavy though, if you are expecting them to feel like your Triton Extreme 61.

Are there stores that carry Roland or Yamaha (or Kawai for that matter) in Jordan? If affirmative, my suggestion is you go and test them yourself.

About whatever weighted keyboard being able to work for all of your virtual instruments, probably the answer is NO and you should consider making room for more than one keyboard OR, have the digital piano and a compact controller with synth keys (for sax you do not need 6 octaves).

I hope this helps.

(*) Not my choice due to my not so good experience with my ES8 but there are many enthusiasts in this forum that love their ES110, so...

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
D
I find the Studiologic Numa Compact 2X makes a good 88 midi controller for pretty much everything. It has semi weighted keys which are great for fast playing of synth, organ etc. It's a compromise for piano, but once you get used to it, it is quite expressive for that too. I like the fact that it has release velocity and aftertouch too, for a relative inexpensive machine. I won't detail all the specs here, just have a look at the website.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Kawai MP11SE, Kronos2-73, Yamaha Montage8, Korg D1
Other important stuff: Studiologic NC2X, NI Komplete Ultimate 11, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra, Pianoteq 7, Experimenta Due.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I think that there is better control over dynamics (loud/soft) with a weighted-key action. But there are no other advantages --
Another advantage is that keys are less likely to trigger from just brushing past them. So when you are quickly reaching for a distant note, you are less likely to accidentally trigger an adjacent note on a hammer action board.

A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by EVC2017
I think the usual suspects in your case would be the entry level DPs, such as Kawai ES110 (*), Yamaha P125 or Roland FP30X. If you want a weighted piano keyboard, then these would be your low cost options (there must be others but these are the ones - from memory - that are more "popular" around here).

I don't know the Korg triton 88, I have no idea how it compares with the ones above regarding keys weight (maybe someone else in the forum has firsthand experience with it). ES110 is reputed as light for some forum members, the other two have varied opinions (some feel they are heavy, some feel they are OK). Considering it is a matter of perception, unfortunately you have no way to know in advance how they will feel for YOU, which is what really matters. You may find all of them heavy though, if you are expecting them to feel like your Triton Extreme 61.

Are there stores that carry Roland or Yamaha (or Kawai for that matter) in Jordan? If affirmative, my suggestion is you go and test them yourself.

About whatever weighted keyboard being able to work for all of your virtual instruments, probably the answer is NO and you should consider making room for more than one keyboard OR, have the digital piano and a compact controller with synth keys (for sax you do not need 6 octaves).

I hope this helps.

(*) Not my choice due to my not so good experience with my ES8 but there are many enthusiasts in this forum that love their ES110, so...

Thank you so much EVC2017
Unfortunately, Just a one seller as far as I know, who has some Kawai and Casio models. Kawai kdp70/ Kawai kdp110/ Casio PX770 / Casio AP270
https://jo.opensooq.com/ar/%D9%85%D8%AA%D8%A7%D8%AC%D8%B1/dukkan-piano-1927790

i asked him about Kawai Kdp70 It sells for about $1,650
I don't like Casio products at all frown

I don't know if I should take your advice and find extra space for the piano, If I'm going to do that, I'll think to get a stage piano something like Roland RD-2000 because it has physical modeling eingine just like Pianoteq / good controllers for Midi
it will cost me $2,039 + 45$ shipping + Customs , I can't guess the cost of customs.

A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
I find the Studiologic Numa Compact 2X makes a good 88 midi controller for pretty much everything. It has semi weighted keys which are great for fast playing of synth, organ etc. It's a compromise for piano, but once you get used to it, it is quite expressive for that too. I like the fact that it has release velocity and aftertouch too, for a relative inexpensive machine. I won't detail all the specs here, just have a look at the website.

Thank you Deltajockey smile You're the second person َwho advise me to take a look on Studiologic Numa Compact 2X 👍

A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Another advantage is that keys are less likely to trigger from just brushing past them. So when you are quickly reaching for a distant note, you are less likely to accidentally trigger an adjacent note on a hammer action board.
this is certainly a very important point 👍 Thank you Anotherscott

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ANAFREE
Thank you Deltajockey smile You're the second person َwho advise me to take a look on Studiologic Numa Compact 2X 👍
If you don't need the 9 sliders or its organ/VA synth engine functions, you can also look at the less expensive Numa Compact 2.

A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
If you don't need the 9 sliders or its organ/VA synth engine functions, you can also look at the less expensive Numa Compact 2.

Are both have the same keybed?

D
D

Yes, as far as I'm aware they are the same keybed/machine essentially, but if you want to use it as a controller, the organ sliders are also designed to work as external parameter sliders for vst's/daw.
Some peple apparently don't like the little pitch/mod levers, but I find they just need need be gotten used to also.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Kawai MP11SE, Kronos2-73, Yamaha Montage8, Korg D1
Other important stuff: Studiologic NC2X, NI Komplete Ultimate 11, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra, Pianoteq 7, Experimenta Due.
O
O
My personal opinion is a piano style keyboard is useless for synth playing, and a synth style keyboard isn’t very good if you want to learn the piano.

Over the years I’ve tried various things, but I never found something that allowed me to happily do both (of course this will depend on playing style)

Yes I can play the piano on a synth keyboard, but learning the piano on one didn’t work for me.

Playing synth/organ on a fully weighted bed simply didn’t work at all with me

I ended up with a synth midi controller and a separate digital piano.

[Linked Image]
A
ANAFREE Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Deltajockey

Yes, as far as I'm aware they are the same keybed/machine essentially, but if you want to use it as a controller, the organ sliders are also designed to work as external parameter sliders for vst's/daw.
Some peple apparently don't like the little pitch/mod levers, but I find they just need need be gotten used to also.

Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
My personal opinion is a piano style keyboard is useless for synth playing, and a synth style keyboard isn’t very good if you want to learn the piano.

Over the years I’ve tried various things, but I never found something that allowed me to happily do both (of course this will depend on playing style)

Yes I can play the piano on a synth keyboard, but learning the piano on one didn’t work for me.

Playing synth/organ on a fully weighted bed simply didn’t work at all with me

I ended up with a synth midi controller and a separate digital piano.

Deltajockey, Ojustaboo
Thank you guys for your great advises

As Ojustaboor said.
Looks like I'm going to keep my Triton for synth and buy a Digital/ Stage Piano, in this case i have to buy a piano with beautiful sounds Because I'm not going to put it next to the computer or use it as a controller, Because there's no space on my studio desk As i said before smile

D
D
I've been playing my various keybeds in my usual manner with your query in mind. I have a couple of instruments which I use daily that are weighted and I find them perfectly fine for piano and synth alike. I, like you tend to play a multitude of instruments and synth sounds, and have no trouble using the weighted keys I have become used to. From my experience, it's all about giving yourself time to adjust to any "quality" keybed, weighted or not. Not sure I should detail my favourites, as it goes against what most people advise here, and doesn't fit the specification mould, but they work well for me because I have spent virtually years adapting to them:)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Voicing
by Senahoi - 05/22/22 01:42 PM
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,180
Posts3,193,617
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission