2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I teach a 5 year old autistic boy who blows me away with what he can do. He can play the melodic line of really complex songs by ear. He is now starting to play both hands together and adding in thirds and fifths. His sense of rhythm is amazing. On basic songs he can start on just about any note and play it in the correct key without even thinking. He can also start on any note and play a perfect major scale even though he has no concept of what a scale is. Teaching him basics, such as note names, is difficult. But I played an F for him the other day and asked him the note name - he said E sharp - we have never talked about sharps! I'm at a loss as to what to do with him. Would appreciate any advice and/or resources to help him. He's an amazing little guy!

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'd say keep reading/music notation out of your teaching for now. Just celebrate and expand his ear. Teach him songs. Sing to him. Maybe he'll be able to join you vocally. Have fun!

P
P
I think both his age and his condition can help him become a good pianist.

With regards to his condition, you should determine this:

1) How difficult is it to really connect with him? Some autists don't talk at all. Others talk, but there will be misunderstandings on both sides. Many feel unconfortable having to communicate, except when they seek information or when you belong to the small circle of "trusted" persons. The more you know about the effect that your words and your behavior will have in him, the better you can adapt to him. You want to establish a channel that he can accept, and eventually use to his advantage.

2) What's his level of intelligence? Some autists are exceptionally intelligent (commonly known as Aspergers). Others lack capacity, not only at interacting with people. You want to calibrate your expectations despite having difficulties reading him.

If he's at least average intelligent (100+), try to teach him everything. You want to dive deep into the areas that he's interested in, but keep offering him the rest too.

Abstract concepts like note names should be easy for him to learn. He probably just doesn't see why they are of any use to him. Telling him that they serve to "communicate with people", might not exactly change this. Rather try to show him other useful aspects of having those 7 named notes. For example, every note with the same name "works" in almost the same way and is interchangable. The concept makes chord inversions easy, even if you never want to say the note names aloud.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is not unusual for people with autism to have an uneven intelligence - very good in some aspects, and weak in other ones. Your student seems to be like that. I would advise you to spend a short time every session on those basic things that are hard for him, such as the names of the notes, using different angles of approach, and a much longer time on everything that comes easy to him. If there is no progress at all in this basic stuff, then you drop it for a while and see if you can give it a try again a couple of months later.

Good luck, and enjoy the adventure!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
P
P
I think you shouldn't give up on subjects he is not comfortable with. You should use a different starting point: starting from a comfort zone, using his great musical ear...and then introducing the name of the notes through some games that you suppose he should like!

Music, i feel must be emotional first and intellectual second
Valentina Lombardo Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sheilaju
...He's an amazing little guy!...
And who isn't amazing when you get down to it?! He's just amazing in a way that gets your attention.

It's cool that he can do the things that he can do, but he likely doesn't have any idea how he learned those things, and he may not have any way to connect those things to anything else.

Since teaching note names has proven difficult for you, it will be useful for you to try different ways to teach. It may help him to have some visual supports with printed letters and images of a keyboard. It may be helpful for him to assemble paper a paper keyboard like a puzzle. It may help him to hear you say the note names while he plays. It may help him to repeat the names after you. He may take naturally to reading music or he may not.

Some of my kid clients with (and without) autism have responded well to a little lesson on the difference between "things I know" and "things I don't know and I am learning." Within this framework you can draw his attention to where things he knows fit in to a larger picture. You can help him to both value his abilities and to be open to new ways to expand his skills.

Keep in mind that if he can play a major scale, he absolutely does have a concept of what a major scale is, but his concept is probably not the same as your concept.

Learner
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z

I think this is a better approach as an intermediate step to learn c,d,e....
The most important is to find a common language to understand a little bit each other.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Teaching Do-Re-Mi may be fine, but keep in mind that if a kid is struggling to learn and needs an intermediate step, you will want to make sure that the first step will actually be useful in the final target.

When I worked at a school for kids with autism, most of the staff were adamant about teaching small kids to say "bathroom" rather than "potty" because by the time they learned "potty" they were old enough that it was no longer appropriate and it would be like starting all over again to teach an age appropriate form of the request.

Learner
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would go with the advice given by Malkin in the post above the Julie Andrews one. I understand that Malkin has worked with special needs students including along the Aspergers spectrum. (Pls correct me if I'm wrong, Malkin). That post may seem a bit obtuse, because it's hard to cram a lot of knowledge into the tiny space of a thread post, but seems correct. In my own background, I have some training in learning disability teaching, and knowledge about the spectrum.

I especially liked this:
It's cool that he can do the things that he can do, but he likely doesn't have any idea how he learned those things, and he may not have any way to connect those things to anything else.
and this
Keep in mind that if he can play a major scale, he absolutely does have a concept of what a major scale is, but his concept is probably not the same as your concept.
They seemed on track.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
... Malkin has worked with special needs students including along the Aspergers spectrum....

Yep. Lots and lots of 'em. In public schools and in a private school just for kids on the autism spectrum. Pretty much the whole spectrum with the entire range of functioning. It's pretty hard to generalize, but I believe that every kid can learn.

Learner
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I just want clarify some essential differences between a public school program and an 1to1 customized program.
public school program:
-students adapt to a common predefined program
-results driven
-top down approach
-reshape student to a student model
-could be something like 30h/week.

1to1 customized program:
-a customized program adapts to a specific student with very diversified objectives. (except some standard predefined programs like Suzuki, ABSMR, RCM etc)
-process or event driven (how)
-bottom up approach or top down approach are used to adapt the specific situation or issues.
-the teacher just put his magic touches
-in general 1h/week

In case of piano lessons, nobody can predict how far a student can go in the beginning (especially in the case of autism). In this case, it is important to run a bottom up program, do well every small intermediate step and see what happens.
As any customized program itself is composed exclusively by intermediate steps, so leave any intermediate step permanently is very unlikely.
Do,re,mi... was the way my teacher has introduced me to read the music notes, despite all materials were written with c,d,e,f... I am happy with what I can do with the piano.

Last edited by zonzi; 10/04/21 08:28 AM.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't want to derail the thread further, but anyone wishing for an accurate description of programs for kids with autism, whether public, private, group, or individual may contact me privately.

Learner

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission