2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, Deltajockey, 11 invisible), 528 guests, and 445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3161143 10/01/21 02:43 PM
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
So many seem to be advertising these as "binaural"; we all understand they're stereo, and even with those you can thrill to the dramatic effects embodied in the films, amazing. You can hear stuff behind you, it's almost 3D.
So is there any difference in binaural phones?
Seems like I got a pair in error . . .nor do I like 'em!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The binaural adjective doesn’t apply to headphones, but to an audio stream optimized for headphones.

When you hear a sound, the signal is altered by the ear form, and the brain is smart enough to deduce from the alterations where the sound come from.

With a binaural record, the sound is altered (with a head model with a copy of the ear form and microphones in the ears), then, the headphones send to your ears a signal which is altered and this fool the brain/ear which deduce the origin of the sound when it was recorded.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 10/01/21 02:57 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
D
Basically, binaural recordings, when listened to on headphones, can be used to experience surround sound.

Try this video with headphones:

Also, I'm working on binaural rendered pianos (using ambisonics, which is a way to record surround sound). Skip to the end of my video for a demo of a prototype:

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Play it as a VI HERE and binaurally HERE
Yamaha PF85, Formerly Kawai KG-1D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I know two VST with binaural rendering : Garritan CFX full (player perspective, KU100 microphone), and the Hammersmith from Soniccouture (also a KU100 microphone).

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
PianoTeq also has a nice binaural rendering with adjustments for headsize etc.

J
J
I think Dore's Mason and Hamlin is binaural and free smile

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
PianoTeq also has a nice binaural rendering with adjustments for headsize etc.

Interesting to see what sizes the heads go up to . . . smile

I've tried PTq with binaural setting, on my new cans which say they too, are binaural.
Bloo*dy awful!

"[Linked Image]"
C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by peterws
...on my new cans which say they too, are binaural.

Well, maybe that's the problem -- the "binaural cans".

Either they do nothing or they do something completely fake.

So, if you listen to a fake piano, with a fake binaural setting with fake binaural cans, it's not going to sound good.

(Exactly how "fake" is Pianoteq's binaural sound could lead to complex philosophical discussions about epistemology and such, so let's not go there... But it's not a recording made with binaural microphones, so it's a "simulation".)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
on my new cans which say they too, are binaural

Which can are claimed to be binaural ? Normally, a binaural recording works on any headphones. I don’t think their would be an headphones pair more binaural than an other.

P
P
I think open headphones do just that - they create a sound stage so it sounds like the sound comes from somewhere else. It works better on movies and may be some good pianos than entry-mid point slabs.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
...on my new cans which say they too, are binaural.

Well, maybe that's the problem -- the "binaural cans".

Either they do nothing or they do something completely fake.

So, if you listen to a fake piano, with a fake binaural setting with fake binaural cans, it's not going to sound good.

(Exactly how "fake" is Pianoteq's binaural sound could lead to complex philosophical discussions about epistemology and such, so let's not go there... But it's not a recording made with binaural microphones, so it's a "simulation".)

Now, hang on! One o' those "fakes" as you succinctly put it, is fake. That leaves two. Two "fakes" equals four "reals" in mathematical terms. Am I right or am I right? smile

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don’t know about « fakes » in mathematics… only about « imaginary ». Two « imaginary » is stil « imaginary ». Only a squared « imaginary » is « real ».

Back to audio effects. The « binaural » effect should be made to emulate the ear form alteration. If you tried to apply this effect twice or more, I can’t imagine how the result would be natural.

I also can’t interpret what means « binaural » about headphones. I have googled « binaural headphones « , and found some articles… but I am puzzled : what are they have more than 60 years old headphones which are not claimed to be binaural.

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
I saw "binaural" headphones meaning two cups, one for each ear as opposed to a mono headset with just one cup.

And then there were Sennheiser earbuds with binaural microphones.

O
O
FWIW, I have played the Yamaha CLP-785 and I expected to be blown away by the famed "Binaural" effect as others had reported on this forum.

It ended up a being a nothingburger, at least for me. OK, I played the headphones available in the shop; but then again, one assumes a shop would have headphones that are good enough to make the binaural effect noticeable by the prospective client. And yes, the idea of the binaural sound is that it works with every (decent) headphones, without need for a dedicated "binaural headphone".

I have read around that it works for some and not for others. I think I belong to the "others" category.

I have now stopped considering the Binaural feature as an element in my decision about a future digital piano. In the end, the sound of the CA99 from the very same headphones was quite satisfactory.

I think when the CA100 comes out (and hoping it does not have all the software issues of the CA99) a lot of people will not really mind the absence of a "binaural" feature. They will mind how it sounds with the headphones on.

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The binaural effect can be quite obvious when the sound comes from a fancy position relative to the listener. With a piano where the sound comes from the front of you, the difference with a stereo record is slighter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just very recently I got binaural headphones ... well, as has been pointed out already (I think), all headphones are binaural, but these have binaural microphones built in. It's the Roland CS-10EM. It's early days for me with these yet, but the effects are quite convincing so far. The best example was a recording I made while standing underneath a plastic roof, on which raindrops were falling, individually. When listening to the recording later, it is actually exactly as if the raindrops are impacting above my head. Quite revelatory!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Headphones are binaural only when put on/in/around ears.
They become stereo otherwise!
Sorry, could not resist laugh

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission