2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (Beansparrow, AprilE, AWilley, Abdol, An Old Square, accordeur, Bostonmoores, 36251, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3160698 09/30/21 05:41 AM
S
Skropi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Is anyone experienced with such software? I am looking at Komplete 13 and Halion 6 currently. My purpose is to be able to compose on the pc, using a dp as midi controller. Do any of these offer customizable drum presets? I am open to all suggestions.
I am mainly composing Heavy metal/Prog Metal, but I like to keep my options open, as I like many styles.

I was looking at the Korg Kronos, but the cost is too high, considering I already have a pc and a digital piano.

Last edited by Skropi; 09/30/21 05:42 AM.
V
V
For composing and recording you need a DAW not a software instrument app such as Komplete or Halion. You load those into the DAW.

Choose a free DAW (Traktion Waveform free, or Reaper that has a very generous demo version) and watch a ton of YT tutorials (start with the easy ones). Then download free VST plug-ins for the instruments that you want, instead of spending money on Komplete or Halion. You can learn a lot by using free tools, and then spend your money on better instruments after you decide you really need to do it and after you know how to differentiate the gold from the dust.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you have a a Mac, I would recommend Logic Pro, it comes with everything you’d need to start making almost any genre of music.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
Skropi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
If you have a a Mac, I would recommend Logic Pro, it comes with everything you’d need to start making almost any genre of music.
Unfortunately I dont own a Mac. Anything similar for Windows?

V
V
The two I mentioned above. Reaper is very powerful with a large community of users and tutorials for everything. Not easy to learn, but that's the price of wanting to be a composer. Then google for free VST plugins. There are some good ones (and a lot of not so good).

Or get cubase elements for around 100 usd and I think it comes with a subset of instruments from halyon (which eventually you will later replace with better ones... That's why I say to save money, try free, get experience, and buy better later...

Last edited by vagfilm; 09/30/21 07:00 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Choose a free DAW...watch a ton of YT tutorials (start with the easy ones). Then download free VST plug-ins for the instruments that you want, instead of spending money on Komplete or Halion. You can learn a lot by using free tools, and then spend your money on better instruments after you decide you really need to do it and after you know how to differentiate the gold from the dust.
+1 on this. Start simple, work your way up to more complex stuff. I like this following channel, she explains everything very well, but there are loads of other great YT channels for music production, covering everything from very simple things, to insanely complicated music production.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
V
V
Cubase elements has a discount educational license...

J
J
take vagfilm's advice.

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Since you are on Windows you really should try out Cakewalk by Bandlab. It is free full featured DAW that is constantly being updated. Short story is a really rich person saved the company and really thinks Music Education is important and is making this DAW available for the cost of the download.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Also a very active forum. https://discuss.cakewalk.com/ The DAW is not a beginners DAW but if you take the time (few months at least) you will be rewarded.

Another thing since you seem to just be getting started is find the money and join the group buy at IK Multimedia now! https://www.ikmultimedia.com/ The Group Buy has been extended to the end of October smile Just make sure you get some version of Sampletank 4. That will have plenty of sounds for you. I double dipped into this Group Buy and right now I have 40 free items to choose from. Sweet! I have nothing to do with the company FYI just passing along a great deal when I see it.

Peace.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Also want to add Native Instruments has Kontakt 6 have off that ends today. Start with that and then add Komplete at a later date if needed.

Another item is go to the Cakewalk forum I posted and go to the Deals thread. There folks pass along sales they find on the internet. Great resource IMHO.

S
Skropi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by vagfilm
The two I mentioned above. Reaper is very powerful with a large community of users and tutorials for everything. Not easy to learn, but that's the price of wanting to be a composer. Then google for free VST plugins. There are some good ones (and a lot of not so good).

Or get cubase elements for around 100 usd and I think it comes with a subset of instruments from halyon (which eventually you will later replace with better ones... That's why I say to save money, try free, get experience, and buy better later...
When I replied, for some reason your first post was not visible, I just saw it!

Your advice seems more than logical, thanks.

Last edited by Skropi; 09/30/21 09:28 AM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Skropi
Is anyone experienced with such software? I am looking at Komplete 13 and Halion 6 currently. My purpose is to be able to compose on the pc, using a dp as midi controller. Do any of these offer customizable drum presets? I am open to all suggestions.
I am mainly composing Heavy metal/Prog Metal, but I like to keep my options open, as I like many styles.

I was looking at the Korg Kronos, but the cost is too high, considering I already have a pc and a digital piano.

Try Ardour first. If it doesn't work, then shed some money to buy other software.

https://ardour.org/

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
D
D
I gotta plug pianobook:

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/

Watch vids, instagram, and soundcloud demos to get a feel for the instruments. The DecentSampler and SFZ versions are playable with free software.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Play it as a VI HERE and binaurally HERE
Yamaha PF85, Formerly Kawai KG-1D
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Plug for Mixcraft 9 too. Great DAW for not so much money and good forum too. Reaper is a very efficient DAW but it is more the nerdy get down into the nuts and bolt type of DAW. I never got the hang of it but heck try it as it cost nothing to demo and use it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,341
Posts3,150,101
Members103,489
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission