2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Online Content
I have developed an audio filter app for Android. It is designed specifically for aural piano tuning. I would like for anyone with an Android device and interested in aural training to try it out. It can be downloaded directly onto your Android device from my website here:

https://www.tunelab-world.com/bandfilter

The operation of the app is explained by the help file in the app. It must be used with headphones to avoid feedback.

Currently the bandwidth around the selected pitch is about +/-100 cents, but that should be enough to make the selected pitch stand out from the rest of the sound to make it easier to hear beats. You can center the filter around any note very easily. In a later version I plan to make the bandwidth a variable parameter that you can set. If you try out the app and have any other suggestions on modifications to this very primitive app, please send me a PM through the forum.

Last edited by Robert Scott; 09/22/21 10:59 PM.

Robert Scott
Hopkins, Minnesota
http://www.tunelab-world.com
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
This can be great for concert tuning on a loud stage. I'll try it for sure. It would also be useful if it can run in the background while using Tunelab. Just recently I was preparing a piano on stage and the engineer had to do high decibel testing and I had to leave. I had only 30 minutes to prepare this piano and missed the top octave as I ran out of time. A filtered audio signal along with noise cancelling headphones and Tunelab would be great for this scenario

Thanks

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Very interesting. Former member Marc Cerisano (banned for various reasons) is now selling a hardware tuneable bandpass filter for the outrageous price of $500 (or $900 if you get the kit that includes amps). Great use of the DSP power in modern phones to do this in software.

I often wondered if anything in GarageBand (for iOS) could process live input audio and feed it through one of the synth emulators? Even a resonant lowpass filter would do a decent job of emphasizing the beating partials.

Paul.

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
Always wondered why it was so hard to do. I'm going to play around with it.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
This can be great for concert tuning on a loud stage. I'll try it for sure. It would also be useful if it can run in the background while using Tunelab. Just recently I was preparing a piano on stage and the engineer had to do high decibel testing and I had to leave. I had only 30 minutes to prepare this piano and missed the top octave as I ran out of time. A filtered audio signal along with noise cancelling headphones and Tunelab would be great for this scenario

Thanks

I suppose one might, with a sigh, ask why YOU had to leave, while HE did high-decibel testing. Why didn't HE have to leave while YOU did piano tuning, leaving HIM half an hour to do his testing. (I have used the male pronoun, but recognise that the engineer might have been female).

Last edited by David Boyce; 09/24/21 04:28 AM.
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Mr. Scott-
This is an excellent training tool!
Are you considering more developments?
For example, a sequence might be created to automatically follow parallel chromatic thirds or to move through a temperament with chromatic contiguous interval tests...but of course this is pretty easy to do if you know the coincident partials you want to test.
I'd think the main use would be to gradually train a person to hear the coincident partials by reducing the amplification step-by-step.
I wish I'd asked you to do this years ago!
Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
By the way, it works well with earbuds, but apparently not with my noise cancelling headphones. ???
es

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Noise cancelling headphones have microphones on the outside and are actively listening to sounds out there, particularly constant frequencies.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson

Thanks

I suppose one might, with a sigh, ask why YOU had to leave, while HE did high-decibel testing. Why didn't HE have to leave while YOU did piano tuning, leaving HIM half an hour to do his testing. (I have used the male pronoun, but recognise that the engineer might have been female).

The stage director was a she. The main feature of the presentation of awards at this private company function was a video made for the event and there was a sound problem. Piano was tuned a few hours earlier. The artist, who was getting very well paid said to leave the top notes because he preferred more rehearsal time to a micro tuned top ocatave. To most stage managers the piano tuner is an unavoidable nuisance.

OP Online Content
Here is a major update to the new audio filter app that I announced a few weeks ago. The app is designed to help aural tuners hear beats by accentuating the coincident partials for an interval. This update provides a selectable filter bandwidth from 50 cents to 400 cents, a selectable 2-pole or 4-pole filter configuration, and pitches defined by an average piano stretch. As before you can download this version for Android phones and tablets from

https://www.tunelab-world.com/bandfilter

Please let me know your thought on the app if you should happen to try it out. (It is free for now.)

Robert Scott
Hopkins, Minnesota
http://www.tunelab-world.com
I tried the app. In my opinion, very muffled headphones are needed in order not to hear a direct acoustic signal from the piano, which, moreover, is a little late (time spent on processing information by the phone's processor). In this sense, an analog device would be preferable.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission