2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3159183 09/24/21 11:10 AM
J
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi everyone,

As I move through this final year of my doctorate it’s been suggested I increase my activity on social media, so I’m posting more on Instagram. While I don’t really enjoy self promotion I do need to get into it, and if any of you are interested in following me over on Instagram I’d appreciate the support! Thanks

You’ll find me at Joseph Fleetwood pianist

YAMAHA Artist

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
I understand what you're saying about social media. I've been reluctant over the years, but in terms of teaching found myself needing to get more comfortable putting myself "out there" as things moved online during the pandemic.

This one about the Cello is interesting: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUISP3HgH9L/

I do enjoy the Cello (listening, not playing), so thanks for the perspective and pro tips re. accompanying a Cellist! thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Joseph
I don’t use Instagram, but since you have a YouTube channel , why don’t you spiff if up with a blurb and a link to your web site?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCZkEEnDAW5yURO2Fp_Z7CGg/featured

M
M
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Hi everyone,

As I move through this final year of my doctorate it’s been suggested I increase my activity on social media, so I’m posting more on Instagram. While I don’t really enjoy self promotion I do need to get into it, and if any of you are interested in following me over on Instagram I’d appreciate the support! Thanks

I think Lisitsa of most prominent example of how wise using of social media is important, and it made her superstar.

So better to be there. If you're uncomfortable with it, just hire an agency. But personally I much prefer accounts of Adveeva, Luka Okros or Boris Giltburg, who are posting by themselves and not just perfect made professional shots like Seong Jin Cho. I can understand Yuja has such profile, but connection with audience is really needed here.

BTW- I once won a CD with signature of Boris Giltburg, and as I really appreciate this pianist I treat this CD as little personal gem in my collection. Had an opportunity to exchange few.words with him after the concert once, not at the the person I suspected him to be (very very modest and greatful).

Get it right and it Will elevate your career by some degree, if this is what you want of course.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I have been doing a piano practice account on Instagram and have found it highly motivating and great way to meet new and friendly pianists. It’s a special kind of community and a very helpful one to. ☺️

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I find this interesting, because apparently PW has a strict rule against 'self promotion' ha

A rising tide lifts all the boats

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
Hi everyone,

Just followed you on Instagram!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
I find this interesting, because apparently PW has a strict rule against 'self promotion' ha

Have you checked your own forum profile options? You can add all of the social media sites to your profile

Nothing is being sold and no business is being promoted. I guess you would like to see all YouTube videos banned, since they do promote the musician.

Last edited by dogperson; 09/25/21 08:34 PM.
J
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
thanks for the support everyone. I appreciate you.

YAMAHA Artist
J
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by maucycy
Hi everyone,

I think Lisitsa of most prominent example of how wise using of social media is important, and it made her superstar.

So better to be there. If you're uncomfortable with it, just hire an agency. But personally I much prefer accounts of Adveeva, Luka Okros or Boris Giltburg, who are posting by themselves and not just perfect made professional shots like Seong Jin Cho. I can understand Yuja has such profile, but connection with audience is really needed here.

BTW- I once won a CD with signature of Boris Giltburg, and as I really appreciate this pianist I treat this CD as little personal gem in my collection. Had an opportunity to exchange few.words with him after the concert once, not at the the person I suspected him to be (very very modest and greatful).

Get it right and it Will elevate your career by some degree, if this is what you want of course.

If I could even play a Czerny etude as well as these people can I'd be happy! So basically the instagram thing is because now, in the job market, employers view social media as a recruiting tool for getting new students, so it's quite important to have a nice profile. It may also attract attention from an agent, who knows? Certainly it won't hurt as long as I post good content.

YAMAHA Artist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Are you allowed to post full length videos on Instagram? Or do you have to just post links?

Maybe I’m remember wrong, but I thought that there was some rule about videos and Instagram?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Are you allowed to post full length videos on Instagram? Or do you have to just post links?

Maybe I’m remember wrong, but I thought that there was some rule about videos and Instagram?

You can post longer videos on the IGTV section but I tend to just post short clips because it boosts the algorithm. People don’t engage as much with the longer clips on Instagram.

Tiktok is even worse, average viewing time is like 2 seconds on that

YAMAHA Artist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You can post longer videos on the IGTV section but I tend to just post short clips because it boosts the algorithm. People don’t engage as much with the longer clips on Instagram.

Tiktok is even worse, average viewing time is like 2 seconds on that

Oh wow! That is crazy!!

It's weird to me that you're encouraged to create and maintain an Instagram presence when those kinds of user habits are clearly not conducive to the enjoyment of music.

A pianist I like a lot, Alexis Ffrench, is pretty active on Facebook and he posts a lot of snippets of his music, like maybe 30 seconds? I completely stopped clicking on his FB videos when they pop up in my feed because I prefer to hear the whole piece.

So maybe the modern manifestation of the generation gap is attention span?
-_-

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Take the time to watch this one, despite the title. It is very useful information (and again, do not be misled by the title) for anybody trying to get a video presence.

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
INTERESTING! Ok, let me change the link above to:

NEVER DO THIS TO A CELLIST!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I can't unmute the entries.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
INTERESTING! Ok, let me change the link above to:

NEVER DO THIS TO A CELLIST (BANNED FROM PUBLIC VIEW)!

I did (of course) click on this on but not the previous incarnation :-) but, regretably, even really inventive clickbait doesn't stop my company banning web access to social media sites.

L
L
I completely understand why you don't enjoy promoting yourself. It is one of the most complicated activities on Instagram, and not only. I know how important this aspect might be for your final year. I'm working with them to diverse my activity and increase the visibility. I'm sure this shouldn't be considered as cheating, and it's just a little bit of help. In this way, you'll become more visible to the public. This aspect, especially in your field, is extremely important.

Last edited by Piano World; 01/04/22 01:25 PM. Reason: removed spam
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, Joe-- you got so famous that a PW spammer has followed you here!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission