2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
P
P
Schismal - Thank you for your post.

How do you do this?

"I've run several VSTs back through the NV-5's internal speakers"?

Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
My NV5 is in the living room and is simply meant for playing there. The sound quality is very good, so I do not need any VST running on the NV5. It's possible to playback VSTs on the internal Speakers over the Line-In Port.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
P
Thank Tyr. Makes sense. I have a similar set up although at the moment the piano in my living room is a P-45. Moving to an NV5 would be slight upgrade. smile Go cheap or go big.

P
P
Hi Tyr:

I couldn't help but notice this comment of yours related to the NU1X in another thread:

"In my eyes, the Novus is a good instrument, but way too expensive for what it is. The sound quality via speakers and headphones is subpar compared to the NU1X setup. When pairing the smartphone to both instruments and playback music, you clearly hear the difference between them. I tried using the build in speakers and also headphone jacks to use with a VST. On the NU1X it was almost perfect. The sound quality on both build in speakers and headphones was great. No need to use the headphones on the running laptop/pc. The Novus must be wired via Line In and the sound wasn't impressive. On top of that, when using the headphone jacks with the VST input via line in, it was the most horrible experience i've ever had, especially because i only got mono sound on the headphones on this setup. All of this you can get on a CA78 which is three times cheaper. But after spending 8.000 €, i expected more than that."

Now that you have the NV5, has your perspective changed?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pi'ilani
...when using the headphone jacks with the VST input via line in, it was the most horrible experience i've ever had, especially because i only got mono sound on the headphones on this setup.

I wonder if the correct cables were used?
I believe the SHS (Spatial Headphone Sound) function should also be turned off to avoid additional processing to the Line In sound.

All of this you can get on a CA78 which is three times cheaper.

I don't believe this price comparison is accurate, nor do I understand the point of comparing the CA78 to the NV5 - they are very different instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
@KJ: Take note that Pi'liani was quoting a post by Tyr in another thread. So if we're seeing a rant let's not blame Pi'liani.

P
P
Yep. Just engaging in some research to make a good faith attempt to decide between the nv5 and nu1x.

Yep. Just engaging in some research to make a good faith attempt to decide between the nv5 and nu1x.

I understsand.

Researching online can be very useful, however I would strongly advise play-testing the two instruments, in question in order to truly appreciate their respective qualites, before making a decision.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P
I would love to, but neither of these instruments are located anywhere in Hawaii.

I would love to, but neither of these instruments are located anywhere in Hawaii.

Ah, I see.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask how you intend to purchase either instrument upon making a decision?

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P
Assuming you don't mean whether I will purchase it with fiat or cryptocurrency, there is a Kawai dealer on the island that I am talking to and a Yamaha dealer on the mainland. Apparently there is no Yamaha dealer on these islands.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

I'm a little surprised that there is no Yamaha dealer on the islands.

Well, best of luck with your decision.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P
To mitigate the risk, apparently the Kawai dealer has a K-300 Aures on the floor I can try. Hopefully that will give me a sense of the upright action and the sound engine in the nv5.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To mitigate the risk, apparently the Kawai dealer has a K-300 Aures on the floor I can try. Hopefully that will give me a sense of the upright action and the sound engine in the nv5.

The K-300 Aures is way superior to any hybrid digital piano. Don't buy the latter sight-unseen.

Yamaha P-515
Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Now that you have the NV5, has your perspective changed?

The NV5 made me love Kawai again. :P

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
P
Originally Posted by JoeT

The K-300 Aures is way superior to any hybrid digital piano. Don't buy the latter sight-unseen.
I think that your first statement is a little bold, I fully agree with the latter. Please explain why you believe that the K-300 Aures is way superior.

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8 (sold). Kawai NV5S.
P
P
Originally Posted by JoeT
The K-300 Aures is way superior to any hybrid digital piano.

When I researched this, back in 2019 when the NV5 was just announced, I took note of the following advantages for the Aures series:

• acoustic mode
  • 4-way driven soundboard, rather than 2-way (not sure if this is true for all Aures)
  • K500+ models have a slightly different action, which is said to be "heavier" but "better"

None of these made me prefer the Aures over the NV5. Not even the acoustic option, see my 2019 "Kawai NV5" thread if you wonder why.

There's another advantage that I noticed later:

• logistic and dealer treats this as an acoustic instrument rather than a mass-produced digital product

Please elaborate how the K300 Aures is "way superior", if there's something I had missed at the time? Or, maybe you see the same things but come to a different conclusion?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You reviewed a single acoustic instrument (which it is), which you didn't like. That happening is nothing unusual actually, that's why you try many of them until you find one that works for you.

I just recommend not trying one product and then buying a cheaper one sight-unseen. This sets you up for disappointment.

Yamaha P-515
P
P
I am no stranger to the virtues of acoustic pianos. I grew up with a Steinway B and owned and sold a Steinway K-52. There is nothing like playing an actual acoustic.

There is also nothing like a neighbor knocking on your door to keep it down.

I live in an apartment building so playing the K-300 Aures in acoustic mode would never happen - so why spend another $7,000 more than the NV5 even if I did like it better?

Finally, if I could test drive these pianos I would.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I am no stranger to the virtues of acoustic pianos. I grew up with a Steinway B and owned and sold a Steinway K-52. There is nothing like playing an actual acoustic.

There is also nothing like a neighbor knocking on your door to keep it down.

I live in an apartment building so playing the K-300 Aures in acoustic mode would never happen - so why spend another $7,000 more than the NV5 even if I did like it better?

Finally, if I could test drive these pianos I would.

If one of your constraints is that you have to buy sight-unseen, AND you have extensive experience with quality acoustic grands and uprights in good regulation, AND your budget supports a hybrid, AND this is going to be your primary instrument...

You could do a lot worse than just rolling the dice and ordering an NV-5S/NV-10S (or an NU1X/N1X)....it's far from the best solution, but maybe trying to order from a place that will do a no-fault exchange in case you find you don't like that particular unit...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission