2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3157650 09/18/21 04:19 PM
Y
YTF2020 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I took my kid piano shopping again. His favorite in this store was an early 1970s Schimmel grand (closely followed by a similar vintage Yamaha G3 and with a new Kawai GX6 in a distant third).

Was this a good period for Schimmels? What internet info I can find is sparse for this era. It does sound very nice. smile

Thanks!

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by YTF2020
I took my kid piano shopping again. His favorite in this store was an early 1970s Schimmel grand (closely followed by a similar vintage Yamaha G3 and with a new Kawai GX6 in a distant third).

Was this a good period for Schimmels? What internet info I can find is sparse for this era. It does sound very nice. smile

Thanks!

I don't know very much about the 1970's Schimmel grand pianos. I do know that they made a 5'10" model in the early to mid 1980's that was a very nice piano.

Since you are considering a piano nearing 50 years old, I would encourage you to find out what kind of work was performed by the store offering the piano and what type of warranty the piano will have. Most importantly, have the piano examined by an independent technician for a condition report before jumping in.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Y
YTF2020 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks for the info!

I believe this piano was in well-maintained but otherwise original condition, but I'll be sure to get details if we consider it seriously (as well as involve our tech).

I'm hoping pianos age better on the west coast since my kid seems to like the old ones as much as the new ones. There were some rebuilt uprights from the teens at the shop that he liked quite a bit. Yes...we'll probably be needing to bring in our piano technician for anything this kid picks out.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Schimmels have always been great pianos. One of the churches I played at had a similar vintage Schimmel that was great.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We had a Schimmel CC208T from ~1977 here for sale a couple of years ago. That's ~6'10" size. We freshened it up quite a bit, replaced key bushings and gave the action a lot of attention, but it was in largely original condition, and it still played well and had a lovely tone. It did show signs of aging in the touch and tone, but this 208 design was continued until ~2000 and was even brought back in the first generation of Schimmel "Classic" series grands.

Musically, it was sweet and lyrical but lacked punch and presence compared to other ~7' pianos. There is certainly a place for that....

I also noticed the styling of the legs and lyre of the 1970's Schimmel grands...it's conspicuously similar to style of the current Cx-series grands from Yamaha. What was once old is new again. wink

I do like the smaller Schimmel SP174 design as well. I haven't seen examples from the 1970's but I've seen a few from the 1980s and many from the early 1990's. I could spy clear improvements and refinements in the production over that period that lead to model changes and overall improvements. I believe the older ones were good, very good in their core construction, but I do strongly believe that the newer ones are better.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Y
YTF2020 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission