2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tupac Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Gonna buy a 12.9" iPad Pro for sheet music purposes. Do I really need the latest 5th gen/2021 model? Are there any features in any of the later generations that one might find useful? I'd imagine I don't need much at all.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dunno if there are recent improvements but ForScore with a foot pedal works just fine on a second generation.

N
N
Originally Posted by Tupac
Gonna buy a 12.9" iPad Pro for sheet music purposes. Do I really need the latest 5th gen/2021 model? Are there any features in any of the later generations that one might find useful? I'd imagine I don't need much at all.

Definitely 4th Gen (2020)

2021 gives you bad blooming effects and headache. Thats why I returned the 2021 model and bought the 2020 instead.

Heres a search query. https://www.google.com/search?q=ipad+2021+bloom afterwards click on images.

Although 2021 gives a better image, it doesnt give an easier to read text.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Have you considered e-ink alternatives? If $ is not an issue for example the Gvido gives you dual screen (2x 13.3") at not much more than an iPad pro, depending on configurations. Availability wise, I can't say.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Have you considered e-ink alternatives? If $ is not an issue for example the Gvido gives you dual screen (2x 13.3") at not much more than an iPad pro, depending on configurations. Availability wise, I can't say.

The Gvido in the US is $1,600 — want a goit switch $300
IPad Pro 4th generation is $779

Basically the Gvido is 2x as much. Granted, it has dual screens . I’ve lusted after one for several years, but the price is staggering.

I’m also not sure about storing scores in the Gvido library rather than on the device itself.

N
N
Originally Posted by cygnusdei

The GVIDO is a usability Nightmare. You are limited to small PDF ( in size ) and you won't have a good resale value to name two.
Edit: Also the GVIDO is slow.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 09/17/21 06:06 AM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dogperson
IPad Pro 4th generation is $779
I don't know about availabilty but the launch price for the 4th generation 12.9" starts from $999 and goes up to $1649 depending on configurations (the 11" of course is cheaper).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Pro

A rising tide lifts all the boats
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Boox max lumi might be a worthy contender.

[/video

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
There isn't any improvement for ForScore, but what I do like about the latest gen iPad is it's boardless now. The tablet is smaller than previous gen even though the screen size is the same because they took away the button. It's just the screen now. Other than that it's not necessary to have the latest. ForScore is really just a beefed up PDF reader/ manipulator for musicians.

N
N
Originally Posted by RayR3004
There isn't any improvement for ForScore, but what I do like about the latest gen iPad is it's boardless now. The tablet is smaller than previous gen even though the screen size is the same because they took away the button. It's just the screen now. Other than that it's not necessary to have the latest. ForScore is really just a beefed up PDF reader/ manipulator for musicians.

No.
You can turn pages using only your mouth in forscore, making use of the truedepth camera.
Also, you can add almost any bluetooth device for use of page turning smile

J
J
How nice it would be to have an Ipad Pro 12.9 that had a 2nd screen to flip open. How much could that cost to add to price? $300 and I'd be down for that.

N
N
Originally Posted by joggerjazz
How nice it would be to have an Ipad Pro 12.9 that had a 2nd screen to flip open. How much could that cost to add to price? $300 and I'd be down for that.

How does having two ipads make any sense? When you are looking off center, you will have even more increased load.

Originally Posted by nicknameTaken

No.
You can turn pages using only your mouth in forscore, making use of the truedepth camera.

This is only if you get the latest gen iPad?

N
N

No.

Nope. Every model thats newer than the first generation should have a truedepth camera.

No.

Nope. Every model thats newer than the first generation should have a truedepth camera.

Ok. Tupac wanted to know if there was an update to forScore that the newer gen iPads took advantage of that older ones didn't. So there really isn't.

T
Tupac Offline OP
OP Offline
T

2021 gives you bad blooming effects and headache. Thats why I returned the 2021 model and bought the 2020 instead.

Heres a search query. https://www.google.com/search?q=ipad+2021+bloom afterwards click on images.

That's a very good note, thank you. Maybe I'll try and go in a store and look at a few.

Ok. Tupac wanted to know if there was an update to forScore that the newer gen iPads took advantage of that older ones didn't. So there really isn't.
Thanks, but I was more concerned about hardware upgrades to the iPad Pros themselves. E.g. do I need the any of the 5th gen features vs. 4th, for the purpose of using it for sheet music only?

That's a very good note, thank you. Maybe I'll try and go in a store and look at a few.

Thanks, but I was more concerned about hardware upgrades to the iPad Pros themselves. E.g. do I need the any of the 5th gen features vs. 4th, for the purpose of using it for sheet music only?
I think for sheet music only, no, you could go with previous models.

N
N
I recommend to get the 4th generation. I looked at second and third gen iPad pro on Ebay, one of which was offered for 300 EUR.
Although it was a very low cost iPad, there was an uneven backlighting, which seemed to be ocurring to older iPad Pros quite often.
My stepfather insisted that I dont get the 'cheap' one, cause he said it looks already like trash.

So I went with the 4th gen. I believe it's mostly just aging.

N
N
>>Thanks, but I was more concerned about hardware upgrades to the iPad Pros themselves. E.g. do I need the any of the 5th gen features vs. 4th, for the purpose of using it for sheet music only?

I think the 5th gen will have a dramatically more colorful picture. But the display is having more distance to the glass, so it might be more straining to the eye, along with the other issues described. You might not always have a very bright lit room, too. So bloom will be more visible.

Not a problem on 4th gen.
In many applications, including Gaming, 5th gen is partially even slower. You know, you can play Shooter games on it.

Perhaps you should visit youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reasons+to+not+buy+ipad+pro+2021

I got the latest one. I figured it would last the longest before Apple doesn't make updates for it. I have no problems with the screen or anything for that matter. Bluetooth pedals work great. I haven't tried the head gesture turning. I think it's a great tablet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission