2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Just two phrases I took note of recently for a sort bag of tricks I could have.

Phrase from first concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhpUoTqbGwI&t=1795s&ab_channel=JeffVanDevender

I've a question or two about the part beginning at 29:33. So at the 29:40 mark; I know he hits a G power chord in his left hand, but what other note (apart from G) does he hit with his right hand?

• At the end of 29:40 he goes to an Eb chord. I presume it's just (Bb+G) or (G+Bb+G) in his right hand. Or would it be (Bb+Eb+G)? Would just like to know the habit to have in such a situation.

• The melody over the next chord (Bb/F) is as follows: Eb D C Bb F Bb C D (Bb+F)

I'd really like to know the correct way to hit that F melody note... the one sort of in the middle. Does he hit it with his right hand at the same time that the left hand hits the Bb base? Or, seeing as that F note is quite low down, does he hit both these notes with the left hand? What's better practice?

• Favoured question - at 29:44 he goes from an Eb chord to a Bb/F. What's interesting here, is that he brought in the F base note on the very last note of the chord before it. Was that intentional? And does that mean that he had to specifically let of the pedal early? Because otherwise you wouldn't hear that F base note in teh next measure.

Phrase from different concert

So there's a little piece from 0:32

I was curious about the fingering on the Bb chord from 0:36ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgOyMmO0wE&ab_channel=AdmiralNeeda

2 5 1 4 2 3 2 1 5 1 5 1 5 1 5
Bb F Bb E Bb D Bb F F Bb G Bb A Bb A D

Would that be the correct way to do it?

Last edited by Visalia; 10/20/20 03:16 PM.
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Meant to put last phrase in in code format!

Code
2 5 1 4 2 3 2 1 5 1 5 1 5 1 5

Last edited by Visalia; 10/20/20 03:18 PM.
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Third time lucky

Fingering for third phrase
Code
2  5 1  4 2  3 2  1 5 1  5 1  5 1  5

Last edited by Visalia; 10/20/20 04:17 PM.
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi again. So I've a question about a nice little phrase here in 'Song for Guy' that starts at 1:43.

So at 1:49 he moves from an F chord, to a F/C chord. I'm wondering how exactly he gets the C note in his left hand? Does he hit a C octave? Or does he keep his left hand in the place of the previous chord (F) and just use his index finger for the C? I don't seem to see his hand move much!

Then there seems to be a (BDG); and I assume that there's a F base note with that?

And finally before resolving you hear (ACF) in the right hand, but I'm not quite sure what he uses as the base note? I use a D note because it works fine, but I would still like to know what Elton is doing.

And there's something about the way he resolves to the C chord... you don't hear the tud! You just hear the sound... as if it was already being played before we hear it!

Last edited by Visalia; 09/08/21 06:09 PM.
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V

So at around 2:40 (in the run up to the C chord) you hear the right hand play B D D# E. What I'm wondering about is that last E note. Does he play that in both hands? Does he play that as a pick-up note with the left hand too?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Visalia
Hi again. So I've a question about a nice little phrase here in 'Song for Guy' that starts at 1:43.

So at 1:49 he moves from an F chord, to a F/C chord. I'm wondering how exactly he gets the C note in his left hand? Does he hit a C octave? Or does he keep his left hand in the place of the previous chord (F) and just use his index finger for the C? I don't seem to see his hand move much!

Then there seems to be a (BDG); and I assume that there's a F base note with that?

And finally before resolving you hear (ACF) in the right hand, but I'm not quite sure what he uses as the base note? I use a D note because it works fine, but I would still like to know what Elton is doing.

And there's something about the way he resolves to the C chord... you don't hear the tud! You just hear the sound... as if it was already being played before we hear it!

Such a beautiful song - I'm guessing this is from around 1990 going by his headwear.

H
H
Actually it is easy to play Mr. John's music on piano, but when you trying to sing them it starts to be not that easy. I tried to play Circle of life and sing it (https://musescore.com/user/39593079/scores/6949373) but always have mistakes. It is not a question of technics of playing but question of singing and playing at the same time.

V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by fatar760
Such a beautiful song - I'm guessing this is from around 1990 going by his headwear.
That doesn't answer my question.

Last edited by Visalia; 09/10/21 07:52 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
At the end of 29:40 he goes to an Eb chord. I presume it's just (Bb+G) or (G+Bb+G) in his right hand. Or would it be (Bb+Eb+G)? Would just like to know the habit to have in such a situation.

G Bb G rolled from thumb to pinkie.

The melody over the next chord (Bb/F) is as follows: Eb D C Bb F Bb C D (Bb+F)

Bb chord, yes but he's playing a Bb root, (immediately below middle C) and the final RH you have in brackets should have the lower Bb also; so the RH there is (Bb F Bb). It's too thin played as 2-note interval.

I'd really like to know the correct way to hit that F melody note... the one sort of in the middle. Does he hit it with his right hand at the same time that the left hand hits the Bb base? Or, seeing as that F note is quite low down, does he hit both these notes with the left hand? What's better practice?

He plays the Bb just below mid C with his LH as the RH plays the F (the one in the middle of the run). Generally, I don't think there's a 'better' practice other than the flow of the playing - whatever falls under the fingers. That would apply to EJ and anyone else so it's a style thing rather than a standard practice.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
...answering 2nd quote, correction; ...should have the lower F also; so the RH there is (F Bb F)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That doesn't answer my question.

No, I couldn't make sense of your question whilst watching the clip so, given it was 11.30pm, decided to compliment the song selection instead.

Looks like DT sorted you out!

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I haven't kept up with Elton over the years. But I have to say, I love the chord changes in Song For Guy. I think I'll try playing along with it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by dire tonic
At the end of 29:40 he goes to an Eb chord. I presume it's just (Bb+G) or (G+Bb+G) in his right hand. Or would it be (Bb+Eb+G)? Would just like to know the habit to have in such a situation.

G Bb G rolled from thumb to pinkie.

The melody over the next chord (Bb/F) is as follows: Eb D C Bb F Bb C D (Bb+F)

Bb chord, yes but he's playing a Bb root, (immediately below middle C) and the final RH you have in brackets should have the lower Bb also; so the RH there is (Bb F Bb). It's too thin played as 2-note interval.

He plays the Bb just below mid C with his LH as the RH plays the F (the one in the middle of the run). Generally, I don't think there's a 'better' practice other than the flow of the playing - whatever falls under the fingers. That would apply to EJ and anyone else so it's a style thing rather than a standard practice.
Thank you Dire Tonic

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
The Take Me to the Pilot, vid., he's improvising over Camptown Races.

nada
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Farmerjones
I know. But does he make a mistake around 2:49-2:50. I could be wrong, but I think it takes him too long to play through the chromatic notes there before restarting the C chord??

V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
No, I couldn't make sense of your question whilst watching the clip so, given it was 11.30pm, decided to compliment the song selection instead.
Oh fair enough. Sorry
He was answering a question about a different song!

Last edited by Visalia; 09/12/21 12:47 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh fair enough. Sorry
He was answering a question about a different song!

Which you thanked him for smile

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Farmerjones
I know. But does he make a mistake around 2:49-2:50. I could be wrong, but I think it takes him too long to play through the chromatic notes there before restarting the C chord??

Well, I too thought it sounded a little wonky, but art is art. Even E.J. can get out on a limb, and bobble trying to get back to base.

nada
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Yeah, and?

Last edited by Visalia; 09/17/21 04:13 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, and?

Dear me....

Hope you find the answer to your question(s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission