2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (chopin_r_us, brennbaer, clothearednincompo, antune, Alfred La Fleur, CraiginNZ, Cutec, Carey, ALEXANDER DYKER, 6 invisible), 493 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Moz-art Offline OP
OP Offline
Last things I've played are: Bach partita #2, English suite #3 (prelude only), Beethoven Tempest 3rd mov.

I'm completely overwhelmed by the great number of pieces I can play, and I need to determine what to play. So I want to get some concrete suggestions for beautiful pieces that I can study at around that level. I don't mind if the style is Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist. I just want to read your ideas. Or even one of each. I plan on studying a couple of pieces simultaneously: one by Bach... and something else.

Thank you!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you want a challenge, play the second movement of the Tempest.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
" ... concrete suggestions for beautiful pieces..."

Well, as you know the repertoire is so incredibly vast that it would be hard to know where to begin. I suggest that you think about composers whose works you may want or would like to play and start by investigating their works.

You've painted the request with such a broad brush - from Baroque to Impressionism - that the field is wide open.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by Moz-art
I'm completely overwhelmed by the great number of pieces I can play, and I need to determine what to play.
Don't be overwhelmed.

The Master (yours truly) is here to guide you.

Scarlatti: Sonatas Kk9, 27, 87, 322, 380
Mozart: Sonata in A, K331
Schubert: Sonata in A, D664
Chopin: Waltzes Op.64
Schumann: Arabeske
Brahms: Klavierstücke, Op.118
Debussy: Estampes
Rachmaninov: Preludes Op.3/2, Op.23/4, Op.32/5, Op.32/10

All the above have tunes, luscious harmonies, street-cred......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
I'm completely overwhelmed by the great number of pieces I can play, and I need to determine what to play.
Are you overwhelmed because you've heard a lot of pieces and can't decide or because you know there are a lot of pieces but aren't familiar with the repertoire at the appropriate level?

There are hundreds or even thousands of good choices but you don't have to find the perfect choice...just some good ones. Here are a few more but my biggest suggestion would be to start listening to a lot of music and make your own choices:
Bach: Italian Concerto, French Suite No. 5
Haydn: Capriccio in G Major
Beethoven: Sonata in A flat Op. 26, Variation on God Save the Queen
Schubert: Any of the Impromptus or Moment Musicals
Schumann: Des Abends, Soaring, and Des Abends from Op. 12 Fantasy Pieces, Kinderscenen
Schubert-Liszt: Litaney, Standchen
Schumann-Liszt: Widmung
Brahms: Any from Op. 117 or Op. 119
Ravel: Valses Nobles et Sentimentales, Sonatine

Moz-art Offline OP
OP Offline
@BDB Thank you!

@BruceD The problem I have is I like everything. I have a preference for baroque (specially for Bach) but I also like the other styles I mentioned. So I always keep two pieces at the same time. A baroque (usually Bach) piece and something else.

@bennevis Thank you man, you’re a true master.

@pianoloverus I can’t decide because I like many pieces. I am familiar with most of the pieces you mentioned, except for Liszt, probably because I am not particularly fond of his music. As I wrote before, I usually study a baroque piece alongside with something different. Over time I’ve listened many times to all partitas, English and French suites, Italian concerto (beautiful piece) and Goldberg Variations. I’ve listened to many Scarlatti sonatas, almost all of Mozart and Beethoven sonatas, also some Haydn sonatas, Brahms Op. 118 and 119, Chopin waltzes, preludes, nocturnes, polonaises, sonatas (#3 is amazing, but out of my reach), quite a few Rachmaninoff pieces, Mussorgsky pictures, Debussy, Fauré, Ravel... and I like all of those pieces. Thus, I’m overwhelmed!! Thank you for your suggestions.

@pianoloverus I can’t decide because I like many pieces. I am familiar with most of the pieces you mentioned, except for Liszt, probably because I am not particularly fond of his music. As I wrote before, I usually study a baroque piece alongside with something different. Over time I’ve listened many times to all partitas, English and French suites, Italian concerto (beautiful piece) and Goldberg Variations. I’ve listened to many Scarlatti sonatas, almost all of Mozart and Beethoven sonatas, also some Haydn sonatas, Brahms Op. 118 and 119, Chopin waltzes, preludes, nocturnes, polonaises, sonatas (#3 is amazing, but out of my reach), quite a few Rachmaninoff pieces, Mussorgsky pictures, Debussy, Fauré, Ravel... and I like all of those pieces. Thus, I’m overwhelmed!! Thank you for your suggestions.
I'm glad to hear you are familiar with so much music. I think a lot of people who ask for rep suggestions here just haven't listened to much piano music even in the age of YT. Since you are familiar with a lot of pieces, I really think it's best for you to play the ones that you like best. Remember, you only have to like it...you don't have to be convinced it's the ultimate choice. Whatever you select won't be the last piece you ever play. If you are not sure about the difficulty level you can ask for help about that here or better yet from your teacher.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
If you like baroque music, you should try to play other composers. Rameau, Couperin father and son, .... or some composers that are rarely played on piano like one of the very few baroque women composer Jacquet de la Guerre.

B
B
Over time I’ve listened many times to all partitas, English and French suites, Italian concerto (beautiful piece) and Goldberg Variations. I’ve listened to many Scarlatti sonatas, almost all of Mozart and Beethoven sonatas, also some Haydn sonatas, Brahms Op. 118 and 119, Chopin waltzes, preludes, nocturnes, polonaises, sonatas (#3 is amazing, but out of my reach), quite a few Rachmaninoff pieces, Mussorgsky pictures, Debussy, Fauré, Ravel... and I like all of those pieces. Thus, I’m overwhelmed!!
Don't be afraid to try out any or all of those pieces, including the 'impossible' ones (or the ones you thought were impossible for you). I assume, of course, that you have reasonable reading skills. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as a sage would way.

I have several pieces in my long-term rep that probably aren't "great" music, but which are sheer fun to play, and also much enjoyed by audiences whenever I perform them (e.g. Scarlatti's Kk141, Mendelssohn's Rondo capriccioso, Grieg's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Sibelius's Op.5/5, Sinding's Rustle of Spring, Paderewski's Minuet in G, Albéniz's Asturias, Bartók's Romanian Folk Dances, Ginastera's 3 Argentinian Dances....) so I never want to relinquish them - and I only discovered how enjoyable they are to play when I actually played through them.

Therefore, I'd always retain them alongside the Goldberg, the sonatas and partitas, the ballades and fantasias.........even if only for sheer finger-tickling fun when I'm in the mood whistle.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Some baroque suggestions

Also Mendelssohn's Rondo capriccioso, is great music!, wish I could play it well

F
F
I am familiar with most of the pieces you mentioned, except for Liszt, probably because I am not particularly fond of his music.

As someone who IS fond of Liszt's music, I can wholeheartedly recommend some of his late period pieces: Nuages gris (Gray Clouds) is technically [extremely] simple, but musically quite complex.

If you're good with rhythm, you could also try the Impromptu in F-sharp, S. 191. I tried that one, but I failed miserably with that one.

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
Moz-art Offline OP
OP Offline
@pianoloverus Very true. Sometimes one tries to make the ultimate, absolute choice but it's simply a new piece that will be followed by a different one. I listen to lots of music during my free time, and I enjoy it very much. I specially listen to piano and violin pieces since they are the two instruments I play (although I can only aspire to play piano pieces because most of the violin repertoire is completely out of my current ability level. Someday I'll reach it...).

@sidokar I haven't played anything by Couperin or Rameau, although I was really close to play Les Barricades Mysterieuses a couple of years ago. Maybe I should think about it again. I enjoy playing Scarlatti sonatas, although I'm not sure if they're considered baroque or "pre-classical".

@bennevis Sokolov is one of my favourite pianists! Thank you for the suggestions.

@Farazissimo I accept the "challenge". I'll start listening to late Liszt pieces and see if I enjoy them more. I don't exactly know why but I haven't hit the "spot" with Liszt's music. I want to like it, but I tend to get bored when I listen to his pieces...

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brand new vs very old and used grand
by CyberGene - 09/22/21 03:34 AM
Fingering help
by DJmeurer - 09/22/21 12:52 AM
Stories from behind the piano
by PhilipInChina - 09/21/21 10:30 PM
Tweaking Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 09/21/21 06:32 PM
FP10 - speaker question
by Sunnek - 09/21/21 06:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,230
Posts3,134,181
Members102,797
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission