2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, AmyBNE, 14 invisible), 526 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3155635 09/12/21 09:36 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey y’all, don’t know if this has been discussed or if this is even the right spot in the forum, but I was wondering if anyone either A). Knows where to find a company that manufactures the Rmi electra sustain pedal, or B). Has one they’d like to sell, or C). If anyone knows an alternative way to get sustain out of that keyboard. Thanks everyone

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Any standard sustain pedal with switchable polarity should work.

Yamaha P-515
J
OP Offline
J
Ahh Ok, I wasn’t sure because I don’t actually have one yet, but I’m in talks for buying one that doesn’t come with a pedal

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't recommend buying a 1970s vintage instrument without any knowledge and without means to repair/overhaul/restore it. Electronic stuff that old doesn't simply work out of the box. A missing pedal set will be your least problem.

Yamaha P-515
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joe is right. It's risky buying old equipment. And ... can't you get something new that will produce similar sound? Are there any virtual instruments that will serve?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Jeffrey:

Wow. Are you talking about a sustain pedal for a vintage RMI electra-piano with piano, harpsichord and organ sounds?

I had one of those back in the day.

It had 3 sounds: piano, harpsichord and organ.

The "harpsichord" was what I found most attractive about it. The "piano" is rather curious sounding. The "organ" was the most realistic of the sounds and my recollection is it was really quite nice.

I left mine at my brother's house when I moved up to Massachusetts. He subsequently gave it away, so it could possibly still be floating around somewhere in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Good luck with the instrument. You should be able to pick it up for a song, cost-wise.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Originally Posted by JefferyLebowski
Hey y’all, don’t know if this has been discussed or if this is even the right spot in the forum, but I was wondering if anyone either A). Knows where to find a company that manufactures the Rmi electra sustain pedal, or B). Has one they’d like to sell, or C). If anyone knows an alternative way to get sustain out of that keyboard. Thanks everyone

My apologies for the somewhat off-topic reply, however are you familiar with the tonal character of the RMI Electra?

It's quite a distinctive sound, but the technology of that period was not capable of reproducing an acoustic piano sound with a great deal of realism.

There is an RMI Electra sound pack available for Nord instruments, which I have used on a couple of funk tunes in the past...it's pretty cool if you're trying to match the sound of a particular 60s/70s song.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
Online Content
P
Rocky Mountain Instruments (RMI) was owned by Allen Organs. Macungie, PA.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
There is an RMI Electra sound pack available for Nord instruments, which I have used on a couple of funk tunes in the past...it's pretty cool if you're trying to match the sound of a particular 60s/70s song.
Just listened to it. What a hideous sound!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Originally Posted by CyberGene
What a hideous sound!

Yeah, I wouldn't use it for regular piano playing!

However if you're seeking a particular sound that was used on a famous recording/album by a 60s/70s artist, there could be a good reason for purchasing a second-hand RMI Electra.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Per Cybergene, referring, I assume, to the RMI's "piano" sound:

"Just listened to it. What a hideous sound!"

Yes, well, you said it more plainly than I did.

laugh

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m into some vintage funk too but can’t recognize that sound. Maybe on records it’s going through some effects. The raw sound is reminiscent of the sounds produced by cheap toys.

@CG: Spoiled much? By the availability of fine pianos? (Me too.)

I was around for the 60s-era electro-gizmo sounds. I don't find them attractive anymore. The sounds are no longer appealing. The old boys' toys just make noise.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
No, no, I don’t mean acoustic piano substitutes. In the 60s there were Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Hammond and Clavinet, all of which are still my favorite sounds after the piano. And in the 70s we had the wonderful Moog, ARP, Prophet, Oberheim and other analog synths. But this thing is just awful 😀

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Yes, I liked the Wurly I had back in the '70s. I sold it after I bought a "real" piano - a Kimbel spinet, heh, heh, heh. The Wurly had a certain appeal. I later regretted having parted with it. It certainly served its purpose. I taught myself how to play piano on it.

I only realized much later in life - after finding PianoWorld and embarking on PIANO QUEST - that my spinet was somewhat less than stupendous. But it was still truly acoustic - and sounded thusly acoustical - had not one ounce of that fake give-away sound we so wish could be 100% eradicated from digital and VST pianos.

My Wurly, like my RMI Electra-Piano, is hopefully still somewhere out there alive and kicking in the Pittsburgh area. Maybe even in that Bog Somewhere North of Pittsburgh/Pgh, MacMacMac.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Per CyberGene:

"I’m into some vintage funk too but can’t recognize that (RMI) sound. Maybe on records it’s going through some effects. The raw sound is reminiscent of the sounds produced by cheap toys."

That's an interesting observation. I recognize the sound of the electric-mechanical Wurlitzer now and again in old pop and rock songs playing on the radio. I also occasionally hear the Wurly sound in current music, but I don't ever recall hearing the sound of an RMI electra-piano in a pop or rock song.

Wikipedia, however, states various incarnations of the RMI were used by The Beach Boys, Lovin' Spoonful, Sun Ra, Deep Purple, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, Ron Mael, Nicky Hopkins (loved his lp/gone too soon/RIP), Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Stevie Winwood, and Dr. John.

So, maybe we hear the RMI but, as CyberGene points out, we just don't recognize it?

Wikipedia states Stevie Winwood played an RMI electra-piano on "Empty Pages" from the "John Barleycorn" lp.

Traffic - Empty Pages (1970)

Hmmm…A piano sound in the "Empty Pages" video above does come in @ 1:50 min - but if that's the RMI, it sounds better than I remember the one I used to play having sounded.

This next video below...

RMI electra-piano 368X demo [organ69]

… seems closer to how I remember my RMI sounding. This guy's playing in a style that makes it sound better than I remember. So the RMI is likely more favorably suited to certain style of music; is useful as Kawai James said/intimated, for certain types of sounds/playing/eras you want to create/recreate. Just not the best, obviously, if your goal is to have as truly authentic sounding acoustic piano as possible.

Jeffery: The RMI I had, in addition to the "piano", "harpsichord" and "organ" settings I mentioned previously, also had a "Lute" setting I had forgotten about. I wonder if the one you are thinking of buying has all these sounds?

Jeanne W

P.S. For anyone interested in the Wurly sound, the Alesis keyboard I tried out years ago at a piano shop, as the shop employee pointed out had, "a great Wurly". I agreed. It sounded very authentic to the real thing.

1920 Steinway A3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Just listened to it. What a hideous sound!

+1

When I went to Berklee in 1977, they had some pianos in the ensemble rooms that were either RMI or some sort of knockoff. Truly hideous.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I had of those. Bought it right after I saw Steve Winwood with Blind Faith in 1969 and he was playing it. It was the rage, everyone had one.

I hated it with that goofy farfisa organ type action. But it was an even sound and in tune, plus you didn't have to mess with reeds like with the wurlitzer. Those were a nightmare.

It was slim pickings back then, not many options. Eventually I moved on from the RMI to another beast-- the Baldwin Electropiano.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Eventually I moved on from the RMI to another beast-- the Baldwin Electropiano.
Ah, I had one of those... loved it. I had the multi-string one (there was also a one-string-per-key version). Too bad they didn't market it toward gigging musicians, I think it could have been quite a success there. Yamaha later came out with the CP70/CP80 that were huge hits, but the Baldwin was already there with something whose sound, action, and travel weight were already as good or better, and nobody knew it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeanne W
... but I don't ever recall hearing the sound of an RMI electra-piano in a pop or rock song.......various incarnations of the RMI were used by The Beach Boys, Lovin' Spoonful, Sun Ra, Deep Purple, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, Ron Mael, Nicky Hopkins (loved his lp/gone too soon/RIP), Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Stevie Winwood, and Dr. John....

Jeanne W

As i recall the era of some of those performers you mentioned, i also remember being fascinated by the way some of them, in concert, literally surrounded themselves with a nearly enclosed wall of keyboards equipment to have all the desired sounds for this that the other piece extended or long, short or snippet riff ....the first time i saw YES and the tall long blonde man in cape with outstretched arms alternating and or straddling & playing multiple keyboards within his bunker of gear, that included Siberian Khatru, the middle section which includes a brief albeit noticeably distinct & pleasing to my ears harpsi - like riff as just one example .... those guys .... Banks .... Emerson ..... Winwood .... Livgren ....and many more, were dedicated to the nth degree in playing with / from a palette of acoustic & electric keyboards sounds even when one in particular may have just been a brief snippet within a large rock orchestra ..... is that where you are headed OP? 🙂

Last edited by drewr; 09/13/21 12:34 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission