2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (An Old Square, 36251, Bellicapelli, brdwyguy, bobrunyan, Abdol, 21 invisible), 725 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This quote from Mike Martin also clarified the differences for me between the CT-S1 and S400

... from the Piano Corner thread ...
Originally Posted by "Mike Martin"
There is a bass / piano split built-in but the CT-S1 really isn't about that. It is about being simple, easy and instantly accessible. If you're looking for splits, layers and other things wait for the CT-S400. It has a much larger sound with the ability to store registrations. It is however missing some of the CT-S1's unique sounds.

- Another difference is polyphony: CT-S1 has 64 while CT-S400 has 48.
- For better built-in speakers, the CT-X series is a better choice
- If your priority is portability the CT-S series has a better form factor - and despite being plastic, (arguably) has a more pleasing design.

Last edited by Groove On; 06/17/21 06:26 PM.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The bass/piano split is the only split I need. Although a bass/vibes split is really nice too for blowing.

Last edited by RinTin; 06/17/21 06:49 PM.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
Originally Posted by Groove On
- For better built-in speakers, the CT-X series is a better choice

CT-X3000 or CT-X5000 yes but not the CT-X700 or CT-X800.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
The CT-s400 looks nice and the screen is a great addition as well! I feel like I wouldn't use 600 tones, and from YouTube comparison videos the sounds on the CT-S1 just seem to be better than their counterparts on the 400, maybe it's just me but I definitely can hear a difference. On top of the super cool transistor organs, and synths that I find super useful. On the other hand I don't use the arranging functions/rhythms whatsoever nor care for splits that much in a keyboard for this particular purpose (the piano + bass split is enough for what I need ). I just like the simplest interface ever, with the most important functions easy to access and the more rare ones while still there, are hidden between shortcuts which is okay. On the bright side no screen and less "stuff" means longer battery life. Not that it's gonna be a big deal anyway but it's something.

The only single thing I do wish was on the CT-S1 is the pitch wheel. Not a huge deal for me personally but it is nice to have on the 400 and useful from a player's perspective!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
JPS has now reviewed it

I received my CT-S1 today! I'm generally impressed - so far - with the build quality, sounds, keyboard feel (for what it is), and so on.

I'm disappointed, though, that when I use the audio output to connect to an amplifier, the built-in speakers turn OFF.

Does anyone know of a way around that? I can see that having the internal speakers on as monitors for the player will be useful while using an external amp in a jam situation.

thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I had a Casio Casiotone CT-640 some decades ago. 1988 to be exact.

This new Casiotone CT-S1 is rather miles ahead ... and for about the same price.

It sounded quite good on a You Tube video.

I know you normally can't judge detail very well from a video. But the difference is so stark that it shines through nonetheless.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Hugh R Heinsohn
I received my CT-S1 today! I'm generally impressed - so far - with the build quality, sounds, keyboard feel (for what it is), and so on.

I'm disappointed, though, that when I use the audio output to connect to an amplifier, the built-in speakers turn OFF.

Does anyone know of a way around that? I can see that having the internal speakers on as monitors for the player will be useful while using an external amp in a jam situation.

thanks!
I don't think theres a way around this without modding the S1, but you could add your own monitors for the player, either iem or small speakers using a mixer to connect to the amp.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 09/11/21 02:43 AM.
Thanks @spanishbuddha.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It would be interesting to have a comparison between different 200$ DP. Casio CT-S1, Roland Go:Piano, Yamaha NP32. Are the keyboard good enough for casual use ?

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a CT-S1 and the best advice I can offer is set the Touch to Heavy for a better response with the Piano sound.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
It would be interesting to have a comparison between different 200$ DP. Casio CT-S1, Roland Go:Piano, Yamaha NP32. Are the keyboard good enough for casual use ?

I had the Roland Go Piano for about 3 years, and now the CT-S1 for a few months. I was pleasantly surprised by the CT-S1 action; there is some sort of friction/padding in the action that gives decent control over the dynamics. While it's not weighted, it feels slightly semi-weighted. The sounds are nicely designed and I find the action playable with decent dynamics - good enough for casual/amateur gigs. Don't let your imagination run away with you, it's still a cheap plastic action, but it's the best action I've played at this price point. Unlike the Go Piano action, which I felt like I was fighting from the very beginning, the CT-S1 has been fun to play from day one.

Go Piano
My problem with the Go Piano was that dynamics were extremely blunt; I could play soft or loud but it was difficult and unpleasant to consistently get colorful dynamics, so it force me to choose between playing loud or soft. I eventually sold it because I grew to hate the action and stopped playing it. Personally, I think the NP32 action is very similar to the Go Piano.

VST / Pianoteq
On Pianoteq I set the velocity curve with the slope curved downward (looks like a hammock); I think it's the best setting for decent piano dynamics on the CT-S1.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
P
P
Hi there. My main piano is a Yamaha P-125 and I've been trying out various portable options for busking, taking to casual jam sessions etc so I knew I wouldn't be getting something with weighted keys. I settled on the CTS-1 and I love it. The keys are synth action, but have an almost semi-weighted feel to them, and the sounds from Casio's AiX sound chip are nothing short of spectacular for something that sells for $200 USD. The main piano sound is awesome, as are the Rhodes and organs, and there is even a mellotron. I actually did a review on my blog and YouTube channel, but if you haven't decided yet, I can totally recommend it if you're ok with no weighted keys (that's why it only weighs 10 pounds!)

YouTube review:

Written review: https://www.pianotone.ca/casiotone-cts-1-review/

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Based on all the hype and online excitement I encouraged a relative of mine to get a CT-S1 for an accompanist to use with a very amateur choir my relative helps out with. Of course it's plugged in to a little PA system. I shudder to think how awful their previous little keyboard was but from what they say it wasn't even touch sensitive. They're all delighted with the Casio and it represents a very big improvement apparently.

I've tried it though and I just can't handle the action at all - it certainly is very nice sounding for the price but the (disconcertingly undersized) springy keys are just hateful. I had been on the brink of buying one for the super-easy portability and option to use whilst just lounging around but the action is an absolute no-no for me. I admire anyone who can go from a proper weighted action to one of these springy synth type of things and get any kind of pleasure from them at all.

I have found a way to get the internal speakers to work while also using an external amplifier!

You have to use an external sound module. You take the MIDI output from the keyboard into the external sound module and then plug the audio output of the sound module into your external amplifier. With this setup, you can continue using the internal speakers to monitor yourself while also getting a bigger sound out of the external amplifier.

For the sound module, you have some choices, including the things like the V3 Grand Piano https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V3GrandPiano--v3-sound-grand-piano-xxl-sound-module . However, these types of dedicated sound modules, while I'm sure they sound very good, are quite expensive and that defeats one of the purposes of getting a keyboard like this in the first place.

Fortunately, there is a much cheaper alternative: Use an iPhone. I use my iPhone with a camera adapter that provides audio and USB connections. I purchased this particular one off Amazon and it is working quite well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94PB7Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

For the sound module, you have many choices available in the App Store, including iGrand ($20), Ravenscroft ($35), and the Korg Sound Module (free). I am using the Korg app and have purchased their basic set of keyboard sounds, including a decent set of piano sounds for $10. Korg offers the Ivory set of keyboard sounds as well which do sound better - but cost $30. I decided that for my purposes, with the external amp I have, the differences in sound quality would be hard to hear. (I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini for my external am.)

I continue to be quite happy with the CT-S1. Very light and portable, decent semi-weighted (and full size) keys, well made. Can't beat the price.

Last edited by Hugh R Heinsohn; 10/27/21 10:08 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission