2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
wmm575 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
NO, Vlad was being "superior"..this isn't a language class, it's a piano discussion group. You and he have brought about my departure. It's sounding like the old ladies group, a bunch of nothing to do but look for ways to criticize someone else's misspelling, format, content. Maybe you should take with you, as a learning experience, the phrase from academia that there is no such thing as a stupid

William M McGlinchey
W
wmm575 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
NO, Vlad was being "superior"..this isn't a language class, it's a piano discussion group. You and he have brought about my departure. It's sounding like the old ladies group, a bunch of men with nothing to do but look for ways to criticize someone else's misspelling, format, content. Maybe you should take with you, as a learning experience, the phrase from academia that there is no such thing as a stupid question, only the unasked question.

William M McGlinchey
W
wmm575 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
That was all presented, age, all 93-2002, all in look-like-new condition, all within 10-15k$$.....there is NO place to find a variety of brands under one dealer roof.

William M McGlinchey
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wmm575
I have been playing since I was 6, and now over 70, been a teacher, clinical social worker, psychologist and ranking military officer. Try to be helpful.

Thank you for your CV. Perhaps it would help to spell out the questions you would like the members to answer.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
If it is not possible to see the pianos in person, pick a new Kawaii or Estonia and hope for the best. They should be reliable and of very good quality. Whether you would like living with the chosen one is a guess.

I am sure there ARE circumstances where it simply is impossible to try to before buying, and I wish you the best. Just get as much information as you can and recognize the significant uncertainty as to how the action will feel. On the other hand, concertizing virtuosos adapt to whatever is presented; I suppose we can as well!

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
There was nothing wrong with the "format" of my first post and I studied Latin for 6 yrs at /BC High and BC.We all make typo errors now and then. The point on the 'fora' (correct plural) is to have interesting and productive discussions and help each other out with info. I don't know why this has turned into a multilingual correction squad. The first three replies were in attack mode. If you read my prior thread, you might understand the problem.

I don't think anybody had an intent of hurting your feelings, all I wanted was to point you to the fact that your text is hard to comprehend, and reformatting it might help.
If next responder to your post also found it confusing, it might be a good hint to take a thought that its text might need improvement, no?
Your defensively aggressive response has surprised me, but everybody have their own attitude. I get this, but I don't find your anger justified to say the least.

Formatting is supposed to make information more accessible to the reader. 21 sentences (and many of those of complex structure) without single line break, withour separation of subjects to paragraphs, etc., are not an easy reading.

IMHO, when you write a novel, you can choose whatever style you wish, but if you ask a question and expect an interesting and productive discussion, it is in your own interest to make the question as clear as possible to get more and better answers, and if you believe that some prior thread provides additional information, it would be in your best interest to provide hyperlink to it, so others can dig into subject instantly.

If you do not care - it's your choice, but remember that this forum is not commercial customer support; somebody who might help you may just skip this discussion because of issues with OP and with your attitude I mentioned above.

I rest my case.

P.S. You anger does not justify you rudeness.

Last edited by VladK; 09/12/21 07:35 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
W
wmm575 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Could not be clearer

William M McGlinchey
W
wmm575 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,

MY ANGER AND ATTITUDE?? YOU CREATED THAT WITH SUCH AN INSULTING THING TO SOMEONE ABOUT WHOM YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEFGE AND HAVE HAD NO INTERACTIONS. YOU;RE CALLING ME A FOOL....THAT;S REALLY HELPFUL. BECAUSE OF YOU AND THE FOLLOWING COMMENT SENDER, I AM CHECKING OUT RIGHT NOW.
VISIT THE LIBRARY...READ A CHALLENGING BOOK

William M McGlinchey

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Vlad,

MY ANGER AND ATTITUDE?? YOU CREATED THAT WITH SUCH AN INSULTING THING TO SOMEONE ABOUT WHOM YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEFGE AND HAVE HAD NO INTERACTIONS. YOU;RE CALLING ME A FOOL....THAT;S REALLY HELPFUL. BECAUSE OF YOU AND THE FOLLOWING COMMENT SENDER, I AM CHECKING OUT RIGHT NOW.
VISIT THE LIBRARY...READ A CHALLENGING BOOK

That’s simply his forum signature. It shows up at the bottom of each post, not directed at you. It’s a philosophy, not a taunt. BTW, it’s been his signature since long before you joined the forum (so clearly not directed at you).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
yes the nearby dealer totally disparaged the new BAldwin

Pianomill.com, in nearby Rockland, says they’re the exclusive Baldwin dealer in Mass. so I assume that’s the dealer who totally disparaged the new Baldwin.

Why would they carry them if they don’t believe in them?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Originally Posted by pianogabe
not *am* but *um*, "ad absurdum". Not that it matters one iota pianowise, but I am happy that I finally see a chance to apply 5 years of hard work on latin in school decades ago :-)
Dominus vobiscum

et cum Spiritu tuo
Cannot remember what comes next so, "Amen" Do I make the sign of the cross now?

Fancy that and Plato never said it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
I have been playing since I was 6, and now over 70, been a teacher, clinical social worker, psychologist and ranking military officer. Try to be helpful.

Thank you for your CV. Perhaps it would help to spell out the questions you would like the members to answer.
Why on earth is everyone being so rude here?? Gosh, people, sign out and go do something other than making people feel like crap. 🙄

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonyk
Originally Posted by Withindale

Why on earth is everyone being so rude here?? Gosh, people, sign out and go do something other than making people feel like crap. 🙄
I agree the OP has suffered significant disappointment and frustration.It seems amazing that this could happen.I do not think the dealer was trying to sell your piano for a higher price to someone who ordered later.It must be embarrassing for dealers who have to wait for pianos to arrive especially after accepting money for a piano from customers.I think what you really felt was the dealers embarrassment.The pandemic has brought with it so much unexpected stress and suffering that when people have a sudden "melt down" it is probably normal
behavior.Perhaps we need to be more tolerant in this place.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Here is something that helps me: people don't necessarily reply to the person who writes the post, but they reply to the post itself regardless of who writes it. Seeing as online forums are anonymous, it's really nothing to take personally.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
That’s simply his forum signature. It shows up at the bottom of each post, not directed at you.
I just realized that forum signatures don't show up on the mobile version of the website (only show up on the desktop version).

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
That’s simply his forum signature. It shows up at the bottom of each post, not directed at you.
I just realized that forum signatures don't show up on the mobile version of the website (only show up on the desktop version).

Change the orientation to portrait if you want to see the forum signature on a mobile phone.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
not *am* but *um*, "ad absurdum". Not that it matters one iota pianowise, but I am happy that I finally see a chance to apply 5 years of hard work on latin in school decades ago :-)

Since it doesn’t matter one iota here, perhaps you need to find a Latin board to hone your skills. They would appreciate your correction.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson

Since it doesn’t matter one iota here, perhaps you need to find a Latin board to hone your skills. They would appreciate your correction.

Oh come on, this was a joke obviously (to me at least). Why so negative? The OP made a typo in the title of the thread. No big deal but I think it is not an offense to point it out in a lighthearted way, given that he started to use Latin in the first place. But if you do take offense than I apologize to you and the OP.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dogperson

Oh come on, this was a joke obviously (to me at least). Why so negative? The OP made a typo in the title of the thread. No big deal but I think it is not an offense to point it out in a lighthearted way, given that he started to use Latin in the first place. But if you do take offense than I apologize to you and the OP.

Hey, it doesn't have to be a joke. If like me you essentially wasted a few years of study on Latin you need to take any opportunity you can to make a little use from it - my Latin is so bad though that I won't even make an attempt :-)

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Note to self:
It's Ad nauseam but it's Ad absurdum
It's Ad nos ad salutarem undam, but also E pluribus unum

whome

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission