2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (drumour, cygnusdei, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, David Boyce, bkem101, chopin_r_us, brennbaer, dhts, 6 invisible), 1,014 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
You seem determined to get a 7 footer, and not afraid of taking some risk. You also want something that's playable for your son (per your other post).

I jokingly said above that I'd prefer the Baldwin to this one, but if you're willing to take something like this on, I'd send your bridge pictures to some local technicians and ask them for a ballpark estimate to recap the Baldwin's bridge(s). Use that as leverage to get the price down. If the owner will come down on the price -- way down -- then have it properly inspected to make sure there are no other issues and proceed accordingly.

The other thing that occurs to me is that you may be suffering from jalopy syndrome (I fall in love with every old car, truck or motorcycle I come across). You've got to look at a variety of pianos before you stop feeling drawn in by each one.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
btw, there's nothing wrong with wanting a 7ft grand thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Quite so but it may not be the most cost effective choice !!!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I think the ideal piano for our room would be 5'10" to 6'2". But what I see is limited by the market. I actually don't like 7" pianos unless it is good.

I was thinking about racap the Baldwin. But I am not sure I will like the sound after all those work. Also the seller doesn't want to reduce the price to 6k.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yonion
My final budget can be higher. Your link reminded me that I should record a short video when playing the piano and share it here. You may then have a better idea of the condition of the piano. I am not too worried about the dents or scratches on the body. We are not good at keeping things in a pristine condition anyway. I care more about sound and action and how long it can last. Are there any particular things I should play to test the action and sound? I don't play piano. My son does. But I can do the testing.
I'm assuming you are aware of this one and may have already tried it out. A 2003 Yamaha C2 for $12K.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/d/methuen-yamaha-c2-piano/7375005597.html

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
We haven't seen this one. Because we already see the 1983 G2, whose condition is like new and much cheaper.

BTW, my son's piano teacher doesn't like the idea of buying an 85-key piano, though she did not give any good reason either. Anyway. The combined wisdom is against the idea of buying this kind of piano. We will keep looking.

I guess if I care about the sound, I may have to double my budget. What makes this hard is that our upright piano's sound is too good. It is not easy to beat that sound with smaller grands.

Thanks guys.

M
M
BTW, my son's piano teacher doesn't like the idea of buying an 85-key piano, though she did not give any good reason either.

Debussy's "Reflets Dans L'eau" is one good reason.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark Alexander
BTW, my son's piano teacher doesn't like the idea of buying an 85-key piano, though she did not give any good reason either.

As is Kapustin's first Concert Etude and Rzewski piece No. 4

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DanS
As is Kapustin's first Concert Etude and Rzewski piece No. 4

Funny that you mention the Kapustin, as I'm playing it later this month on the college's 1889 model A that has 85 keys, and have to relearn the ending to suit. It definitely takes something away from the experience in that case!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

And Ravel's 'Jeux d'eau', Prokofiev concerti 2 and 3, Rzewski's 'People United' and of course Scriabin's 7th sonata, where in fact the climax of the whole piece requires the top C. OTOH, one of the most famous recordings omits the whole last octave and for the past 50 years no critic has actually complained about it in a review.

Maybe the piano teacher has high aspirations for your son...

There have been several PW threads about pieces that can't be played on 85 note pianos. As far as I recall none of them could find even ten pieces in the standard literature that could not be played on an 85 note piano.

S
S
This sounds to me like it is a project piano, as was the Baldwin you looked at. By this I mean that they are pianos that you buy because you want to spend serious effort in fixing/maintaining them (or spend serious time and effort with a technician). These are not pianos you buy because they will be great practice instruments for a teenager.

Do you really want a project piano? Does your son? If I were your son’s age and had been playing a Baldwin Hamilton that was in pretty good shape and sounded nice (which is what I understand from your post), I would not want to transition to a very old piano or a piano with major issues (which very old pianos often have) as my primary practice instrument. The Yamahas under discussion seem like much better options.

For the record, am assuming that THIS is the 1883 Steinway the OP was considering.

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=46606

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Originally Posted by Carey
For the record, am assuming that THIS is the 1883 Steinway the OP was considering.
If so, I don't like that the ad is misleading/deceptive although it is certainly not the only ad is that category. The piano is far from what would normally be called "rebuilt". Even the way the picture is taken, with the music desk moved way to forward seems strange.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/09/21 09:52 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Carey
If so, I don't like that the ad is misleading/deceptive although it is certainly not the only ad is that category. The piano is far from what would normally be called "rebuilt". Even the way the picture is taken, with the music desk moved way to forward seems strange.

I agree that the ad is misleading - and given that the ad was placed by the piano owner's technician (who has done the work on it), the deception has to have been willful (technicians clearly know the distinction between refreshed / restored / rebuilt.)

I would avoid this piano.

Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Yes, this is the one we are talking about. I am not very familiar with the differences between these words, though I think I read it in the piano book. I don't know whether the seller is trying to mislead buyer or just being sloppy with words. Does rebuild require action and soundboard replacement? I am wondering what the position of the bench may imply. We definitely want to avoid any project pianos. I liked this one because I saw the string, pin block, pins are all relatively new. When I check the soundboard and bridge, I also did not see big problem. Again, I am not a piano tech. My hope is that it can last like 10 years without major repairs. My piano tech used to tell me that sticky keys are normally not hard to fix.

Last edited by yonion; 09/09/21 02:48 PM.
Yes, this is the one we are talking about. I am not very familiar with the differences between these words, though I think I read it in the piano book. I don't know whether the seller is trying to mislead buyer or just being sloppy with words. Does rebuild require action and soundboard replacement? I am wondering what the position of the bench may imply. We definitely want to avoid any project pianos. I liked this one because I saw the string, pin block, pins are all relatively new. When I check the soundboard and bridge, I also did not see big problem. Again, I am not a piano tech. My hope is that it can last like 10 years without major repairs. My piano tech used to tell me that sticky keys are normally not hard to fix.
Quite honestly, if you want assurance that a piano will last at least 10 years without major repairs, you probably need to purchase a much newer instrument.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Another option in your area - 1996 Yamaha C2 $12K
https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=45373

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't buy it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I can't speak for this particular piano, but those early B's can be quite charming. If the power and sustain is good in octaves 5 and 6, don't worry about the board. It's lasted almost a century and a half and will last another 20 years.

The action can be challenging if modern parts are placed on it, ie: high inertia and I would make sure you can play glissando and chromatic ppp with the sustain pedal held.

Also, price is too high, but not too many pianos in that price range can do what that one can do if it;s working properly and the price is right, which it isn't.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,667
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission