2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Charline, deadlymajesty, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, David Boyce, An Old Square, claburo, 12 invisible), 592 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3154436 09/08/21 09:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
We know they manufacture acoustic piano's, but digital ones?

Pearl River GP-1100

There's even 1 in stock!

By the way, it's a Danish website, but the technical details are in English.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It has the sound of a famous sample!
"Germany Famous grand piano sound sample"

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
All kidding aside, I’ve wondered why some of these ‘lesser-known’ piano makers have not yet seized on the opportunity of overtaking the ‘hybrid’ market.

It seems like their main drawback is that their acoustic pianos aren’t good, so why not ditch all of that and start building hybrids; which are way cheaper to manufacture, and need neither pedigree nor hand-made snobbery.

Is it that difficult to build/design or outsource a digital sound-engine and some speakers? I don’t think so. Look at what CG did with almost no resources (congrats on that, CG).

So, Pearl River, are you up to the task?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Looks great, might be worth a visit to Copenhagen for me to try it out. Which has been a bit more complicated due to the pandemic.

The info on their website doesn't add up, in the description they say the polyphony is 512, but in the specifications, it's 256. Which is right?

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

"Fatar 88 Grand-Response". Is that a true acoustic (adapted) action that allows this piano to be labeled 'hybrid'? (Probably not?)

Here is a Pearl River site featuring three digital piano models, each of which uses that action:

https://pearlriverpiano.co.uk/digital-piano

One features an upright-style cabinet with a large(!) soundboard.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

Pete14 #3154455 09/08/21 09:52 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
All kidding aside, I’ve wondered why some of these ‘lesser-known’ piano makers have not yet seized on the opportunity of overtaking the ‘hybrid’ market.

Look at what CG did with almost no resources (congrats on that, CG).

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Chinese manufacturers can certainly make great hybrids for 1/4 the price of those greedy Bu(ll)shido companies and will sell them like hot cakes even if for the MIDI functionality.

And thanks 😉

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You’re welcome, CG.

And a small clarification: perhaps I got ahead of myself because obviously they’ve ‘built’ a digital engine, speakers, etc, but I guess what I meant to say was a ‘more-advanced’ sound engine with some modeling and slightly better speakers as with the AvantGrand and Novus. Of course, this is debatable, but the general perception is that the ‘hybrids’ use the best tech even if not the newest. This is the general perception, but I’m not so sure to what extent it holds; I’m still on the fence, but you get my point: the hybrids -whether true or not- are perceived as the current holy grail.

Can they build something that can compete with current hybrids? I say yes.

Pete14 #3154458 09/08/21 09:53 AM
It's not about making such a piano. It's about marketing it and distributing it.

With all the shops fully bought in on Kawai and/or Yamaha and/or Roland and/or Casio, why would a retailer want to take on yet another brand?

The KYRC brands are everywhere, but how many Nords or Korgs do you see? Not many. Even fewer Alphas. I've never seen one.

It's hard to break into an established market.
Originally Posted by Pete14

It seems like their main drawback is that their acoustic pianos aren’t good, so why not ditch all of that and start building hybrids; which are way cheaper to manufacture, and need neither pedigree nor hand-made snobbery.

Is it that difficult to build/design or outsource a digital sound-engine and some speakers? I don’t think so. Look at what CG did with almost no resources (congrats on that, CG).

So, Pearl River, are you up to the task?

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You are correct, Mac. It is almost impossible to break in; and though this is beyond my grasp, I wonder if this is not the very definition of a monopoly.

It seems that it’s not so much the dealers but more so the big guns you mentioned that impede -sometimes- by threatening dealers if they dare even mention a new-comer. I’ve heard of such threats having to do with everything from price increases to outright sabotage. They have the market cornered -KYRC- and no one seems to notice or even care.

Once again, this is beyond my pay-grade, but from a layman’s perspective I smell a rat (KYRC), and short of Pearl River being the manufacturer, the distributor, and the dealer, I agree with you, it’s close to impossible.

So it seems like CG and I will never see a Pearl River hybrid so long as the KYRC mafia persists. I say we take care of KYRC and make it look like an accident!

L
L
I am not surprised to see Pearl River digital pianos, and in fact predicted it in a private conversation with a respected poster on this forum a couple of years ago.

Pearl River is the largest manufacturer of acoustic pianos in the world, under their own name, various brands of their own (such as Ritmuller), and for other brands. They hired a well-known German piano designer and a top-notch German production manager to upgrade their line several years ago. As a result, their acoustic pianos are pretty good, certainly competitive with Kawai and Yamaha entry-level pianos. I came very close to buying a new Ritmuller grand before a lightly-used Kawai grand fell into my lap at an unbelievable price.

Piano retailers that carry both acoustics and digitals may already have Pearl River acoustic grands (under their own or other brand names) and adding a digital piano or two may not be a great inconvenience. The largest piano dealer in my city would certainly fall into this category.

The big digital piano manufacturers are too smart to ignore this threat, so perhaps we can hope for more price competition once COVID-related production and shipping issues are resolved.
Regards,
Lotus

Last edited by Lotus1; 09/08/21 10:29 AM.
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
With all the shops fully bought in on Kawai and/or Yamaha and/or Roland and/or Casio, why would a retailer want to take on yet another brand?

The KYRC brands are everywhere, but how many Nords or Korgs do you see? Not many. Even fewer Alphas. I've never seen one.

It's hard to break into an established market.[quote=Pete14]All kidding aside, I’ve wondered why some of these ‘lesser-known’ piano makers have not yet seized on the opportunity of overtaking the ‘hybrid’ market.

Probably even harder in an industry driven largely by dealers and in-person showrooms.

I remember when Dexibell launched, they have extremely generous incentives for dealers to push their products (someone said their shop made something like 2-3x more for each Dexibell?). Some manufacturers try to box out competitors with "exclusivity" provisions in their dealer contracts. I recall Williams or some other maker had some kind of "house brand" exclusive arrangement with Guitar Center?

It probably helps new manufacturers when sales shift to digital, such as Thomann. Here, your showroom floor space is "unlimited".

I also imagine that Pearl River entering the digital market makes a lot of sense. Outside of the West, their brand is probably quite high tier and lends cachet to a sea of no-name keyboard products.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
TheodorN #3154483 09/08/21 10:32 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Looks great, might be worth a visit to Copenhagen for me to try it out. Which has been a bit more complicated due to the pandemic.

The info on their website doesn't add up, in the description they say the polyphony is 512, but in the specifications, it's 256. Which is right?

That makes 256 in each hand.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
Tenor1 #3154498 09/08/21 11:03 AM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tenor1
Originally Posted by TheodorN

That makes 256 in each hand.

Maybe it is 128 for the left hand and 384 for the right😆

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #3154504 09/08/21 11:15 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
[quote=Tenor1]That makes 256 in each hand.
Or 128. cool
Originally Posted by Tenor1
Maybe it is 128 for the left hand and 384 for the right😆
That makes more sense, then the number in the Description is average polyphony per hand, and the Specifications specifies (no pun intended) the total polyphony, the sum of the polyphonies for both hands. cool

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Gombessa #3154520 09/08/21 11:45 AM
I think this might make sense ...
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I also imagine that Pearl River entering the digital market makes a lot of sense. Outside of the West, their brand is probably quite high tier and lends cachet to a sea of no-name keyboard products.
... but there's a problem. I think it's more likely that people come to piano shops for acoustic pianos, not for digitals.
And, while some of those shops carry digital pianos, some carry none at all. Instead, the big players in digital pianos are music stores.

I think people tend to look for digital pianos at the latter. It would be challenging for Pearl River to break into that retail channel.

To make things more difficult for them ... A few years ago Yamaha and Kawai began allowing their higher tier models to sell at music stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash, rather than only at the high-tier piano stores. And those are probably the pianos with which Pearl would be competing.

So Yamaha and Kawai now have a grip on both the piano stores and the music stores. It's a tough game for a newcomer.

HZPiano #3154551 09/08/21 02:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

"Fatar 88 Grand-Response". Is that a true acoustic (adapted) action that allows this piano to be labeled 'hybrid'? (Probably not?)

Here is a Pearl River site featuring three digital piano models, each of which uses that action:

https://pearlriverpiano.co.uk/digital-piano

One features an upright-style cabinet with a large(!) soundboard.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

Fatar is digital action, not acoustic/hybrid.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
but there's a problem. I think it's more likely that people come to piano shops for acoustic pianos, not for digitals.
And, while some of those shops carry digital pianos, some carry none at all. Instead, the big players in digital pianos are music stores.

I think people tend to look for digital pianos at the latter. It would be challenging for Pearl River to break into that retail channel.
I think that the piano market in China is larger than the markets of US, Canada, and Europe combined.

Lots of products there:

https://m.alibaba.com/showroom/chinese-digital-piano.html

Last edited by Sweelinck; 09/08/21 02:12 PM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting to note is that a Yamaha P-515 is $500-550 on Alibaba.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I think that the piano market in China is larger than the markets of US, Canada, and Europe combined.

Yep, I don't have the hard numbers, but I think this is likely true. For all the shops (brick/mortar and online) carrying Pearl River acoustics--which is the biggest piano manufacturer in the world--to also carry Pearl River digitals, sounds like a no-brainer to me.

What is REALLY odd is how they're going to Fatar action. I get that Fatar offers white-labeled actions to numerous manufacturers, but it's always been a wonder to me that a boutique Italian action maker (of which many die-hard DP enthusiasts don't really think all that highly of) can be such a supplier to a large Chinese brand, which has all of the design/manufacturing capability and scale in the world. What does Fatar offer to Pearl River that a Medeli or in-house action cannot?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
PR has been displaying prototype digital pianos at the NAMM show for years now, and I was sort of wondering when they were going to come to market.

I suspect they will do a good job, as they seem well-funded and are the world's highest unit-volume acoustic piano maker at this point.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission