2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (adamcz, Alan F, 36251, Bruce In Philly, 15 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Carey
Reincarnation?
I don't know what it is, but it's terrifying!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Suzuki assumed every child has the "talent" to be musical. Many people including myself have an interest in music. We play as a hobby but not on the path of becoming a professional musician.

If basic piano playing is a skill like reading, writing & arithmetic, the majority would be able to sit down in front of a piano and learn to play a tune. There are a lot of young prodigies who excel at a young age. Once went to a concert featuring the Canadian pianist Ryan Wang from Vancouver. At age 9 he played the entire concert (40m) from memory. I tried piano at age 5 unsuccessfully. The first & last song I played was "Twinkle". After 3 decades I finally had the confidence to get back to playing again.

Besides skill & talent, there is personal interest / inclination. There are people who are highly intelligent and are able to learn just about anything easily. If they're not interested in music, don't expect them to pick up an instrument. A few people in my family circle took lessons. Some passed conservatory levels but hated piano. At the moment only 2 in the family including myself still play regularly.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Suzuki assumed every child has the "talent" to be musical. Many people including myself have an interest in music. We play as a hobby but not on the path of becoming a professional musician.
A worldwide club with a rather large membership.
If basic piano playing is a skill like reading, writing & arithmetic, the majority would be able to sit down in front of a piano and learn to play a tune.
Back when I taught, I helped college/university music majors meet their basic piano proficiency graduation requirements. For some it wasn't difficult - for others it was an ordeal - much like my own futile efforts to learn the clarinet as an undergrad.
Besides skill & talent, there is personal interest / inclination. There are people who are highly intelligent and are able to learn just about anything easily. If they're not interested in music, don't expect them to pick up an instrument.
So true.
A few people in my family circle took lessons. Some passed conservatory levels but hated piano.
That's a lot of time and effort to spend on something you hate.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
No one can say for certain, but it probably involves quite a bit of talent imo. Just as a random example, I'm looking at someone like Tiffany Poon, who played Liszt Grand Galop Chromatique at 12, but still took a dozen years afterwards + really good social media game to reliably get concerts. It must have took spades of both talent and effort.

Doing something competently is different from being amazing at it though, so I'm sure most people can achieve some level of proficiency. I think over 50 percent of people would be able to play Fur Elise given enough time, starting at any age. But for anything beyond that, it's hard to say.

Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Watch this and see if it changes your mind
Reincarnation?
Pretty good but he's been playing for three years.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Suzuki assumed every child has the "talent" to be musical.
If that's the way they phrased it, it is so vague as to be meaningless.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's a lot of time and effort to spend on something you hate.

When we're young, many parents got their kids enrolled in a music program or with private teachers. Not many kids knew what they're getting into. The parents probably got them to continue with the lessons until a certain level before quitting.

The ones with an interest in music would play a tune on a piano at a social gathering or in public. Others would hesitate when asked if they have taken lessons and say they're not good at it to save the embarrassment of being asked to play something.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Reincarnation?
Pretty good but he's been playing for three years.
ha

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
How about this one? It's kind of obvious that talent is a thing, let's be real.

T
T
My daughter in HS is learning this Chopin piece. I feel she is both talented and gifted but she simply hates Jonah. She always say's "it's not fair" when she comes across one of his videos. lol

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tivory
My daughter in HS is learning this Chopin piece. I feel she is both talented and gifted but she simply hates Jonah. She always say's "it's not fair" when she comes across one of his videos. lol

I view watching the piano video of any cute little kid to be the definition of masochism. I don’t do it unless I feel some deep need to beat myself up

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Tivory
That's hilarious!

Originally Posted by ranjit
How about this one? It's kind of obvious that talent is a thing, let's be real.

And here he is at 10 years old.

Eat your hearts out folks.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Z
Z
play well is a skill, play music is a talent.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Mozart k332 using music sheet and contains imperfections
Z
Z
This boy plays well, but he is doing something which doesn't match what he should do at his age.
Learn a new piece for the first time is an unique opportunity, learn it too early without the feeling and the right hand size will make it a lifelong style.
The same thing is for another boy. This is a destruction of talent in my opinion.

1970s' Petrof 125
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by zonzi
This boy plays well, but he is doing something which doesn't match what he should do at his age.
Learn a new piece for the first time is an unique opportunity, learn it too early without the feeling and the right hand size will make it a lifelong style.
The same thing is for another boy. This is a destruction of talent in my opinion.

I remember at one time I played Liebestraum no. 3 for my teacher and he simply said "You're too young of this." (In restrospect, probably he didn't want to have to explain passionate love to a kid laugh ).
On the flip side though, I happen to think that Mozart's music is so pure, it would be effortless for children to play it by virtue of their 'unadulterated' mind.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cygnusdei; 09/08/21 06:12 AM.
Part of the reason there is so little agreement on this thread is that people have very different ideas about the meaning of the words "skill" and "talent". The other problem is the way the OP phrased the question which implies piano playing is either a skill OR a talent.

I think piano playing is a skill that requires talent to reach a high level and/or to progress quickly.

Z
Z
I remember at one time I played Liebestraum no. 3 for my teacher and he simply said "You're too young of this." (In restrospect, probably he didn't want to have to explain passionate love to a kid laugh ).
On the flip side though, I happen to think that Mozart's music is so pure, it would be effortless for children to play it by virtue of their 'unadulterated' mind.

[Linked Image]
nice picture!
sometimes explain something without the mental maturity or experiences is useless. Even worse, the boy/girl can have this wrong impression for very long time and that is difficult to correct.
Mozart's music is amazing, everyone can play it. The back draw is that the pianist is not able to show his skills to everyone.

1970s' Petrof 125
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I was more shocked by this one.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In my younger days, having the talent for music mattered more. My mother would get my siblings to try an instrument including guitar, piano, violin for a while and decide if we should continue. Music was treated as an academic exercise. We'd try to play the teacher's assigned repertoire to the best of our abilities. The people in my family decided early that we were not good at music and quit.

As an adult learner today I wouldn't compare myself to a young prodigy. My reason for playing at least an hour a day, 365 days a year is for mental health. Being locked up during the pandemic and facing a midlife crisis, music means a lot. The idea of having talent ended at about age 10. Those who play music at an advanced level at a young age have the choice of becoming professional musicians. People like myself play as a hobby.

I can play a few songs at an intermediate level at a gathering. At my age, I am considered someone with many years of experience than being talented. There is a lot of hard work in the equation but at the same time being able to play some of my favorite pieces also brings a sense of personal satisfaction.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,225
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission