2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (dhts, Damien PG, Bill McKaig,RPT, clothearednincompo, Animisha, cygnusdei, CyberGene, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,358 guests, and 508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Since it is still in the early stage, it seems okay to say this journey might be fun and probably educational for me, but i suspect there will also be one or more “coincidences” .... rabbit holes or perhaps just plain virtual horseplay and or intrigues to traverse or endure along the way. To wit:

Before putting EP7 on craigslist last week, i had virtually surveyed what is or may already out there being offered as actual, on -hand MP7s for sale, and while i have found what looks to be such via one or two sellers/dealers/anonymous entities using places at ebay and etsyReverb, it humors me to find so many page-1 results with familiar names of entities selling online stuff new or used, except most of these sites give just a little, if any, lip service to my search string by way of “unavailable” .... “currently out of stock” ..... “discontinued” and the like, which any person with intelligence & discernment of a teen or older should already be aware ...... and of course my ad appears mid way down page 2 😐, just 3 clicks below the reverb hit.

Be this as it may, i noticed that the latter hit had been advertising a couch-bound used mp7 $1200 for 2 weeks or so, which is very close to what a new PW poster in dilemma recently said they found out there somewhere ....and within 2 days of my entry on cl , reverb has lowered their asking price $400 to now be just under mine ..... virtual coincidence no doubt .... and no doubt i may have more post cards to send from this edge..... i never knew how much educational “fun” this was going to be ....

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drewr
Since it is still in the early stage, it seems okay to say this journey might be fun and probably educational for me, but i suspect there will also be one or more “coincidences” .... rabbit holes or perhaps just plain virtual horseplay and or intrigues to traverse or endure along the way. To wit:

Before putting EP7 on craigslist last week, i had virtually surveyed what is or may already out there being offered as actual, on -hand MP7s for sale, and while i have found what looks to be such via one or two sellers/dealers/anonymous entities using places at ebay and etsyReverb, it humors me to find so many page-1 results with familiar names of entities selling online stuff new or used, except most of these sites give just a little, if any, lip service to my search string by way of “unavailable” .... “currently out of stock” ..... “discontinued” and the like, which any person with intelligence & discernment of a teen or older should already be aware ...... and of course my ad appears mid way down page 2 😐, just 3 clicks below the reverb hit.

Be this as it may, i noticed that the latter hit had been advertising a couch-bound used mp7 $1200 for 2 weeks or so, which is very close to what a new PW poster in dilemma recently said they found out there somewhere ....and within 2 days of my entry on cl , reverb has lowered their asking price $400 to now be just under mine ..... virtual coincidence no doubt .... and no doubt i may have more post cards to send from this edge..... i never knew how much educational “fun” this was going to be ....

Hi Drew,

I sold my MP7 to finance a used purchase of my MP7SE.

What I did was to use eBay's advanced search options to filter for only sold listing. This gave me an idea of genuine value over time, cross referenced against the condition of the instruments.

If you sell via eBay, you will have sellers fees and potentially PayPal fees.

I decided to put ads on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and Gumtree..

My strategy was to start my price OTT high, and lower the price every two weeks till I started getting enquiries. I knew that I was being a bit cheeky, but wanted to prime the minds of those interested with a high figure, to prevent too much dilution to below market value.

I had an absolute lowest price in mind of £700. I wanted interested parties who were prepared to go that high, so another reason I put the initial price high and lower it in chunks to limit silly offers.

When I found interest at £780, I had some genuine interest, as well as some scams on Craigslist.

All I will say is: do not accept checks, and if someone is too easily saying yes without trying to knock you down a bit, be suspicious.

Finally I got a sound guy expressing serious interest. We got talking about the details of the instrument. He decided to buy it, and he asked what was the best I could do on price. Because I had started fairly high, I could drop the price down to £700, which was about market value at the time.

He paid for it in cash. I was also prepared to transact using direct bank transfer, or friends and family PayPal. When you are selling something nearly £1,000, you don't want to be spending £100's on selling fees if you can help it.

Also, you want the individual to try the instrument before buying, so that they can't say they didn't know what they were buying. Facebook marketplace is good for that because it's fairly cheap and you can add the FB marketplace advert to various groups on Facebook where interest and word of mouth might help you to get buyers interest.

Don't forget to change prices on all ads simultaneously, and don't be afraid to wait several weeks, even 6 weeks to get the right price and genuine buyer. There are limits to the length these ads can remain posted. You'll need to renew ads or create new ones if ads expire.

With regards to pictures, use an official pic from Kawai for the first photo, and use the other photo slots to take high quality pictures of your instrument. Be honest about any defects both in text and in the images. Make sure you take photos of the back ports and close ups of the sections of the user interface.

In the advert, add a list of everything included in the sale.

Mention how many owners the instrument has had, how old the instrument is, and how you have kept the instrument. If you have kept it in a smoke and pet free home, mention that. If you know previous owners have also kept it similarly, say so. You should also mention whether or not the instrument has been gigged with.

The intention here is to be completely honest. This honesty will help buyers to trust you. When you talk on the phone or in person, when you come across as completely open and honest, they will feel more inclined to buy, even if you have gigged it regularly.

Obviously, a young unblemished unit can fetch top dollar, whereas a gigged instrument with some external signs of wear will probably go for less. So be prepared to state that you have set the price accordingly if you have some cosmetic defects.

The market value might be far higher now due to circumstances. You might want to set up an outdoor demo session or make sure that the house is well ventilated for the test drive. Try and either borrow decent monitors or hi-fi to allow the buyer to hear it with out headphones. Also, this helps to show that the line outs work.

Mention things like the firmware and calibration of the damper and expression pedals, as you can avoid phone calls later about why half pedalling etc isn't working.

Try setting up a demo of sound layering, splitting, registrations (use of foots switch to change registration. Show the sound editing, the converting of parts from int to ext and vice versa. Make sure you show off the best patches and the metronome and Rhythms.

Hope this helps you!

Kind regards,

Doug.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/05/21 05:33 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't have your patience. if I've had a piano 2 or 3 years, I reckon to be happy to get half price (buy it now) since there'd be no g'tee. I got rid of my P515 in 2 days easily enough to a charming older lady just learning, and loving to play piano.
She collected same day, COVID or no COVID 19, 20 or whatever we have now.
Life goes on.
And I had change from my new purchase - with a 5 y g'tee.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you very much Doug! This helps immensely.

Many of the points you made are ones I’ve already used in the CL advert .....one exception that stands out to me, i did not survey enough on what this used item is going for right now .... i may have started too low on asking price; i had not considered your OTT high approach but the number i started with is now out there. I do know that both new and used DP inventory is hard to find right now, even for one such as mine.

I’m still tweaking photos, i did not expect to have problems - especially lighting - using an ipad to capture clear, detailed images but on top of this of course, CL’s image / compression algorithm further reduces details. Overall, the photos i put up are good, showing the entire rig from the necessary distance - depicting JBL monitors, the keyboard powered on sitting on a stand, pedal and Kawai-branded wheeled travel case, plus closeups of the mid section and each cheek block .... i did not (yet) photo the rear panel.

Your “be honest” advice really resonates with me, but, in this virtual world, its easy for honest & dishonest people alike to describe their used item “ seldom used, 5 year old MP7 in very good condition”. This is the top reason my ad says that i encourage interested people to come, see & try this DP .... i’d like to sell it at fair value almost as much as i want somebody to come and see first hand that my ad speaks the truth 🙂

- Roland HP-508
drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I have patience ..... for certain things ...... as a boy i was the person my dearly departed aunt would rely on to the point that it became a yearly ritual for her to hand me the large ball of tangled Christmas lights, to untangle, of course, and she picked me from 4 siblings and several others of her nieces and nephews, because, she said “ you have the patience of Job” 🙂

Sometimes i have patience to a fault, what some may call procrastination. I should have sold this DP about 5 years ago after my life started turning upside down ..... which started less than three months after i bought it new in box..... but given the world turning upside down starting March a year ago, my procrastination might pay off a bit ..... time and the fullness therein, will tell, Peter..... maybe there is a little old lady from Pasadena with a hankering to buy and drive my dp ......

Last edited by drewr; 09/05/21 06:25 PM.

- Roland HP-508
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you very much Doug! This helps immensely.

Many of the points you made are ones I’ve already used in the CL advert .....one exception that stands out to me, i did not survey enough on what this used item is going for right now .... i may have started too low on asking price; i had not considered your OTT high approach but the number i started with is now out there. I do know that both new and used DP inventory is hard to find right now, even for one such as mine.

I’m still tweaking photos, i did not expect to have problems - especially lighting - using an ipad to capture clear, detailed images but on top of this of course, CL’s image / compression algorithm further reduces details. Overall, the photos i put up are good, showing the entire rig from the necessary distance - depicting JBL monitors, the keyboard powered on sitting on a stand, pedal and Kawai-branded wheeled travel case, plus closeups of the mid section and each cheek block .... i did not (yet) photo the rear panel.

Your “be honest” advice really resonates with me, but, in this virtual world, its easy for honest & dishonest people alike to describe their used item “ seldom used, 5 year old MP7 in very good condition”. This is the top reason my ad says that i encourage interested people to come, see & try this DP .... i’d like to sell it at fair value almost as much as i want somebody to come and see first hand that my ad speaks the truth 🙂

It is easy to write anything. I think details are always better than generalisation. I know when I brought my MP7 originally as Ebay recorded the transaction,. I recall the circumstances of the person I brought it from and why he was selling it. I could talk about that. As I had asked quite a few questions when I was buying the MP7, those answers gave me a more detailed response to my buyer's questions.

When they have read what you've written and later chat with you, they might ask you further about what you wrote! So then, anything made up is gonna sound less honest. Just like in job interviews, a true story with details goes down better than brief factual accounts, as stories bring out real emotions and recollections which show in how you sound and in your facial expressions, body language etc.

That's what I think helps people to feel like they can trust you. Of course, they should test the instrument carefully and methodically. If they miss anything useful to know during their test, I would demo these functions for them etc, as you never know, they might like some of the stuff they didn't even know that the MP7 could do.

Kind regards 🙂

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/05/21 06:44 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sold countless dp's on ebay, its the best platform to sell by miles. You can try to get round ebay fees by putting contact details in photos or in description, easy enough.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So you not only break your agreement with Ebay, but you counsel others to do likewise?

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
drewr: You may find this useful or not, but my process is very different from that of Doug M.

I've sold at least six dp's over the last few years on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area. I've determined a realistic selling price (research, compared to new, psychology, whatever) and in EVERY case the piano sold within a few days at the price posted in the ad. (As I recall, only one buyer asked if the price was firm.) I think in every case I gave myself a little leeway to accept less if no one showed interest, but never had to.

You'll have to take my word for it that these instruments were NOT underpriced - but perhaps most importantly they weren't OVER priced! (I see a LOT of dp's on CL that are overpriced - especially when compared to buying a new one at the 15-20% off price it's easy to get at Guitar Center, etc.)

The best process for you is determined by your local market and your own preferences/psychology. But I thought another slant might be of some use. Best of luck!

drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you PWL.

I am curious to know if you’ve had opportunity to sell on CL since the virus took over the world.... for the time being this remains a game changer for anyone big or small wanting to sell finished goods big or small new or used ...... my sister placed an order at a local appliance shop for a deep freezer mid-march 2020, based on my advice at that time that there appears to only be one remaining American manufacturer of compressors used for refrigeration ...... and she’s still awaiting delivery.

I’ve been contemplating selling since before March 20’ and was prepared to sell at what i consider a very low amount for two reasons. 1) it seems that in America compared to Europe, there is more of a disposable economy mindset such that used items - even well-cared for items - are not as valued .... just buy something new cheap made in a labor camp overseas and discard the old because who on earth in this day goes to the trouble of selling used stuff for a pittance? ..... it will require a genuinely interested buyer to invest enough time to realize the condition of my used item; 2) ive seen people here remark that used DPs of this age will likely sell for no more than %20 of its original cost .... some go by msrp as starting cost while others rightfully disregard msrp and go by what the known prevailing “ discounted price “ was at the time of purchase.

I mentioned the same model on reverb that was there for 2 weeks prior to my CL posting and suddenly it is reduced to a little below my asking price ..... but its photos show a board with scratches and gouges on the cheek blocks and the view from the top shows the board teetering on the end of a couch .... aside from the literal view this paints a picture of that seller’s casual approach .... i suspect its possible my entry into this ring may have somewhat disturbed their posture 😐

Lastly, my local area is a rural small town, technically suburban to the nearest one-horse town “city” known as Altoona about 15 miles to the north and 100 miles east of the actual, relatively small city Peetsa Borga that has many horses .... my small town shares one horse with two other nearby small towns 😉 .....but you are in a big metro city wherein lies the streets of San Francisco , the Bay Bridge and alla that 🙂

Thank you.

- Roland HP-508
Lemme guess. You live in Claysburg.

drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Lemme guess. You live in Claysburg.

Close ....... but no ceegar 🙂

PS: hint - Claysburg is one of the aforementioned horses-sharing towns .

Last edited by drewr; 09/06/21 10:28 AM.

- Roland HP-508
I've never been in that part of Pennsylvania, so I'm going on what I can deduce from the googly map.

Second guesses: Martinsburg? Roaring Spring? Woodbury?

And a follow-up: Whichever town you're in ... what brought you there?

And yet another follow-up: From my profile, can you guess where I'm at? smile

drewr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've never been in that part of Pennsylvania, so I'm going on what I can deduce from the googly map.

Second guesses: Martinsburg? Roaring Spring? Woodbury?

And a follow-up: Whichever town you're in ... what brought you there?

And yet another follow-up: From my profile, can you guess where I'm at? smile

.... you get the 3rd from top-shelf prize ..... top shelf is/was a 1 dollar cigar ..... 3rd is what passed as a nickel SwisherSweet circa 1959 🙃 .... yes, i remember a bit of your bio from when i first joined PW ..... when you were a Carolina halfback endeavoring to become a Cranberry fullback 🏉 ..... despite how history tends to be mis-recorded, pro ball began in SWPA no matter what the folks in Ohio claim🤪

I was born here, by the age of 19 i wished and could not wait to get outta this here small town and thus began my adult life, first stop/1st tour of Pittsburgh ... a great time for a 19 year old jock to be enjoying Gerela’s Guerrillas take 3 and Pops Wilber’s WeAreFamily .... then 82’-87’ Cincinnati/Dayton ......... by 91’ was outa FLA and back home to small town then soon back to ‘burg tour 3 .... by age
40 i was ready to come home but could not find the right way ..... living proof example of why be careful of what you wish for 😕 but by end of tour 4 2015’ i came back home .... to grow older and some day die of course 🙂

- Roland HP-508
You win the cigar. smile

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
So you not only break your agreement with Ebay, but you counsel others to do likewise?

Yes, the fees they charge are disgusting, pure greed.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you PWL.
I am curious to know if you’ve had opportunity to sell on CL since the virus took over the world.... for the time being this remains a game changer for anyone big or small wanting to sell finished goods big or small new or used ......
Yes, I recently sold a Roland FP30 I bought in December as a stopgap til my Kawai ES920 arrived. Which worked out just fine since the ES920, also ordered in December, didn't arrive until June.

And you're certainly correct in pointing out that I have a much larger market in which to find a buyer!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,250
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission