2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (ando, anotherscott, brdwyguy, Alex C, An Old Square, 8ude, 18 invisible), 734 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
All EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos are 60% off until September 13.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Do anyone own these pianos?

Are they any good.

In terms of playability etc.
Sound?

Thanks in advance for any info

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright located at MTA PHARMACY:
“Play me I’m Yours”public piano at my store smile
https://www.facebook.com/MTAPHARMACY
C
C
Originally Posted by Mta88
Do anyone own these pianos?

Are they any good.

In terms of playability etc.
Sound?

Thanks in advance for any info

I have the EWQL pianos Platinum Edition (24bit samples with Close, Player & Room mics). To my ears, in certain contexts, they still sit with the very best sampled pianos in terms of realistic tone & depth of sound. They are very thick, warm & resonant, and were captured in the East West Studios & Scoring Stage so there's some natural "air" in the samples which help give them depth & realism. Playability and consistency is considerably behind the likes of VSL, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Production Voices, VI Labs etc, but still quite good if you're prepared to do some MIDI tweaking afterwards.

One big advantage is they have separate sustain pedal samples, repetition samples, as well as true Una Corda samples which many sampled pianos lack. Also, the 4 pianos in the collection are distinctly different in character. A word of caution: the newly released OPUS engine has several issues with the EWQL Pianos (I have a Support Ticket in progress) so I'm still using the PLAY 6 engine, which is very stable and efficient on my Mac (OS Catalina).

Last edited by Craig Richards; 09/03/21 09:09 PM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
A
A
I have all 4, Platinum edition. I do not use them because repedalling is not supported. If this is not important for you, it's a nice product.

N
N
Shame, to me repadaling is even more important than half pedaling.

A
A
Half pedaling is not supported too.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is this the same old EWQL that I read about here on PW some ten (or more?) years ago?
Or do they have a new, improved version? If not then it's no wonder that it's on sale.
Old virtual instruments age just like any other old software.

C
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Is this the same old EWQL that I read about here on PW some ten (or more?) years ago?
Or do they have a new, improved version? If not then it's no wonder that it's on sale.
Old virtual instruments age just like any other old software.

Yep, same pianos, although the PLAY engine has had many upgrades & refinements since then, and I noticed an improvement from PLAY 5 to 6 in terms of playability and consistency. Forget about using the pianos in the new OPUS engine for the time being - it's very much a work in progress with regards to the pianos in my opinion.

I consider the EWQL pianos as "production" pianos. I'd struggle to use them exposed, and as a solo playing experience I'd look elsewhere, but they have a lush, full bodied tone which tends to hold together better in a mix than many others. Horses for Courses.

Last edited by Craig Richards; 09/05/21 04:13 AM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Craig Richards, That is a super practical, to-the-point and thus useful summary, thanks a lot for that!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

M
M
I think EW software is rather frequently on sale...

U1. VPC-1. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melving
I think EW software is rather frequently on sale...

I concur; it seems they take it off sale a few months of the year. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
EW tries hard to switch their customers to subscription model. First big VI vendor trying to do this.
There were rumors of NI going this way couple years ago, but they hold off for now.

Last edited by VladK; 09/06/21 11:06 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
East West was a big topic of discussion in the late 2000s ... before I bought my first virtual instrument.

Not long afterwards they faded into obscurity ... judging from the dearth of mentions here on PW.
It was all about Ivory, and then Galaxy, and lots of others.

After reading, above, that EW is still selling their 10+ year old pianos ... I'm not impressed.

VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
EW does not focus on pianos. While they may release some new piano VI (and I'd love to try it), their main competitor is NI, and they are busy creating new sound libraries elsewhere and switching to OPUS.

Vlad,
Adult beginner
F
F
Yeah their focus is on the renewed Hollywood orchestra with the Opus engine and the Hollywood Orchestrator. Very, very good, I must say, absolutely exquisite if you’re looking for that lush Hollywood sound. Love those new Hollywood Backup Singers as well. Here’s hoping they’ll revisit the pianos too.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
After reading, above, that EW is still selling their 10+ year old pianos ... I'm not impressed.

I'll get more East West piano's when they send me $450 to rent my SSD space. Biggest waste of $450 in my lifetime.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Macy
I'll get more East West piano's when they send me $450 to rent my SSD space. Biggest waste of $450 in my lifetime.
grin

Wasn't sure if I should insert a laughing smiley, because I'm very sorry for your loss, but your words sum it up.

Why should we get those 200GB behemoths at hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros, when a 5GB library does the same thing? If the bigger ones are better, they are only marginally better.

Good example about a small piano VST but extremely efficient as to quality/size, is the VI Labs Modern U (don't own it myself, just going by what others say, and online demos).

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
I think the bigger ones can be better.
But it's not the size of the library that's in question. It's the price.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes the price, but also the quality/price ratio. The VSL libraries cost maybe five times [*] as much as the VI Labs Modern U or some other quality small libraries, but are they five times as good, as the small ones?

[*]Temporary offers may affect this ratio, make it smaller or bigger, but not so much if both the big piano VSTs and the small ones have temporary discounts.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Macy

If I was unclear - The EWQL pianos were the first I ever bought before I knew better, and in my opinion, they are terrible. Never used them.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission