2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bob17821, Azalingchan, AJB, accordeur, BMKE, Animisha, beeboss, 17 invisible), 1,015 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Yes. I saw post on this forum about the bridge problems on this model. But I was thinking it is just a QC problem and not everyone will develop that problem. So, I it’s the first thing I went to check when I was inspecting the piano. But, unfortunately…

Originally Posted by BDB
It sounds like you were doubtful about this piano before asking about the bridge. This is nothing you want to get involved with. Another piano will come available. Just be patient.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yonion
The report provided by the seller does say there are plenty of crown. Does that imply the rim and soundboard’s connection is ok?

Imply? Yes. But the fact that you -- a non piano-technician -- noticed a show-stopping problem that the "pro" who prepared the report did not note, calls the credulity of the entire report into question. As others have suggested, you should have a piano inspected by someone who represents you, and only you, objectively and without bias. In other words, you cannot trust a single word of what that report says, or implicitly by what it doesn't say.

If you already owned this piano, then it would be worth some judicious attempts at repair, like the described epoxy repair which might be sufficient. Depending on how much the piano meant to you, it might be worth even more, like the proper repairs Del and others have described.

The notion that something is worth it's "full value" less the cost of a repair estimate (for known problems) is poor judgment. Frankly, it's the path that for many fools leads to the proverbial money pit. The value associated with improving quality belongs to the person who takes the risk. No one should buy something defective, assume the associated risk, and pay the seller for the privilege!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
I read a post by Del that explain this issue too.
Now the propensity is 100% for me.
http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...idge-crack-baldwin-sf10.html#Post2024167
Yes. I saw post on this forum about the bridge problems on this model. But I was thinking it is just a QC problem and not everyone will develop that problem. So, I it’s the first thing I went to check when I was inspecting the piano. But, unfortunately…

On a different note, re. the bridge design and problem, the post of Del’s that you linked to said this:

Originally Posted by Del
Most of the time this worked but sometimes it didn’t.

For your small sample size of 1 the occurrence may be 100%, but it’s not accurate to give the impression that it’s always 100%.

FWIW, bridge cracks occur on pianos of all brands. That’s why the how-to-inspect-a-piano guides mention them.

How to Upload Pictures

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There are just so many good Baldwin pianos out there in fact that this would be a good reason not to buy new, but in fact buy an older Baldwin piano.The thing is that they last and they age well.
Serious cracks often happen in many pianos.I remember reading here about a Masterclass Sauter 122 that had a serious crack.There was also a new Bechstein grand, at least I think it was a Bechstein that had a catastrophic problem.There was also a Petrof grand with bridge cracks.So yes this can happen in any brand.

Right I admit I do remember these sort of problems because I never thought they could happen until I started reading PW.Of course like most piano owners here that is why I take climate control measures.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Yonion

Wise to let it go for now. If as time passes it gets sold to some unsuspecting soul who doesn't care, then you have lost nothing. If, as time passes and the seller realizes that it is overpriced but really wants tovsell it, you may be in a serious negotiating position and possibly get it at a reasonable price. I agree that about $6k would be the absolute max.

Nonetheless you should hire your own tech that you know and trust (or that someone you know knows and trusts) to evaluate it for you and you alone. Preferably someone with excellent rebuilding experience and facilities.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 09/05/21 07:31 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
[quote=yonion]
The notion that something is worth it's "full value" less the cost of a repair estimate (for known problems) is poor judgment. Frankly, it's the path that for many fools leads to the proverbial money pit.
Indeed. And the seller shows his hand on this matter by the mere fact that he didn't have the necessary repairs done and sell the piano in fully functional condition with a fair price. The seller knows the potential money pit status of this piano.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I do not think you can assume that about the seller. Most people know very little about their pianos.

Semipro Tech
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not think you can assume that about the seller. Most people know very little about their pianos.
I wouldn't be super confident in this seller because they are providing a very positive report about the piano from a technician. I would contend that most pianists do know enough about their own piano to know that cracked bridgework is a bad thing and ought to be detailed on a technician's appraisal. Especially when they are selling the piano and providing detailed pictures of it in order to sell it. I don't buy it - I think they know this piano needs plenty of work and that it's going to be expensive.

Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you all for honest opinions! I am not sure I want to spend the time and energy to do the repair. And I have no idea what the piano would sound like after the rebuilt. So it seems a big risk even if the price is low.

I am not in a hurry to buy and I will pass on this one.

When Del said it works most of the time, I am not sure whether he meant it works for most of the lifetime of the piano or it works for most of the piano during their lifetime. Anyway, we don’t know how long their lifetime is.

Now I am left wondering why/how Baldwin decided to do this “vertical laminated without cap” design on their flagship models.

Last edited by yonion; 09/05/21 10:46 PM.
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by BDB
I wouldn't be super confident in this seller because they are providing a very positive report about the piano from a technician. I would contend that most pianists do know enough about their own piano to know that cracked bridgework is a bad thing and ought to be detailed on a technician's appraisal. Especially when they are selling the piano and providing detailed pictures of it in order to sell it. I don't buy it - I think they know this piano needs plenty of work and that it's going to be expensive.

I think it is possible that a private seller may not know much about their piano.

However, it has been my experience in the past, while shopping around for a nice, used piano, some unscrupulous dealers, techs, and resellers will advertise used pianos under the guise of being a private seller, when in fact, they are not a private seller at all; they buy and sell pianos in an effort to make a profit. And, that is not a dis toward good dealers, techs and resellers.

I'm just saying that some used piano sellers advertise the piano as a private sale, but they are actually in the business of selling used pianos. And, they do know about pianos.

Not to keep rambling on, because we don't know all the details, but I too find it very disturbing that the seller touted a very positive tech inspection report on the piano, when in fact it has a serious defect with cracks in the bridge.

If the OP is still interested in the piano, he could confront the seller about the cracks in the bridge and offer a lower price. Otherwise, I agree with Peter Grey here:
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Yonion

Wise to let it go for now. If as time passes it gets sold to some unsuspecting soul who doesn't care, then you have lost nothing. If, as time passes and the seller realizes that it is overpriced but really wants tovsell it, you may be in a serious negotiating position and possibly get it at a reasonable price. I agree that about $6k would be the absolute max.

Nonetheless you should hire your own tech that you know and trust (or that someone you know knows and trusts) to evaluate it for you and you alone. Preferably someone with excellent rebuilding experience and facilities.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

P.S. Sorry, yonion, I was typing this post when you posted your last post and I didn't see that you had already made a decision... but I did get to ramble on a bit, in my old age... smile

Wishing you all the best in your piano search, and I'm sure you learned something from this experience!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Now I am left wondering why/how Baldwin decided to do this “vertical laminated without cap” design on their flagship models.

Unless you own one of those that sometimes experiences the issue, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. thumb

How to Upload Pictures

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,844
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission