2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
Here is a rating list by Larry Fine. He rates the CF line as Distinguished. But other than name prestige he considers them as equal quality with the Iconic group.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/a-map-of-the-market-for-new-pianos-ratings/

As you see C3X and GX3 are in Consumer Grade section (mass produced pianos for a particular price point, as he describes it)
They cannot possibly be equal to the Iconic group because they are not iconic(in the true sense of the word) 😆

K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith
How does one ensure that the tech they hire is going to be impartial?

Hire a tech that is not employed by the dealer/seller

You can use PTG.org to find a tech in your area.

I feel priviledged to live in country where honesty is still valued. I would find it quite depressing to assume that dealer tech would try to sell me instrument instead of describing technical status of the particular instrument. How sad is that?

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by kre

I feel priviledged to live in country where honesty is still valued. I would find it quite depressing to assume that dealer tech would try to sell me instrument instead of describing technical status of the particular instrument. How sad is that?

when you value honesty and live in a country where honesty is valued, not everyone will have those same values of honesty. I view setting up a situation where you do not test the limits of someone else’s honesty as not being sad—- but being pragmatic. Otherwise, you will occasionally be put in the unnecessary position of being seriously disappointed.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kre

when you value honesty and live in a country where honesty is valued, not everyone will have those same values of honesty. I view setting up a situation where you do not test the limits of someone else’s honesty as not being sad—- but being pragmatic. Otherwise, you will occasionally be put in the unnecessary position of being seriously disappointed.

I feel it’s a mistake to equate honesty with objectivity. If a piano technician does the prep and tuning for a piano dealership, he/she’s evaluated the pianos and prepped them as they see fit. For used pianos sold by a dealer it is advisable to get a 2nd set of trained eyes and ears to inspect the used piano. The 2nd trained tech may see or hear something that the first tech missed. Nothing says you have to get a 2nd opinion but it does provide additional reassurance.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
OP Offline
W
Would you rather have a brand new out-of-the-box piano or a 2016 floor model you like that is 20% discounted? Both come with a 10-year warranty.
Are there any issues with floor models that would be of concern? Obviously, it's not brand new and has been played by many people. How many hours of usage it has, hard to tell. During the pandemic showrooms were closed so there is that and the seller claims it was opened in 2018.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by j&j
I feel it’s a mistake to equate honesty with objectivity. If a piano technician does the prep and tuning for a piano dealership, he/she’s evaluated the pianos and prepped them as they see fit. For used pianos sold by a dealer it is advisable to get a 2nd set of trained eyes and ears to inspect the used piano. The 2nd trained tech may see or hear something that the first tech missed. Nothing says you have to get a 2nd opinion but it does provide additional reassurance.
Yes, good point. Given that I have several choices from techs that are not employed by the seller, why not go with that option, which, if nothing else, increases the likelihood of impartiality?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Would you rather have a brand new out-of-the-box piano or a 2016 floor model you like that is 20% discounted? Both come with a 10-year warranty.
Are there any issues with floor models that would be of concern? Obviously, it's not brand new and has been played by many people. How many hours of usage it has, hard to tell. During the pandemic showrooms were closed so there is that and the seller claims it was opened in 2018.
The floor model would probably be the superior purchase, aside from the date itself making the instrument seem like it would have more "miles" on it. Having been on the floor, this piano would have received a lot of maintenance and tuning which will make it a very stable piano for a long time. New, out-of-the-box pianos take a while to settle down in your home - especially with regard to tuning, but also the way to hammers play in. I'd take a floor model at a discount, definitely. Plus you've actually heard the floor model - that's also preferable to getting a piano that is supposedly identical but possibly (probably?) isn't.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Floor model if well prepped and you like it. Unless you’re going to turn around and sell in 5 years.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by ando
The floor model would probably be the superior purchase, aside from the date itself making the instrument seem like it would have more "miles" on it. Having been on the floor, this piano would have received a lot of maintenance and tuning which will make it a very stable piano for a long time. New, out-of-the-box pianos take a while to settle down in your home - especially with regard to tuning, but also the way to hammers play in. I'd take a floor model at a discount, definitely. Plus you've actually heard the floor model - that's also preferable to getting a piano that is supposedly identical but possibly (probably?) isn't.
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Floor model if well prepped and you like it. Unless you’re going to turn around and sell in 5 years.
Thanks.

Well, the GX3 is out because of price, since we like it the same as the C3X, which costs less. I think I can get the seller lower asking price down to $35K Canadian (28K US) including tax, which is $7K cheaper than what the GX3 dealer's bottom line.

So that means, it's down to the CF6 for $52K or the C3X for $35K.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That would be a great deal on a C3X, if you can get it. If you like them pretty much the same, use or save the $17k difference.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

IMO, C3X is the way to go. The piano has 10 years warranty, you will be the first owners, and you save $17K.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Which piano would be more suitable for the room? The CF6 in the Yamaha London showroom impressed me as powerful instrument.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
OP Offline
W
That would be a great deal on a C3X, if you can get it. If you like them pretty much the same, use or save the $17k difference.

IMO, C3X is the way to go. The piano has 10 years warranty, you will be the first owners, and you save $17K.

That's what I'm leaning towards. My daughter liked them almost the same, I liked the CF6 more than she, especially the bass, which was its best feature.

Oh and entering the mix just today (the seller just received a few mid 80s Kawais from Japan) are a Kawai GS-50 and GS-30. We haven't tried them yet but I've heard good things about these older Kawai models and the price would be, likely, less than half of the C3X. Hopefully, we can play them this weekend and make a decision soon.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Withindale
Which piano would be more suitable for the room? The CF6 in the Yamaha London showroom impressed me as powerful instrument.

I think both will be suitable. I'll put it in the living room, which joins the dining room, for a total enclosed area of 35 feet by 13 feet and 8 feet ceiling.

According to one source online, the combined length of a room's walls (assuming that the room's ceiling is 8 feet high) should be at least 10 times the length of a grand. So the combined length of my room's walls are 35x2 + 13x2 = 96 so the 7-foot CF6 should have no issues fitting in.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Oh and entering the mix just today (the seller just received a few mid 80s Kawais from Japan) are a Kawai GS-50 and GS-30

IMO, this is not a good idea. Japanese pianos have come a long way quality wise since then. I would just discard the offer whatever the price is.

W
OP Offline
W
Oh and entering the mix just today (the seller just received a few mid 80s Kawais from Japan) are a Kawai GS-50 and GS-30

IMO, this is not a good idea. Japanese pianos have come a long way quality wise since then. I would just discard the offer whatever the price is.
I know what you mean, it feels like a step down from the newer models that I've been considering, especially, as you point out, given the advances made since the 1980s.
But I read that the GS were the Shigerus of that time, and were intended for professional pianists and were beautifully made.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I believe Kawai actions from that era were even more heavier than today's MIII actions. Around 65-70 grams maybe.

Your daughter is young and she will probably be playing many more years from now on. I would go with a new piano.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I believe Kawai actions from that era were even more heavier than today's MIII actions. Around 65-70 grams maybe.

Your daughter is young and she will probably be playing many more years from now on. I would go with a new piano.

She will not be playing many more years regularly at home but during vacations from college.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
But I read that the GS were the Shigerus of that time, and were intended for professional pianists and were beautifully made.

The GS series pianos that I’ve played in the last 10 years are no match for the many Shigeru Kawai pianos I’ve played. Don’t believe everything you read. They were supposed to be a step up and had different scale designs (if memory serves) from the KG series of a similar period. There were prototype models that were more similar to the Shigeru, like the RXA. I’ve never heard that label attached to the GS series.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

The GS series pianos that I’ve played in the last 10 years are no match for the many Shigeru Kawai pianos I’ve played. Don’t believe everything you read. They were supposed to be a step up and had different scale designs (if memory serves) from the KG series of a similar period. There were prototype models that were more similar to the Shigeru, like the RXA. I’ve never heard that label attached to the GS series.
Correct. The GS series is nothing more than the predecessor to the RX series. They are NOT Shigeru level pianos. Only the very hard to come by RXA model was on a higher tier comparable to the later Shigeru. GS pianos are getting on in years, and are not considered anything remarkable - although a well-maintained example can be perfectly serviceable.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission