2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (CraiginNZ, bumblebee, AlphaTerminus, Beansparrow, anotherscott, BrokenFingers, 17 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Csj24 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I know there are a lot of posts about sight reading, but I had one question. Is it still considered sight reading if you're familiar with the song/piece already?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, if it's the first time you've seen the score and you're playing from it. It will definitely help with rhythm and as well as getting the right notes if you're adept at playing by ear, which is why sight-reading tests use 'music' specially composed for them, not bits from existing classical pieces.

In practice, with complicated classical pieces, familiarity with the music won't help much unless you're just faking it (or if it's the start of Rach 3 wink ), but with pop etc, I'd be playing more by ear than by sight-reading from the lead sheets, if I already know the song.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
But for me this is not sight reading.

When i started sight reading in may, the first book was 64 favorite melodies for beginners. I knew most of the song.

Songs like When the saints go marching in or Aura lee or Silent night, i can almost play the right hand by ear and just read the left hand accompaniment. And they are mostly in C G F. That why I dropped the book.

Last edited by Serge88; 09/01/21 08:29 PM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For me depends on the difficulty of a piece. A lot of pieces already have online recordings posted. A difficult piece like the Debussy “Clair de Lune” or a Chopin Nocturne even after listening to it a few times you can’t reproduce the piece by ear or by reading without some some workout.

B
B
Memory blackouts do happen. If you know the song but are reading the music to avoid this it's sight-reading in that respect. I saw Barry Manilow(apologetically) do this once for a song while playing live in concert.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by B P 7
Memory blackouts do happen. If you know the song but are reading the music to avoid this it's sight-reading in that respect. I saw Barry Manilow(apologetically) do this once for a song while playing live in concert.

If, in your example, the music was ever learned/played with the score, if the pianist ever returns to using the score, it is called reading the music, not sight-reading the music.

Last edited by dogperson; 09/01/21 10:05 PM. Reason: Typo
C
Csj24 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you, Bennevis, that's very helpful. I realize that from listening to something most people can't reproduce all the notes, but I was curious about this because if you hear the melody, overall structure, and rhythms you're not completely figuring the music out on your own from what's written.

I have no problem with the notes or anything like that. I really don't play by ear and I'm used to reading music. But when I want to play something I usually try it out myself first and then listen to a recording before really attempting it, particularly for the rhythm. I'm not great with that for some reason. I'm not playing anything complicated enough that a recording would not be useful (playing through Easy Classics to Moderns).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Csj24
But when I want to play something I usually try it out myself first and then listen to a recording before really attempting it, particularly for the rhythm. I'm not great with that for some reason.

One thing you could do next time, is before listening to a recording, take a look at the notes and clap the rhythm with your hands. For instance, clap the right hand notes with your right hand on your knee, and LH with LH of course. If it is difficult to do both together, you can start with one hand at the time, and then both hands together. Then you listen to your recording to check if you did it correctly, or not. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key presses “bottoming out” on percussive playing
by HillsandValleys - 11/28/21 06:11 PM
CLP 725 vs used 575
by McIntosh233 - 11/28/21 05:45 PM
Piano parts for popular songs?
by Finfan - 11/28/21 02:16 PM
My Music Diary
by itsKAT - 11/28/21 12:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,297
Posts3,149,425
Members103,457
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission