2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
For whatever collection of reasons, Leonard Bernstein preferred Baldwin and Bösendorfer. Stranger things have happened.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ikkiyikki
I have some ancient and unjustified perception

Unjustified is correct. It's not ancient, because it was never true. thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
On another note, my trip to Portland was less fruitful than I hoped for. The used Fazioli listed on the Piano Portland Company's website turned out to be a year old so priced in the six figures. Over at Michelle's of all the ones on offer I did end up liking the AF 215 the most FWIW. Sticker price now was at 48k. Looking now more like a tossup between this or the Bechstein in Florida.

Originally Posted by Withindale
My advice would be go and play as many pianos as you can, then make a shortlist.

+1. It seems like you played some pianos in Portland that you liked a lot more than others. Keep playing them. Or take your cousin up on his offer and play the Baldwin until you have a more firm idea of your preferences for touch and tone, then if you stop loving the Baldwin, start looking again. This way, you are not out of pocket. And that Baldwin is very possibly a lovely instrument.

However, if you’re really determined to make a decision between the AF and the Bechstein, my opinion, for the very little it’s worth, is that if the AF is at all to your liking, it is a much safer option for you than the Bechstein. It is less expensive. You have played it and you like it. You don’t know that you will like the Bechstein. I suspect that no amount of voicing is going to make the Bechstein sound like a Steinway (or whatever your ideal piano is). Also, things can happen in transit, and that Bechstein is going to have to make a long trip to get to Seattle. There was a thread not too long ago about a piano that did not fare well after a trip across the country. In that particular case, the dealer ultimately took the piano back, but I don’t know that everyone would take a piano back under similar circumstances. For me, it gave me considerable peace of mind to know that I had bought a piano from a dealer I’d actually met and who had an excellent reputation. After spending a lot of money, it is very reassuring to feel that if some problem arises with the piano, the dealer is going to help me out. The fact that they are 12 miles away contributes to that peace of mind.
I must also say that I try to avoid any and all situations that would involve litigation as a backup plan… But that’s just me! smile

B
B
I live in Seattle as well, and did daily nationwide Craigslist and Facebook searches for the M&H BB I had in mind: pre-aeolian or post 2000, preferably satin ebony. Was interested in a WNG action, but wasn’t a necessity. I ended up finding one from a dealer and negotiated for 12k. It’s a bit well worn for it’s age, but I’m happy to put the money into it to bring it to the forever piano I was looking for. It arrived last week, and I’m so pleased.

If I hadn’t found this piano, I also had my eye on a recently rebuilt BB from PianoTek

https://www.pianotek.com/shopinstruments/mason-hamlin-bb-grand-piano

I’m also not sure if this Bosendorfer is still available, especially with David Anderson’s recent passing, but it sure is a beautiful piano and was on my list

https://davidandersenpianos.com/pro...-200-67-grand-piano-forsale-los-angeles/

For giggles, there was also a M&H CC available in Georgia on Facebook for around your 40k.

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear more about your search.

-Bryce

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by brycef
I live in Seattle as well, and did daily nationwide Craigslist and Facebook searches for the M&H BB I had in mind: pre-aeolian or post 2000, preferably satin ebony. Was interested in a WNG action, but wasn’t a necessity. I ended up finding one from a dealer and negotiated for 12k. It’s a bit well worn for it’s age, but I’m happy to put the money into it to bring it to the forever piano I was looking for. It arrived last week, and I’m so pleased.
OK - I'm intrigued. How old is the BB you purchased for $12K? grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
2000 😁

B
B
Originally Posted by twocats
I recently tried a very nicely regulated Baldwin SF10 (7 foot) and really loved it. So much that if I didn't have a Bösendorfer sitting in my living room, I probably would have bought it. You should at least check it out!

Was it that Sf-10 at Michelle's? I really liked that one, but didn't like the keytops, and was turned off when the salesman pretended they were fine. But that thing was a delight to play.

Last edited by BlakeOR; 08/31/21 01:04 AM.

Originally Posted by brycef
2000 😁
AMAZING. Congratulations !!!!!!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by BlakeOR
Originally Posted by twocats
I recently tried a very nicely regulated Baldwin SF10 (7 foot) and really loved it. So much that if I didn't have a Bösendorfer sitting in my living room, I probably would have bought it. You should at least check it out!

Was it that Sf-10 at Michelle's? I really liked that one, but didn't like the keytops, and was turned off when the salesman pretended they were fine. But that thing was a delight to play.

It was at Pianos Now. I think it was the nicest piano they had, and at a great price!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
If you like the piano at Michelle’s make them an offer. They are a fabulous dealer and will negotiate on price, sometimes substantial discounts can be had. If the salesmen turn you off at all, just deal with the owner. Also, let them know what you seek and they may just be able to find it.

1899 M&H C, 2015 Steinway D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oldMH
If you like the piano at Michelle’s make them an offer. They are a fabulous dealer and will negotiate on price, sometimes substantial discounts can be had. If the salesmen turn you off at all, just deal with the owner. Also, let them know what you seek and they may just be able to find it.

+1. If you really like the August Förster 215, make them an offer. $48,000 seems high, but I don't know how old the piano is or how many owners it has had. Like I said earlier, I paid less than $40,000 for a 215 3 years ago, and it was built in 2002 and first sold in 2004 and had 2 previous owners. So maybe that could be a guide for you in making an offer. Also, if you like the Förster, remember they are quite a rare find in the U.S. You aren't likely to encounter another one for some time. Not that you should jump on it necessarily...just pointing out that they so seldom come up for sale in the U.S.

August Förster 215
N
N
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I have some ancient and unjustified perception

Unjustified is correct. It's not ancient, because it was never true. thumb

grin thumb

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
This piano seems like a bargain for 9K.

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=46709

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Rich D.

Rich

Indeed it does —- unless you live in Seattle like the OP

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There is another shop in Florida with not one, but two Bechstein Bs. Worth a little R&D?

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Rich D.

Rich

That doesn't look like a BB (unless the image has been squished horizontally)

Guys, I thank you for all the advice given. I don't want to get too early a case of buyer's remorse but I went ahead and bought this '06 BB off Pianomart a couple days ago for 30k (includes delivery). Ultimately, I went with what I thought was the best value play. If for some reason I end up wanting "the ultimate" I can hopefully trade up without losing too much and if I don't like it same thing, can resell and just keep the serviceable Yamaha N1X.

Now to wait for it to show up. Recommendations on placement?

[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations ikkiyikki!

I would place it where those boxes are on the floor - with keyboard in foreground and tail towards the window.

Hope you will post a video of the piano in place? and let us hear what it sounds like after a good tuning.

Again, Congrats!

brdwyguy

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.

Guys, I thank you for all the advice given. I don't want to get too early a case of buyer's remorse but I went ahead and bought this '06 BB off Pianomart a couple days ago for 30k (includes delivery). Ultimately, I went with what I thought was the best value play. If for some reason I end up wanting "the ultimate" I can hopefully trade up without losing too much and if I don't like it same thing, can resell and just keep the serviceable Yamaha N1X.
Wow - you grabbed that one fast (the ad was originally posted on 8/28). Since the $30K includes delivery, and if the piano is as well maintained as the owner claims, I'd say this is a really great deal. As for wanting the "ultimate" you may decide that this BB fits the bill. Congratulations !!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
Congratulations ikkiyikki!

I would place it where those boxes are on the floor - with keyboard in foreground and tail towards the window.

Thank you all :-)

I was thinking putting the keyboard on this end but tilting it out diagonally with tail pointing towards the DP in the background. Might be a waste of space though. I was worried about that vent and the sunlight affecting the end as the windows face east. Or is this being overly cautious?

Last edited by ikkiyikki; 09/01/21 07:05 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission