2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (bxrdad1, drumour, cygnusdei, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, DSC, David Boyce, bkem101, Erard, 5 invisible), 1,054 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Her videos provide information on some of the textures and playing styles of prominent jazz pianists, transformed through her playing ; which makes some sense; but lacks the perspective of personal development for the listener.
And of course there is no swing feeling.
Listening to this pianist, I took a feeling of sympathy for her enormous investment in a narrow field.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Certainly no snide remarks from me. As I said they are the facts. You and everyone else is entitled to their opinion. You asked for her background and education and that's what I gave you. And I certainly won't be refraining my remarks. I held back considerably, and am trying to keep this polite.

She has walked the walk. She's from Korea, she's learnt to speak English, graduated from one of the finest music Colleges in the USA and has toured playing with the Berklee all star band in Germany (amongst other places) from what I remember reading.

Unless you disbelief everything she says and writes? Talk about slurring people....

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi

Certainly no snide remarks from me. As I said they are the facts. You and everyone else is entitled to their opinion. You asked for her background and education and that's what I gave you. And I certainly won't be refraining my remarks. I held back considerably, and am trying to keep this polite.

She has walked the walk. She's from Korea, she's learnt to speak English, graduated from one of the finest music Colleges in the USA and has toured playing with the Berklee all star band in Germany (amongst other places) from what I remember reading.

Unless you disbelief everything she says and writes? Talk about slurring people....

Cheers

Another snide, and inflammatory, remark at the end there. Why do you feel the need to hold back? Is it your instinct to be rude and you actively engage politeness to counter it?

Are you aware you said "I certainly won't be refraining my remarks" followed by "I held back considerably", which appear to be contradictory comments?

I'm asking you to please stop the personal attacks - it goes against the forum rules and is not in the spirit of the site.

Back to topic:

She's not walked the walk in comparison to the likes of Chick Corea, who you compared her actions to previously. My response was in relation to that comment. I'm not saying she doesn't have experience or hasn't trained, but it seems somewhat folly to compare the two.

As Nahum says, she lacks personal development and I heard that in her playing too. Maybe you disagree with him too?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Be Wary."

Of what????? Maybe it's a hobby for some folks, maybe it is a profession. I should be wary of a You Tube video about music? Hey, this ain't politics or cults here; we're talking music.

Example. I watched Chick every night during height of pandemic, it was very entertaining. My biggest takeaway was how he went through written material twice; at least that is what I got out of it. Some will take in more, others might change the channel. IMHO Jimin Park videos present the student with more useful exercises that might improve one's playing.

I don't feel wary, that I somehow might loose my swing (if I have any.) I am the leader of my mind, so I can just turn it off. I'm not wary, that somehow I'll ruin everything I learned before watching a You Tube video on piano.

I guess it makes for interesting comment sections. IMHO, social media has made people overly sensitive. Most here will ignore everything I just said by not commenting and yes, it might make me feel bad for say five seconds. Carry on.

Last edited by 36251; 08/27/21 06:47 AM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used Chick Corea as an example of another Jazz musician who had his own YouTube channel. I could of picked dozens, and of course I'm not comparing the two.

My attacks aren't personal, I'm just defending someone who isn't here to defend herself.

Cheers

Simon

Pearl Midtown Drums

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi 36251

Couldn't agree more. I think if Fatar760 and I were having this discussion in person, there would be very little disagreement. The nuance of the written word is so easy to take the wrong way.

Like you (please correct me if I'm wrong) my level is way below her abilities, so perhaps I don't hear the subtle differences that Fatar760 and Nahum are hearing.

I've said enough, and won't be commenting in this thread again. If anyone has a problem with my comments please take it to a moderator.

Cheers

Simon

Pearl Midtown Drums

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Jazz police trolling ..but she’s fine. But now it’s she can’t swing and hasn’t walked the walk. Ridiculous. It says more about her critics than her.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RinTin
But now it’s she can’t swing and hasn’t walked the walk. Ridiculous. It says more about her critics than her.

Originally Posted by fatar760
She's not walked the walk in comparison to the likes of Chick Corea....I'm not saying she doesn't have experience or hasn't trained, but it seems somewhat folly to compare the two

At least have the decency to quote accurately.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Jazz police trolling ..but she’s fine. But now it’s she can’t swing and hasn’t walked the walk. Ridiculous. It says more about her critics than her.

https://soundcloud.com/wdcbnews/what-is-swing

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
“Misty” in C Major. The rhythmic notation attempts to be too detailed, I wouldn’t notate it like this, but once I got used to this overly detailed rendering, it gives me insight into how Garner routinely fills all the space with what he knows and likes to do. I pause each measure and study Garner’s habits.

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Here’s another version of “Misty” but in D major:

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Nahum
And of course there is no swing feeling.
Listening to this pianist, I took a feeling of sympathy for her enormous investment in a narrow field.

She swings quite well and adapts her swing to the artists' she is highlighting. First time seeing her and I quite like her. There is a great deal I could get from her videos, I'm sure. I like Aimee Nolte too and still intending to get back to some of her tutorials.

Swing is not a matter of just taste either. It either swings, or it doesn't. Jazzwire seem to be trying to explain what swing is, but I didn't hear anyone demonstrate it. The little playing I heard had a jazz feel, but didn't swing.

In the hotel lobby video, she is rushing, quite a bit. But, I don't think it was meant to be a polished performance.

She's young and of course will grow more into it. But, I think a very bright future is ahead for her.

Thanks for sharing these videos.

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
There are so many ways of swinging. Heavy swing, medium swing, light swing, even eighths swing and every degree in between those; there’s stiff swing and loose swing and again everything in between. It’s subjective, what you like is relevant. I have heard very acclaimed “masters” swing in ways I don’t care for. Swing is pretty irrelevant to the topic of this thread which was what are the typical stylistic elements of Errol Garner style pianism. You can hear sometimes Garner’s influence in playing the of Monty Alexander, Cyrus Chestnut and Hiromi for example.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Swing is pretty irrelevant to the topic of this thread which was what are the typical stylistic elements of Errol Garner style pianism. .
?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
There are so many ways of swinging. Heavy swing, medium swing, light swing, even eighths swing and every degree in between those; there’s stiff swing and loose swing and again everything in between. It’s subjective, what you like is relevant. I have heard very acclaimed “masters” swing in ways I don’t care for. Swing is pretty irrelevant to the topic of this thread which was what are the typical stylistic elements of Errol Garner style pianism...

Yes, but I think it became relevant when people started taking shots at her ability to swing.

I go along with everything else. Sure there are degrees of swing, but there are also styles of jazz that don't swing at all and perhaps they are not supposed to, but still they get mixed in with all other jazz nonetheless.

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
What's your thoughts or opinion on this continuous eighths swing? Don't hold back, be completely honest.
jazz eighths

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Yes, I'll be as honest as possible: this is not good!

1. Phrases are devoid of target

2. As a consequence 1. music does not breathe

3. As a consequence 1. there is no dynamics

swing

Last edited by Nahum; 08/31/21 02:12 AM.
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
What's your thoughts or opinion on this continuous eighths swing? Don't hold back, be completely honest.
jazz eighths
I proceed from the assumption that you are playing it. Just in the groove you sound much better - there is phrasing, there is breathing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
jazz eighths

Yes, I'll be as honest as possible: this is not good!

1. Phrases are devoid of target

2. As a consequence 1. music does not breathe

3. As a consequence 1. there is no dynamics

I proceed from the assumption that you are playing it. Just in the groove you sound much better - there is phrasing, there is breathing.

Contradiction
noun
UK /ˌkɒn.trəˈdɪk.ʃən/ US /ˌkɑːn.trəˈdɪk.ʃən/

The fact of something being the complete opposite of something else or very different from something else, so that one of them must be wrong.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/contradiction

...or, indeed, that one must be right.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by fatar760
Contradiction
noun
UK /ˌkɒn.trəˈdɪk.ʃən/ US /ˌkɑːn.trəˈdɪk.ʃən/

The fact of something being the complete opposite of something else or very different from something else, so that one of them must be wrong.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/contradiction

...or, indeed, that one must be right.
Have you heard his other recordings? https://soundcloud.com/harry-likas-815941688/song4me

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission