2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3150352 08/27/21 12:03 PM
B
busa Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi all. So having bought a new piano, and with our home insurance about to expire, we inquired about adding the piano to the new home insurance. I was going to explain the drama so far, but in the end i'd only be wanting to ask you guys in the UK if you insure your pianos? Who with if you do? Is it separate to your normal home insurance?

Thanks in advance for your replies smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am no longer in UK, but think I can speak to this.

In my UK experience, yes, it will cost you extra. There will be a scale, according to the value of any instrument you wish to insure. There's the rub! So if you have a piano which you bought for 2o,000 pounds you will pay the premium on that value and that will be similar to an equivalent value violin. Consider what cover you will get. You aren't going to take it out of the house, and nobody is going to steal it. Anything that happens as a result of playing it will not be covered. So really you are getting cover for accidental damage or fire. Both of those are fairly unlikely scenarios:

In the case of accidental damage that is most likely to happen if you decide to move it. How likely are you to want to do that? If you suddenly want it in the ballroom instead of the music room, get professional movers to do it (probably a good idea anyway) and they will have insurance. For knocks, scratches etc. get a good padded cover.

Fire? If your house burns down, well you will have plenty of other worries. I do not treat this subject lightly. In my house, here, fire is a genuine risk. So I have a fire hose in the boiler room, dry powder extinguishers in the hall, landing and kitchen plus a fire blanket in the latter.

I am not offering financial advice, merely explaining my mind set. By all means PM me should you so wish.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
House and contents are insured with LV. Valuable contents worth over £2000 have to be specified on the schedule to be covered.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Money supermarket has some advice. I list my console digital piano (was close to £4k new once, £5k to replace new equivalent) separately on my home contents insurance, along with a couple of other high value items. The extra premium as I recall was something like £5 a year. I worry about fire and a leak from above or accidental damage.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission