2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (chopin_r_us, Animisha, cygnusdei, bxrdad1, drumour, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, DSC, David Boyce, 5 invisible), 1,085 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3149013 08/23/21 01:21 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was regulating a friend's Weber W150 baby grand this weekend, It's about 5 years old. All the hammers were sitting on the hammer rest felt and the blow was excessive so I moved everything up to 44mm and set the proper letoff and dip. The white keys regulate fine, but I noticed that many of the black keys don't. There isn't enough key travel in many of the black keys to move the jack completely off the knuckle. When depressing 6-7 adjacent black and white keys all the way, I noticed that the capstans on the white keys are all at a pretty even height, but uniformly about 1mm higher than the capstans on the adjacent black keys. Therefore it seems the key dip on many of the black keys is too shallow.

I've never depressed a bunch of keys and observed the resulting capstan heights before, but I'd think they should all be about the same. This piano has never been regulated, so it seems the piano came from the factory that way. Any reason a manufacturer would set the black keys to raise the capstans less than the white keys?

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You can measure the differences between the measuring points for the key dip and the balance rail contact, and from there to the capstan, and work out the ratios. I did that recently, and raised the black keys a smidgeon to compensate for the difference. Additional key height and dip on the black keys does not really change the touch.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks. So on a properly regulated piano, if you could depress all the black and white keys, should the resulting line of capstan heights be even?

B
BDB Offline
B
That would be the ideal.

Semipro Tech
B
B
Measure the height of the sharps above the white keys. If they are less than a half an inch raise them up and that will increase your sharp key dip fix your issue without having the sharps drop below the white keys.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Got it, thanks you guys.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Sharps have to be very close to 1/2 inch. More and players complain about articulation. Less and you will usually have to "bury" them to get sufficient after-touch. If you start with them 1/2" above the naturals, set the dip to create the same after touch as the naturals and you will be where you need to be.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

F
F
I have a bench set-up that makes it easy for me to change sharp key height, so I've been playing with the regulation procedure. Here's one way of approaching it:

I have made an aftertouch gauge with a thickness of .045 that has a handle on it, so I can simply reach in with it and set it on top of the front key punching. For a set of samples (or for the whole keyset!) set the dip to the thickness of nickel. I don't think I want to see the sharp dip ending up much lower than that. Having set natural key height and dip already, I then proceed to adjust the capstans for a series of notes to achieve consistent aftertouch, and see what happens to the hammer line. Don't expect your result to be pretty. But you will see what is happening with your sharps, and have some indication as to whether they are at an appropriate height. Half an inch is 12.5mm. Somewhat less than that is OK, if that is what makes things work. More than that tends to be a problem. Once you see what you have, changing your natural key dip slightly might be something to consider, if necessary.

If you want to, you can also use the opportuninty to play with the fudge factor in a bunch of the adjustments to achieve a compromise that offers something close the specs your are aiming for while achieving a presentable hammer line. You'll see very quickly that it is not a perfect world.

I am inclined not to fudge natural key height. The inconsistency ends of being a way too obvious. To a limited degree, I will compromise key dip, sharp key height, and hammer line perfection. I am aiming for the feel of consistent aftertouch, but I'm not a slave to the gauge. So there's room to fudge here too. I like the gauge, though, because it does give me a useful point of reference.

Some of you guys are way ahead of me on this. Your thoughts?

Floyd G RPT
www.floydgadd.com
F
F
Dip is set such that the top surface of the black key is the thickness of a nickel above the adjacent naturals when depressed. I didn't make that clear.

Floyd G RPT
www.floydgadd.com
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Floyd G
I have a bench set-up that makes it easy for me to change sharp key height, so I've been playing with the regulation procedure. Her

I am inclined not to fudge natural key height. The inconsistency ends of being a way too obvious. To a limited degree, I will compromise key dip, sharp key height, and hammer line perfection. I am aiming for the feel of consistent aftertouch, but I'm not a slave to the gauge. So there's room to fudge here too. I like the gauge, though, because it does give me a useful point of reference.

Some of you guys are way ahead of me on this. Your thoughts?

Greetings,
I split the difference between dip and blow to get a consistent aftertouch. If I start with a blue and pink punching under every front pin punching(along with whatever stack is required to get the dip consistent), it makes it easier to decide when to change the hammer line, i.e. After setting blow, and then let-off,(which I never vary), and with a consistent key-dip, I go through with a punching of .040" and place it under the front key pin. Depressing the key, I then change the dip until the jack just allows the hammer to fall when I feel the pressure on the front punching felt. A consistent touch is necessary here, as compression of the front felt punching needs to be the same,(a practiced tech will have more sensitivity in this regard than a concert pianist). If I have to remove both the pink and the blue to get that aftertouch, I replace the pink and raise the hammer until it does. This way, the dip is not varying by more than .009" to get the aftertouch consistent.

I do it this way because the pianists will never be able to tell .009" difference in key dip but will certainly register the same irregularity in after touch, (the .009" represents about 22% of the aftertouch but only 2.2% of the dip)/. As Floyd mentions,the hammer line will look ragged, but the action will feel more consistent than any other way.

Some things to consider: The resilience of the front punching felt comes into play when doing this. A very light pressure is hard to keep consistent and a very soft punching does the same. A firmer finger pressure will be easier to judge and a firmer front punching makes it easier to get consistency. I like the Crescendo punchings for this. When I find I am getting wide irregularities between key dips, it is almost always the capstan line's fault, as small irregularities there will give irregular action ratios. Irregular let-off will do the same thing, so I am particularly obsessive about that.
Regards,

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Really nice description of your approach, Ed! Much appreciated.

By the way, this is a great key dip tool from Wessel Nickel & Gross that helps solve some of the problem of inconsistent touch when setting dip:

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
The WNG tool is a modern update on a cobbed up bunch of lead many of us put together a long time ago. I still use it when I want to set a consistent dip first, and with the addition of punchings under the bar, allows a variety of dips to be set deeper. It has always done a very good job of insuring that all the keys are descending the same amount,(a dimension that I will, as mentioned above, later vary in pursuit of some OCD, ideal, target I am cursed with).

When it comes time to set the aftertouch-defined dip, (making the variations on the depth to achieve consistent aftertouch) I think the educated finger is more than enough, and faster without another appliance. The nuanced differences at the point of escapement are valuable information in terms of knuckle roughness, leading edge of the jack, and any other of the myriad components of the event, and my sense of touch does better when I am able to feel things unmediated by the additional mass. This is also that critical point in which my sense of touch and pressure is focussed on the same thing that the pianist (even if unknowingly) will feel. Those of us that regulate with regularity (!), have, with experience, an extremely sensitive feel for the compression of the front punching and the scrape of the jack across the knuckle, as well as such outlier things like a sliver of wood in the mortise that just touches the jack as it moves past, or a burr on the tender, etc. .

I am inspired by the late Dave Anderson, who always stressed trusting our intuition-based decision making in such matters. And, I will be the first to admit, that I have sometimes compromised the perfect aftertouch because the damn key just FELT more consistent with a shade more or less, even though the numbers were not supporting the decision.
Regards,

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
thumb

This is what I present in my classes or in mentoring.
I learned setting the black keys to have consistent aftertouch with the whites in Yamaha's "Little Red Schoolhouse" -- now carried on by PTG.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission