2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (beeboss, eddiepiano, cygnusdei, chopin_r_us, Animisha, bxrdad1, drumour, Ben_NZ, 9 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
FDT Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you for all your input, and that has been a great help to me in my search. I finally settled on a 2013 Kawai KM10 for 8K. It's in great condition, actually the first owner bought it brand new from the same dealer, and traded in after 8 years for something else.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FDT
Thank you for all your input, and that has been a great help to me in my search. I finally settled on a 2013 Kawai KM10 for 8K. It's in great condition, actually the first owner bought it brand new from the same dealer, and traded in after 8 years for something else.
That's terrific. You've had quite a piano search journey. Hope this new (to you) Kawai will give both you and your daughter pleasure for many years to come. And FYI, eight years is not old for a piano - not by a long shot. Have fun !!!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
R
Does the piano need to be a baby grand? Do you play? You would be better off with a high-quality 50" upright such as a K5, K500, if you need a Kawai. You would be much happier with the sound quality. These instruments are professional grade. Something else to consider. smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Do you mean a GM-10? I've not heard of a KM-10

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
F
FDT Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks!
And now, practice.

Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by FDT
That's terrific. You've had quite a piano search journey. Hope this new (to you) Kawai will give both you and your daughter pleasure for many years to come. And FYI, eight years is not old for a piano - not by a long shot. Have fun !!!!

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Congratulations!

F
FDT Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yes, that's a typo.
Originally Posted by MarkL
Do you mean a GM-10? I've not heard of a KM-10

I have considered an upright earlier in my search, but eventually narrow it down to a baby grand. I probably wouldn't have spent 8K on an upright, just my personal preference.
Originally Posted by RayR3004
Does the piano need to be a baby grand? Do you play? You would be better off with a high-quality 50" upright such as a K5, K500, if you need a Kawai. You would be much happier with the sound quality. These instruments are professional grade. Something else to consider. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations to you and your daughter!
Do not forget to send us pictures when the piano arrives in your home!

My piano's voice is my voice to the great unknown, out there..in other words a hymn.That is all but that is enough.

Just sold my old C2 and am thinking of replacing it with a CBechstein124, Schimmel K132 or a YUS5.
S
S
Congratulations! 🎉🎊🎈
I’m sure you and your daughter enjoy the new piano!

The GL-10
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Any Kawai dealers near you? You could probably get a brand new Kawai GL10, which is an updated version of the GM-12, for about the same price with free delivery if dealer is in your town. My guess is that delivery at that distance would be around $800.

That being said, are you stuck on a baby grand? If it were me, I'd look for a slightly older but larger piano at that price.

$8000 including delivery is below dealer cost. You are setting up false expectations.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
The GL-10
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Any Kawai dealers near you? You could probably get a brand new Kawai GL10, which is an updated version of the GM-12, for about the same price with free delivery if dealer is in your town. My guess is that delivery at that distance would be around $800.

That being said, are you stuck on a baby grand? If it were me, I'd look for a slightly older but larger piano at that price.

$8000 including delivery is below dealer cost. You are setting up false expectations.

This is an interesting example, and interesting wording.

SMP for a GL-10 is 15590. That would put dealer cost at roughly 7800. So it actually could be "delivery" that put this into the red for a dealer.

But since the numbers are so close, I'm wondering for which dealer?

Steve has posted in the past that different dealers have different costs, and provided examples in which Dealer X can profitably undercut Dealer Y because high-volume dealers receive significant discounts. And I understand that dealers who buy by the container can receive up to a 25% discount.

A 25% discount from "wholesale" could put the GL-10's cost as low as 5850! A dealer like that could apparently sell this piano for a 1/3 markup, and still be below a low-volume dealer's cost, just like in Steve's examples!

I'm guessing that Steve's statement is accurate for low-volume dealers.
And Emery's is probably accurate for high-volume dealers.

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And I understand that dealers who buy by the container can receive up to a 25% discount.

Source and brand, please.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by RPA88
I would consider an alternative, for example the piano shown below.

The people at Stilwell are great to work with. I recently purchased a Steinway from them and it was an outstanding experience.

https://stilwellpianos.com/collections/used-grand-baby-grand/products/chas-m-stieff-baby-grand-piano
Unless I'm reading that page incorrectly that piano was built in 1911. Piano that age often need complete rebuilding and very little work could have been done on that piano for the quoted price. The only rebuilding mentioned in the video was replacing hammers and strings 10-15 years ago. It's possible the piano is good but it certainly needs to be inspected by an independent tech.
Replacing the hammers and strings, sometimes the dampers, and regulating the action often is all an older piano needs to be put in good playable condition. Even if a full rebuild of the action was done, it may have been done 15 or 40 years ago and not push the price up dramatically. You seem to have a categorical view of vintage piano condition as if the only possibilities are completely worn out or just rebuilt fully by who is now selling it. If you bought a fully rebuilt piano, and sell it 10-15 years later, how would you describe it, and how would the rebuild affect price?

But even assuming the piano is in good playable condition with plenty of life in the hammers, dampers, and strings, the price still seems high for the particular piano in question. I tend to think that a Knabe or Chickering baby grand of similar age and in good playable condition could be found at a similar price.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 08/26/21 01:38 PM.

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
And I understand that dealers who buy by the container can receive up to a 25% discount.

Source(s)? You might be surprised. wink
Obviously, though, I'm not going to undermine anyone's trust in me. thumb

Brand(s)? Candidly, I don't know the discount schedule of every manufacturer. I do know some, and believe the statement I made above is factual (as confirmed by multiple industry people).

The good news is that the specifics don't matter. We know the piano market works this way. Steve, for one, has made that clear publicly, and it's consistent with the overarching dealership model (boats, cars, etc).

How to Upload Pictures

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Isn't buying merchandise by the parcel at a discount relative to retail price, maintaining inventory, and selling individual pieces at retail price, the model of most retailers?

What is specific about pianos and other big ticket items like cars, at least in the US, is that the retail price is neither fixed nor advertised.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
[...]
What is specific about pianos and other big ticket items like cars, at least in the US, is that the retail price is neither fixed nor advertised.

Generally speaking, auto dealers don't always advertise their prices. On the other hand, many newspaper ads do give prices for individual models of new vehicles, at least locally.

I have found that going to a website of a particular automobile manufacturer and "building" a certain model based on options will give a specific bottom-line price, and "see your dealer for a test drive."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
[...]

Generally speaking, auto dealers don't always advertise their prices. On the other hand, many newspaper ads do give prices for individual models of new vehicles, at least locally.

I have found that going to a website of a particular automobile manufacturer and "building" a certain model based on options will give a specific bottom-line price, and "see your dealer for a test drive."

Regards,

Manufacturers, distributors and dealers are governed by a variety of national and state/provincial laws and regulations, which vary from country to country and state to state (and even by industry), not to mention contractual agreements among themselves.

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing that Steve's statement is accurate for low-volume dealers.
And Emery's is probably accurate for high-volume dealers.

After contemplating the above for a day or two, let me amend it a bit.

Steve's statement is probably true for low-volume dealers. But since it's seemingly true only due to the difference that "delivery" introduces, it likely is not true for dealers who receive volume discounts or incentives.

That said, I don't think it's likely that anyone will find GL-10s available for 8k. It's theoretically feasible -- if a dealer receives a significant discount and is willing to accept a low margin -- but probably not likely, especially in today's tight market.

How to Upload Pictures

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission