2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (An Old Square, anotherscott, accordeur, bubbaXzone, BWV846, 22 invisible), 625 guests, and 536 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 106 of 109 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 109
Short Update on my interaction with the Yamaha Support.
A technician came and fixed a loose screw within mm CLP-745 which caused some notes make a vibrating sound playing at louder volumes. The beeping however could not be fixed. Now where supply situation is getting better at the stores, I was able to play two different CLP-745s and both hat the exact Same weird resonance on the above mentioned notes. I had a chance also To briefly Play a clp-775 which didn’t have that issue at all.
Anyways it doesn‘t bother me too much anymore.

Last edited by GaiaImpact; 08/16/21 06:39 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by GaiaImpact
A technician came and fixed a loose screw within mm CLP-745 which caused some notes make a vibrating sound playing at louder volumes. The beeping however could not be fixed. Now where supply situation is getting better at the stores, I was able to play two different CLP-745s and both hat the exact Same weird resonance on the above mentioned notes. I had a chance also To briefly Play a clp-775 which didn’t have that issue at all.
I was considering getting a clp 745, but after hearing about this issue, which seems to be unfixable, I am considering other options. Maybe an "old" and reliable p515.

S
S
And then another dilemma arises. If one is to pay around 3k€ for a clp 775, why not get a new cheap upright, a Young Chang for example? Space restrictions and the need to practice silently aside of course.
I guess my point is that digitals cost more than they should. Normally, such a dilemma shouldn't exist.

Last edited by Skropi; 08/18/21 06:31 AM.
Originally Posted by Skropi
And then another dilemma arises. If one is to pay around 3k€ for a clp 775, why not get a new cheap upright, a Young Chang for example? Space restrictions and the need to practice silently aside of course.
I guess my point is that digitals cost more than they should. Normally, such a dilemma shouldn't exist.

Best thing To do: Try the 745 and it’s competitors yourself.
I don’t think this resonance is worth abandoning the entire Instrument. I didn‘t even want to make such a Deal about it or upset anyone looking forward to buy a CLP745.
Its a thing but you clearly can get over it and a lot of People probably wouldn‘t even notice if not been told about it.

Greetz Gaia

S
S
Originally Posted by Skropi

Best thing To do: Try the 745 and it’s competitors yourself.
I don’t think this resonance is worth abandoning the entire Instrument. I didn‘t even want to make such a Deal about it or upset anyone looking forward to buy a CLP745.
Its a thing but you clearly can get over it and a lot of People probably wouldn‘t even notice if not been told about it.

Greetz Gaia
While I am sure it may not be a big deal, objectively or subjectively, I do expect to get a product that is not faulty, even in a minor way. What irritates me is that Yamaha answered that this issue is expected behaviour of the instrument, and VMR technology, so I wouldn't expect them to try and solve this.
In any case, the p515 looks much more attractive now.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
While still anxiously awaiting a local shop getting a CLP745 in house for me to try, it seems pertinent to try and confirm here the “known problems” likely to be or not be resolved by steps taken by the owner and/or Yamaha support.

Having tried to learn from this long thread so as to enumerate what these problems are currently known here to be, the main one seems to be undesirable resonance, attested by multiple owners and perhaps some testers too, coming from the area of b3# & b4# especially while using sustain pedal; for which some employee[s] of Yamaha - or contractor therein - has said this particular problem is part of the inherent design and for the present not fixable..... and at least one owner has said they can live with especially after various tweaks they found to reduce this problem. .

Some members have reported hearing peeping or beeping sounds; are these different descriptions of the same as the b# phenoms or separate problems all together that may or may not be resolved by any of the typical, practical attempts to resolve like moving away from walls or tweaking this or that, removing or relocating bling, etc?

Is the need for pedal screw adjustment or replacement something that multiple owners have encountered?; any other known problems a new 745 owner or try-before-buy owner-wannabe may potentially notice?

Thank you PW.

Last edited by drewr; 08/18/21 10:37 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Maybe it should; it well might niggle at you in the future like a nagging wife. D'ya really want that?
One of the cheaper clavs may too, not exhibit this but may be lacking in some other stuff you find necessary.
However, maybe you can short circuit this immediate problem and others later down the line; for it seems to me from observations on the Adult Beginner's Forum (most there aren't lol) that guys usung digitals of every persuation and price range (inc the N3) end up using a VST, usually Pianoteq.
These always sound much better than the Digital piano's native voices. Imo . . . .
All you will need then is a piano controller, which any digital piano can be elevated to.

Last edited by peterws; 08/18/21 12:22 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Does this problematic sound happen when the pedal is pressed or when it isn't?

C
C
Hi all,

I've had the CLP 745 for almost 9 months now; in terms of problems, I haven't had many. They were:

1. A clicking noise when pressing and releasing pedals rapidly (no problem when smoothly moving the pedals). This is largely solvable by pushing in some springs as I detailed in an earlier post. I think this happens with some units but not all of them. I don't know if it means the shipping was mishandled or if it's unrelated to that.

2. If using one of the two main piano samples (CFX or Bosendorfer) through speakers and pressing Bb#3 or #4 rapidly with the pedal depressed, the sound resonates and becomes really loud. For example, you can press the pedal and repeatedly press these notes very lightly and expect it would just play the note softly many times. Instead, the sound gets louder over time and builds on itself. It's worse if you're trying to be soft since you basically can't stay soft, the sound will get louder each time you press it. This never affected me in practice because I don't play any pieces that involve pressing these particular notes rapidly with pedal. But if you do play a piece that involves this you may need to switch samples, turn off VRM, or transpose the piano a half step (+1 or -1 for Transpose setting) to avoid that sample (since then if you're playing Bb, you'll actually activate say the B or C sample).

3. The "brightness" control in the piano room doesn't seem to do anything to the Bosendorfer binaural sample (i.e., when playing with headphones). It seems to work fine when playing through speakers (stereo sample). I'm mostly OK with this.

Other than that, I haven't really found anything to be buggy. The instrument seems to be solidly built (maybe minus that pedal issue). And I haven't had any issues with the controls or screen (although I still would recommend putting a light dimming film on the screen to make it less bright).

S
S
Well, if the issue is apparent only with a pressed pedal then its not a big deal, but still.....

T
T
I have had the 745 since jan and I haven’t had any issues… I did not notice sound or pedal issues…
I advise you to consider it….
Regards

O
O
They came with a really big surprise for those with CLP 600 (USB soundcard)

Would be great if Yamaha update the samples on CLP 700 with a better/bigger version of 2 very nice pianos recently update in the CP/YC series:
U1 and Nashville C3

Buttt, probably they'll use them on the CLP 800 series

C
C
What are they doing with the transducers on the 785? Similar to the CA’s soundboard with transducers?

I love the garritan CFX so much, can someone tell me your opinion in comparison with the clp 785? Which one sounds better?
I am undecided whether to take the clp 785 or the ca99, for me if the clp were like the garritan it would be enough for me, alternatively if it were not, I would buy the ca99 and when I want to change I would use the garritan exploiting it with the Kawai.
However, I would prefer to buy the 785, given the problems that perhaps the ca99 still has.
Someone can do some tests and in case even two recordings, I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Last edited by OldSoul; 08/25/21 05:56 PM.
K
K
That resonance is there with different notes when switching to different samples. I’m just learning — I’m about halfway through Faber Adult Piano Adventures Level 2 — but I’ve already run across a couple of issues when trying to work on dynamics.

Next time I’m in front of it I’ll do an inventory of which samples/notes have that resonance problem.

G
G
Originally Posted by OldSoul
I love the garritan CFX so much, can someone tell me your opinion in comparison with the clp 785? Which one sounds better?

CyberGene did a comparison of Garritan CFX with the N1X. N1X ist not CLP-7xx, but should be very similar...
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2848739

Originally Posted by OldSoul
I am undecided whether to take the clp 785 or the ca99[...]

Did you play both? Do not decide between them based on the sound!
They have very different actions, after trying them you will know which to buy ;-)

keep calm and play the piano :-)
@Georg.z

Thanks now I listen ..

I like both Yamaha and kawai, more the 785 as a tone, but it costs more, the ca99 is cheaper but I have read that you can have quality problems ..
For this reason I ask for info

Today I went into a different music store. Actually I was Looking for a Slab. They had a CLP745 in White. So I just tried it To check the resonance issue mine has.
And it sounded gorgeous. Clear, crisp no beeping at all. So I sat down and wrote another Repair request to Yamaha.
I will keep you updated about their answer and if I will be successful somehow to get rid of this Sound.

Greetz Gaia

Last edited by GaiaImpact; 08/31/21 06:15 AM.
T
T
Hello…
I was wondering if it’s possible to adjust sustain pedal resistance on clp 745 and make it lighter…my ankle is starting to hurt due to an old injury…I’m putting a book now under my heel…it’s helping…but not eliminating the problem

Thanks

C
C
Originally Posted by Tiva
Hello…
I was wondering if it’s possible to adjust sustain pedal resistance on clp 745 and make it lighter…my ankle is starting to hurt due to an old injury…I’m putting a book now under my heel…it’s helping…but not eliminating the problem

Thanks

AFAIK there is no way to make the sustain pedal lighter. You can adjust the half pedal point so you don’t have to press down as far but that’s about it. Are you wearing comfortable shoes?

Page 106 of 109 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 109

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,268
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission