2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, ambrozy, An Old Square, BravoRomeo, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 985 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The woman's channel has many fine instructional videos:

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

I'm subscribed to her YouTube channel Rintin. She really does some amazing stuff, and seems to be able to play in any style.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi

I'm subscribed to her YouTube channel Rintin. She really does some amazing stuff, and seems to be able to play in any style.

Cheers
I recommend that you be wary of her advice, for example, in the video about Garner (I haven't watched the others yet), she says that the left hand is ahead of the right. Wrong - this is not bebop; the left hand plays the role of a guitar (style Freddie Green) along with bass and drums, and the right hand moves back in time. Insanely difficult! And she repeats: it's simple, simple, simple ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nahum
Hi

Cheers
I recommend that you be wary of her advice, for example, in the video about Garner (I haven't watched the others yet), she says that the left hand is ahead of the right. Wrong - this is not bebop; the left hand plays the role of a guitar (style Freddie Green) along with bass and drums, and the right hand moves back in time. Insanely difficult! And she repeats: it's simple, simple, simple ...

I agree. There's so many young, YouTube-centred folk offering unstructured advice that one should be wary of. What I hear is a classical pianist playing bad jazz, and trying to break it down into bite-size chunks that appeals, and appears accessible, to anyone. Her right-hand rhythmic phrasing (in the first video) is not quite right.

It take mountains of work to get good at stride piano and octave work in a safe and healthy manner. She makes it sound like it's easy and anyone can do it. Be wary.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Nahum

I'm well past the stage of believing that I can play at a professional level, and/or impersonate the greats of Jazz Piano on anything other the most superficial of levels (i.e. stealing a few licks and phrases).

But I do like listening to what other talented people can do. I like what she's doing, and if Rintin thinks she has some talent as well, that's good enough for me.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I only watched 3 or 4 minutes of the Erroll Garner...I wish resources like this video existed 50 years ago.

My reservation is when people say "no no, this is not the proper way". As we all are hyperaware (is that a word?) jazz developed from people trying things out (a.k.a. trial and error). I see this video as a resource, not as some sort of holy gospel.

It's been said of Joni Mitchell that she had polio around age 9. I read someplace that Joni and trouble playing some guitar chords according to the prescribed method. She had to come up with alternative chord voicings because of her limitations. Lo and behold - she innovated.

When teachers teach the holy gospel of how proper jazz is to be played - they squelch the riches to be found in trial and error.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by indigo_dave
When teachers teach the holy gospel of how proper jazz is to be played - they squelch the riches to be found in trial and error.
That is, you are a supporter of the "Do as I do" method?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I read Dave's post as a reminder to be wary of the "Don't do as [x] does" warning.

For my money, she's right on the button. Within minutes of her suggestions I was Erroll.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I think I was mainly saying to take the OP's YT as advice. Try it out, experiment, try variations. When people approach jazz advice as "you must do this - or you must NOT do that" I take exception. So many newer, developing beginners are looking for a recipe book - to be strictly followed. Erroll Garner used his ears to determine what worked. The recipe book is valuable but not holy scripture (if I may mix my metaphors - and alliterate ad nauseum in the process).

Last edited by indigo_dave; 08/26/21 09:50 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Well I had a quick look into her background. She is a Jazz Pianist, composer and arranger and certainly isn't a classical Pianist faking it.

"I am Jazz pianist and Composer. Recording and Tourist Artist and has performed with such distinct artists Ben street, Eric alexander, Joe Hunt, Dave Santoro, Tom Melito, Neal Smith, Dezron Douglas. I usually play with the band such as quartet, trio big band.. etc. I went to Germany with Berklee All star band with Dave Santoro, Jim Odgren, Juan Ale. I also play Stride piano(solo piano) , and I'm touring Germany(ottobrunn) San Francisco Jazz festival with my solo piano performance.
I write songs. Big influences by Scriabin, Barry harris. Mostly writes Trio, Quartet tunes."

There's some great stride playing 2 minutes into this one.

As Dave said if only these sort of resources were available when I was growing up.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like watching some of her videos. I didn't watch the "playing like Error Garner" but I'm sure there is some things good, as well as bad. One of my main interest is finding worthwhile YT videos that I can compare how different minds decipher the bebop language. < let us not forget the importance of having a great teacher(s.)

Back to this YouTuber. I like this Blues exercise she wrote and I do practice it. (I know she is taking material from the masters, no need to remind me.)

Last edited by 36251; 08/26/21 10:23 AM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Well I had a quick look into her background. She is a Jazz Pianist, composer and arranger and certainly isn't a classical Pianist faking it.

"I am Jazz pianist and Composer. Recording and Tourist Artist and has performed with such distinct artists Ben street, Eric alexander, Joe Hunt, Dave Santoro, Tom Melito, Neal Smith, Dezron Douglas. I usually play with the band such as quartet, trio big band.. etc. I went to Germany with Berklee All star band with Dave Santoro, Jim Odgren, Juan Ale. I also play Stride piano(solo piano) , and I'm touring Germany(ottobrunn) San Francisco Jazz festival with my solo piano performance.
I write songs. Big influences by Scriabin, Barry harris. Mostly writes Trio, Quartet tunes."

There's some great stride playing 2 minutes into this one.

As Dave said if only these sort of resources were available when I was growing up.

Cheers

Anything on her education background, rather than how she promotes herself...?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Studied Jazz Piano at Berklee and graduated from there.
There's an interview on with Piano with Johnny.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Her name is Jimin Park. She can play.

R
R
... she says that the left hand is ahead of the right. Wrong - this is not bebop

Well, no. She earlier introduced stride as "left hand on the beat". And with a grace note the right hand sounds slightly delayed. The wording is a bit misleading unless seen in context.

And she repeats: it's simple, simple, simple ...

The concept? Yes, compared to a Bill Evans reharm.
The execution? Hmm...

Originally Posted by indigo_dave
I wish resources like this video existed 50 years ago.

Oh yes. I like how she outlines the building blocks.

Originally Posted by RinTin
Her name is Jimin Park.

Thanks for giving out the name! Now i can stop riddling.

She can play.

OK that's obvious.

-Rhodes74

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Well I had a quick look into her background. She is a Jazz Pianist, composer and arranger and certainly isn't a classical Pianist faking it

In the article you mention, it reads:

Park graduated from the Berklee College of Music on a full-ride scholarship for Jazz Piano. She took 2nd prize in the World Championship Old-Time Piano Playing contest, and has won several awards at prestigious classical competitions. Park has now has amassed a huge Youtube following with over 100,000 followers and over 5 million views.

Like I said, she comes across as being a classical player and, from the little information I could find, this statement seems to support that theory.

Her name is Jimin Park. She can play.

Jimin Park is also the name of a K-Pop singer. The pianist we are talking about also goes by the name Jimindorothy if you're looking for more info. Very different styles!

Still, the point I (and Nahum) were making was to be wary of these YouTubers and how they present themselves. Please remember that they are seeking your business (there's a paypal account to give her money for services if you wish to do so), and are ultimately trying to bolster their online profiles, likes, and client base. The videos are marketing tools to make you think "hey she makes it sound so easy, she can make me really good, I'll buy her online programme (which is around $70)"

Each to their own though.

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Why be wary and pessimistic? I’m glad she’s teaching jazz piano and promoting herself on Youtube. I think what you write says more about you than Jimin. It’s unrealistic to expect musicians to teach and play for free, yet she gives a lot for free. I gladly bought her stride arrangement of “After You've Gone“ and find it worth a measly $10.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Quite agree Rintin. I'd buy After You'd Gone as well, if I thought there was a realistic chance of me being able to play it! I don't need to be wary - I know my limitations.

There are plenty of Jazz musicians that use YouTube to promote their work. As well as Instagram, Facebook etc. Chick Corea was using YouTube until only a few months before he died. Why shouldn't they? Like everyone else she's trying to earn a living, which has been very tough for professional musicians during Covid.

You wouldn't call Chick Corea a Youtuber, or maybe you would.... The facts are though, she's studied Jazz Piano to a very high level and she IS a professional Jazz Pianist.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Why be wary and pessimistic?

Because there is a wealth of people on those platforms giving out a mixture of unqualified, or recycled (but not necessarily understood) information. You really don't have to look far to see that a cautionary approach should be taken with regards to a lot of online learning/activity, particularly from those seeking your business but dressing it up in a 'fun/it's easy' digestible way.

I’m glad she’s teaching jazz piano and promoting herself on Youtube. I think what you write says more about you than Jimin.

I'd like to remind you that it's against the forum rules to make personal slurs.

There's nothing wrong with advising caution and claiming she's a classically trained pianist - which she seems to be. There's also nothing wrong with opining that I didn't rate what she played in the first clip. I wasn't the only person critical of her, yet I'm the only person you have chosen to respond to in this manner.

It’s unrealistic to expect musicians to teach and play for free, yet she gives a lot for free.

I agree and never suggested otherwise.

Chick Corea was using YouTube until only a few months before he died. Why shouldn't they? Like everyone else she's trying to earn a living, which has been very tough for professional musicians during Covid

Yes, and as a professional musician myself, I can say that you are correct. It's been a very tough 18 months for many of my friends and colleagues, and the future is looking pretty uncertain too. In fact, one particular muso has got me through much of this period through his Instagram account.

You wouldn't call Chick Corea a Youtuber, or maybe you would.... The facts are though, she's studied Jazz Piano to a very high level and she IS a professional Jazz Pianist.

Again, another subtle snide remark - I'd ask you to refrain.

No, Chick Corea had walked the walk, unlike many of these promoting themselves on YouTube. No matter how someone classes, or promotes, themselves - it's okay not to like their output and to advise caution.

Nahum and Indigo dave advised caution too but you haven't responded to them in the same way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Touching up your tuning -- good idea?
by MusterMark - 12/01/21 12:42 AM
Roland HP2900G repair help
by mettleramiel - 12/01/21 12:06 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB heading my way
by duffle - 11/30/21 09:28 PM
Beginner repertoire 1
by ronlefebvre - 11/30/21 07:29 PM
Choosing hybrid with no inventory
by Esstepp - 11/30/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,321
Posts3,149,866
Members103,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission