2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Q
Q
Further thanks to Marie J, Peyton, Sam, Qwerty53, Rachtoven and facdo. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to say what they think!

facdo, I know what you mean about the fugue! It's pretty intimidating, but it's definitely on my (rather deluded) hit list. I think it would be great to be able to play the two together, they are spectacular.

To those who mentioned about acoustic vs digital, I think you are absolutely right (sorry Roland, I do love you but...); when I have played this on an acoustic the richness of the harmonies, especially as they decay into the empty spaces, is almost distracting. Almost too much. Almost.

It's so nice to be able to share some Bach here. I have to ration it out at home as Lady P describes it as "too plinky-plonky".

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3 Another new piece for me. I enjoyed your performance; the time on those technical exercises was clearly well spent.

28. rwsavory - The Poet Speaks - Op 15 "Scenes from Childhood" Not what I was expecting from the title; this would seem a rather somber recollection from childhood. Well-paced, and sensitively played.

29. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Consolation, Op. 30, No. 3 Revisiting earlier pieces can be so rewarding, an opportunity to really see how far we’ve come since originally working on the score. Lovely rich tones from your C3X, a confident and relaxed performance!

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer wow That takes bravery, to submit the very first piano piece you ever attempted. And what an amazing achievement in only 7 months. I’m looking forward to hearing lots more from you!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Oh wow, I missed one weekend and now I'm way behind!

Originally Posted by Jason Lenthe
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Nicely done!

Thanks Jason!

Originally Posted by MarjeJ
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) I’m not familiar with much of Heller’s work, but ‘he writes nice pieces indeed.’ I particularly liked the second part - well done, Wouter!

Marie thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by QuentinP
5. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)
No 24: Some unevenness in the RH rhythm was a little distracting but this sounds like a deceptively difficult number, and overall the tempo felt consistent. No 20: This had a lovely gentle energy. Well done on both
Good to hear. You're probably right about the RH rhythm but I don't hear it.

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)
As Talão noticed, it sounds a bit confusing at the beginning. I think the issue is that we can't hear the meter very well. I had to look at the score and was surprised to find that it's in 3/4. I can imagine that such an etude with long runs of triplets is quite challenging. I just finished one like that myself (May Morning by Charles Gounod) and it's difficult to keep it flowing evenly throughout the piece while maintaining the steady beat. The second one was very nice. I think it's the ideal tempo.
Thanks for your detailed comment! It might be the crushed first few notes that put the listener on the wrong leg but I may also need some accents somewhere to help the listener.

Last edited by wouter79; 08/22/21 02:20 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by barbaram
5. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) (to do)

I’m entertained by the quote:
“At a time of universal decadence like the present, when art has fallen as low as it inevitably must whenever public opinion and the moral tone of society have become debased” 
I doubt there has ever been a time when there isn’t some cohort of society expressing precisely this idea :-)

:-)

Originally Posted by peterws
5 Wouter79

Darn good exercise for one's fingers. The second part was really nice and had a chunky feel to it which was played to perfection with good dynamics. Well done.

peter glad that you liked the 2nd part!

Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Nicely done. Loved the 2nd part after 1:20 most as it was executed very clear and controlled with a well rounded interpretation. Enjoyed the changes from legato to staccato. About the first part I had the impression it was a bit too challenging. As this seem to be extraordinary tricky you managed to made it through with a quite high speed. As a piano player I was impressed by that, but from a listeners perspective, I would have preferred a slower tempo with some more control.
Waldi, thanks for your detailed comments! Good that you like the 2nd piece. About the first piece, yes it was challenging, but I think I had it right.

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) I can’t find any pulse in Hill and Dale and the rhythm sounds off. It would sound better if the rhythm was correct and you played at a slower tempo. Not sure why that happened because Ballet has a clear, steady pulse.
Pianogrl thanks for your input! Maybe what happened is that there are insufficient pointers to the main beat. For the tempo, I think this is the right speed.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by lilypad
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Thank you for my first introduction to Heller's music. I'm halfway through reading 'A Grand Obsession' where I heard about Grotrian pianos for the first time. I really like the sound of yours. 

lilypad, nice to hear. I didn't know this "grand obsession" story so I searched a bit. I suppose you refer to " Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey" by Perri Knize where Knize tries to recover her Grotrian's sound smile Yes I did a long search before I found my piano and luckily for me it sounds as good or better than in the showroom. I hear that distinct Grotrian sound better in the older Grotrians than in the new models. Also my Grotrian was completely restored, with lighter hammers. And having an excellent tech and tuner also are essential to get the sound you want.

Originally Posted by Calavera
I liked the second piece better. I enjoyed its melody and quaint tone.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by facdo
I love this collection of etudes and the No.20, Ballet, might just be my absolute favorite. It is nice that you are sharing these pieces on the recitals. I really liked your performance of the No.20, but the 24 I guess there is still a bit of work to improve the evenness of those arpeggios. In any case, I love that you are picking these etudes for the recitals. Thanks for sharin
Good to hear! Maybe unfortunately I don't hear this unevenness.

Originally Posted by Rachtoven
5. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)

That was a very nice performance of the Ballet, and everything I hear of Heller is enjoyable and well-composed. 
rachtoven thanks!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SMA55
Hallelujah!  I'm seeing much less fluff and superficial pats on the back in the comments on these pieces, and much more meaningful and thoughtful feedback. This leads me to want to resume providing feedback myself. So here's my next few comments. (If I offend anyone, let me know, and I'll do my best not to comment on your submissions in the future. Deal?)

Your “Over Hill and Dale” is markedly uneven in the right hand throughout. I’m afraid you don’t have a handle on the timing of the right hand’s incessant triplets. So your attempting to play the piece even close to the required allegro tempo is premature. My suggestion is obviously to work on those triplets in isolation at a much slower tempo and gradually increase the tempo only when they’re rock solid at the preceding slower tempo. Only once you have that down pat are you allowed to come out of isolation. ?
Your “Ballet” is much more competently performed. It’s a beautiful piece, and it was a joy to hear you perform it. Good job!

LOL maybe you're right, les pats on the back and more thoughtful feedback here :-) Maybe I should consider posting feedback again.

Thanks for your detailed feedback! Good to hear you like the ballet and thanks for the compliments.

This timing issue is a tricky one. Thanks for your suggestion on how to work on this.

Unfortunately I don't hear it. I think it's related to my issues speeding up the scales, it took me years to get the a few scales at a decent speed. Years. Not weeks or months. Just a few scales. But even then, I don't know what the problem is. And even now I can't play these scales completely consistent, some days are good, some are bad.

Slowing down does nothing unless you know what you are working on, and I don't hear anything to work on. Some teachers I had also kept me playing scales I think also for this reason. I suspect one teacher even stopped teaching me over frustration to get this fixed. I think the only option is keep pushing and hoping it will gradually get better.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
This timing issue is a tricky one.
Unfortunately I don't hear it. I think it's related to my issues speeding up the scales, it took me years to get the a few scales at a decent speed. Years. Not weeks or months. Just a few scales. But even then, I don't know what the problem is. And even now I can't play these scales completely consistent, some days are good, some are bad.

Slowing down does nothing unless you know what you are working on, and I don't hear anything to work on. Some teachers I had also kept me playing scales I think also for this reason. I suspect one teacher even stopped teaching me over frustration to get this fixed. I think the only option is keep pushing and hoping it will gradually get better.

I reckon this is an issue with many of us. I've looked at YT vids, how to play fast runs up and down the keyboard, that sort o' thing. And in so may classical pieces you have this virtuoso flourish at the end or even throughout, requiring just that.
I too have tried!
Maybe I'll give it another go, but I wonder if it's something you have, or something you haven't.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Peter, FAIK everyone has to practice scales so fast playing is not something you have. But you have to be able to *hear* an issue before you can do anything. My hope now is that you get better hearing at it once you get at these speeds, hence my attempt to keep pushing. But it's a VERY slow progress, think years.

S
S
Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by SMA55
Hallelujah!  I'm seeing much less fluff and superficial pats on the back in the comments on these pieces, and much more meaningful and thoughtful feedback. This leads me to want to resume providing feedback myself. So here's my next few comments. (If I offend anyone, let me know, and I'll do my best not to comment on your submissions in the future. Deal?)

Your “Over Hill and Dale” is markedly uneven in the right hand throughout. I’m afraid you don’t have a handle on the timing of the right hand’s incessant triplets. So your attempting to play the piece even close to the required allegro tempo is premature. My suggestion is obviously to work on those triplets in isolation at a much slower tempo and gradually increase the tempo only when they’re rock solid at the preceding slower tempo. Only once you have that down pat are you allowed to come out of isolation. ?
Your “Ballet” is much more competently performed. It’s a beautiful piece, and it was a joy to hear you perform it. Good job!

LOL maybe you're right, les pats on the back and more thoughtful feedback here :-) Maybe I should consider posting feedback again.

Thanks for your detailed feedback! Good to hear you like the ballet and thanks for the compliments.

This timing issue is a tricky one. Thanks for your suggestion on how to work on this.

Please see the private message I sent.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
03 SMA55 - Mozart Sonata "facile" No doubt, you are a fine pianist, and Mozart is always rather difficult. I would just like to post the impression I have from your interpretation of the 2nd movement (I have played myself). First, I think some recerb (added with Audacity) would improve the sound of your recording considerably; I was surprised that the melody is not really "singing" well, though your piano is top class. Second, I have the feeling the Andante should be played a bit faster; in your rendition, the "andante" walking tempo is based on eights, whereas I think it should rely on the fourths (i.e. fourths=76). Third, sorry, I do not mean to be impolite, I am just posting my subjective impression, IMHO you are lacking any lyrical feeling in this movement, do not yet seem to have discovered the beauty of the melody and play this piece just correctly from a technical point of view but with no dynamics and expression. The Alberti bass sounds all the same over the whole piece and gets quite boring after a while. The discussion room of the online recitals has one major disadvantage, we just have a lot of talking here; but if we met in person, I could show you at the piano how I would play this piece as well as you could show me how you would improve my own playing on the piece I submitted. Greetings from Germany.

S
S
Originally Posted by Pianist685
03 SMA55 - Mozart Sonata "facile" No doubt, you are a fine pianist, and Mozart is always rather difficult. I would just like to post the impression I have from your interpretation of the 2nd movement (I have played myself). First, I think some recerb (added with Audacity) would improve the sound of your recording considerably; I was surprised that the melody is not really "singing" well, though your piano is top class. Second, I have the feeling the Andante should be played a bit faster; in your rendition, the "andante" walking tempo is based on eights, whereas I think it should rely on the fourths (i.e. fourths=76). Third, sorry, I do not mean to be impolite, I am just posting my subjective impression, IMHO you are lacking any lyrical feeling in this movement, do not yet seem to have discovered the beauty of the melody and play this piece just correctly from a technical point of view but with no dynamics and expression. The Alberti bass sounds all the same over the whole piece and gets quite boring after a while. The discussion room of the online recitals has one major disadvantage, we just have a lot of talking here; but if we met in person, I could show you at the piano how I would play this piece as well as you could show me how you would improve my own playing on the piece I submitted. Greetings from Germany.

Thank you! I've sent you a PM.

A
A
Some new comments from my side

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1 This is my favorite Satie piece so I am always happy when I get to listen to it. Lovely piece selection wink I liked that you kept a nice steady tempo, there is no feeling of rushing or losing the beat all throughout. I hope that you continue working on this MarieJ. It is for sure a keeper in your repertoire and it is in my opinion totally worth the effort to keep polishing it little by little. Lovely :))

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2 I loved this one dumka!! Awesome playing. I actually check the score while listening. I liked a lot your use of dynamics. and the way you played with the different voices. Your phrasing was very good all throughout and I liked the way you took time to shape the phrases specially before the main theme returned. I enjoyed this one a lot. Scriabin is such an interesting composer. Hopefully soon I will be able to tackle some of his compositions.

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3 Thank you for submitting a nocturne. They are such gems that is always great to have at least one in the submissions. I think you are on the right track to get an amazing rendition of this piece. I liked your sense of rhythm, and how you managed to join together the very distinct sections of this piece. As a suggestion if I may, I would try to add more dynamic contrast to the first section with the repeated motifs (the slurs), trying also to give a bit more direction and rubato to the phrases. This applies also to the articulation of the accentuated slurs, trying to enhance the accentuated 1/4-notes and softening the following 1/2 notes. The choral-like part was lovely. I would focus on voicing the chords a bit more to highlight the melody. Great job Jason, I very much enjoyed it :))

37. Purrblast - Sonatina in A minor (Op. 27. No. 18) What a cool sonatina! You left hand was on fire!! I loved how you kept the left hand steady with those staccatos but gave it also the chance to join the right hand as well when the dynamics required it. I was following the score and I liked a lot as well how you gave direction and articulated the different phrases. Lovely submission! I need to explore that Op 27 a bit more. Thank you for sharing. PS: the lighting in your video was spot on smile

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Once more a wonderful recital; I'm so happy to be part of this. Thanks to every performer, and to Sam for the heavy lifting.

Here's my first batch of comments:

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu
Rapid finger work there. Very impressive stuff.

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545
Really excellent performance, and a very fine audio quality also.

Well done! The first part was amazingly fast (kudos), but the music didn't strike my fancy. The second part was delightful however.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1
The Gnossienes are great, and your rendition of this one is very fine indeed ... actually, I like your version better than the Ciccolini version that I have on CD!

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella
Initially it sounds as if you're literally channeling Satie, then later it sounds as if he came back to Earth and got inspired by Hovhaness and modern minimalists. Mesmerizing.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett)
Andree is not someone I ever heard about before, so this was extra interesting. Very dramatic rendition.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1
Elegant and subtle playing, and mysterious (but I can't wrap my head around Scriabins music, so mysterious was inevitable). smile

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576
Harpsichord, and the corresponding era in music will probably never win me completely over. But damn, this was impressive! It sounded like a radio-broadcast matinee concert from a church somewhere.

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land
Scott is new to me ... I think ... At any rate your playing had excellent drive and energy, yet retained an interesting quirky feel to the music.

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779)
Amazing performance for so little experience. Great evenness, and a very good flow.

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor
Nice to see some Franck in there. Fine playing, conveying clearly an almost sombre mood.

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2
Another mysterious Scriabin piece. Played absolutely beautifully (and I really liked the overall sound; great atmosphere).

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly
This is so near perfect it sounds as if coming straight off a major label CD. Excellent performance!

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor
This was clearly a deeply felt performance, and the feeling made the jump to this listener. Really nice work!

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth
This was good; the melody came across exactly like I think it should. Maybe a bit too liberal use of the sustain pedal.

23. peterws - Winter
Very nice playing, and I have to say the "Album for the young" really got the best of Tjaikovskys melodies for piano, so if you were to knock yourself out on those, I would completely understand it.

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso
What a massive effort! And the final result, from a listeners perspective, was pure pleasure. Brilliant!

25. Ganddalf - Tango
Well I didn't know the work before, but I found everything to be expertly and elegantly performed, so whatever technical shortcomings you are thinking of, they certainly are well hidden. smile

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
24 PianogrlNW (Ellen) Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso

Aaah, thanks, just what I needed right now after a busy week. Very nice playing and excellent articulation. Love the alternating and mixed staccato and legato with very little pedaling. :-)

Didn't you want to add the alla turca part? Not that I miss it after your piece, but just curious.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My last comments! Another great recital in the books - so much excellent playing at all levels...

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky What fun! I loved it. A great end to the recital for me, since I am working backwards and you are the last I listened to. Bravo - had to laugh at the ending!

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu A really admirable attempt at a very difficult piece. Not perfect, of course, and you will probably get a lot of flack for just trying it. My suggestion is to take what you have learned and move on to pieces that are simpler and do not consume all your time! But well done, and welcome to the recitals!

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 Yeah, that Alberti bass is a crippler, especially at a fast tempo. I had to choose a Mozart sonata to do at school, and I avoided this one like the proverbial plague. I did k332 instead, which has very little Alberti bass. My arthritis just can't handle it. But your scale passages are great - very smooth. A few notes stand out here and there. I have heard some truly bad performances of this at school and in student recitals - you are much better than most of the undergrads I heard attempt this. The 2nd mvt is good - my suggestion is to use a bit more articulation - those ascending scales - separate the notes - put some space between them. There are other places where that would be useful too. The last mvt sounded good - just a few spots that didn't seem prepared to the same level for that tempo, but overall it could probably be faster. Allegretto Grazioso right - I think? So not allegro, but everything Mozart seems better faster. But excellent job overall and a significant achievement! Now move on to something non-Mozart...

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Whoa, slow down! I think others have already mentioned some confusion at the beginning of the first one. My suggestion is to just slow it down, at least until you get it under control. Playing it at a manageable tempo is maybe not as fast as you want to go, but it will probably sound a lot better. Now the second piece is excellent - none of those problems. Great ending!

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc It does sound like fun! And it sounds like you are having a great time playing it. I have some Musica Ferrum books, but not this one. The owner used to post here, but I haven't seen anything from him in a while. Well done!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
D
Thanks so much, AndresVel, Sam S, Qwerty53, facdo, Rachtoven, MarieJ, QuentinP, peterws, ranjit, tyschoco, Wie Waldi, and lilypad for your generous comments on my Scriabin submission--even from those of you who are not fans of Scriabin smile. I myself had never been into Scriabin much, but my teacher suggested his preludes, and I was interested in trying a new composer. This prelude is considered not too difficult, and indeed technically it's very doable, but, as I mentioned in my submission, it turned out to be harder than it looked at first--mainly at the musical level, with all the repetitions, but even learning the notes properly took me longer than I expected; there was something a bit different and unpredictable about the melody and harmony there.

I'm so grateful for all the comments and feel a bit guilty not to be able to provide feedback this time, but for me as an educator, whose semester is starting next week, and with two children, one about to leave for college and the other just having started a new school, this is the craziest time of the year. I always listen to all the submissions and have started this time as well--and always appreciate the skill and the dedication that goes into each recording. The only brief comment I have is for Ellen's Mozart submission, because I played the entire sonata a couple of years ago. I didn't take it to the performance level and never recorded it, so I know how challenging it is, especially the last fast variation--congratulations, Ellen, on such a delightful and elegant performance! I think you'll enjoy the 2nd movement quite a bit, not to mention the famous third one.

And congratulations to everybody on another great recital.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Continuing with my second batch of comments:

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3
That was very fine playing; there is so much going on in that work, and you held it all together. Really well done!

28. rwsavory - The Poet Speaks - Op 15 "Scenes from Childhood"
I love this piece; it's so deep. Because of the slow and dreamy movement it's also rather tricky to play (I have tried, and failed). You have clearly mastered it, and it sounded just right.

29. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Consolation, Op. 30, No. 3
Might just be my favourite Mendelssohn piano work, and you performed it beautifully, so this listener is happy. smile

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer
This would be good for someone with years of experience. For only seven months, it's mindblowing.

32. Maira713 - Op. 1 No. 4 ("24 Short and Easy Pieces for Keyboard")
Both work and composer are new to me, so thank you for choosing this piece. I think this tempo works perfectly fine, and your timing is very accurate. Excellent work!

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5
Clementi is not on my regular playlist, and I could not notice where your "tempo liberties" were happening. It seemed to me you kept it flowing at a good pace. Good work!

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3
Insanely rapid arpeggios! How such a feat is even possible I have yet to discover. Impressive!

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1
This was just lovely playing. I like the tempo used, it allows the piece to "breathe tranquility" (if this makes sense).

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements)
This was a very fine performance in it's own right, and all the more so in the light of your brief experience. And the sound quality was quite excellent.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
F
F
Last batch of comments:

25. Ganddalf - Tango
I like how you pick less familiar works for these recitals. In this case, although I think this piece is quite famous it still fits that category as Albeniz is less performed than most of the popular composers. I think that if you were picking popular pieces, instead of exposing your technical shortcomings as you mentioned, you would be showing off your skills. As always, your performance is excellent, and you play everything at a very high level. It is a pleasure to listen, so thank you for your submission.

26. lilypad - The Bass Man Walketh
I love this “walking bass” style and this looks indeed very fun to play. Very nice performance. Well done!

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3
Very nice! Always a pleasure to listen to a Chopin nocturne. I think you have complete technical mastery of this piece and musically you are on the right track. But there is one thing which I think it was missing, and it is also something I struggle a lot in the nocturnes that I learned, which is bringing up that nocturne quality. This is a bit of a subjective and elusive musical aspect, but as I understand it is closely related to dynamics, having a more intimate touch. In your case, I think that would translate into having an overall more tender and cantabile touch, with softer dynamics. Sometimes that is extremely hard to achieve, but I am just mentioning it as I think you could benefit from this feedback. You might not change anything your are doing currently in this piece, but just think about this for the next nocturnes or the other pieces with similar style. I think mastering that “nocturne” quality is almost impossible, but we can develop that over time and get better at evoking those musical aspects. In any case, I really enjoyed listening to your playing and I am looking forward to listen to more of your submissions in the upcoming recitals.

28. rwsavory - The Poet Speaks - Op 15 "Scenes from Childhood"
Oh, this is such a beautiful piece and your playing really captures the essence of it. Really well played and great piano tone.

29. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Consolation, Op. 30, No. 3
I love Mendelssohn’s SWW and this was the second one I learned. It is a short piece, but with deceptively difficult musical aspects. I think you handled those musical challenges very well and I really enjoyed listening to your performance. I can’t hear an issue in your chords, as you mentioned in the comment. One of the challenges of this piece is voicing the melody on those chords and I think you did that quite well. Perhaps in one or another chord that voicing was not so clear, but I think that was not an issue at all and your performance was very solid and refined. Made me want to listen you playing more SWW smile

I can’t believe that you have less than 1 year of experience and never had proper lessons. That is an amazing progress! Your performance is very good, but be careful with excessive tension in your hands. As I can see from the video, it seems that your left hand is a bit tense, because you keep your thumb “armed” when it is not being used and sometimes you raise your fingers up, instead of keeping then relaxed on the keys. The technique for piano uses a lot of weight transferring, arm and wrist movements, instead of relying only on finger action. It seems that you are relying mostly on finger action, which I would assume is the predominant technique for accordion. For piano that technique is important, but we generally complement using other types of movements as well. So just keep that in mind and maybe you could exercise those other basic movements with other pieces. Shorter, easier pieces are good for working on establishing a good foundation for the piano technique, so I would recommend not skipping those. I started with Bartok’s Mikrokosmos, book 1, and I think it is a good collection to work on those fundamentals. In any case, I don’t want to take away your merit of learning a rather complex piece and being able to play it very well so soon in your piano journey. That is awesome, keep it up!

31. winterflower - I soar now the embers have cooled
It took me a while to realize that you were improvising. Very cohesive and harmonical for an improvisation. That was very nice and I would love to hear more of your improvisations.

32. Maira713 - Op. 1 No. 4 ("24 Short and Easy Pieces for Keyboard")
Such a simple, but lovely piece and you played it well. But just one thing to work on, try playing the left-hand softer, so the melody in the right hand can sing better. You will get that dynamic control with time. Looking at the video I can see that your form is excellent, and your technique is clean and without excessive tension. I am looking forward to see your progress.

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5
I love these sonatinas. They have great pedagogical value and are also very impressive sounding pieces. Your performance was very good, and I enjoyed listening, but I think you could work a bit more on differentiating the dynamics of the two hands. In some parts, such as the passage with Alberti bass, your left hand was almost at the same level as the melody in the right hand. I think your interpretation would raise to a higher level if your left hand was a bit softer overall. But your playing was very clean and well articulate, it is just a small detail on the dynamics that I think you could do to improve even more.

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3
Wow, that was very impressive. So many arpeggios and you handled them really well. I also liked how you were able to sing the melody, really bringing the “song” aspect of this piece. Amazing work.

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1
Oh, that was beautiful! Such tenderness and a really wonderful dolce cantabile melody. Your performance is very clean, technically and dynamically accurate, and your sense of phrasing is excellent. If you don’t mind a suggestion, and this is really the only point I think you could address to improve your interpretation even further, I think you could use a bit of rubato. It is hard to point out exactly how and where, but I guess that in the transitions between motifs and according to the phrasing. I think rubato is the only thing preventing your interpretation of reaching a “professional level”. That might not even be your goal, but I think your playing is that close. But really, excellent playing, thanks for sharing!

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements)
Really well played. Such a clean and expressive performance. Bravo! The only issue I can think of is regarding the dynamic balance between the hands. You are singing the right hand melody just fine, but I think your performance would benefit from an overall softer left-hand. I think I am commenting this a lot on this recital and it might be something that the MP3 audio compressing is messing up. I am only pointing out because I am sure you have the technical capability to do that and I think it is something that you can easily address that will raise your performance to an even higher level. On a side note, it is very interesting that you are documenting your progress with the number of hours. I am subscribing to your channel and looking forward to see your playing at 10000 hours smile

37. Purrblast - Sonatina in A minor (Op. 27. No. 18)
I think this was the last piece I learned as a kid, before stop playing for a very long time. I remember that I had such a hard time trying to play it and I think I got frustrated and quit. Your play it at a much higher level than I did. It is amazing how you bring the fine nuances on dynamics, articulation and phrasing. Really excellent performance. Awesome work, keep it up.

38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2
My own performance. I think this recording was a bit premature as the B section and coda wasn’t quite ready. I hope to keep playing it and do another recording on the future. Hopefully with the other 3 impromptus from the set.

39. Snejana - Contemplation
That was beautiful! It doesn’t sound like an improvisation. I can see that this is a skill that you can practice and train like any other skill. I think your efforts in exercising this skill are really paying off.

40. PikaPianist - Waltz Op. 39, No. 9
Oh, such a fun little gem played at a very high level. It is amazing how these simple works can sound incredible when played by very skilled pianists. This was a joy to listen, so thanks for sharing.

41. Augustina - Expression
Beautiful piece and very well played. I didn’t know the composer, but sounds like Einaudi. Thanks for introducing me to one of her lovely works.

42. Amy H - Story of You
Your playing is so expressive, and you have a wonderful delicate touch. This was such a pleasure to listen that I had to play it twice in a row. So beautiful, thank you for sharing!

43. selfishplayer - Keyboard concerto no.7 in g minor BWV - 1058 first movement - Allegro piano solo
That is a very impressive piece and you handled its complexity quite well. Great work!

44. Rachtoven - Consolation No. 3
I love this piece and I wanted to play it so many times. But I was always scared by the musical challenges. It is so hard to do that left hand figuration softly while singing a delicate melody on top of that, and you did that beautifully! I can’t believe that you only have 3 years of piano experience. Bravo!

45. tyschoco - Sonatina in G Major, Op 55 No.2 1st Movement, Allegretto
Very nice! Your performance super clean, vibrant, well-articulated and well-phrased. Your technique seems really good ,and you have a lot of finger dexterity. I am sure you will reach a high level at the piano in a short amount of time. The only thing I think you could do to raise your performance to an even higher level would be working on the dynamic balance between hands. I think you could play the left-hand a bit softer in the passages that it is doing the accompaniment. In some places, the left-hand has a melodic role, and you are emphasizing that well. But as an accompaniment, for instance, in the Alberti bass figurations, I think it could be a bit softer. Just a small detail for you to think about. Maybe it is just audio compression from the recording process that is limiting the dynamic range. But in any case, that is a good skill to develop and you should have full control over the dynamics in both hands if you want to improve your playing as much as possible. It takes time to achieve, but I am sure you will get there. In any case, really great work, keep it up!

46. Pathbreaker - Alte Liebe
This is a really beautiful piece and your playing is fantastic. A real pleasure to listen. Thanks for sharing!

Again, thank you to everyone who participated in this recital. I had a great time listening smile

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

Thanks PianogrlNW, peterws, Rachtoven, Sam S and MarieJ for your time listening and for your kind words and compliments.

@AndresVel: same situation in my place, except I am not that much commited to piano-playing as you (no teacher, no course, no method book, ...cheap digi). My friends and relatives don't play instruments. Some did as kid, but that's long time ago and gone. And I love this forum here, much more than the German ones. (Sad to say, German forum is a ideology war)

Originally Posted by peterws
30 Wie Waldi
Decent job here, steadily played and . . .entertaining! Nice nice! A bit more pfazz, maybe?
Neither me nor my dictionary know you mean with "pfazz" confused, but I am working on it. Promise! smile

Originally Posted by tyschoco
I have to say given you are relatively early in the learning journey, this is a very good attempt. Very steady and rather clean. And certainly even if the piece is slightly simplified, it is still no small feat to play it as it is 4 minutes long with quite a few technical difficulties. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I think as you get better, when you revisit this piece in a year or two, you will be able to put more energy and liveliness into this piece. Great listen!
Thanks a lot, tyschoco. Indeed, I am very proud of this. And I hope this will get better when I revisit it. But then I will try out the original version, at cost of liveliness again. But as I want to keep this piece in my repertoire, that energy should come over time from alone.

Originally Posted by Ted
Oops, I forgot to comment on this one. Speaking as one who has had a lifetime infatuation with ragtime I think you instinctively have the spirit and rhythm of it, which is the one thing many players who attempt it lack, so you have a distinct advantage. All you have to do is gradually work your way through rags of increasing technical difficulty, taking care to bring out the music and dodge the ninety miles an hour trap, regrettably fashionable again in some circles. More fine ragtime has been created in the last thirty or so years than in the whole of its history, so you are not limited to Joplin, Scott and Lamb. David Thomas Roberts, Frank French, Hal Isbitz, Reginald Robinson, Scott Kirby and several others with prolific output await the pleasure of your exploration. The point is that you have the rhythm and phrasing of these things, which is rarer among pianists than most people suppose.
Thank you very much, Ted for your in-depth comment. That makes hope to continue, as I am right now stuck into learning something new. It's frustrating to start over from scratch with a new piece, being slow again. So I must do more basic stuff now, learn to read music and the like. But this feels weird as The Entertainer is much more advanced and already kind of polished. In comparison to that, everything new makes me feel like a toddler. Anyway, the next rag on my todo-list is Easy Winners. (It says something with easy in the title, so why not?) And I very much like Kristen Mosca's interpretation of "This is Me". A very beautiful arrangement that starts contemporary and ends up as ragtime. Maybe in two years or so... And I will have a look on the composers you named.

Originally Posted by MarieJ
30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer wow That takes bravery, to submit the very first piano piece you ever attempted. And what an amazing achievement in only 7 months. I’m looking forward to hearing lots more from you!
Thanks for putting so much pressure on me. crazy

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
First batch,

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
Well done and good recording.

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu
Beautiful ! I hope you'll be there for the next recital.

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545
Nice performance !

04. Sam S - Etude 2
Melancholic and beautiful.

I enjoyed your piece. I didn't know this composer.

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc
Well played.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1
Well done and I'm not tire of listen to Eric Satie

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella
Wonderful composition !

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei
Interesting piece. Well done !

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett)
Nice playing,

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1
Beautiful !

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576
Harpsichord ! Well played.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission