2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
HZPiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Stu Harrison compares the Kawai Novus NV5 internal sound with VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 and VSL Yamaha CFX.

The best part is in the second half of the video.

Which piano sound would you prefer?

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

M
M
I like the Kawai. But then wouldn’t a CA79/99 sound the same if you’re listening on headphones? (putting aside the action which would obviously be a factor)

I do wonder if anyone will come out with an upgradeable sound box - they’re just computers in there after all - so it would be interseting if we could upgrade them by downloading new samples or new rendering algorithms.

Or an independent company that could produce a VST box - small form factor PC, runs headless but you manage from a web browser for setup, you connect via MIDI out, and then through the line ins on your piano to replace the built-in sounds with new ones. Feels like there might be a market for that?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Both ideas have been discussed here ... for over a decade.

The latter notion (a VST box) was in development five or eight years ago. It was demonstrated ... and it then faded into obscurity and was never released. I guess there was little or no market for it.

If this is a quote-like thread, from best to worst:
NV5 > VSL > Ravenscroft

I found the Ravenscroft to have too much of reverb. Sounded most artificial for me. And "thinner" than VSL. NV5 on the other hand was hard to compare, because its samples came from a more mellow grand. Hence, I liked NV5 the most.

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
NV5 > VSL > Ravenscroft

I found the Ravenscroft to have too much of reverb. Sounded most artificial for me. And "thinner" than VSL. NV5 on the other hand was hard to compare, because its samples came from a more mellow grand. Hence, I liked NV5 the most.

With both hardware and software pianos, you've got two issues concerning how good they are to play:
1) How the hardware /software interface meshes
2) Most hardware and software sound sources are all very tweekable, so it should be possible to dial down reverb (perhaps not on the Ravenscar oft).

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My opinion on their sound:
VSL>Ravenscroft >Nova 5

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
R
R
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
NV5 > VSL > Ravenscroft

I don't know about to much reverb, but it can be thin at times. Still my favorite for play-ability and sound.

I think what he was trying to show and I agree is that there is very little need for VST's with the higher market DP.

It really comes down to what what you prefer to hear and not the quality of the sound.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I do wonder if anyone will come out with an upgradeable sound box - they’re just computers in there after all - so it would be interseting if we could upgrade them by downloading new samples or new rendering algorithms.

Yes.

https://www.dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-sx7/?lang=en

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Also, the Yamaha Motif XS available in rack form can have external samples loaded, and patches/registrations created to wrap internal effects etc around them. Here are some examples of non-builtin digital instrument sounds you can load into a Motif XS rack:

https://ksounds.com/yamaha-motif-xs-format-sound-libraries/

Roland SRX cards were a similar concept but with instrument libraries distributed on hardware cards.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission