2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (bxrdad1, cygnusdei, Bill McKaig,RPT, Damien PG, clothearednincompo, Animisha, CyberGene, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
More comments, mine in the spirit of greeting the performers after a Recital, rather than pretending to conduct a master class (as if I could!!):

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor Very impressive for having been playing a relatively short time. Nice to hear a piece that is not often heard.

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2 This recital is persuading me that I need to hear more Scriabin. Your Prelude sounds great; nice playing, nice recording.

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly I wish I could just wake up some morning and be able to play ragtime like this! Plenty of freshness and exuberance. It makes me smile; I thank you!

19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements Ted, your titles have me as curious as your improvisations. Is this title from James Joyce, or Cortes? Seems the latter was fond of wet pavements. Perhaps I am passing a building full of rehearsal studios, hearing fragments of music from many different decades and eras. What’s the aural equivalent of “glimpses”?

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor Bach gives room for so much! This is very meditative. Perhaps slower than I have heard it elsewhere, but your tempo works to share its delicate loveliness.

21. Calavera - Theme of Love Played with drama and flair! Well done!

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth Bravo for boldness in repertoire choices! Sometimes that teaches us what we need to learn next: a lesson I encounter over and over myself. Your tempo seems respectable and it sounds like you have both the goals in mind and the motivation in your spirit to keep playing this. Have fun!

23. peterws - Winter I can almost hear those giant icicles falling! Great choice; it is beautiful. I have been exploring various “children’s albums” myself; some wonderful music there! How aboout Prokofiev?

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso Ellen, your playing always opens my ears wider! Looking forward to hearing the whole sonata.

25. Ganddalf - Tango The freedom in rhythm and dynamics that you mention sound wonderful. I could listen to this over and over.

26. lilypad - The Bass Man Walketh Nice job! This is making me get up off the couch and move around! I’ll be back later!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by peterws
I've seen some of these in-depth reviews and I'm insanely jealous.
I've not actually received any! I know my birthday's a couple o' months away but . . .(shrug) smile
Alright you asked for it... wink

23. peterws - Winter
You chose a really fast tempo for this! Not that it sounds bad at that tempo, mind you. You played it beautifully with a signing tone. The balance between the hands is very good. Also, I love the sound of your piano. But I tried following the music in your video and found it a bit strange. You seem to be almost stopping at the bars marked with thick pencil lines. I agree there should be some rubato but I think your tempo fluctuates too much and it's hard to follow. Still, overall it was very nice to listen. BTW, I laughed at the title of your video. It says "Winter morn Tchai". In Russian tchai means "tea" so I pictured someone drinking a cup of tea looking at a sunny winter scenery outside. I don't think this quite what Tchaikovsky had in mind though. wink

Thanks for that, Qaz! I did listen to other versions when it was too late to change mine! Must admit to being happy with the gaps (rubato ha ha) but it might've helped if they sounded a tad more like "phrasing" but, well, a guy can't have everything!
(Tbh, I found it hard to play. My brain had to have catch-up time, and still does on that piece)

Last edited by peterws; 08/20/21 05:06 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
23. peterws - Winter I can almost hear those giant icicles falling! Great choice; it is beautiful. I have been exploring various “children’s albums” myself; some wonderful music there! How aboout Prokofiev?

Love Prokofiev; the Russian Recital we did was awesome. Thx for the comment!

"[Linked Image]"
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
23. peterws - Winter Thanks for the video with the music, but now I know that you added an extra bass note at the end. You just had to do that didn't you? I like the approach you took - a bit loose. I haven't listened to a pro play it either, so I am not biased - but I don't know how its "supposed" to sound - probably a good thing. Thanks for playing it!

Sam

It's a very good thing you don't know how it's supposed to sound, Sam. I took some liberties with the music too .blush

"[Linked Image]"
R
R
Some more comments:

19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements

Nice improvisation. I’m impressed with your organization; it had the arc of a composition.

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor

This was a very soulful and enjoyable performance. Thanks for submitting it.

21. Calavera - Theme of Love

Wow! That was a near perfect performance of a beautiful piece. And the dynamic contrasts were amazing.

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1

This was a very nice performance and definitely not too slow. Thanks for submitting it.

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements)

You did a really nice job with this one. I enjoyed it.

37. Purrblast - Sonatina in A minor (Op. 27. No. 18)

I really like this piece. It has a nice swing to it. Well done!

38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2

You really challenged yourself with this piece and triumphed! I’m amazed at the quality of your playing. Bravo!

39. Snejana - Contemplation

This sounds like a well-thought-out composition; you must have a well-organized mind to improvise like this. Bottom line, it’s beautiful and your playing was top notch.

T
T
23. peterws - Winter
I really appreciated the voicing work you put into this piece, the dotted eighth note into the sixteenth note motif is well tracked throughout and you even brought out the middle voice on occasion which is very interesting. You play expressively and with good shaping. My only critique is perhaps the piece started off too energetic? I find it rather curious why your score is notated as allegro as the first thing that strikes me on a winter morning is something other than "lively" lol. (other editions seem to have notated it andante instead)
Perhaps as a result, you have to slow down the middle of the piece to change the mood? I am unsure if this is what your teacher intended (if you have one). Personally neither i or my teacher would take that much liberty with the tempo and pauses you added in unless explicitly stated by the composers. However to each his own, Good Job!

43. selfishplayer - Keyboard concerto no.7 in g minor BWV - 1058 first movement - Allegro piano solo
I have to say that this is a really tough submission and its very admirable you tried to challenge yourself to submit it in one take. I like the energy your placed into the piece and and your attempts at shaping and dynamics. I will leave some critique below

I want to first state that you seem relatively aware of your own flaws based on your own post and i don't want to come off as rubbing salt in your wound and normally would refrain from going too far into critique given the general experience level we are at in this forum. Nonetheless i feel the need to list a few points based on your experience level you stated and the pieces you are tackling on your youtube channel which seem to imply you are far from a beginner level and a fairly seasoned player.
Firstly, there is a bit of unevenness in the fingerwork in the left hand especially. Perhaps stemming from this issue, important musical details such as the conversation between the voice as well musical direction in sequences, cadences etc are unfortunately missed out. The tempo tends to fluctuate and desyncs happen between the hands as well. This issue seems persistent in similar submissions on your youtube channel as well. I am unsure if you have a teacher already, if you do, please continue working with them to continue improving yourself! Otherwise, i highly suggest as you are getting into this territory of professional pieces played at an undergraduate conservatory level, that proper guidance is important here.

If i may add one additional thing that may be overstepping my boundaries a little, if i were to speak from the perspective of my own teacher, i believe it may be wise to look into playing pieces with less of a technical challenge at around a RCM level 8/9 such as Bach Sinfonias/Chopin nocturnes of that level etc. This may allow you to feel more comfortable at playing allowing your musical ideas (which you clearly are aware of) to shine through and provide less anxiety in "one take" situations like what you did. But if you already have professional advice, please disregard this comment.

44. Rachtoven - Consolation No. 3
I remember being given this by my teacher early on as a way to push me, it is a very beautiful piece, one that i wish to revisit one day when i can actually give it proper justice
You capture the mood of the piece rather well and maintain the appropriate dynamic level giving the piece its due introspective feel. Your touch is good for this piece and you have awareness for some of the phrasing and shaping in this piece and you follow the performance directions relative well. I'll leave some critique below
Firstly, i want to state it really was an Ernest effort and i know the struggles of this piece cause i spent a rather lengthy period of time on this as well. That being said, it also means we are both aware of the little blemishes but i'll list out my thoughts either way in the hopes that the feedback helps in some way!
It should be said your 2 against 3 poly-rhythm was rather consistent throughout the piece, but the (dreaded) 4 against 3 poly-rhythm was rather inconsistent as you took quite a bit of liberty with the tempo. From an interpretive stand point, there has to be more attention drawn to interesting sections of the piece, especially when interesting harmonies appear in the piece. Corresponding changes in tone color and mood can be brought out in tandem with this. The line could also be shaped more, giving more sense of direction and "arrival" points at the end of certain phrases. The whole bass notes could also have a deeper touch to allow the harmonic resonance be brought out more.

If you are learning under a teacher , please keep working with them, if you self learnt this, then i have to say this was a very impressive attempt and you may want to consider professional guidance since you have quite a few good things going for you. Pursing this piece, which is rated at RCM level 10 and any other pieces of this difficulty will require a good professional to teach you how to execute it even better. Look forward to hearing more!

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements I always look forward to your improvs Ted - they are such a blast. I wish you would make a video can we can see you do your thing!Sam
Thanks Sam. I fear the spectacle of my ursine form groping at the instrument might prove more of a detraction than an enhancement but I'll think about it.

Originally Posted by MarieJ
19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements To me this was evocative of a streetscape, impressions gathered from a wet night in a busy precinct. Rich textures - fascinating stuff.
Thanks Marie, that is how I reacted too on listening but strictly speaking it had not occurred to me until then.

19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements Ted, your titles have me as curious as your improvisations. Is this title from James Joyce, or Cortes? Seems the latter was fond of wet pavements. Perhaps I am passing a building full of rehearsal studios, hearing fragments of music from many different decades and eras. What’s the aural equivalent of “glimpses”?
I cannot think of a precise word for that. "Snippet" and "fragment" could be used but they have too general a connotation. No Jimmy Joyce this time, I happened to be looking at Cortes's glistening cityscapes while first listening to it and perceived a possible title. Really though, the best title would be whatever springs to your own mind. I attach titles solely as an aid to memory when wanting to locate a particular passage within over six hundred hours of recording and usually any nonsense will do. Very seldom do I use an a priori association as a stimulus.

Originally Posted by Rachtoven
19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements Nice improvisation. I’m impressed with your organization; it had the arc of a composition.
You see, this a perpetual puzzle to me. Half of my listeners say they can hear form and just as many assert that lack of structure is what puts them off. I realise that pattern is a much shallower property than form but all the same there is some deeper aspect about these reactions and how they vary among individuals which still eludes me. Thanks for listening.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
F
F
Thank you Sam S, peterws and Rachtoven for the kind feedback on my performance.
Also, thank you tyschoco for such detailed constructive feedback. You are right, the middle section needs a lot of work but I think it is only natural because I’ve been practicing it for less time. I spent about 2 months on the 1st part of the A section, but only about 20 days for the rest of the A section and the B section and coda. The piece wasn’t ready, but I wanted to make a recording for this recital, and was also useful for my teacher to give me feedback. But regarding tempo, that is pretty much the tempo I want. I think with a faster tempo it is so much harder to address the musical aspects, specially in the PP part of the A section. I like Sokolov interpretation, which is about the same tempo I am playing.

Here’s the 2nd batch of comments:

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land
This is a very interesting piece and your playing made me listen to more of Cyril Scott’s works. I actually didn’t know the composer, so thanks for introducing me to his music. I liked the dissonances, the modern harmonies and the “spaced out feeling” of this piece. I don’t have any reference for this, but I think your performance was amazing, borderline perfect. Bravo!

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779)
I have to say that your progress on the piano is amazing! You may see some people with 1 year of experience trying very difficult pieces, but in 99% of the cases the result is not good at all. I am much more impressed by someone playing progressively more difficult works as they get the experience for that, as you are doing. I played this piece before and I know how tricky it is. Your tempo is overall a bit slow, but that is good because you managed to play it very cleanly and evenly. Some people, like myself, rush for a faster tempo and the result is a mess. It takes discipline to stick to a tempo that you are comfortable, so keep doing that. I really liked your performance, but there is one very minor thing that I think you could work on to get your interpretation to another level. Perhaps you could work on that on the next inventions. It is the dynamic contrast between the voices. My teacher says that as a general rule for Bach you should put more emphasis on the voice that is playing the theme, so that emphasis will change between hands along the piece. But that is just a suggestion, since Bach didn’t notate anything on that. In any case, amazing work. Keep it up!

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude
Oh, this made me want to pick my guitar to jam with you. Very nice playing and really cool blues! Thanks for sharing.

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor
Very tender and soulful playing of a beautiful piece. You sound like you have more than 1.5 years of experience. Well done!

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2
I noticed that you are always bringing interesting pieces to the recital, so please keep doing that. Your playing is fantastic, and the piano tone is superb. I had to listen twice in a row because the only issue is that it is such a short piece.

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly
Listening to this I would never imagine that this is a Satie piece. I guess I don’t really know his works other from the famous “ambient” music. Such a cool and fun ragtime, thanks for introducing me to this piece. And your performance was amazing, really well played. Bravo!

19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements
I started to listen and immediately I knew this was a Ted Jones improvisation. It is so cool that you consistently submit these improvisations in every quarterly recital. I mentioned this before. I find your playing interesting but it is a bit too “avant garde” for my taste. But it is nice to hear and keep wondering where you going next, if you are going to develop on a new theme or bridge again to something different. Very interesting, please keep doing these recordings and sharing them with us smile

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor
Oh, I love this P&F so much! Your performance of the prelude is so beautiful. You really get the essence of this piece. I would love to hear you playing the fugue that follows. Are you planning on learning it as well? I wanted to play this, but the fugue really scared me off.

21. Calavera - Theme of Love
Wow, this was such a pleasure to listen! You play with such tenderness and high skill. Really amazing! That theme is strangely familiar, but I guess I never listened to the original song and that is just a nice catchy melody. Please keep sharing these video games and anime music, I really enjoy listening to your submissions!

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth
I love this waltz and it was the first Chopin that I learned. I remember that at the time it was super challenging to play and I couldn’t do much refinement to my interpretation. But after 1 year I picked up this piece again and it was so much easier to play and I could add so much more musicality and soul to it. Your performance was very nice considering your experience, but as you progress it will be easier to play this piece. I assure you that if you pick it up again in the future, after practicing lots of other pieces, it is going to be much easier to play and your interpretation will be great. For now, don’t worry too much about it and keep practicing and learning new pieces. But just one thing, be careful not to curl your fingers too much. I noticed in the video that they were almost pointing inwards to the palm of your hands. In general, you want to keep a nice arc with your hand, not too flat but not completely curled. I think that could help you have more control of dynamics and improved dexterity. In any case, I hope you keep learning the piano and I am looking forward to see your progress on the upcoming recitals smile

23. peterws - Winter
Tchaikovsky’s Album for the Young is such a cool set of little gems. It is nice for beginners to learn new techniques, but it is also nice for more experienced players such yourself to work on refining musical aspects to a high level. Your interpretation is really good, and you made me want to pick up this album and learn some more pieces. Thanks for sharing!

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso
Oh, this has to be one of the most beautiful themes Mozart ever wrote. I really love this piece and I used to listen to it a lot in my childhood. In my opinion, this 1st movement is so much better than the overplayed 3rd movement. I feel that it has to be played more often, so thank you for sharing your performance. I really enjoyed your playing and some variations, such as IV and VI, were particularly amazing. Bravo!

Last edited by facdo; 08/20/21 10:55 PM.

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by facdo
19. Ted Jones - Wet PavementsI started to listen and immediately I knew this was a Ted Jones improvisation. It is so cool that you consistently submit these improvisations in every quarterly recital. I mentioned this before. I find your playing interesting but it is a bit too “avant garde” for my taste. But it is nice to hear and keep wondering where you going next, if you are going to develop on a new theme or bridge again to something different. Very interesting, please keep doing these recordings and sharing them with us smile

Avant garde ? That's a new one, I haven't been called that before although a fellow of the Royal Schools once told me I was the first example he had met of a genuine musical pervert. How I inwardly relished that description ! To be thought interesting is good enough for me and as long as the "ayes" continue to outweigh the "nays" in the discussion I shall continue to post a small section in each recital. Thanks for listening.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
T
T
Originally Posted by SMA55
So, I think I'm going to revert to my previous stance of not publicly commenting anymore. It will certainly be less trouble for me to just listen to these recitals and then only discuss any opinions I have behind the scenes with those who are interested in a more honest and free exchange of ideas--even ones involving a grim reaper and his scythe. wink

Heya SMA55, i just wanted to say that i actually really like your more honest and straightforward type of feedback given its the type of comment i was hoping to get on my playing. I was wondering if you would be so kind if you could listen to my submission and provide your feedback on my playing? I would greatly appreciate it as i want to get a second opinion on the flaws of my playing and compare it with my own perception of my flaws and strengths. I think it would greatly help me in my own development.

This is the first time i am giving feedback to people in a recital as i am relatively new here. I have been hoping to find a good balance on giving critique and encouraging the effort put in by the players. I understand everyone here has different experience level and expectations they have set for themselves for their playing and i have been trying to cater each of the responses in relation to the player's skill level, experience as well as the difficulty of the piece they are tackling. Personally i am tending towards more detailed critique the more experienced the player is and the closer to the professional level the piece of music is (Such as Level 9 RCM pieces or higher in difficulty). Hopefully so far my feedback has been meeting that happy medium i am aiming for. Please let me know if anyone feels my critique is unwarranted too! :')

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
21. Calavera - Theme of Love A very appealing piece, whether completely original or not - I can see why you chose it. You handled it with style and just the right touch of drama - nicely played!

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth Good on you for taking up the challenge and submitting this ‘reach’ piece; it’s progressing well. (Disappointed? No way!) It sounds as if you’ve learned heaps from the experience. This one’s a keeper, to enjoy and polish forever.

23. peterws - Winter I’m all for finding pieces that are challenging while still fun and joyful - a pianist’s quest. I don’t know this one, but I loved it and will be looking forward to your next discovery (on your new piano).

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso What a delight, a complete ‘mini concert’ of variations, played with exemplary sensitivity and skill. I loved every minute. Brava!

25. Ganddalf - Tango I’m glad you chose this lovely tango - one of my favourites. Far more than merely ‘OK’, it was a perfectly paced, fine interpretation.

26. lilypad - The Bass Man Walketh Great swinging blues - a treat! This was as much fun to listen to, as it obviously was for you to play.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIII

My C3 - solace. And joy.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tyschoco
23. peterws - Winter

I really appreciated the voicing work you put into this piece, the dotted eighth note into the sixteenth note motif is well tracked throughout and you even brought out the middle voice on occasion which is very interesting. You play expressively and with good shaping. My only critique is perhaps the piece started off too energetic? I find it rather curious why your score is notated as allegro as the first thing that strikes me on a winter morning is something other than "lively" lol. (other editions seem to have notated it andante instead)
Perhaps as a result, you have to slow down the middle of the piece to change the mood? I am unsure if this is what your teacher intended (if you have one). Personally neither i or my teacher would take that much liberty with the tempo and pauses you added in unless explicitly stated by the composers. However to each his own, Good Job!

Thank you very much for the time and energy put into this; indeed all your feedback has been appreciated I'm sure!

Given the nature of English winters, and my perception of those in Russia, (never been there) I could not consider winter to be other than lively although a still winter's day is a joy to wake up to.
I finally took the liberty to examine others' attempts at this piece, and was initially mortified.

He had the Andante version of the music, I'd imagine. I could play nothing in that manner. Ever. Not even Satie's Gnosses. Not even for money.

And then I found this, from an East European lady. She'll know a bit about Russian winters, that's for sure!

She obviously didn't have the Andante script. Where do they get this stuff from? Who decides?
Answer. I do. smile

I copied only the URL and posted it directly on the page, expecting only a link. . .Oh never mind!

Last edited by peterws; 08/21/21 03:27 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Still working my way backwards:

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1 I never get tired of listening to this. Some pieces are just staples because they are original and evoke just the right mood. You played it wonderfully!

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella Excellent music, playing, and video! Just great all around. I can hear Satie, and some jazz licks, and Peyton. And I would be honored to own an original Peyton composition - I'll send you a PM. Thanks Peyton!

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei I am going to have to go find this now, and learn it for my local piano group. Very well done - I love the dreamy quality of it, which is, of course, the point. There is a melody hidden in there, or at least repoeated patterns, and you brought that out very well, Excellent!

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett) It is a bit melodramatic in places, and that is why she thought of a children's minuet. You are playing very well, it would be a shame to stop now. Develop a practice habit, play some stuff for fun, and maybe you can get your enthusiasm back up.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1 hard to believe yoiu have only been at it 2.5 years. Very sensitive touch. I'm not a Scriabin fan, si I have said before, but this was well done.

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576 Pretty good sound for a software instrument. Excellent playing. I love these preludes that sound like a burst of energy, followed by a more precise allegro. Well done!

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land Welcome back to the recitals! I have thought about learning this piece a few times over the years, but never took the plunge. Your version sounds more dramatic than I remember, which is a good thing. I like the energy you bring to it. Well done!

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Well done! This one brings back memories - I used to warm up with this, attempting to memorize it, when I was a kid. But I never played it this good! You should be very proud of this...

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude I always laugh when I see you videos - in a good way. You look like you are having so much fun! Excellent!

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor Thanks for playing something I don't think I have ever heard. This is excellent for just 1.5 years of playing. Nice balance between the voices and control of the volume. Well done!

More to come!

Sam

R
R
Final comments:

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)

That was a very nice performance of the Ballet, and everything I hear of Heller is enjoyable and well-composed.

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc

I really like this little piece and you played it with energy and swing. Good job.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1

This was a fantastic performance! Very sensitively played.

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella

I like your composition and you played it very well.

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor

Nice performance. You played with much feeling.

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2

Great job! This sounds like a difficult piece to bring off, but you played it convincingly.

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly

Who would’ve thought Satie would compose a rag. He did a great job and so did you. Kudos!

32. Maira713 - Op. 1 No. 4 ("24 Short and Easy Pieces for Keyboard")

I agree with you on the music box feel of this piece. You played well, particularly for someone with less than a year of experience.

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5

Nice job. At your chosen tempo, this sounds like a stately minuet, and I’m envisioning a dance at court.

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3

Good job on a very difficult-sounding piece.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
These are some great listens

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1
Completing the trio of Songs without words submissions!
I have to say, despite what you wrote in your recital submission. I really think this was a very very good attempt. It was very clean and so tranquil in its execution. If you did not mention difficulties in your post, i would not have been able to discern it. With regards to what you mentioned about tempo, i think this is a really respectable tempo for your skill level and you delivered it well. With further development, you could revisit this piece and play it at your desired tempo (which i assume is quarter note 85 ish?)
The only critique is really have is that more attention should be given to the shaping of the line. There are some very interesting moments in the piece where the harmony is unexpected, with accidentals in the melodic line that you can draw attention to, perhaps what you termed as a lack of convincing tempo rubato? I also feel instead of thinking of the middle voice being too soft, you could also have a deeper rounder touch to the melody line as i feel its a tad timid at the moment. (But this could be a limit of the digital instrument you are using? idk) But honestly, it was a really nice listen. Hopefully when i eventually learn this, it will be as good as yours!

I agree with your points about shaping the line, there is a lack of phrasing and the same thing with the accidentals in the melody line being missing, I love hearing them.

Looking forward to listening to yours when you do record.

SamS' point about the missing echo is also totally on point and it was something I also like hearing in recordings.

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Last edited by KevinM; 08/21/21 07:17 AM.
S
S
So, I think I'm going to revert to my previous stance of not publicly commenting anymore. It will certainly be less trouble for me to just listen to these recitals and then only discuss any opinions I have behind the scenes with those who are interested in a more honest and free exchange of ideas--even ones involving a grim reaper and his scythe. wink

Heya SMA55, i just wanted to say that i actually really like your more honest and straightforward type of feedback given its the type of comment i was hoping to get on my playing. I was wondering if you would be so kind if you could listen to my submission and provide your feedback on my playing? I would greatly appreciate it as i want to get a second opinion on the flaws of my playing and compare it with my own perception of my flaws and strengths. I think it would greatly help me in my own development.

This is the first time i am giving feedback to people in a recital as i am relatively new here. I have been hoping to find a good balance on giving critique and encouraging the effort put in by the players. I understand everyone here has different experience level and expectations they have set for themselves for their playing and i have been trying to cater each of the responses in relation to the player's skill level, experience as well as the difficulty of the piece they are tackling. Personally i am tending towards more detailed critique the more experienced the player is and the closer to the professional level the piece of music is (Such as Level 9 RCM pieces or higher in difficulty). Hopefully so far my feedback has been meeting that happy medium i am aiming for. Please let me know if anyone feels my critique is unwarranted too! :')

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Fo-rum

noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

It’s my assertion that, as long as objections to open and honest feedback hinder free discourse in this discussion thread (for those people who request such feedback), what we have here is NOT truly a “forum”, and that word as applied here is actually a misnomer. I’m flattered that you want my opinion regarding your performance, tyschyko, and I’ll be happy to provide it. However, I’ll only be commenting privately henceforth, until such a time as the Adult Beginners Forum is indeed fully supported as a true forum, where honest and well-intended feedback can be provided. So, please check your messages for my thoughts on your piece.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Fo-rum

noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

It’s my assertion that, as long as objections to open and honest feedback hinder free discourse in this discussion thread (for those people who request such feedback), what we have here is NOT truly a “forum”, and that word as applied here is actually a misnomer. I’m flattered that you want my opinion regarding your performance, tyschyko, and I’ll be happy to provide it. However, I’ll only be commenting privately henceforth, until such a time as the Adult Beginners Forum is indeed fully supported as a true forum, where honest and well-intended feedback can be provided. So, please check your messages for my thoughts on your piece.

No one is stopping you from posting - as is evident here. Or commenting on performances in the forum. Go for it!

Sam

T
T
Thank you PianogrlNW, peterws, tyschoco, Sam S, and Rachtoven for taking the time to listen to my piece and to provide feedback. I greatly appreciate it. Past few days were busy at work. I hope to be able to listen to a few more tomorrow.

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Very enjoyable performance. You get a nice tone from your piano, have good sense of balance, dynamics and even tempo. I can see you’re moving quickly to more challenging pieces. Congratulations!

Thank you! Nice to hear the piano tone is coming across in a good way. This was my first time attempting another recording setup (different mic and different position) and I also like it better (than my previous setup) myself.

Originally Posted by peterws
You played this like, note perfect as far as I can tell. You're well ready to take it to new heights! Dig into those notes! Let the piano know who is the Master around here . . .
The Piano sounded so clear.

Thank you! Good to hear from a second person commenting on the piano sound, which makes me believe it wasn't just my impression that it got better this time around. When you say "dig into those notes" did you mean it literally? I'm asking because my teacher also mentions something along these lines. He thinks I worry about my pp being very low and that makes me hold back too much on letting the arm weight make the sound. He says uprights are louder than grands (when trying to play soft) and that I should focus more on "kneading the dough" and letting my hand sink into the keyboard, even if that means my pp is a bit louder than I wanted.

For your first ever sonatina, this was really good. Nice and clean and steady. I can tell you your little mess ups do not intrude on the listeners enjoyment of the piece. Your effort in the phrasing and dynamics are coming through as well. You chose an interesting articulation for the left hand accompaniment in the second movement too. A very nice alternative take on it. Your touch is light and your piano is well voiced which lends to the character of the piece.
If there's any critique to be had, there are some places where the left hand takes on a melodic motif that could be brought out more to provide a bit of conversation between the hands. Ornaments can be a tad bit more graceful to maintain the character of the piece. Another small tip that i found helpful is in the arppegiated chords towards the end of the piece (or in any place where you want a little more sound), you can choose to press down on the right pedal after you play the notes to allow a little bit more resonance to cut through, then lift with pedal along with your fingers. Other than that, perhaps a more pronounced sense of direction would serve the music better. But most of these are musical details which will come as you become more developed over time, because i think this was a splendid take given where you currently are at, well done.

Wow! This is such a detailed and helpful commentary. Thank you so much! As for what you're calling alternative take, I wasn't even aware. I had only listened to one professional pianist play this piece and I went along similar lines (I think). Thanks for pointing out the points the LH is more melodic and could be brought out. To be honest, this probably escaped my attention and I didn't realize it (I played the hole piece focusing on RH melody only). I'll go back to the score and look for these measures to experiment with what you propose. 100% agree on the ornaments comment. I'm still not where I'd like to be (ornaments sounding light like a butterfly flapping its wings). It has improved from a year ago, but even I can hear it now when it's too harsh. I'll also experiment with pedaling after the arpeggiated chords as you said. I wasn't pedaling anywhere at all, except for one note in the very beginning of movement 2 where it's a must. I like to have these "what to aim for" ideas in the back of my mind, even if I'm not yet technically good enough to implement them all.

I have played this - and taught it in my brief experience at student teaching. I would be very proud of you if you were my student! One thing you can try, in the first mvt, a slight retard before the recap is common - experiment with it - you did one in the 2nd mvt very well. Don't worry about the little bobbles here and there - they are of no consequence. The grace note in the 1st mvt - you ply it like 99% of people play it - but I had one slightly pedantic teacher who insisted it be played on the beat, since that would be more historically accurate for the time period and style of this piece. Try it, but you will stand out as different.

I'm honored to learn you'd have been proud of me if I were your student. Thank you! Will experiment with the ritardando as you suggest. Yes, grace note on the beat. My teacher is more strict with me for baroque pieces and less so for later pieces. I actually sat at the piano last night and tried starting the ornament on the beat. It was so weird and threw me off! :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
A
A
Thank you Rachtoven, and Sam for your nice words on my submission. I very much appreciate it.

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Hi Andres, nice job on the invention! I can try to give some feedback, since I learned this before and played for an exam.

Bars 2 to 3 -...
Thank you very much bSharp for such a detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. I get your idea regarding the dynamic variation in each voice as the piece develops and it is a very interesting one. I attempted it in a couple of spots but not in those you mention. I will for sure try them out. I like the principle your teacher calls lattice dynamics. Thank you very much again for taking the time to write this :)))) I second your teacher. I love Bach and like to have always a piece by him in my daily schedule at the piano.

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Well done! Near the end, it seemed that your command of the music became stronger and more confident; surprising, because so often it’s the beginning we have practiced the most, and the later part of a piece that threatens to fall apart. I had the feeling that the more you played, the more the music warmed up and came together.
thank you Qwerty53 for your nice comment. I agree with you on your impression of my recording as the piece went on. I remember when choosing the recording I wanted to share in the recital and thinking exactly the same but did not really know what the reason was. Perhaps a bit more energy was needed in the first bars to make it more interesting. Thank you for listening :))

Originally Posted by facdo
I have to say that your progress on the piano is amazing! You may see some people with 1 year of experience trying very difficult pieces, but in 99% of the cases the result is not good at all. I am much more impressed by someone playing progressively more difficult works as they get the experience for that, as you are doing. I played this piece before and I know how tricky it is. Your tempo is overall a bit slow, but that is good because you managed to play it very cleanly and evenly. Some people, like myself, rush for a faster tempo and the result is a mess. It takes discipline to stick to a tempo that you are comfortable, so keep doing that. I really liked your performance, but there is one very minor thing that I think you could work on to get your interpretation to another level. Perhaps you could work on that on the next inventions. It is the dynamic contrast between the voices. My teacher says that as a general rule for Bach you should put more emphasis on the voice that is playing the theme, so that emphasis will change between hands along the piece. But that is just a suggestion, since Bach didn’t notate anything on that. In any case, amazing work. Keep it up!
Thank you very much facdo for your nice words and for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I agree with you regarding tempo selection. I prefer to go for a slower one if that allows me control. The last aspect on a piece that we go for with my teacher is tempo. It is not that we do not care about it, but he (with much reason) prefers that I performed with clean articulation and dynamics in spite of the lower tempo than rushing through a piece and losing the rest. We try to push it as much as possible. For this invention, I have managed to play it cleanly faster, but not consistently enough for me to record it. Recording it imposes new challenges and attempting a faster tempo will end up being frustrating. That being said, it requires discipline as you mention. Good new is that I feel slowly being able to play new pieces somehow faster than before, so let's see how this develops.
Regarding the voice interplay all throughout the piece, I have to say I feel a bit sad that this did not come through in my playing. This is an aspect my teacher emphasizes a lot and we took our time with the sheet music to identify the theme and variations of it, and to make the entrances of each theme very clear. Knowing that it did not come through, makes me a bit sad since this was my main goal and I thought I was achieving that differentiation. I will try better for my next invention smile thank you very much for pointing that out and for taking the time to listen and comment on my playing :DD Your whole progress in your channel is very inspiring to me smile

Last edited by AndresVel; 08/21/21 04:42 PM.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
A
A
I have been a bit late to post my comments. Here a new batch of them. Great job everyone. In line with the previous discussions, even though I do not always provide technical feedback given my short experience at the instrument, whenever I do, I provide it with the best of intentions. Personally, I enjoyed immensely listening to everyone's recordings. It is great to see everyone's progress and love for the piano. In addition, it is a very good learning exercise. Therefore, I value these recitals a lot, as well as the exchange of ideas we have in this discussion thread. I very much encourage everyone to comment and keep this tradition alive. We all love music and playing piano, so let's discuss and share respectfully smile

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Good job on both pieces wouter79, specially with the No. 20. You shaped the melody nicely and added very good dynamics. I checked a recording of No. 24 to get an idea of the piece since it seemed a bit intricate after my first listening. I think you are on the right track. I would try to focus more on keeping the arpeggios very legato and to time the triplets with the quarter notes on the left hand, so that the pulse is clear. Overall a very good submission. Thank you for sharing and showing me some Heller. I have read a bit about him but had not checked his compositions smile

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc Great job barbaram. This indeed sounds very fun to play! I did not know the piece nor the composer, so thank you for showing some new music. Loved it. To the 40 pieces year challenge it goes smile

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude What a nice groove. Great feeling for that type of music. I loved also the use of the two cameras. Awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor Lovely piece, full of sadness in my opinion. From Frank I only know his violin sonata, which I love and enjoy very much. I did not know he had also solo piano compositions. Another composer to the list for my listening sessions. I liked your playing a lot. It set the mood perfectly, with very good use of dynamics and tempo. Lovely smile

25. Ganddalf - Tango I enjoyed this one a lot. Perfectly played! You have such a beautiful touch. There were many nuances all throughout the piece which made for a great listening experience. I ended up listening to it three times in a row. I also liked how you shaped some phrases and extended some endings. It fitted perfectly with the mood of the piece. Thank you for sharing smile

26. lilypad - The Bass Man Walketh Very groovy! I do not know much about the genre, so ti is hard for me to provide any feedback. Nevertheless, this was a very fun piece to listen to. Thank you very much for sharing smile

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1 Another new piece to me, and what a lovely surprise. I loved the piece in general, which maybe indicates I need to check out some other Mendelssohn compositions. I think you did a great job. The tempo is nicely preserved, there is no sense of you rushing it or slowing it down because of lack of control. I could notice what you mentioned regarding the accompaniment being too load compared to the melody. But your recording made me wonder whether this might be actually related to the settings or to the touch curve of your DP. It might be worth to check those also. But great job Kevin! I think you are almost there with this piece.

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements) Hola Talao! It is great you chose this one as your next piece! I am very happy you felt inspired by my submission in the last recital. That is very flattering and I feel very humbled that this was the case :)) I liked you version a lot! I noticed several things that differ from my take on it and that is awesome since it gives me a whole new listening experience. On your first movement: I liked the steady tempo you kept all throughout, I remember struggling with not speeding up in the second part of the exposition. The grace notes were very nice handled and you seemed very much in control of the performance. One thing I noticed was for example trying to give more dynamic variation to the right hand, specially in the development section, where you have the running scales. This impression might be related also to the recording itself, with the mics not picking up exactly what you listen when playing, so take it please with a grain of salt. I also wanted to share with you some ideas we discussed with my teacher when working on this piece (these are just for your to perhaps try them out for fun or if interested, I am not trying at all to suggest you should play it as I did or that you should change your interpretation): I think the first mvmt is very lively and happy, and therefore I did not join the left hand in the exposition, but kept it detached. It gave the piece a bit of a jumpy feeling which I liked very much. On the coda, I also tried to keep the alberti bass as quiet as possible, specially in the repeat. Again, these are just ideas I remembered discussing with my teacher that you might want to try for fun. On the 2nd mvmt: I liked it a lot, your choice of tempo gave it a very lively feeling to it. Your ornaments are again very well handled, and you also introduced very beautiful pauses which made it a pleasure to listen to. I find very interesting how our approaches are different. In contrast to the 1st mvmt, I tried here not to detach the left hand in the exposition and coda. You, on the other hand, added a bit of staccato feeling which served very well for the tempo you chose. I very much enjoyed your performance! The little mistake in the 2nd mvmt is really not important at all, you continued as if nothing had happened, and that is by itself a very good skill to possess. Awesome job Talao! :DDD

45. tyschoco - Sonatina in G Major, Op 55 No.2 1st Movement, Allegretto What a lovely mvmt. I am now tempted to learn it as well. I think you did amazing. The phrasing is very nice all throughout and you use of dynamics is outstanding. I also like how you give importance to the left hand in certain sections, which keeps things interesting during the entire recording. You showed also very good control of the tempo you chose. The only thing I would recommend if possible, is to slowly try to improve your recording set up. It makes such a difference in the quality and also helps you a lot more when you listen back your recordings trying to spot things to improve, which makes absolute sense at the stage you are with this piece for example, when polishing is the main goal. Very beautiful job. I feel inspired now smile

46. Pathbreaker - Alte Liebe Oh this was so beautiful. I have dived into Brahms music in the past month or so and I could not believe what I was missing out! He became very fast one of my favorite composers. This piece shows why. I went on to listen to the Lied, and the arrangement you chose is beautiful. Your playing was superb, so much control and nuances. Your feeling of tempo and your choice of rubato was great. In addition, your vst sound really good. i listened through headphones and the sound quality was amazing. Lovely submission.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,250
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission