2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (benQF, anotherscott, 36251, ambrozy, Bob Husband, Animisha, 1903wrightflyer, AlphaTerminus, 17 invisible), 806 guests, and 659 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
L
L
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I believe they patented the overstrung bass (in the US), and if anything, duplexes are in greater use (not lesser) in modern piano designs, though some are tuned or placed differently.

Their grands are (for me), by and large rather nice to tune.
Over the course of my playing years, I can think of many “oh wow” moments when I’ve been really impressed by a piano. Probably 40% of that list were Steinways. Granted a portion of that subset were from Hamburg, or rebuilt.

They patented overstrung bass, sure, but it was in fact invented many years prior by a small maker of upright pianos by the name of Pape, if I remember correctly. Same with the cast iron frame - Steinway was not the first to invent it, but was quick to take the idea and claim it as their own before anyone else could.

L
L
Originally Posted by oldMH
The only really special thing about them is that some of them are truly fabulous instruments.

This can be said about literally any high-end piano maker.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by littlefinger
They patented overstrung bass, sure, but it was in fact invented many years prior by a small maker of upright pianos by the name of Pape, if I remember correctly. Same with the cast iron frame - Steinway was not the first to invent it, but was quick to take the idea and claim it as their own before anyone else could.

Gross. Sheesh the title of this thread is taking on a new meaning I didn’t anticipate — what makes them special is that they’re vile??

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by charleslang
That’s not special, because some of other brands are truly fabulous instruments.
I'm curious, what brand are these fabulous instruments?

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
To join the discussion, I think many pianists would be able to tell pianos apart by their sound quality. Piano quality also varies drastically. I think people have grown used to the Steinway sound. Personally, it sounds very vanilla to me, inoffensive. The comment about it being the Apple of pianos is apt, given their monopolizing business tactics.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
They patented overstrung bass, sure, but it was in fact invented many years prior by a small maker of upright pianos by the name of Pape, if I remember correctly. Same with the cast iron frame - Steinway was not the first to invent it...

Yes, I am well aware of this. I did indicate that patenting something isn't the same as inventing it. Both terms were used by the OP.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The only really special thing about them is that some of them are truly fabulous instruments.

I think those truly fabulous instruments were played by truly great pianists, in acoustically wonderful concert halls.

The well used Steinway grands I had the opportunity to try, just didn’t really impress me but I’m also sure none of them had proper maintenance and tuning schedules. The Bosendorfer 214VC I tried was brand new and had the best spot in the showroom. Hardly a fair comparison. If I ever got the chance to play a concert hall ready Steinway D or even a well prepped B, my opinion would be much different.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by j&j

I think those truly fabulous instruments were played by truly great pianists, in acoustically wonderful concert halls.

The well used Steinway grands I had the opportunity to try, just didn’t really impress me but I’m also sure none of them had proper maintenance and tuning schedules. The Bosendorfer 214VC I tried was brand new and had the best spot in the showroom. Hardly a fair comparison. If I ever got the chance to play a concert hall ready Steinway D or even a well prepped B, my opinion would be much different.

This is true. One reason so many have disdain for Steinway is because the very best Steinways go to the concert halls to be played by the great masters, while the average and sub-par pianos are often sold to the consumer. This is not to say, however, that great Steinways cannot be purchased. With the great diversity in quality these pianos have, it means that the cream of the crop of Steinway, the very best instruments that deserve the praise showered upon Steinway are not played by your average Joe at the local Steinway store.

I
I
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The whole premise of this thread makes little sense to me. Why would someone judge a piano based on the patents the maker has? The OP says someone told him Steinway has lots of patents and since he doesn't feel that's true or the important features of piano are among Steinway patents, this is used as a basis for criticizing Steinway?

OP can speak for himself but on the surface when one hears that a process has been patented one might automatically think that there's a protected innovation at play which puts that patent holder at an advantage. Therefore one can make the assumption that if Steinway holds a bunch of patents that they're not only leaders of innovation but also that these are yielding advantages competitors don't have and can't (legally) replicate. In practice these patents are often of trivial practical relevance and where there's a real breakthrouogh the competitors will come up with a similar process that is just different enough to keep them out of the courtroom.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Also by this time, most of Steinway's patents have expired, and they can and have been copied.

Semipro Tech
Online Content
Originally Posted by ikkiyikki
The whole premise of this thread makes little sense to me. Why would someone judge a piano based on the patents the maker has? The OP says someone told him Steinway has lots of patents and since he doesn't feel that's true or the important features of piano are among Steinway patents, this is used as a basis for criticizing Steinway?

OP can speak for himself but on the surface when one hears that a process has been patented one might automatically think that there's a protected innovation at play which puts that patent holder at an advantage. Therefore one can make the assumption that if Steinway holds a bunch of patents that they're not only leaders of innovation but also that these are yielding advantages competitors don't have and can't (legally) replicate. In practice these patents are often of trivial practical relevance and where there's a real breakthrouogh the competitors will come up with a similar process that is just different enough to keep them out of the courtroom.
As far as I know most of Steinway's significant patents(overstrung scale, iron frame, tapered soundboard) have expired and generally used by most top manufacturers. Additionally, although Steinway did make or at least popularize many
innovations early in its history, I don't think this has been the case in recent decades.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/18/21 07:20 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
When I go to piano recitals the instrument is usually a Steinway - I often tend to find that the bass is rather "fuzzy", it lacks clarity, it is difficult to make out the bass lines. This does make me wonder if overstringing is really such a good idea.

Online Content
Originally Posted by David-G
When I go to piano recitals the instrument is usually a Steinway - I often tend to find that the bass is rather "fuzzy", it lacks clarity, it is difficult to make out the bass lines. This does make me wonder if overstringing is really such a good idea.
I think many great pianos, all of which are overstrung, have a clearer bass than a Steinway. So my guess is that overstringing is not a big factor in determining how clear the bass is.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by David-G
I think many great pianos, all of which are overstrung, have a clearer bass than a Steinway. So my guess is that overstringing is not a big factor in determining how clear the bass is.

Interesting observation. My thoughts on this are probably coloured by my own piano, where the bass is not overstrung and has particular clarity.

G
G
The answer (yes) is quite simple:
https://www.steinway.com/music-and-artists

Well, this plus tens of thousands of classical recordings all using Steinways.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by George Smith
The answer (yes) is quite simple:
https://www.steinway.com/music-and-artists

Well, this plus tens of thousands of classical recordings all using Steinways.

Not to diminish the Steinway brand, but I don’t find the artists in their roster to be relevant, as Steinway offers incentives to pianists to sign-on as a Steinway artist. Those incentives include having a Steinway piano available, at no charge, from a local dealer for concerts where a grand piano is needed. It was a brilliant marketing plan, which continues.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
With the great diversity in quality these pianos have, it means that the cream of the crop of Steinway, the very best instruments that deserve the praise showered upon Steinway are not played by your average Joe at the local Steinway store.

So, what does an average Joe like me have to do to get access to the 'very best instruments'? Improving my skill to a concert quality pianist is not an option smile.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 08/18/21 11:55 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Osho
With the great diversity in quality these pianos have, it means that the cream of the crop of Steinway, the very best instruments that deserve the praise showered upon Steinway are not played by your average Joe at the local Steinway store.

So, what does an average Joe like me have to do to get access to the 'very best instruments'? Improving my skill to a concert quality pianist is not an option smile.

Osho

Make a lot of money! Of course, that is not the only way. Finding a very good technician who will work with a good make of piano that you find used can help, both in getting access to a fine instrument, and in keeping it that way.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Osho

Osho

I’d say, get a vertical piano in the 50” range, pay a good technician to put it in absolute concert condition, learn to do touch up tunings so that you don’t have noisy unisons ruining things a week after you pay your tuner, and play it with the front panels removed. Modern pianos are all the ‘very best instruments’ in the bigger historical picture. I’ve owned two grands and played many but my favorite playing experience lately has become a vertical piano with big enough bass to have an orchestral score capacity, but not so big it’s bigger than my personal space and was meant to be performative or institutional.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by charleslang
I’ve owned two grands and played many but my favorite playing experience lately has become a vertical piano with big enough bass to have an orchestral score capacity, but not so big it’s bigger than my personal space and was meant to be performative or institutional.

The action of an upright is so different from the one in a grand piano that it has never been an option, let alone an alternative to me and many, many other pianists, amateurs and professionals alike. I'd rather play and practice on a small no-name grand with a decent action than on one of best uprights, no matter how prestigious the brand.

My personal grand fits well into a rental apartment and it actually is very much part of my personal space in that room anyway.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,749
Posts3,142,129
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission