2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, 36251, ethanw, dbudde, AJB, ANAFREE, CraiginNZ, Doug M., AndrewJCW, 4 invisible), 716 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Obviously this has no doubt been brought up thousands of times now over the years, so i apologise, but here goes anyway...

I am looking for speakers to connect to my yamaha cp4 piano at home. My budget can be pretty flexible, but wouldn't want to spend any more than say £600-700 (maybe can go slightly higher if needs be) on a good pair max.

I've bought a pair yamaha HS7 some years back and hated them as although they were clearly high quality/fidelity, i simply couldn't enjoy my playing through them, too flat and not coloured enough for me... I like a more hi fi sounding output. Are there any speakers that are high-quality and not overly flat sounding? Just thoroughly enjoyable to listen through? Genelics, pre-sonas or adam for example. What do people use on here?

I used to own a 2:1 set up - Roland 100w system, can't remember model name now, but is discontinued, and they never replaced it with anything similar. It had two 25w satellite speakers and a sub woofer - 50w. This was about £350 I think new and was actually much more enjoyable to play piano through, had them for years, almost perfect for me, but now I'd want something similar but of higher quality as my budget is higher now.

Thank you

Mark

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're right. This subject has been discussed before. Search for that topic here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ax7Q3Bn4Zmm1ZHjeD4zLxbpCX8y5cQw/view

Also ... if you don't like flat speakers, then just add an equalizer. You can get one cheap on Ebay.

C
C
Using KRK Rokit 5 G4 studio monitors on my VST setup. The issue you may have encountered with your Yamaha speakers is that they tend to be quite flat and bright in the mids. Very desirable to have in an acoustically treated home studio, but they’re known to cause listeners fatigue even after shorts periods of use outside of that clean environment. The KRK’s produce a more balanced sound but the spectrum is more inclined toward the bass for a more pleasant listening experience. In fact, the big plus is that they are actually designed to be use in untreated rooms like in a normal bedroom or living room.

Watch some YouTube videos as usually these two studio monitors are compared side by side. But be aware that they may not sound nearly as good on those videos as to live listening.

I tried PreSonus and returned them due to quality issues. Sound was subpar to KRK. Genelecs and Adams enjoy a great reputation, but my understanding is that they are also very flat. Again, a feature very sought after by audiophiles and music production professionals if you have the budget to invest in a professional home studio. Personally, that’s not what I was after.

P
P
Mark,

Before you buy something new, let me ask a few questions. I don’t know you, so please forgive me if I say things you already know.

1. How do you like the sound of your CP4 through a good set of headphones?

I’ve had a CP4 for the past seven years, used exclusively for gigging. This is a stage piano. Very good connection between the keys and the sound. But the sound is not great for immersive at-home playing. It’s for playing with drums, guitars and horns. No sympathetic resonance. The (barely adequate) reverb never gets turned on. And it’s not a particularly accurate or interesting piano sound for a DP. But it works quite well on stage.

2. You didn’t like ‘flat’ speakers.

Flat means that the frequency response is flat, that is, accurate. Not like a beer gone flat. This means your speakers are putting out as closely as possible the sound that the Yamaha product designers wanted the CP4 to sound like.

I’m wondering if you don’t like flat speakers because you don’t like the sound of the CP4. Remember, the CP4 is not designed for at home playing.

But, CP4 has a 5-band EQ on the front panel. If you don’t like the frequency response of your speakers, then getting extremely familiar with the EQ sliders is essential. Because you can easily change the ‘frequency response’ of your piano.

Good luck,
Jack

M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for that excellent response, appreciate it, I'm also after a reasonable amount of bass, maybe the KRK g4 are lacking as are only 5 inch and I'd probably need a sun woofer maybe?

C
C
Originally Posted by mwf
Thanks for that excellent response, appreciate it, I'm also after a reasonable amount of bass, maybe the KRK g4 are lacking as are only 5 inch and I'd probably need a sun woofer maybe?

Well, you could easily opt for the larger 7” or even the 8” KRK’s. 5” studio monitors are the sweet spot for most home studios, but if yours is a very large room with studio monitors well distanced, then the larger ones would be more suitable. Given the KRK’s are more bass biased, I don’t see the need for a standalone bass speaker even with their 5” studio monitors.

PianoMan51 brings up some interesting questions regarding the sound quality generated by your digital keyboard. My current setup consists of a VST plugin (Pianoteq 7) via a Macbook, KRK 5 G4 studio monitors, a midi keyboard and an audio interphase to generate really clean and high quality piano sounds. When I get back to my permanent home in a couple of months, I will try to run the entire VST through my Roland LX-17 digital piano to enhance the overall experience.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 08/16/21 11:52 PM.
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, probably not enough bass on rp5 g4 so I'll get krk rp7 g4 probably.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by mwf
Obviously this has no doubt been brought up thousands of times now over the years, so i apologise, but here goes anyway...

I am looking for speakers to connect to my yamaha cp4 piano at home. My budget can be pretty flexible, but wouldn't want to spend any more than say £600-700 (maybe can go slightly higher if needs be) on a good pair max.

I've bought a pair yamaha HS7 some years back and hated them as although they were clearly high quality/fidelity, i simply couldn't enjoy my playing through them, too flat and not coloured enough for me... I like a more hi fi sounding output. Are there any speakers that are high-quality and not overly flat sounding? Just thoroughly enjoyable to listen through? Genelics, pre-sonas or adam for example. What do people use on here?

I used to own a 2:1 set up - Roland 100w system, can't remember model name now, but is discontinued, and they never replaced it with anything similar. It had two 25w satellite speakers and a sub woofer - 50w. This was about £350 I think new and was actually much more enjoyable to play piano through, had them for years, almost perfect for me, but now I'd want something similar but of higher quality as my budget is higher now.

Thank you

Mark

I use a couple of Genelec 8040s at the output of my mixer, and all signal sources go to the inputs of the mixer.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cool that you care about quality... keep up the pursuit!

I purchased used stuff from The Music Room... they are top shelf folks. The only advice I can give, is more money typically equals better sound... just the way the world works.

Click here... they have powered monitors in inventory and they come and go fast.... IMO, avoid wireless at all costs. Keep checking, their inventory keeps changing.

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/bookshelf-speakers-monitors/

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08/17/21 11:02 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
B
B
Bruce -- I know this is all subjective, but is there a price threshold where, in your view, you start to get into quality speakers? The prices, even for used equipment, so widely run the gamut that it's hard to know where to begin if you're interested in achieving superior sound quality than you'd get from the built-in speakers that come with digital pianos.

Roland fp90, Beyerdynamic dt880, Sennheiser hd600, Schiit Asgard III, Becker Brothers upright (1906).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Baltguy
Bruce -- I know this is all subjective, but is there a price threshold where, in your view, you start to get into quality speakers? The prices, even for used equipment, so widely run the gamut that it's hard to know where to begin if you're interested in achieving superior sound quality than you'd get from the built-in speakers that come with digital pianos.

Yep that is a tough one... in my experience, nothing good is under $1,000 (new). Under that, it is just big compromises. To break into really quality stuff, well... I will just keep that to myself.

I had a rare opportunity in NYC... can't remember if it was Guitar Center or Sam Ash... to have some time alone with a sales rep who was a struggling producer... an older guy. Anywho, he had is own high quality recordings with him and allowed me quiet time to flip through all of the powered studio monitors they had for sale. In short, I was amazed how differently they all sounded from one another... and, BTW, all claimed razor flat frequency responses in the critical mid-range. I think the most expensive powered monitor they had was an Adam for $1000. I know there are plenty of monitors sold over that threshold, but these are consumer stores. Anywho, I thought the Adam was the better sounding unit... but still not too impressed.

I am being a bit hyperbolic in saying I was amazed at the difference... I have been in the audio hobby for almost 50 years and know that when you are under $1000, you are in the wild west. The buyers at this price point are typically not sophisticated with understanding sound quality and the economics of volume manufacturing with slim margins rules.

Flame away!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08/17/21 04:03 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
C
C
It is a slippery slope trying to find the right studio monitor with wide and flat response. Next thing you know you’re easily spending $3-6K USD for a pair. But in the world of audiophiles and professional music production, it is worth the entry price. Obviously, the studio monitors are a small part of the equation since, at that point, one must also invest in a proper treated sound room and other top notch sound equipment. Otherwise, you’re just throwing your money away with studio monitors that may sound so-so or even awful when used in the wrong environment and/or with subpar hardware.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 08/17/21 04:34 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mwf

Thank you

Mark

I feel the same way about the Yamaha speakers, not really nice to listen to.

C
C
It's not studio monitors, but I use this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...o-spacestation-v3-280w-3d-stereo-monitor

I'm happy with it. I have it underneath my Kawai and, in my opinion, it sounds better than the monitors I used to use.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . . I've bought a pair yamaha HS7 some years back and hated them as although they were clearly high quality/fidelity, i simply couldn't enjoy my playing through them, too flat and not coloured enough for me... I like a more hi fi sounding output.

FWIW --

Way back in this thread, MacMacMac suggested getting an equalizer. I haven't seen any better ideas -- the "effect per dollar" is attractive, for (e.g.) a DBX 31-band, stereo EQ. The logic is pretty compelling:

. . . If the sound is "too flat and not coloured enough",

. . . buy something that will let you un-flatten the frequency response,
. . . and add colour.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
unfortunately there is no consensus, and in a blind test comparison between cheap vs expensive (same size), people will fail miserably. My suggestion is (if you already have an amp) buy big full range drivers, 12", cheap ones. Get used to them, after that, you can buy or try an expensive thingie, and judge by yourself if the expensive thingie is actually any better than your cheap 12" full range drivers.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pold
unfortunately there is no consensus, and in a blind test comparison between cheap vs expensive (same size), people will fail miserably. My suggestion is (if you already have an amp) buy big full range drivers, 12", cheap ones. Get used to them, after that, you can buy or try an expensive thingie, and judge by yourself if the expensive thingie is actually any better than your cheap 12" full range drivers.

The thing you might experience with very good monitors, is hearing everything.
All the production faults like...annoying emphasis in different frequency bands, touching at ringing (feedback), inconsistent volume levels + a number of other issues.
Some people can look at that as a 'problem' ...others look at it as 'the way it should be'.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Does your keyboard have an equalizer in it? My RD2000 has a nice one... very complex... and you can save the settings so the keyboard powers up with it. On the RD2000, the EQ is global, not specific to any one sound.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pold

Completely agree.

My experience with this includes years of searching for the "holy grail" of sound through more expensive powered monitors.

I had reached as high as $1500 for a pair of monitors.

Somehow, I never found what I was searching for.

I have now, for the moment anyway ... settled on ....

Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers ($200 for the pair) and at low volume seem to satisfy my need to hear sound that seems to match the instrument I hear when I play with headphones. Not exactly, but close enough so I do not cringe when I play without headphones.

That seems to be the best I can do.

My point is .... You may never find what you are searching for.

You may end up (as me) just giving in to the reality that it might not exist.

Advice ... spend your money on lessons. That will get you a better sound quicker than expensive sound equipment.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Originally Posted by dmd
Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers

I just bought a pair of those to use with my Viscount Legend '70 and they are more than enough to use in a small room... I was really impressed!

Last edited by orcoaffamato; 08/19/21 10:53 AM.

Schimmel 130T / Viscount Cantorum Trio / Viscount Legend '70 Artist W / Dexibell VIVO P3 / Behringer 2600 / AKAI MPC Live II
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,770
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission