2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (BravoRomeo, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 36251, bobrunyan, 17 invisible), 1,047 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
This has always been a weird phenomenon for me, and I'm wondering if other people have experienced it.

Looking back at my compositions over the years, I realize that the pieces I am most pleased with are those I tend to have little to no memory of having written. In fact, I've gone back through my "junk pile" on multiple occasions and run across something I don't even recognize as mine, but that I totally love and decide to finish, though it feels like stealing, or maybe writing a cover, since I have no memory of the original ever happening. And then there are pieces that I know that I wrote them, and even remember vaguely when it was, but I have no recollection of the actual process. So weird. I've had people ask me "Where did you come up with the inspiration for this or that piece?" and I am forced to admit that I have no idea because I don't even remember it. It's like I wake up one day and there's this piece of music I'm apparently already halfway done with.

Is this maybe because I'm in such a "flow" that I am not conscious of the process or something, or what? Does this happen to you?

My work is available at https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Also on Spotify, Apple, all those subscription places under Jim of Seattle.

I have a website I never remember to update: www.jimofseattle.com

Also jkoseattle@comcast.net
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Jim.

Interesting question. This has never happened to me. When I go through my old compositions I always recognize them after playing the first few notes.

I do wonder why this is something that is happening.

confused

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I have experienced this weird phenomenon for years. The first instance I remember particularly well because I found a page of music in a pile of scores by my favorite classical composers which I'd downloaded several months earlier. I played it and found it particularly lovely so I started digging around in that pile. Finally I realized the copyright date was only a couple of months earlier and that it was one of my own works. I eventually located all the pages.

But a couple of days ago, I was sending a link to one of my older You Tube clips to a friend. On a whim, I opened the link and found my familiar hands playing a beautiful, but completely unfamiliar piece of music. Well I know it's mine, because my name, date and copyright are on it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's some form of senility, then I remember the great Indian mathematician Ramanujan who claimed he got his incredibly complex mathematical equations from "the Goddess". I recognize now that I do work in a sort of trance state ... and that state produces the best results. So now I welcome it.

But I admit it can be unnerving at times. 🤗

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Jim.

One thing to add, relevant, perhaps, in one way or another…

Some melodic lines of my own I wind up asking my husband: "Does this sound like something else to you?" - meaning, does my composition sound like some well-known piece of music?

I hope I am not unknowingly copying someone's else's music.

This only happens with certain types of compositions and every so often, but when it does, It is troublesome to me that there's no way to check, that is….

As far as I know, there is no way to tell if my composition is entirely original or if, in fact, sprang forth from some memory or knowledge deep in the recesses of my mind of someone else's music…which would mean my composition is a copy, mostly mimicking or too reminiscent of some other composer's creative efforts.

As far as how this may relate to this discussion…

Jim, you say you sometimes do not recognize nor remember your own compositions as being one of your own creations.

On the opposite side of the coin, I fear I may have no conscious memory of someone else's piece of music that I once heard and have subsequently channeled into a composition I believe is my own.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
R
R
Originally Posted by Jim of Seattle
This has always been a weird phenomenon for me, and I'm wondering if other people have experienced it.

Sometimes I seem to have forgotten a composition, but if I think about it for a while, the memory comes back.

I have written more than 500 compositions for piano. Maybe that's the reason. Because I work fast and usually finish within a couple of hours, the memory of a composition fades within a day. I like it that way. Wouldn't want to have a composition in my inner ear all day long.

Next day, if I want to write the next piece, I have a quick glance, just to be sure that I don't write in the same key and time signature two days in a row. Furthermore, I get bored rather quickly, so I don't have any reason to bother with an old composition.

Er... and I'm not so young anymore. I guess, that could be of some importance wink

Free online Music Theory Tools made by me.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
New GSI Pianos
by stamkorg - 08/13/22 06:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,957
Members106,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission