2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 97 of 108 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 107 108
J
J
@Sol Finker It's easy but doesn't fully support the Musescore files. For example, sometimes I only get half of the fingerings. But all in all it works well enough for me. If you have any questions I'll try to help with my (rather limited) knowledge smile.

Last edited by Johanna H.; 08/11/21 02:42 PM.
Besides Minced, Chopped and Whole, does PM have a practicing way to memorize a piece?
I admire people - beginners - who upload their videos playing pieces without using the score.

Jaime CLP-645
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by Sol Finker
Besides Minced, Chopped and Whole, does PM have a practicing way to memorize a piece?
I admire people - beginners - who upload their videos playing pieces without using the score.

I never intentionally try to memorise a piece but in order to play it at a good level it is inevitable that I will play it so many times that it becomes second nature.

I'm currently working on 'Cannon in C' and I would imagine that it would take a skilled player to be able play this without practicing so much that it becomes ingrained in their psyche.

Although I glance at the music at a few places, it would be impossible for me to be able to play this proficiently without knowing it like the back of my hand.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
I'm just green with envy of those who can play without score. But I'm used to reading and cannot imaging another way to play a piece.

Last edited by Sol Finker; 08/15/21 06:08 AM.

Jaime CLP-645
J
J
Being a beginner at the piano I only memorized 3 little piano pieces so far but I know the problem of Sol Finker from the guitar for many years, where I also tend to be more a reader than a person who memorizes music easily. I know that some people are able to memorize music very quickly just by playing it but this involves (in my opinion) quite some theoretical knowledge about composition and a lot of experience. So this is my (admittedly very slow) approach:

1. I learn the piece with the score in front of me. At first at very very slow speed, line by line, till I feel really comfortable and confident before I speed up. The same principle like the minced/chopped thing is working in PM. By the time I reach the actual speed of the piece and I can play it without too much effort, I have already spend a lot of hours with it and most/all of the notes/finger movements are already stored in what is called 'muscle memory'. [At this stage of learning I try only to look at my hands when it is really necessary. I'm not sure, if this is important though. Maybe I'm just used to not looking at my hands from the guitar, where this is simply not comfortable and you never are able to watch both of your hands simultaneously anyway.]

2. I start over the same process, line by line (bar by bar if needed) and from very slow to fast but this time without looking at the score but rather watching my hands or closing my eyes and just listening to the sound. As before, I only speed up, when all feels naturally and effortless. I take very small steps, just aiming to learn 1 - 4 bars in a session and then putting it together with (some of) the parts I already know.

3. When I finally can play it out of memory the piece gets in my "repertoir" category. Which means I'll spend some minutes every day repeating it before or after I practice something else. I tend to forget really fast so it is important for me to keep reviewing for a longer period, when I want it to stay in my memory, which is a shame.

Because all of the above takes a lot of time (in my case) I found it fundamental to choose very carefully which pieces I want to learn at all in this manner. It needs to be something I really love, especially the longer the pieces get. It can become very frustrating, having to repeat something over and over again and over a longer period of time.

Just my 2 cents, I'm very curious about other people's approach in memorizing music as well.

P
P
Hi - I'm new here and reading this thread takes a while!

When you say Canon in C are you talking about the Level 10 version (there are two other easier versions)

Last edited by Pommie; 08/15/21 11:16 AM.

Piano Marvel: Method 4A Technique 4A
T
T
Originally Posted by Pommie
Hi - I'm new here and reading this thread takes a while!

When you say Canon in C are you talking about the Level 10 version (there are two other easier versions)

I’m doing 5-C of method where each exercise is a separate chunk of the piece and exercise 20 is the piece in it’s entirety.

I’m not sure if it corresponds with a piece in the library or which level it would be but I’d be interested to know.

Edit: It looks like it’s the Level 6 version from the library.

P
P
Thanks

I was getting excited about having completed the Level 3 version :-)

Piano Marvel: Method 4A Technique 4A
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
I've recently started trying to improve my sight reading, and checked out Pianomarvel. My baseline seems to be around 450 according to the SASR scale. I wonder what level that roughly corresponds to, if someone could let me know that would be great. Also, do you guys think a paid subscription is a good idea?

The monthly fee is quite afordable IMO.
I think it would be a good idea browsing through different levels.
You can try starting at Method level 2 and Technique level 3 and going forward until you reach your zone of comfort/discomfort.

Jaime CLP-645
M
M
My frustration with this and other apps is they don’t give you very long for free to get a feel for how the lessons will be structured and flow from one day to the next. I know you can get 7 day trials so do I have to abuse those (buy and immediately cancel) to get a proper feel for them?

Piano Marvel I struggle from the start with the layout. whats the difference between method and technique? Which to do first? None of the apps seems to have a ‘drill’ or recommended structure to lessons - just want one that I can say I can do 30 mins a day, and it’ll give me the structure. Feels like I’m trying to decode the apps as much as learning the keys!

Simply Piano seems ok, and Piano Marvel gets a lot of recommendations so I’ll maybe start with those. Flowkey might be ok too. Yousician I’m not sure about all the colours - might help the ‘guitar hero’ player in me but does it obfuscate learning to read sheet music which might hold me back in the longer term?

Last edited by mrklaw; 08/16/21 03:21 AM.
You make me dither, but I think I started PM with a 30 day trial period...

Jaime CLP-645
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Could you guys give me an idea of what the SASR scale is about? That's the main draw for me, I'm in it mainly for practicing sight reading. Does 400 correspond to grade 4?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Johanna H.
Being a beginner at the piano I only memorized 3 little piano pieces so far but I know the problem of Sol Finker from the guitar for many years, where I also tend to be more a reader than a person who memorizes music easily. I know that some people are able to memorize music very quickly just by playing it but this involves (in my opinion) quite some theoretical knowledge about composition and a lot of experience. So this is my (admittedly very slow) approach:

1. I learn the piece with the score in front of me. At first at very very slow speed, line by line, till I feel really comfortable and confident before I speed up. The same principle like the minced/chopped thing is working in PM. By the time I reach the actual speed of the piece and I can play it without too much effort, I have already spend a lot of hours with it and most/all of the notes/finger movements are already stored in what is called 'muscle memory'. [At this stage of learning I try only to look at my hands when it is really necessary. I'm not sure, if this is important though. Maybe I'm just used to not looking at my hands from the guitar, where this is simply not comfortable and you never are able to watch both of your hands simultaneously anyway.]

2. I start over the same process, line by line (bar by bar if needed) and from very slow to fast but this time without looking at the score but rather watching my hands or closing my eyes and just listening to the sound. As before, I only speed up, when all feels naturally and effortless. I take very small steps, just aiming to learn 1 - 4 bars in a session and then putting it together with (some of) the parts I already know.

3. When I finally can play it out of memory the piece gets in my "repertoir" category. Which means I'll spend some minutes every day repeating it before or after I practice something else. I tend to forget really fast so it is important for me to keep reviewing for a longer period, when I want it to stay in my memory, which is a shame.

Because all of the above takes a lot of time (in my case) I found it fundamental to choose very carefully which pieces I want to learn at all in this manner. It needs to be something I really love, especially the longer the pieces get. It can become very frustrating, having to repeat something over and over again and over a longer period of time.

Just my 2 cents, I'm very curious about other people's approach in memorizing music as well.

I'm going through a very similar experience.
I've added a few more ideas though, to try to get past the memorization problem. E.g. I'm moving away from the excessively stringent routines I've used so far. I start from any phrase, including from the end of a section, LH only, RH only, RH + sing LH, LH + sing RH, and more.
High tempo of phrase playing.
And I have more ideas that I will try out.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
All my books have been reset! OMG
The only ones that keep unaltered are Method and Technique (and the SARS score).

I have sent a request. I hope they have a backup and could restore my stuff.

Jaime CLP-645
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
All my books have been reset! OMG
The only ones that keep unaltered are Method and Technique (and the SARS score).

I have sent a request. I hope they have a backup and could restore my stuff.

Update today on PM Status 18/08: I have been told by developers that there are much better fixes in place for the “Server Error” as well as fixes for the reports section. The team has been working relentlessly to fix this. I will confirm by testing in a few minutes but feel free to let me know your experiences. We will be back to normal soon!!!!

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
They told me they're working on the bug that is causing the progress not to display.
I guess we have to wait.
Has anyone had the same issue?

Jaime CLP-645
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
They told me they're working on the bug that is causing the progress not to display.
I guess we have to wait.
Has anyone had the same issue?

Everyone had problems last week, but today they say everything is solved (Aug 20)

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Indeed!
I have all my stuff back.
Happy Friday!

Jaime CLP-645
T
T
I’m a bit concerned now as my day streak of 471 days does not appear to have updated today.

Page 97 of 108 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission