2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (beeboss, eddiepiano, cygnusdei, chopin_r_us, Animisha, bxrdad1, drumour, Ben_NZ, 9 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
V
vte Offline
V
Just some quick nice comments below on the pieces that I have had a chance to listen to. Congrats everyone on another successful online recital!

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 I greatly enjoyed listening to your piece. Looks like your new mic worked great!

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc Very fun and exciting piece, I enjoyed listening to it.

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly I loved the dynamics, thanks for introducing me to this piece and the background info on it. Such a fun, lovely piece.

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer How fun! Loved the video and your performance was really nice. After only 7 months - it's so impressive.

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5 It's a lovely piece and you played it really nicely.

42. Amy H - Story of You Nice and calming. I loved the ending part. I'll make sure to check out some of his additional pieces

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
04 Sam S - the piece was beautiful and adding the slide show of beautiful photos made it the perfect meditative accompaniment to my morning cup of tea

Vte, thanks for your comment - much appreciated!

Looking forward to listening to the recital properly over the next few days

[Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
I thought I'd post my thoughts on the other performances here. Of course, all of this is my (subjective) impression, and you're free to disagree with my comments!

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky You play quite well, good on you for memorizing the piece! You've got the notes down, but I feel that this needs a bit more swing. What I would personally try is to listen to a recording, such as this one, and try to hum or tap out the oom-pah accompaniment. Then, record yourself singing the accompaniment according to the felt rhythm. After you do this for a few minutes, get back to the piano and try to see if you can get your left hand to play along with that rhythm. You can either go by feel, or try to imitate the rhythm you sang and recorded.

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu Yours truly wink

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 I am very impressed. How do you get that crystalline tone? It's something I really struggle with personally, so mad respect for that. The recording quality is also very good, and it does indeed sound very close to an actual piano from my speakers. I might consider those microphones, once I'm earning a steady income that is. I've never listened to the full version of the sonata, so thank you for this recording. A couple of smudges is only human (and I don't care about flubbed notes either way), this sounds near perfect to my ears! I can only suggest some alternative interpretation ideas which come to mind. You could try playing a bit more with dynamics. At 9:23, for the last section, you could probably increase the dynamic contrast, with slightly more prominent crescendos, to create a stronger sense of tension.

04. Sam S - Etude 2 This sounds very modern and cinematic. Cool piece! This piece makes me think that the Minecraft soundtrack was clearly influenced by Philip Glass. I like your control over the dynamics, and the way you worked in those thundering bass notes and unexpected quiet moments was awesome. Have you tried improvising? This kind of vamp is very simple and rewarding to improvise over.

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) Nice effort. I think it would be nice to have a slightly more steady tempo and more dynamic variation, or at least so it seems to my ears. It may also be due to the recording, but I feel like the melody is more or less at a uniform dynamic range throughout. You could try to put some more oomph into the resolutions, and delineate different phrases by introducing more pauses.

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc Very nice, and you convey the mood really well! I am a sucker for these kinds of melodies. I think you could try to intensify the effect you are going for more in a number of ways. If you try to think of the phrases more in relation to each other, you could weave a more consistent narrative. For example, consider the first part of the first phrase from 0:00-0:05, and then the second part from 0:05-0:09. Try to make the second feel even more like a response to the first. The way I imagine it is it being more rhythmically abrupt and staccato ("tight") at the end, more like a period at the end of a sentence. In that way, the first two "clauses" would connect better. In general, I really like what you're doing here, but it feels a bit subdued. Imagine that you're playing with more risk and abandon, creating a frenzy in an astonished crowd. More joie de vivre. I find that mental visualization like that helps to get you in a frame of mind where you're better able to play these kinds of evocative folk-like melodies.

Last edited by ranjit; 08/15/21 03:39 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Talão
Originally Posted by wouter79
Yes the first 3 notes are a bit crushed. They should be separate.

>I'm sure it's challenging to play and you sounded perfectly in control of what was happening.

There are some hiccups through most of my recordings. These first notes here are one of them :-) It's hard for me to get the first notes right in a fast piece like this. I think the problem is that the hand does not get to the right depth before I start playing but I'm still not sure.

<The Ballet piece was *gorgeous* and then I realized I *had* heard it before :-)

Really? Here on PW ?

I didn't mean just 3 notes and I didn't mean to say *you* messed it up. I meant that the piece itself sounds disorganized in a melodic way (to my inexperienced ears, which are accustomed to a certain kind of music). I can't explain this better in words :-) As I said, I'm sure this was the composer's intention.

As for where I've heard it, I can't tell. It's just that feeling you get when a piece sounds familiar and you're like "oh yeah, I know this from somewhere." :-)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Good point about lacking melody, yes I see what you mean now :-) . I do hear a melody when I play the first piece, but that melody is a bit hidden in all the other notes and it does not match well with the slurs and accents that Heller placed there. I never tried hard to bring out a melody in this piece. Yes, Heller probably did not think melody here.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by tyschoco
05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)
Some Heller etudes yay laugh
No 24, Over Hill and Dale: This etude is surprisingly challenging a good attempt at it, your voicing is coming through and dynamic ideas are there I'll leave a few more critical comments in a spoiler tag:
This etude is really challenging due to the speed as well as the need to keep the fingerwork very clear and precise, currently the 2nd and 3rd of note of each triplets are getting ghosted thus making the piece feel a little unsteady. Perhaps some cleaning up on the fingerwork would be serve the piece better? smile

Yes, thanks for the suggestions for improving clarity. However I don't have a good idea on how to do this. I don't have a teacher currently, not sure if/when that will be possible again...

No 20, Ballet: Quite clean! good use of the pedal as there is very minimal (if any) mushing of the harmonies. You have a good touch on this piece and nice phrasing ideas are coming through, a very enjoyable listen.
You picked a manageable tempo for this. This etude i believe needs to be played much much faster than your rendition to bring out both the Allegro performance marking as well as the technical facility that the etude is written for such as broken chords, voiced melody on chords and the rapid left hand figures.

This feels the right tempo to me. The title says ballet, so I assume it refers to some ballet dance. I'm playing the 8th notes around 120bpm as I'm imagining the dancers stepping on these notes. Imho it sounds ridiculous fast and totally undancable if yo take quarter =120, check eg
What speed are you then thinking?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
I'm surprised at how much effort people have put into their performances so far, they are consistently very good!

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1 This is really beautiful, and the it's my first time listening to the piece. You play the individual phrases really well, but I think you could try to do more in terms of the overall structure. Right now, every repeat of the main theme sounds very similar. If you're repeating the same thing verbatim, the listener will grow tired of it! I think about it this way -- suppose you introduce a theme in a speech, say "A healthy mind in a healthy body" or something. The next time, you wouldn't repeat it verbatim, but say something like "Taking care of your health is very important for mental stability". And in conclusion, "And therefore, ladies and gentlemen, a healthy mind..." I find that the same goes with pieces of music. Each repeat means something different in the overarching narrative structure.

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella Very elegant playing! The theme reminds me of the Age of Empires soundtrack, and other pieces which try to achieve a royal sound. It sounds 'golden'.

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei Very whimsical atmosphere! The key change (I think) at 1:26 was a bit unexpected and very rewarding to listen to.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett) Fabulous! It does indeed sound very playful. It's really nice to get to know these pieces.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1 It almost sounds jazzy! Nice, quiet atmosphere.

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576 Hey, are harpsichords allowed?! Really nice sound, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the instrument to comment on the playing. I will remark, however, that it's possible to do trills at that speed on a piano as well, but unfortunately I can only do it with my right hand.

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land Really nice piece, and well played! You rush a bit after starting quite slow. I think you would get a better effect by sticking to the slow tempo for a while, and playing with rubato. You can still play the individual notes fast, while adding in pauses creating a slightly accented feel. When I hear it, the piece sounds cool at the slow tempo you start out with, but warm at the faster tempo you take later on. My advice would be to pick one of the two, and stick with it. I get a feeling that this piece is meant to sound "cool as ice", try to see if that analogy makes sense in your conception of the music.

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Cleanly played, well done.

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude For a second, I was shocked that an adult beginner was playing Oscar Peterson, before I read the description. No offense, lol. Nice attempt! I feel like with the metronome/backing track in the background, you are playing a bit more stilted than you would otherwise. My suggestion would be not to worry if you go a bit ahead of or behind the beat when it comes to the melody, and just try to listen and follow what you hear. This is obviously easier said than done, but I think it's the mindset which will eventually improve your playing in the style.

I've been at this for quite a while, I'll listen to the rest sometime later.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky You play quite well, good on you for memorizing the piece! You've got the notes down, but I feel that this needs a bit more swing. What I would personally try is to listen to a recording, such as this one, and try to hum or tap out the oom-pah accompaniment. Then, record yourself singing the accompaniment according to the felt rhythm. After you do this for a few minutes, get back to the piano and try to see if you can get your left hand to play along with that rhythm. You can either go by feel, or try to imitate the rhythm you sang and recorded.
Thanks for the comment but no it's not supposed to swing. It's notated 6/8 and the upbeat shouldn't be accented. The tempo is dotted quarter=69-80 and I'm playing it on the faster end of that tempo. Actually, I have a recording from RCM and now I think I would add more dynamic contrast, playing the middle part softer. But I recorded that a few days after the last recital and don't intend to go back to it now.

Congrats to everyone who successfully submitted to the online recital. As there is this technical feedback wanted yes/no issue, I just give feedback to everyone, no matter if you want or not. To whose who really don't want to get feedback: Sorry - you have to come over it!

Btw: I believe I also had clicked yes, but I am not 100% sure, it's some time ago.

32. Maira713 - Op. 1 No. 4 ("24 Short and Easy Pieces for Keyboard") It is really nice to see someone with less than 1 year of playing exerience. Between all the semi-pros and pros, it can be intimidating. But you did this piece very well and I can recognize your learning method is kind of the russion school. (Putting focus on accuracy and proper technique right at the start). And you did it right. Well done! You have quite some talent for piano playing.

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5 You have a very good separation between the tones. Very accurate rendition of this piece. Thanks for sharing.

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3 This was a very fast piece, and it was fast for both hands. I loved how you played it that flawless. Also liked those page turning pauses - without being a pause. Nice to see on the video.

35. KevinM - Songs Without Words Opus 19 No. 1 Your hands seem so relaxed on the keyboard. You said, you can hardly manage this tempo. Well, as a listener from outside, I would have stated you mastered it. And I don't think it is too slow. In my opinion it was just at right tempo and I enjoyed it very much. I also don't think, you've bitten more than you can chew. And if so, then you did grow with this piece. It is a relieve to see how far one can get within 3 years of playing. I hope I can reach similar level in time.

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements) Very lovely interpretation of Beethoven's Sonatina. Loved both movements. The 2nd one always makes me wanna sing some text with "...over the sea... over the ocean". (Happened the same as with AndresVel's version) So there must be another song that sounds a bit similar with that text, but I don't get which one. Anyway, you did it very well, not to say flawless. For just a little more than two years of playing this is really impressive! Thanks for sharing.

37. Purrblast - Sonatina in A minor (Op. 27. No. 18) A very clean and accurate interpretation of this Sonatina. Loved the change to pianissimo near the end - you have quite some good control over dynamics. And about the tempo, for me it seems you had a hidden metronome somewhere in your head - very precise!

38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2 I love to see your fingers running up and down the keyboard with such an ease. And from what I could hear, this was a very impressive interpretation of Schubert. Lot of control over tempo and dynamic. Thanks for sharing.

39. Snejana - Contemplation
Very well done. Seems you have to gift for improvising. Keep doing it and keep posting in the recital. I really enjoyed listening to it!

40. PikaPianist - Waltz Op. 39, No. 9 Those Valentina's recording is indeed very charming. However I prefer your version as it has more liviness in it. Or as you said: more fire. Oh - and your video was very good filmed. Loved both camera angles - and needless to say I loved your playing.

41. Augustina - Expression Played with a lot of expression. I had the impression, you turned the page here and there. Apart of that, you played it really well. With picking up piano playing just a month ago and having the sheet music for only one week, your performance was spot on. It seems, you have a very good foundation in reading sheet music.

42. Amy H - Story of You Your playing sounds light as a feather. I guess this is exactly what the composer wanted to express. Thanks for sharing this music and thanks for pointing out this beautiful piece was written by a rather unknown composer. (For me). I really think it is a good idea to try out his music. I made a note for his name. At least this piece is one, I really loved to hear.

43. selfishplayer - Keyboard concerto no.7 in g minor BWV - 1058 first movement - Allegro piano solo This was your 1st try of recording? Impressive. From a listeners perspective there were no mistakes, at least no obvious. I guess you as the player are more critical to yourself. I also like the idea of an egoshooter-camera. It's a pity it was a bit dark. But hey, the audio was quite good captured, and this is what counts! Well done!

44. Rachtoven - Consolation No. 3
You did a very enjoyable interpretation of this piece. I am happy you decided to go for this recording over another version you said it has fewer mistakes, but also holds an weaker interpretation. As a person that does not know how this piece should sound, I did notice no mistakes at all. But I am able to tell if I like the expression. And yours was very good. Thanks for sharing this version.

45. tyschoco - Sonatina in G Major, Op 55 No.2 1st Movement, Allegretto Very nice executed "fast runs". I don't know the English term for that, as German I'd say "perlende Läufe". Very nice to listen to.

46. Pathbreaker - Alte Liebe (to do)
Very precisely played. A lot of control over tempo and dynamics. Only the 20 sec silence in the beginning made me thinking my audio output broke again. (Happens a lot, recently)

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc You're right that this piece has great energy and you put it on full display. It was much fun to listen to.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1 This is a lovely and smooth interpretation. I loved it!

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella What a treat to have a Satie Gnossienne by MarieJ followed by an original Gnossienne by Peyton. Was this coordinated? Anyway, this composition is really cool. It absolutely harkens back to Satie while at the same time forging its own path.

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei I am only familiar with the Traumerie by Schumann, so its was fantastic to be introduced to this composition. The harmonies and your use of dynamics really conveys a wistful daydreaming feeling. I really like this performance.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett) I think your use of constrasting articulation types between the different sections is very effective in this performance. It was a joy to listen to. Great job!

L
L
Thank you, Sam for putting these recitals together and giving me the opportunity to play for someone besides my spouse and the cat.

I'm guessing from the early comments that most people welcome comments. I don't feel qualified to provide technical comments. Mine are more of a meet and greet the performers that might occur after a live recital.

I'll start with a group that I haven't seen comments on yet:

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor Very refreshing listening! I'm hiding out from a heat wave as i write this.

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2 I like it! It's even better than the no. 20. Your enjoyment in playing the piece is evident.

18. psyche23 (Edwin) - Le Piccadilly Wow! Really nice. You do 'lively' very well.

19. Ted Jones - Wet Pavements I just realized from the title that you 'down under' folks are maybe enjoying some cool wet weather this time of year as I'm hiding out from our latest heat wave. Your improvisation was impressive!

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor Very nice Bach piece. It may be a long while before I could give it a go. Your lunch sounded good. I just had leftovers.

21. Calavera - Theme of Love I'm not familiar with the composer's music, so it sounded unique to me and very enjoyable.

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth Not disappointing at all! I love this waltz and you captured the essence of it.

23. peterws - Winter I was hoping to hear another of your original compositions, but your Tchaikovsky was delightful.

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso Well played! I would say you accomplished your objectives on this piece. Rock steady while being very musical.

25. Ganddalf - Tango Nice choice. I'm somewhat familiar with Albeniz from having played classical guitar, but rarely or maybe never hear his piano works.

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3 Nicely done. Your comments on the chords progressions and the church hymn section enhanced my listening experience.

T
T
Another Set of feedback!

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
I never usually delve into pieces of this style. But i have to say that you really bring out the character of this piece really well. From a technical standpoint, the crushed notes and ornaments are crisp and very well executed and your pulse and tempo is very steady. Good shaping ideas and great musical instinct. Really well done.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1
I love the atmosphere you are bring to this piece. You definitely have some dynamic and phrasing ideas there that are being brought out. Your crushed notes are done very gracefully, thus maintaining the character of the piece. My only nitpick is the melodic line could perhaps use a little more shaping? But it really is a fantastic rendition as is!

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei

You play this piece with very beautiful shaping and the atmosphere of the word "traumerei" is brought to the forefront. You arpeggiation and ornaments are clean. I like that you have brought out good dynamic ideas. Your musical instincts are rather spot on and the work you have been putting these past 4 years are showing. I have a few more comments on the critical side below in a spoiler tag:
I understand from your post you are likely learning this by ear. Based on a score i am referring from public domain, it seems you are taking quite a lot of liberty with the rhythm, to the point where it may be deviating too much from the original notation? For example there should not be a long pause before the ends of each arppegitation? Some Eighth notes in the score were extended to quarter notes which seems to create 'extra' beats in the music with the tempo tending to fluctuate a bit too much.
I am unsure if its because you referenced a performer who did this? I believe the Connoisseurs may not take kindly to the liberty taken. Personally, i feel that since your musical taste and playing are already so refined, it may serve the music better if it followed the sheet music more faithfully while still maintaining your personal spin on the piece. Hopefully this doesn't come off too strong!

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576
Oooo some Handel on a harpcichod! laugh I'll break my feedback into two parts

Prelude: Your playing is beautifully expressive and ornaments add beautifully to the piece. Your tempo is good and fingerwork is very very clean. You give good breathing points to the music to prevent it from sounding like a constant flurry of notes. You seem to be at ease playing this piece which makes for a very pleasing experience to me as the listener.

Allegro: It was played with so much character and shaping! The runs are crisp and you are bringing out the conversation between the hands rather well. A very enjoyable listen. I'll leave a couple of comments of a more subjective nature below:

Before i start, i think you should take my comment here with a grain of salt as this music of this period is very open to interpretation (no metronome marks and no historical recordings) and i am by no means a musicologist of any kind.
I personally think the piece should be slightly faster based on the recordings as well my own initial impression looking at the sheet music. Especially for the Allegro movement. However, i will say that your tempo is perfectly valid as it gives the piece a more easy going feel and the listener is able to discern the notes better than faster interpretations. I personally enjoyed the tempo you picked and perhaps you are already aware of the faster interpretation out there and chose the slower tempo!
Oh how i wish we had recordings from that period to settle the debate on the tempo and performance practices of the time :')

17. dumka1 - Prelude Op. 11 no 2
This is so expressively played. I love the shaping ideas and the journey you take the listener through. You seem very aware of the colours this piece has to offer and draw attention where its due. Your rubato and done very tastefully in tandem to your very good musical instincts. How i wish i could play pieces of this style as well as you. Really well done smile

20. QuentinP - WTK 1 Prelude 8 Eb minor
I have to say we are lacking in bach in this recital compared to the previous one for some reason lol.
I can only say its really really good. You follow the rhythm dutifully while giving just enough time in certain places to allow the piece to be shaped beautifully. Your phrasing is splendid and i definitely am gonna look into this when i eventually get to the well tempered klavier. My only small nitpick is perhaps where the left hand has a melody, it could be shaped a little more to bring the conversation between the voices more? I wonder how it would sound on an acoustic piano, perhaps even more colors would open up to give even more justice to your playing.

Thoroughly enjoying everyone's submission so far, seems everyone has brought their A game here.

T
T
This feels the right tempo to me. The title says ballet, so I assume it refers to some ballet dance. I'm playing the 8th notes around 120bpm as I'm imagining the dancers stepping on these notes. Imho it sounds ridiculous fast and totally undancable if yo take quarter =120, check eg
What speed are you then thinking?

Link doesn't seem to be working for some reason haha!

You are absolutely right that the title does say ballet so it does indeed refer to some sort of ballet dance. However, i personally think in this situation, it refers to a more energetic ballet as opposed to a more expressive and elegant one, with regards to the steps the dancers take, i personally think that the steps would be done on every quarter note as opposed to each 8th note given the piece's time signature. Additionally, given that this is an etude. It implies that Heller wrote this to develop a pianist's technical ability, i would assume he wanted it at a higher tempo to develop some technical skill in the pianist playing this.

There are some rather fast recordings out there, something is on the more leisurely side would be this one, i feel it isn't too crazy fast but still played with expression and good singing tone.

As i said in my initial post, i think your playing was well put together. I am just coming from a standpoint from my teacher or other professionals who would insist on the faster tempo given the points said above. But please do not let my comments take away from the work you have put it. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Last edited by tyschoco; 08/15/21 09:26 PM.
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Here’s another participant who thought the ‘yes’ box had been ticked … I’m giving feedback to everyone as usual (but mine never qualifies as ‘technical’, anyway).

Once again, biggest thanks to Sam for all of the work he puts in to these inspirational Recitals.

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky Bright and … sneaky! It WAS fun to listen to!

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu Congratulations on your first Recital, Ranjit - and what a debut! Five years self-taught and you achieve this? I’m in awe.

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 That was truly wonderful, Shepherd. I’m not technically enlightened enough to know how much difference your new mics made, but the sound of your Steingraeber was simply stunning.

04. Sam S - Etude 2 Bass notes to send shivers up the spine - you could believe that Philip Glass wrote much of his work for the C3 smile. Your selection of beautiful photos enhanced a very special presentation.

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20) I’m not familiar with much of Heller’s work, but ‘he writes nice pieces indeed.’ I particularly liked the second part - well done, Wouter!

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc Good things come in small parcels - that left me wanting more. Loved the exuberance of your performance and I thought your pace was just right.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1 Not there - (yet).

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella As someone who loves both Satie AND Leonard Cohen, I was really looking forward to this. And I wasn’t disappointed, Peyton - what an absolute delight. (I hope Stella is well on the way to recovery.)

I doubt that I will ever be able to do your composition justice, but I’d treasure a copy of the score. Please!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIII

My C3 - solace. And joy.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Listening at random.

04. Sam S - Etude 2
Very nice atmosphere. It is indeed like a matra. I wonder what it's like to play a piece like that. Do you enter a kind of meditative state of contemplation or are you too busy thinking about your interpretation?

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu
It's impressive that you can play this piece at all after less than 6 years. The fast parts sounded a bit struggled at times and I think it's still too much of a stretch for you but still overall it was a pretty good performance. Well done.

22. mmathew - Waltz in a minor, B.150 Posth
I played this piece too (who didn't?) and it doesn't sound like a simplified version to me. Don't worry too much about ornaments. As the name implies they are decorative in nature and I think it's not such a big deal to omit some as long as the character of the piece is preserved. The left hand is a bit too loud and "thumpy" if you know what I mean. It should have a more delicate dance-like character rather than your matter-of-fact stepping on the ground. Try (slightly) accenting the downbeat and playing the other too very lightly. Also the arpeggios at 0:56 and later are uneven and disconnected. Try working on making them more fluid. But overall I think you did quite well. Keep up the good job.

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer
Wow! It's pretty amazing that you played this as your first piece and after only 7 months of self-teaching. Especially that it was a very musical and balanced interpretation. You conveyed the character of this piece so well I found myself nodding and tapping my foot. Nicely done!

A nice atmospheric interpretation of this piece. My only small nitpick is that the end seems to be a bit abrupt. I would make that last phrase much softer and dreamlike, like a faint echo.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576 Hey, are harpsichords allowed?! Really nice sound, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the instrument to comment on the playing. I will remark, however, that it's possible to do trills at that speed on a piano as well, but unfortunately I can only do it with my right hand.
Yes, harpsichords are allowed - we have had that question in the previous recital already. Sam owns a real acoustic harpsichord he restored himself. Yes, a skilled pianist can play trills at that speed on a good grand piano as well, but most uprights won't do that job...

Oooo some Handel on a harpcichod! laugh I'll break my feedback into two parts

Prelude: Your playing is beautifully expressive and ornaments add beautifully to the piece. Your tempo is good and fingerwork is very very clean. You give good breathing points to the music to prevent it from sounding like a constant flurry of notes. You seem to be at ease playing this piece which makes for a very pleasing experience to me as the listener.

Allegro: It was played with so much character and shaping! The runs are crisp and you are bringing out the conversation between the hands rather well. A very enjoyable listen. I'll leave a couple of comments of a more subjective nature below:

Before i start, i think you should take my comment here with a grain of salt as this music of this period is very open to interpretation (no metronome marks and no historical recordings) and i am by no means a musicologist of any kind.
I personally think the piece should be slightly faster based on the recordings as well my own initial impression looking at the sheet music. Especially for the Allegro movement. However, i will say that your tempo is perfectly valid as it gives the piece a more easy going feel and the listener is able to discern the notes better than faster interpretations. I personally enjoyed the tempo you picked and perhaps you are already aware of the faster interpretation out there and chose the slower tempo!
Oh how i wish we had recordings from that period to settle the debate on the tempo and performance practices of the time :')
Dear Tyschoco, thanks for your well-founded comment based on solid knowledge. You seem to know quite much about music and are certainly not "only" some student who is learning to play the piano. Your rendition of the Kuhlau piece is almost impeccable. And your English sounds like native. You are perfectly right that we do not know the exact tempo the composers of the Baroque era had in mind - that is a general "problem" when it comes to performing that kind of music. I suppose you have listened to the recording by Roberto Loreggian which seems to be the only existing recording of HWV 576. Yes, I knew this recording before and had the impression lots of details get lost at that speed and deliberately chose a slower tempo. Greetings from Hamburg.

Q
Q
Thanks for another great recital Sam! And a collective well done to everyone who has participated this time round. I've really enjoyed everything I have listened to so far and here are my first lot of comments:

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
A lovely swinging rhythm with the hint of a naughty wink. Great playing.

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu
Well done attempting this fiendish piece with 5 years’ experience!

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545
This was a very enjoyable and thoughtful performance, and I don’t have anything negative to point out beyond what you already have yourself. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Well done.

04. Sam S - Etude 2
I love Glass. Yes, it’s minimalist, but yet so rich and full of emotion. Terrific, affecting performance. Nice slideshow too.

No 24: Some unevenness in the RH rhythm was a little distracting but this sounds like a deceptively difficult number, and overall the tempo felt consistent. No 20: This had a lovely gentle energy. Well done on both.

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc
This felt fun and cheeky and was great to listen to.

Great rendition – eerie, questioning, and very much of “the tip of the thought”. Very occasionally some notes got a little bit lost, as though maybe the key was not completely pressed into the keybed? But that could just be the recording. Your dynamics and phrasing were really successful.

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella
Gorgeous. This has a soaring, meditative quality for me. Great playing.

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei
Lovely sensitive playing. This was indeed evocatively dreamy.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett)
What an interesting piece, I really enjoyed listening to this one. Great playing - beautiful dynamics and touch. I see what you mean about the title, perhaps she was thinking “emotional rollercoaster”, ha! Speaking of emotional rollercoasters, I too lost my piano mojo for a while earlier this year, which made me feel quite down and frustrated. But I can’t say I attempted anything in particular to resolve it, I largely just let it happen, trying not to stress too much. I guess I felt that trying to force things might make it worse. I still noodled a bit, and listened to a lot of piano music – did that help? Maybe? With time I just seemed to get my groove back for no particular reason (that I am aware of at least). Learning new repertoire can supposedly help getting out of a rut, but I didn’t try that. I’m sorry, that’s probably not particularly helpful, but I do feel you! For me, the piano can be a fickle mistress. When she’s shining on you it’s sparkling and wonderful, but when she’s not, man it’s cold in the shade.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1
Another really interesting piece and I enjoyed your thoughtful playing. Well done.

Great performance. The tempi felt just right and I particularly liked your phrasing.

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land
I very much enjoyed your expressive playing of this otherworldly and evocative piece.

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779)
Delightful. Your tone and articulation is great – the voices come out clearly and sound well-balanced.

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude
Nice! The improvisation was seamless and really impressive.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As Talão noticed, it sounds a bit confusing at the beginning. I think the issue is that we can't hear the meter very well. I had to look at the score and was surprised to find that it's in 3/4. I can imagine that such an etude with long runs of triplets is quite challenging. I just finished one like that myself (May Morning by Charles Gounod) and it's difficult to keep it flowing evenly throughout the piece while maintaining the steady beat. The second one was very nice. I think it's the ideal tempo.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you ranjit, Jason, tyschoco, and QuentinP for the nice comments. Much appreciated!

@tyschoco: I have learned the piece from sheet music, and then memorized it. As for the rythm issues, there are actually three things at play here. 1) The pauses after the arpeggios was a choice; I am familiar with five recordings, all of which stick entirely to the score, but I like it better with the pauses. 2) I had only memorized the work the day before the recording, and it still was not solidly implantet in my mind, so there are a few occasions where I had to pause briefly to remember what should come next. 3) And towards the end, one of the chords surprisingly (to me) came out much slower than intended, and I tried to "mend it" by playing the following chord as if the slow-down was part of the design. All right, you caught me. Well spotted! smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
A
A
Thank you ranjit and QuentinP for your lovely comments :)) I am very glad you enjoyed my submission

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779)
Coincidentally i just started learning this as well! Fun little piece. You choose a very suitable tempo for you and its very steady and clean. I like that. I think you should be rightly proud of your recording. If i am being nitpicky (since you have technical feedback on), the imitation between the voices could be brought out more and perhaps more energy could be in the playing, maybe when you get even better, a faster tempo may serve in that pursuit? But overall this is really good!

Thank you very much tyschoco for your detailed comment. I am glad you liked my submission. I will pay more attention to the interplay between voices for future inventions or when I pick up this piece again. I put a lot of attention to it as I learned the piece but it might end up not being so evident on the recording. Most of the recordings of this invention are played faster, a lot of them too fast IMO. At some point the voice interplay is really hard to notice and articulations are also lost. I enjoy a lot Gould's tempo, which was something I was kind of striving to, but still did not manage to achieve consistently smirk I agree with you that a faster tempo helps to give some more dynamism to the piece overall, I even noticed sometimes when trying to play the piece way faster for fun. Achieving consistency at a higher tempo would have required me some more weeks of practice though, and I wanted to move on to new challenges. I look forward to listen to your take on this piece soon :)) Thank you again for listening and for your feedback. I really appreciate it :))).

Last edited by AndresVel; 08/16/21 07:23 AM.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
A
A
I am just starting to listen some of the submission. Thank you very much Sam for putting this together, and to everyone who submitted something, contributing to keep this tradition alive. Here my first batch of comments.

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky This one was a fun to listen to. I am sure it is a pleasure to play. It also fits perfectly with the name of the piece. Your playing was very good, giving it the right flavor. Thanks for sharing.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1 Lovely John! I had commented already on your video some weeks ago. I always enjoy your uploads and the way you play Scriabin compositions. One can tell you really like and enjoy the pieces you present. Looking forward to more Scriabin in the future :))

21. Calavera - Theme of Love I always enjoy your submissions. Your playing is always so clean and flawless. This one was no exception. I have to agree with you that some sections of the piece, specially at the beginning, do not sound so original. But the piece builds up enormously! I loved the end of the middle section, so much passion, and you mastered it and drew me into the piece. That part sounded very Rachmaninovian haha. I loved your submission. Thank you for sharing smile I am wondering now how do you choose your repertoire. Do you know the pieces from playing the corresponding video game? Or do you listen regularly the full albums?

31. winterflower - I soar now the embers have cooled I am always amazed by those here who submit improvisations. It seems so daunting to me. I liked this one, it had a very nice melody all throughout. Thank you very much for sharing smile

41. Augustina - Expression I had never heard from this composer before, so thank you for introducing me to new music. I think you did a great job in spite of the short time practicing the score. Very nice playing.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission