2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (Abdol, brdwyguy, bobrunyan, 36251, Animisha, Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, Alan F, BachToTheFuture, 13 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 518 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Many piano makers brag about how long it takes to build their pianos, but my impression is that at least some, and perhaps a lot, of the time in their calculation is passive. By this I mean things like drying the wood both outside and inside, letting the rims sit for some time after they are bent, letting the case finishing coats dry in between successive applications, and other things I'm not aware of.

So how long does it really take to build a piano? Your answer can talk about building it a lot by hand or building it in a factory like Yamaha or Hailun. Or, if you prefer, give us your estimate of what percentage of the time is really what I called passive time.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Didn't Steinway put out a video a number of years ago demonstrating that it took a full year to build a concert grand? That's assuming that the wood and soundboard had already been appropriately "seasoned". The actual hands-on work, if I remember correctly, ran to about one year.

Notes to the YT video:
The making of a Steinway piano is a time-honored process involving the hands of many skilled craftspeople over the course of almost a full year. Steinway & Sons pianos are built in just two factories worldwide - one in Astoria, NY and one in Hamburg, Germany.

Anyone else recall that video?

Building a Steinway

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
Didn't Steinway put out a video a number of years ago demonstrating that it took a full year to build a concert grand? That's assuming that the wood and soundboard had already been appropriately "seasoned". The actual hands-on work, if I remember correctly, ran to about one year.

Notes to the YT video:
The making of a Steinway piano is a time-honored process involving the hands of many skilled craftspeople over the course of almost a full year. Steinway & Sons pianos are built in just two factories worldwide - one in Astoria, NY and one in Hamburg, Germany.

Anyone else recall that video?

Building a Steinway

Regards,
If that's all that was said about build time, it sounds to me like they included a lot of passive time.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
I think you’re right, that the amount of active processing is relatively low.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Y
Y
For what its worth I ordered a Yamaha GB1K in February and from what I understand it is still being produced. So even a simplified cabinetry design from Yamaha takes like half a year. Probably compounded by covid as well

G
G
Bechstein gives numbers for at least some of their pianos, e.g. for a A124 they say 120 work hours over 7 months:

https://www.bechstein.com/en/uprigh...a-124-imposant/schwarz-mit-messing-1743/

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Maybe the production time naturally adjusts to demand, considering pianos are supposed to last even longer than cars, maybe one, two lifetimes. If demand is brisk (there are upwards 40 million piano students in China alone) I'm sure they can churn them out, too.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Gretel
Bechstein gives numbers for at least some of their pianos, e.g. for a A124 they say 120 work hours over 7 months:

https://www.bechstein.com/en/uprigh...a-124-imposant/schwarz-mit-messing-1743/
Thanks for that interesting link.

The C. Bechstein 212 lists 420-500 work hours(depending on "model", which I assume must be the outer veneer choice or case style) over 15 months. So it appears that the actual work time is a small fraction. (less than 1/5) of the time from start to finish. For a 40 hour work week, the work hours translate to around 10.5 6o 12.5 weeks of work time.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Maybe the production time naturally adjusts to demand, considering pianos are supposed to last even longer than cars, maybe one, two lifetimes. If demand is brisk (there are upwards 40 million piano students in China alone) I'm sure they can churn them out, too.
What you call production time doesn't seem to be the same as work time(the total number of man hours to build the piano) which I think would remain constant.

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What you call production time doesn't seem to be the same as work time(the total number of man hours to build the piano) which I think would remain constant.
Not even if you have the line supervisor yelling on the megaphone ? (Faster! Cheaper! Faster!)

grin

Last edited by cygnusdei; 08/15/21 05:41 AM.
Online Content
In the late 1990s Joe Pramberger went to the Young Chang factory in S. Korea to design what would become the Pramberger Platinum Series. To accommodate him, if he submitted his changes by 4pm, a prototype would be ready by 8am the next morning!

For example, he eliminated one or two ribs from the U131 upright and redistributed the remaining ribs across the board. The prototype was ready the next morning.

This is not to say that pianos take less than a day to produce, but to give you an idea that it doesn't take as long as you might think.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
This is not to say that pianos take less than a day to produce, but to give you an idea that it doesn't take as long as you might think.
At large scale I'd imagine they could churn out pianos as fast as they can acquire and cure the wood for the cabinet.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
When you make a grand with a continuous laminated rim, the wood laminations must be "wet" to be bent around the form without cracking. Most factories use microwaves to cure the glue, but the cured rim still contains too much moisture. Cured rims sit for a couple of months before you can make them into a piano.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 08/15/21 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
When Pramberger was Steinway VP of Manufacturing; I doubt his staff could make changes like that in a month.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Production planning is actually a very sophisticated process, scheduling inputs, processes, labor, etc, to provide finished products.

Interesting 5 minute overview here:

How to Upload Pictures

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Production planning is actually a very sophisticated process, scheduling inputs, processes, labor, etc, to provide finished products.
Interesting 5 minute overview here.

... and that's just for the hammers !!!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Interesting 5 minute overview here.

... and that's just for the hammers !!!

grin

It'd be cool to see the complete Bill of Materials for a piano! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe this is somewhat related. I am rebuilding 5 pianos a year by myself. I work from 9:00 am to midnight 6 days a week. There is a lot of overlap, for example, when parts are curing, i usually shift over to rebuilding the actions during that time. And I sub-contract sometimes to meet schedules, and I use a refinsher who is superb (better than me anyways). So i do get pianos out within a year. I usually spend the evenings making videos lately, which has been a fun diversion. Sometimes i even get to drag the wife into the process.
-chris

Last edited by Chernobieff Piano; 08/17/21 12:36 AM.

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
Youtube https://tinyurl.com/5aw83b73

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
Maybe this is somewhat related. I am rebuilding 5 pianos a year by myself. I work from 9:00 am to midnight 6 days a week. There is a lot of overlap, for example, when parts are curing, i usually shift over to rebuilding the actions during that time. And I sub-contract sometimes to meet schedules, and I use a refinsher who is superb (better than me anyways). So i do get pianos out within a year. I usually spend the evenings making videos lately, which has been a fun diversion. Sometimes i even get to drag the wife into the process.
-chris
You manage to retain a wife, working 15 hour days, 6 days a week? Geez, you must be brilliant on day 7! grin

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
"One instrument takes one month to make." Fascinating video:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg D1 with iReal Pro
by Johnmak - 10/16/21 09:40 AM
Korg EC-310
by mandan - 10/16/21 08:35 AM
Shell voicings?
by Dantheboogieguy - 10/16/21 07:59 AM
Learning Piece From the End
by Damien PG - 10/16/21 07:05 AM
Best all-purpose gig keyboard (61/63) key
by KeyToneEK - 10/16/21 06:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,615
Posts3,140,061
Members103,008
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission