2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 150 of 191 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 190 191
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
I just updated my phone and subsequently lost all my saved presets.

I had no warning this would happen. So just a heads up to take pics of your saved preset before updating android or ios.

I don't believe this should happen. Can you please provide more information about the device/OS you're using (if Android, which flavour/version, how was the update performed)? Did you lose the data for any other apps?

The next time I update my Android device, I'll check that the PianoRemote user data is retained.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Hi James, appreciate all your contributions to the thread and you keeping tabs on it for so long! Thanks for taking the time to listen, respond, and pass on feedback. Despite my questions/criticisms below, I do love the CA79 and want you to know that I am a very happy customer. With that said...

Are any plans to update the management of saved presets? I know it's already been mentioned in this thread, but there are some glaringly large flaws. For one, not being able to delete individual presets. And two, as best I can tell, you can't overwrite an existing preset, which means anytime I want to tweak an existing preset (or even just rename it) I have to add yet another preset, and I can't easily delete the old one. This can get out of control really easily, and I don't look forward to having to write down all my "real" presets on paper so I can wipe them all via the Settings menu and then rebuild only the ones I truly still want. If I'm missing anything here, please let me know. Otherwise would appreciate you passing the feedback on if you have any tracking system for this kind of thing. The piano is amazing, but the preset management is perplexingly primitive.

Lastly, is there a reason that reverb and effects can't be applied to the SK-EX Rendering piano? I can imagine there are technical limitations since it is a modeling piano, but I'm not a huge fan of the ambiences available compared to some of the reverb options for the other pianos.

I
I
Yes! Cabinet resonance and string resonance would both be welcome features to Sk-ex rendering mode.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 08/13/21 03:24 PM.
I
I
It is a Oneplus 7t Pro, android oxygen Os 11.0.2.1.HD01BA.
My phone prompted me there was an update available and I had my phone connected to piano via Bluetooth to play music at the time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PMan79
[...]Lastly, is there a reason that reverb and effects can't be applied to the SK-EX Rendering piano? I can imagine there are technical limitations since it is a modeling piano, but I'm not a huge fan of the ambiences available compared to some of the reverb options for the other pianos.
No, it is not a modeled piano. It's a sample-based piano engine, evolution of the previous HI-XL.

A modeled piano engine is Pianoteq, or the engine inside the Roland V-Piano or inside the Viscount Physis DPs.

P
P
Originally Posted by magicpiano
No, it is not a modeled piano. It's a sample-based piano engine, evolution of the previous HI-XL.

A modeled piano engine is Pianoteq, or the engine inside the Roland V-Piano or inside the Viscount Physis DPs.

Sorry, I wasn't very precise in my language, I was referring to the fact that the resonance is modeled and it's not purely a sample-based piano.

Hello PMan79,

Are any plans to update the management of saved presets?

I'm afraid I cannot disclose any information about planned features. However, this topic (User data management) has been mentioned in the past, so it's possible that some changes will be made to this behaviour. I cannot promise anything, though. wink

Lastly, is there a reason that reverb and effects can't be applied to the SK-EX Rendering piano?

I believe this is a specification of the SK-EX Rendering sound engine, and not something that is likely to change.

Kind regards,
James
x

It is a Oneplus 7t Pro, android oxygen Os 11.0.2.1.HD01BA.
My phone prompted me there was an update available...

Thanks for the info.

Did you backup your phone data before updating the OS?
A brief Google search points to other users who have lost data after updating Oxygen OS.

For what it's worth, I just updated to the latest Android build available for my phone, and don't appear to have lost any data, and my PianoRemote "User Sounds" are still accessible. However, I expect this depends on how the OS is updated, and which partitions of the device are modified by the updater.

By the way, may I ask you this again:
Originally Posted by Kawai Japan
Did you lose the data for any other apps?

Regarding this:
...and I had my phone connected to piano via Bluetooth to play music at the time.

I don't believe it's a factor.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Are the CA79/CA99 fundamentally identical if you only play through headphones? Both in action and sound quality?

So many reviews perhaps understandably play using speakers, or feed us the line out, but they barely ever talk about sound quality over headphones. And considering one of the main reasons people buy digital pianos is for silent play/practice it seems an important element of the experience.

Last edited by mrklaw; 08/14/21 03:21 AM.
Originally Posted by mrklaw
Are the CA79/CA99 fundamentally identical if you only play through headphones? Both in action and sound quality?

Yes.

However, the CA99 has a total of 90 sounds compared to the CA79's 66 sounds.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
J
I don't see how action would be different if you're comparing playing through headphones or not.

But I'm also curious about the sound quality through headphones compared to speakers. So the Ca99 has a soundboard which makes it sound 'fuller'? What would it mean if you listen through headphones?

I
I
I did not lose data for any other apps James.
There was a loud pop after I restarted my phone, perhaps it was just the fact I restarted my phone while music was playing, it confused the piano and made it glitch out.

M
M
Originally Posted by JohnKao
I don't see how action would be different if you're comparing playing through headphones or not.

But I'm also curious about the sound quality through headphones compared to speakers. So the Ca99 has a soundboard which makes it sound 'fuller'? What would it mean if you listen through headphones?

This was another thing I was wondering about. If there is/could be a ‘hybrid’ headphone mode. You want to play on headphones at loud/reference volumes because that would be too loud for your family/neighbours if played on the speakers. But maybe the soundboard/transducers could still be used to blend in some tactile vibration through the chassis back to your fingers/feet? Would generate some sound but could be adjustable to find the right balance for quiet playing

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Mrklaw: that is an interesting proposal, but unfortunately the laws of physics do not agree with you... The oscillation of the soundboard gives tactile feedback only if its energy is large, and that creates LOUD sounds. It is a proportional effect. You cannot have tactile feedback and quiet sound. You can do that by some gimmick vibration on the keyboard (yamaha does that in some models) but not through the soundboard.

Last edited by vagfilm; 08/14/21 09:29 AM.
I did not lose data for any other apps James.

Okay, I see.

There was a loud pop after I restarted my phone, perhaps it was just the fact I restarted my phone while music was playing, it confused the piano and made it glitch out.

If the instrument was receiving Bluetooth Audio before the transmitting device (your phone, in this case) was restarted, I can understand why this would cause a sudden pop.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Whenever that happens to me, I pray to all gods to not blow one of my speakers.

It's always scary.

Ron

If the instrument was receiving Bluetooth Audio before the transmitting device (your phone, in this case) was restarted, I can understand why this would cause a sudden pop.

Kind regards,
James
x[/quote]

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
I
I
Well the speaker was blown when it arrived to me haha so would make no difference. I am yet another victim of buzzing speakers. Technician is replacing loud speaker on Tuesday. I'm excited to see how much more real it will sound without the constant buzz.

I hope it is fixable as I can't live without this piano now that I've customised it to my liking. The sound is just sublime - especially so with the sustain pedal.
And NV5S is way out my budget.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 08/14/21 12:14 PM.
G
G
This was another thing I was wondering about. If there is/could be a ‘hybrid’ headphone mode. You want to play on headphones at loud/reference volumes because that would be too loud for your family/neighbours if played on the speakers. But maybe the soundboard/transducers could still be used to blend in some tactile vibration through the chassis back to your fingers/feet? Would generate some sound but could be adjustable to find the right balance for quiet playing

Great idea!!

I think yamaha n3x uses such technique.

Galuwen

Last edited by Galuwen; 08/15/21 05:11 PM.
J
J
Dear members of this forum,

Thank you very much for all the information provided in this thread. I have learned a lot about the CA79.

At the moment I am thinking about buying a new digital piano. I am relatively tall (1,90) and appreciate the large legroom of the Kawai models.

I have already played the CA79. I like the keyboard very much.
However, I do not like the default setting of the sounds and had to change it. After a restart, however, my chosen setting was set back to default.

Is this a bug or did I do something wrong? I would like that the CA79 remembers which sound has been played last with which sound parameters and starts up with exactly that setting. I do not want to change the parameters with every start of the instrument.

Greetings from Germany,
Julian

D
D
You can set your custom sound to be used at startup. During bootup process, it will let you play after 5 seconds, but it will be the default sound until the bootup sequence is complete (about half a minute), after which it will automatically change to anything you've set.

Page 150 of 191 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission