2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (benQF, Candywoman, Adypiano, anotherscott, Boboulus, Brendan, 36251, 16 invisible), 862 guests, and 645 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3145029 08/10/21 04:54 PM
OP Offline
Tiffany Poon is a wonderful pianist and ingratiating YouTuber. Here, she plays on a S&S piano numbered 200,000 from 1920, which Steinway has restored and specified as historic. She has some interesting comments about its tone and ambience as she plays. The instrument is beautiful.

1978 Chickering & Sons
“Patrician,” 5’ 8.5” (178 cm)
Aeolian American
East Rochester, NY
M
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
She's escaping the higher/faster/louder tendency of a lot younger pianists. And the piano doesn't suck, either.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Does anyone know if this piano was restored with an attempt at historical accuracy? If not(which I suspect is the case), it's basically a modern Steinway in an historic case.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have tuned #199999.

Semipro Tech
K
K
I've played a #199,995 smile

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Does anyone know if this piano was restored with an attempt at historical accuracy? If not(which I suspect is the case), it's basically a modern Steinway in an historic case.

She actually says later in the video that everything is brand new except for the plate and the keyboard, so it's basically a new Steinway in the old case.

YAMAHA Artist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I believe it was rebuilt in 2017. I just saw this piano, 12 days ago, but I didn't play it.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
What do you mean by the case? Do you mean the rim is still original? We all know that Yamaha created a very warm "vintage" sound in the SX series by artificially aging the rim. So a 100 year old rim with new soundboard/strings/hammers might give you a sound similar the SX series. I haven't watched the video yet but will watch later.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sonepica
What do you mean by the case? Do you mean the rim is still original? We all know that Yamaha created a very warm "vintage" sound in the SX series by artificially aging the rim. So a 100 year old rim with new soundboard/strings/hammers might give you a sound similar the SX series. I haven't watched the video yet but will watch later.

No, we don't all know that. We know that Yamaha made a number of changes of changes for the SX series (including the rim) which together modify the sound and which to you sounds of a "vintage" character, whatever that means. It would be helpful if you don't without evidence keep associating a final effect with just one design feature when in reality many design choices work together to achieve the final result.

That said the rim design and artificial ageing may have significant benefits (or not), the SX pianos do have a nice tone.

Last edited by gwing; 08/11/21 06:02 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by Sonepica
No, we don't all know that. We know that Yamaha made a number of changes of changes for the SX series (including the rim) which together modify the sound and which to you sounds of a "vintage" character, whatever that means. It would be helpful if you don't without evidence keep associating a final effect with just one design feature when in reality many design choices work together to achieve the final result.
Of course.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Spacious room? Yes. Good pianist? Yes. Good mics? yes. Good piano? Yes, if everything it's brand new, this is basically a new Steinway in an old case, and the old wood of the case has its own mojo, and sounds normally better than a newer case.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

She actually says later in the video that everything is brand new except for the plate and the keyboard, so it's basically a new Steinway in the old case.
I assumed everything was new on such an old piano. My question was if the new parts were chosen with an attempt to make the piano sound like it did when it was first built. My guess is both the materials and design of the original are not the same as Steinway uses today.

Interesting Video
I have a question:

My Steinway is #157808 (1912)
I noticed Tiffany described this piano as 'sensitive' #200000 (1920)

Did Steinway, by design and regulating/tuning, make their pianos a certain feel for 'the times/era'?

Bold and Broad in the 30's 40's?
Sensitive and Sweet in the 10's 20's?

Did societal changes affect the way Steinway built pianos etc etc etc?

I ask this because I have noticed that in the last few weeks of playing my piano has a very very sensitive feel to it
whereas other pianos I have played, are more broad, big, 'grand'!

In other videos I have heard Tiffany say. . . ."this piano would be great for Beethoven" or this would be magnificent for Chopin"

Is that a good thing for pianos? That it is more proficient at certain types/styles of music?

Would love to hear others thoughts on this?

thanks
brdwyguy

PS don't get me wrong tho, my piano does very nicely with big pieces like Rhapsody in Blue, but the beauty really shines when I play melodic New Age or Lyrical Classical Pieces.

Last edited by brdwyguy; 08/11/21 07:02 AM.

Emerson Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)
Online Content
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
Interesting Video
I have a question:

My Steinway is #157808 (1912)
I noticed Tiffany described this piano as 'sensitive' #200000 (1920)

Did Steinway, by design and regulating/tuning, make their pianos a certain feel for 'the times/era'?

Bold and Broad in the 30's 40's?
Sensitive and Sweet in the 10's 20's?

Did societal changes affect the way Steinway built pianos etc etc etc?

I ask this because I have noticed that in the last few weeks of playing my piano has a very very sensitive feel to it
whereas other pianos I have played, are more broad, big, 'grand'!

In other videos I have heard Tiffany say. . . ."this piano would be great for Beethoven" or this would be magnificent for Chopin"

Is that a good thing for pianos? That it is more proficient at certain types/styles of music?

Would love to hear others thoughts on this?

thanks
brdwyguy

PS don't get me wrong tho, my piano does very nicely with big pieces like Rhapsody in Blue, but the beauty really shines when I play melodic New Age or Lyrical Classical Pieces.
I cannot answer your direct questions but here are some other thoughts to the best of my knowledge.

1. Tiffany is not an expert on pianos and descriptions like "sensitive" are, at best, extremely vague.
2. We don't yet know if this piano was rebuilt with the goal of historical accuracy, i.e. to try and make it sound like it did when it was first built. The piano may well be a totally modern Steinway with the old rim and plate.
3. For your own piano, if it has not been rebuilt it probably doesn't sound much like it did when it was first built. If it was rebuilt, then only if it has been rebuilt with the goal of historical accuracy will it(possibly) sound like it did when it was first built.
4. From what I've read on PW, the characteristic Steinway sound has changed somewhat over the last 120 years. Whether this was a conscious choice on Steinway's part I do not know.

Additions or corrections from more knowledgeable people are welcome.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/11/21 07:43 AM.
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Certainly no expert here, especially on Steinway. It would e really fun to play some pianos in the Steinway vault. Unfortunately I certainly can’t keep my great room to the same conditions as the Steinway vault so it would be only an opportunity to see and experience how the “upper class” used to live and the pianos they had and enjoyed. I do enjoy Tiffany’s videos. Again my heart says, “must be nice!”

I’m thankful for what I have. For the most part, life’s been good. 🙂

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
For some clarity, generally Steinway rebuilds with new soundboard designs (to a new scale design) and new key frames with a new action in an old rim and case. That means that this piano will perform like a new Steinway.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Thanks Rich
I assume you were talking to me? or did you mean #200,000? or BOTH?

LOL
best
brdwyguy

Emerson Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
For some clarity, generally Steinway rebuilds with new soundboard designs (to a new scale design) and new key frames with a new action in an old rim and case. That means that this piano will perform like a new Steinway.

Good to know. But I can’t afford a new Steinway either. 😋

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Certainly no expert here, especially on Steinway. It would e really fun to play some pianos in the Steinway vault.

I played probably 3 measures of "Pictures at an Exhibition" on the Pictures at an Exhibition art-case, in The Vault a couple weeks ago. It looks a lot better/more interesting in person (the piano, not The Vault) than it does in...pictures. There's a ton of aesthetic detail in what Paul Wise did with that piano.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Isn't Tiffany Poon accepting money from Steinway? Not that there is anything wrong with that - good for her. But it's something to keep in mind when watching the video.

Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,749
Posts3,142,129
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission