2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (chopin_r_us, Animisha, cygnusdei, bxrdad1, drumour, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, DSC, David Boyce, 5 invisible), 1,085 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Because I record and also film for youtube I have to set up two seperate devices. My movie camera has gone bad so now I film using my i-phone. I use my computer, mixer and dual mics to record the sound then mix the whole shebang on i-movie. Life would be so much easier if I just recorded but I really do enjoy making the videos. So what I usually do is set everything up and play. Very rarely will I go with the first take (although in this upcoming recital I actually did). I usually find that the first take in the morning is the freshest and most honest but will also have more mistakes. The later takes may have less mistakes but may not sound as fresh. I usually end up with three or more takes and decide on which ever one feels best. There is no "perfect", never has been and never will be.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
So long as it is an accurate representation of how I can usually play the piece on a good day, is what I'd be aiming for.

a) Do you play until there was a little mistake and then start over, because you want to have the perfect recording?

Yes, If I can consistently play with no mistakes, there should be none in the recording.

b) Do you play the entire piece and accept little bloops here and there, but only in case of a fatal mistake you start over?

Yes, if I usually have small slips but should not have fatal flaws.

c) Do you play the entire piece and take the 1st recording because it is what is is and this is closest to a live session?

Less likely, but possibly if the recording is reasonable and is a complicated recording process with video, audio, mixing like my process sometimes seems, but overall the recording I can live with.

d) Or is your playing that secure that the 1st attempt is perfect, anyway cool

If you have something that is very secure and you can consistently play it without any mistakes, and the difference between iterations are so minor that no one would notice, then yes, even this one is possible. Not usually the case with recital material and very unlikely you could do this with everything you record and if you can, you're probably not stretching enough.

Any one could apply, but it's usually B, for me.

Last edited by Greener; 08/10/21 04:58 PM.
OP Offline
It was really fun to read your answers, I find my own thougths so many times.
Good to know I am not alone with screwing up the last bars. But this is Murphys Law: the last bar often are musical fireworks and therefore challenging.
Good to know I am not alone with stopping playing after a few bars if I think I can do it better - or because of a silly mistake. Throwing away only a few seconds of playing time doesn't count it as attempt. whistle
Overall it seems as there is a transition over time from trying to make a perfect recording (beginners) to accepting it never happens and live with a good one (experienced). And the better the player, the less attempts are needed anyway. Interestingly nobody said option D: (1st attempt is perfect, anyway). Seems that everyone has a kind of over-critical self awareness.

Originally Posted by Animisha
However, once I have made a recording that is almost, almost as good as I want it to be, it is hard, because while playing the piece one more time, I often find myself thinking that I played better on the previous recording and then it feels meaningless to finish the piece.
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Also, after I have one complete play through without major errors I think: "if I mess up then I can always use that take". That makes me more relaxed and I can usually play better after that.
Yes, I faced both ideas at the same time.
I will add a 3rd option: Have an almost perfect go (expression and so), but make a fatal mistake near the end. In this case all other future recordings are doomed to be that good, just without that mistake. This is the worst situation in my head. The only thing that is taking pressure from me is to know, I need only a good ending and I could cheat and cut both attempts into one single video. With two cameras it's easy, just do it by switching between them.

And I don't fall back to an earlier good attempt. Because this means all later attempts are just lost time. And I hate it to search through my video-files. Throwing away the earlier attempts is easy, I count them as practice. Until now, my final take was always the last attempt, even if it wasn't the best. Anyway: what is the best one? Having good expression and fun listening to it or have it error free but sounding mechanical dead? For me it's a compromise leaning towards expression and the errors must be acceptable.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
A beginner piece usually don't need too many retakes.
I'll see with October recital
Originally Posted by Animisha
Unless you are a beginner of course... whistle
grin thumb (btw: thanks for the themed recital idea, this is a great one!)

And here remains the obvious thing: The more experience one has, the more secure the playing is, the less attempts are required. And the strategy changes over time. I agree to Jason's approach playing only 3 attempts because after that it gets worse. But for beginners this probably won't work - we simply need more time and more luck.

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
And here remains the obvious thing: The more experience one has, the more secure the playing is, the less attempts are required. And the strategy changes over time.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way because as you get more advanced the pieces get longer and more difficult. Imagine messing up at the end of a 10-minute sonata movement. 😫

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The 1 thing that online tutorials talk about is starting a piece at different bars instead of always at the beginning of a section. Even if you miss 1 note, you know the next starting point is just around the corner.

The first and last thing is to make regular recordings. Isolate your problems and work on them individually. If you miss the same spot a few times, sit down and analyze your playing. Replay the same notes in slow motion and try a few ways to see if you can find a better way to play the same spot. If you keep playing the same spot the same way 100x is not going to make your playing improve.

OP Offline
And here remains the obvious thing: The more experience one has, the more secure the playing is, the less attempts are required. And the strategy changes over time.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way because as you get more advanced the pieces get longer and more difficult. Imagine messing up at the end of a 10-minute sonata movement. 😫
Good the recitals are more or less limited to 7 minutes. wink
(Something with a maximum mp3 file size and with a typical bitrate. Didn't control the math, but I guess it's right.)

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
(Something with a maximum mp3 file size and with a typical bitrate. Didn't control the math, but I guess it's right.)

I've done longer. It's hard to predict mp3 size until you do the conversion. You can always reduce the bit rate to get a smaller file. Nobody can tell the difference anyway, since there are so many variables that affect our non-professional recordings.

Sam

S
S
Originally Posted by Sam S

I've done longer. It's hard to predict mp3 size until you do the conversion. You can always reduce the bit rate to get a smaller file. Nobody can tell the difference anyway, since there are so many variables that affect our non-professional recordings.

Sam

I've found on my Zoom h4n recorder that if I record at a 44.1 kHz sample rate and a 16 bit depth, I can fit a 20 minute performance into the maximum allowed mp3 size of 20 MB.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission