2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
At various points in time, I have posted here about sightreading versus what I want to call "read-playing" but no one else seemed interested in taking up that term....
Because sight reading means the first time and reading means the first time or any time after that. If someone wants to make it very clear the playing a piece for the first time they should say sight reading.

And the too commonly used prima vista sight reading is redundant and used by those who don't understand what sight reading means. One last misconception:sight reading does not mean one cannot stop or one has to play most of the notes/rhythms correctly or one cannot play the piece very slowly. If one does any of those things one is just doing a poor job sight reading that piece.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/08/21 08:16 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
At various points in time, I have posted here about sightreading versus what I want to call "read-playing" but no one else seemed interested in taking up that term....
Because sight reading means the first time and reading means the first time or any time after that. If someone wants to make it very clear the playing a piece for the first time they should say sight reading.

And the too commonly used prima vista sight reading is redundant and used by those who don't understand what sight reading means. One last misconception:sight reading does not mean one cannot stop or one has to play most of the notes/rhythms correctly or one cannot play the piece very slowly. If one does any of those things one is just doing a poor job sight reading that piece.

I've always thought it's much more rewarding to play the correct notes than the wrong notes under pressure.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by fatar760
Hey Moo,

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post - but it might be that you are.

What I'd say is, if you want to play Chopin but the pieces are too difficult, then just read a couple of bars, maybe one hand at a time. That way you can still be sight reading (read playing...), whilst learning the music you want to learn.

But that to me is just normal practice and that helps reading music. You hardly play four bars and never play again.

Sight reading skills where you look at an extract and play for an exam a skill I learnt for an exam but maybe American don't have these exams so the terms can be confusing.

How useful this skill is - I don't know. You never really need only one play of a piece in real life. I never practice it but never had problems reading music so I think was useful for general reading practice.

Definitely I used to learn from sight reading books with short extracts when I was a child for exams. Sight reading is not a skill I ever practice now. So I think how to learn relates to experience.

But it's clear there are many ways to learn. For example, I've heard a blind person play advanced music and he can't see any score.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
Hey Moo,

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post - but it might be that you are.

What I'd say is, if you want to play Chopin but the pieces are too difficult, then just read a couple of bars, maybe one hand at a time. That way you can still be sight reading (read playing...), whilst learning the music you want to learn.

But that to me is just normal practice and that helps reading music. You hardly play four bars and never play again.

Sight reading skills where you look at an extract and play for an exam a skill I learnt for an exam but maybe American don't have these exams so the terms can be confusing.

How useful this skill is - I don't know. You never really need only one play of a piece in real life. I never practice it but never had problems reading music so I think was useful for general reading practice.

Definitely I used to learn from sight reading books with short extracts when I was a child for exams. Sight reading is not a skill I ever practice now. So I think how to learn relates to experience.

But it's clear there are many ways to learn. For example, I've heard a blind person play advanced music and he can't see any score.

I know exactly the type of sight reading experience you talk about as the ABRSM require it here in the UK.

Those short extracts don't really tackle 'real-world' sight reading though. If I'm sat in an audition room, sight reading music for some singer/dancer/actor, those graded sight reading books, with their 30 second time limits, don't make me any better at my job.

Of course, they may help someone pass an exam, but I really don't feel they're helping develop skills to improve reading (at sight or otherwise).

If I'm reading longer examples, in the idiom of which I play, that's going help far more.

Online Content

I've always thought it's much more rewarding to play the correct notes than the wrong notes under pressure.
Of course it's more rewarding, but it how well you sight read a piece has nothing to do with if you are sight reading a piece.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by lilypad
I've read a lot of 'sight reading' threads on this forum with nary a mention of the benefits of just lots of 'reading'. Many thanks to you folks for addressing that.
Most sight-reading threads in PW are very similar: people looking for tricks and secrets that would quickly (I was going to say 'magically') improve their abilities. Or seeking online stuff that promises the earth (but delivers zilch). Or books that promise to tell you secrets your teacher never taught you (because obviously, he/she was ignorant).......

Yet the simplest methods are the best, and used by wise teachers ever since piano was invented: Read from the music when you play, and read (and sight-read) lots and lots.

Bach, Scarlatti, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Chopin never ever played or performed without sheet music in front of them, even when they were playing their own music and had most of it in their memory (unless they were improvising, of course). Beethoven once performed his new concerto from his scribbled score which - according to his hapless page-turner - consisted of not much more than hieroglypics..... grin

I had no idea they used sheets even when performing... Just wondering why do today's performers seem to perform concerts with no sheet music? I feel like today's culture almost act like using a sheet is frowned upon.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Sebs
I've read a lot of 'sight reading' threads on this forum with nary a mention of the benefits of just lots of 'reading'. Many thanks to you folks for addressing that.
Most sight-reading threads in PW are very similar: people looking for tricks and secrets that would quickly (I was going to say 'magically') improve their abilities. Or seeking online stuff that promises the earth (but delivers zilch). Or books that promise to tell you secrets your teacher never taught you (because obviously, he/she was ignorant).......

Yet the simplest methods are the best, and used by wise teachers ever since piano was invented: Read from the music when you play, and read (and sight-read) lots and lots.

Bach, Scarlatti, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Chopin never ever played or performed without sheet music in front of them, even when they were playing their own music and had most of it in their memory (unless they were improvising, of course). Beethoven once performed his new concerto from his scribbled score which - according to his hapless page-turner - consisted of not much more than hieroglypics..... grin

I had no idea they used sheets even when performing... Just wondering why do today's performers seem to perform concerts with no sheet music? I feel like today's culture almost act like using a sheet is frowned upon.

Liszt and Clara Schumann started the practice of performances with memorized music somewhere around 1820. Interestingly, this practice is gradually changing again with some concert musicians now performing with the score.

An anecdote of a disagreement between Liszt and Chopin. Liszt performed one of Chopin’s works by memory; Chopin was supposedly livid as he felt it showed a lack of respect for the composer to not use the printed score.

B
B
Performing from memory only applies to soloists, which became the custom in the 19th century, started by Liszt and Clara S. as dogperson mentioned. But it has remained customary to use sheet music when playing contemporary music.

Musicians playing chamber music or in ensembles of any sort (including, of course, orchestras) have always played from music:

However, more and more solo concert pianists these days are using iPads, as 'turning pages' on them has become more reliable and easier. It's also interesting to note that Stephen Hough makes it a point to always play his own music from the score, so that audiences would know that he isn't improvising and that the music has been carefully through-composed and worked out, just like the music by other composers in his program that he plays from memory.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
... Just wondering why do today's performers seem to perform concerts with no sheet music?

I think it is similar to why a speech is "memorized" instead of just reading it.

It seems to add authenticity to it.

It comes across as more of a personal message to the audience.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Of course it's more rewarding, but it how well you sight read a piece has nothing to do with if you are sight reading a piece.

Sorry, I don't understand what you've typed. Try again?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Because sight reading means the first time and reading means the first time or any time after that. If someone wants to make it very clear the playing a piece for the first time they should say sight reading

Yes, I'm well aware.

The times that I've written about this distinction, I proposed "read-play" as a way to stress active reading while playing -- as opposed to prima vista and also as opposed to the sort of half-memorizing, half-reading that some times happens. It's clear from comments in this thread and others that not following along with where you are in the score is pretty common, but there's a not a widely used term to describe not doing that. Hence, "read-play."

Perhaps it never catches on because it's an awkward term.... whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson

Liszt and Clara Schumann started the practice of performances with memorized music somewhere around 1820. Interestingly, this practice is gradually changing again with some concert musicians now performing with the score.

An anecdote of a disagreement between Liszt and Chopin. Liszt performed one of Chopin’s works by memory; Chopin was supposedly livid as he felt it showed a lack of respect for the composer to not use the printed score.

Thanks for the details. I was often thinking it was requirement in classical world that truly polished meant memorized too. It sounds like it's more so a style choice/preference.

Performing from memory only applies to soloists, which became the custom in the 19th century, started by Liszt and Clara S. as dogperson mentioned. But it has remained customary to use sheet music when playing contemporary music.

Musicians playing chamber music or in ensembles of any sort (including, of course, orchestras) have always played from music:

However, more and more solo concert pianists these days are using iPads, as 'turning pages' on them has become more reliable and easier. It's also interesting to note that Stephen Hough makes it a point to always play his own music from the score, so that audiences would know that he isn't improvising and that the music has been carefully through-composed and worked out, just like the music by other composers in his program that he plays from memory.

I wonder if some people were/are like wtf did Liszt and Clara start "damnit now I have to memorize to perform too" hahah

Online Content
It will be interesting to see if the advent of using Ipads with touch or foot pedal page turning will increase the playing with the score. Since this method does not require a page turner and the Ipad is visually less distracting for the audience then a paper score, my guess is playing with the score will increase. It would also be interesting to know how many professionals would prefer to frequently use an Ipad. I think some would certainly prefer this approach because they worry a lot about memory slips but others are such confident memorizers they would continue to play without the score.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/09/21 11:06 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus, I agree, I think the use of iPads will definitely lead to an increase in using the score on stage.

If I didn't have an iPad, I certainly would do more memorizing to avoid page-turning, and I'm not playing professionally (obvs).

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
It will be interesting to see if the advent of using Ipads with touch or foot pedal page turning will increase the playing with the score. Since this method does not require a page turner and the Ipad is visually less distracting for the audience then a paper score, my guess is playing with the score will increase. It would also be interesting to know how many professionals would prefer to frequently use an Ipad. I think some would certainly prefer this approach because they worry a lot about memory slips but others are such confident memorizers they would continue to play without the score.

I hope you're right! Unless it comes easy to you, memorising is just another burden for the pianist. If I listen to a recording of a piece, I would like the pianist to have spent lots of their time on expression, on working on how it sounds and I feel it is a waste if they need to spend a lot of time on memorising.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus, I agree, I think the use of iPads will definitely lead to an increase in using the score on stage.

If I didn't have an iPad, I certainly would do more memorizing to avoid page-turning, and I'm not playing professionally (obvs).

I think it may depend on the gig. In my line of work, having a row of iPads in the pit will prove a nightmare for LX who'd struggle to get a blackout.

Personally, I prefer paper as it always 'works' and it's easier (and more reliable) to turn the pages. Plus, from an organisational POV it's very easy to move music around in a folder.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Plus, No one will dump an uninvited os update on sheet music in the middle of practice or performance.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fatar, whoa, good point about the lighting issue!!!

WBLynch, I don't think that would be an issue with iPads, esp. if you put them into airplane mode while performing. I've been using an iPad for my sheet music needs for .... well, probably at least 8 years now, and I have never had a problem using it for score reading, let alone in the middle of a performance. Granted, I'm not a professional, but I think it's consistent enough, esp. these days, that reliability isn't an issue.

Other logistical considerations are, like Fatar's comment, but technologically, they are incredibly reliable.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fatar, whoa, good point about the lighting issue!!!

WBLynch, I don't think that would be an issue with iPads, esp. if you put them into airplane mode while performing. I've been using an iPad for my sheet music needs for .... well, probably at least 8 years now, and I have never had a problem using it for score reading, let alone in the middle of a performance. Granted, I'm not a professional, but I think it's consistent enough, esp. these days, that reliability isn't an issue.

Other logistical considerations are, like Fatar's comment, but technologically, they are incredibly reliable.

At the risk of momentarily going off-topic: Shirokuro, what kind of bluetooth page turner do you use, and has it been reliable? I use an Airturn and sometimes it can bit hit or miss if the page turns in time!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh oh!! Super happy to complain about Airturn!!! grin
Ugh, very much hit or miss, you have to kind of pound on the thing to get it to respond....

Anyway, as you might guess, I started with an Airturn, but maybe three years ago I finally figured out that there was no reason why the tech should be so sketchy. I switched to a PageFlip Butterfly. They make at least one other model, and I think I just picked the cheaper one. But it is amazingly consistent and reliable.

I don't play professionally, but I do play for people (pre-covid) and I play with a violinist so our scores are super long. I use the PageFlip all the time and have zero problems. So I highly recommend this over the Airturn!

This is the one I bought, there might be a newer one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LIROF7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission