2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (b4xter, brdwyguy, Abdol, BravoRomeo, 36251, An Old Square, Animisha, Bruce In Philly, 18 invisible), 672 guests, and 452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3144368 08/08/21 09:38 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all
I just purchased the standard version of Pianoteq and will use it with a PC connected to my ES920 (maybe also valid with ES8).
I will use USB to host from my DP to PC and would like the sound played back through my DP speakers.
I have 2 beginner questions:
- should I use an external sound card (focusrite?)?
- what are the cable I should use to get the sound back to my DP.

Thanks in advance

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@playplayplay,

-> Yes you would need a USB audio interface, of which Focusrite may indeed be an example. (Unless the ES920 has one built-in already, which if I am not mistaken it hasn't).

-> You would then need audio cables from the interface line outputs to the line inputs of the ES920. Which cable(s) depends on the type of connectors on the interface side as well as on the piano side.

Hope this helps,

Cheers and happy interfacing,

HZ

P
OP Offline
P
@HZPiano

Thank you for your answer.

Originally Posted by HZPiano
-> Yes you would need a USB audio interface, of which Focusrite may indeed be an example. (Unless the ES920 has one built-in already, which if I am not mistaken it hasn't).
I think the ES920 does not have one, does that mean I won't be able to connect my pc directly to the DP (for the sound?
And if not, is focusrite a good option for its price?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
It is possible to connect the audio out (headphone jack) of the computer to the audio in on the ES920.

You could just try it and see how it sounds to you.

Keep volume settings very low to start to avoid any sort of sound overload.

Or ... audio interface you suggested will be fine.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
Online Content
G
don't forget to switch the internal sounds off when you want to hear only pianoteq through DPs speakers...
look in the manual for the "local control" feature

keep calm and play the piano :-)
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks @ DMD and @Georg Z

When I will be back from holidays, I will try directly first.
And if it won't be great that way, I will add an interface.
The DP sounds didn t come to my mind... Thanks Georg

Hey if you already own an external sound card like a Focusrite that's great! just MIDI up using the 5 pin from the out of the ES920 (so that to use it as a master controller) into the "in" port on the back of the Focusrite. Connect the Focusriite to your PC (which runs the VST) using the supplied USB cable. The sound of the Pianoteq would be coming out of the Focusrite not the DP of course so in order to hear it you have 3 main options:
1)Monitor the sound from the Focusrite's headphones jack
2) Connect dual monitors/speakers to the back of the Focusrite's main outputs
3) Feed back the output from the Focusrite mains into the audio input of the ES920 so to use it's integrated speakers. You'll need a stereo splitter cable ( 3.5mm stereo jack on one hand and 2 6.3mm normal TS mono cables on the other)

HOWEVER, you might as well do without all this setup . You should probably try that if you still haven't purchased an external sound card since it's almost free. Basically similar to what DMD said above me. You'll need 2 cables:
* USB to host cable (=printer cable) is preferable or USB to MIDI cable (using the 5 pin socket has the advantage of the cable being secured more firmly)
* Aux stereo cable of 3.5mm instrument cable on both side > from your PC's headphone to the ES920 Audio in.

Lastly since this options doesn't require an external sound card you'll need to download and install ASIO4ALL on your PC for free on this site. https://www.asio4all.org/ (it's easily done).
If you don't require much from an audio interface, such as physical ins/outs and state of the art converters, you'd probably find this option sufficient and much cheaper too.

J
J
Originally Posted by Chummy
Hey if you already own an external sound card like a Focusrite that's great! just MIDI up using the 5 pin from the out of the ES920 (so that to use it as a master controller) into the "in" port on the back of the Focusrite.

if you plan to do this, make sure you do your research on interfaces properly first. some of the cheaper focusrite interfaces do not have a 5 pin MIDI input. this is clear in the specs of each model. i have 2 focusrite interfaces (both with 5 pin MIDI input) and they are great for my purposes

P
OP Offline
P
Cristal clear Chummy. Thank you so much for your explanation.
And thank you Jackopiano for your post, making me realizing that if I need a focusrite, I will have to use one with 5 pin MIDI input, which will cost a bit more.

I will first do it without the interface (going the cheapest way) and will see (hear) the results.
Thank you guys.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If you use the piano speakers and the USB MIDI to connect the piano to your PC, take two things into account:

1- There might be noise, because of the loop (DP->USB->PC and PC->audio out->DP). In such a case, the use of the interface with MIDI ports may help, as good quality implementations (I assume the Focusrite is) have optical insulation.

2- You may need to tweak the equalization to have the DP speakers to sound good as they are tuned to the internal sound generator.

Originally Posted by playplayplay
Cristal clear Chummy. Thank you so much for your explanation.
And thank you Jackopiano for your post, making me realizing that if I need a focusrite, I will have to use one with 5 pin MIDI input, which will cost a bit more.

I will first do it without the interface (going the cheapest way) and will see (hear) the results.
Thank you guys.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you experience a Ground Loop noise as a result of connecting the computer's output to the ES920's input at the same time as using the USB-MIDI port, I would also recommend a ground loop isolator:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ground+loop+isolator&ref=nb_sb_noss

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by EVC2017
If you use the piano speakers and the USB MIDI to connect the piano to your PC, take two things into account:

1- There might be noise, because of the loop (DP->USB->PC and PC->audio out->DP). In such a case, the use of the interface with MIDI ports may help, as good quality implementations (I assume the Focusrite is) have optical insulation.

2- You may need to tweak the equalization to have the DP speakers to sound good as they are tuned to the internal sound generator.

1 - good to know that there is a way to downsize possible loop noise, whether with the interface or with the loop isolator proposed by Kawai James.
2- I think it will become the tricky part for me. Being able to calibrate properly the software to the hardware. Will be a trial and error process, I hope not a longer one....

Anyway, thank you Kawai James and EVC2017 for your kind help.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
If you experience a Ground Loop noise as a result of connecting the computer's output to the ES920's input at the same time as using the USB-MIDI port, I would also recommend a ground loop isolator:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ground+loop+isolator&ref=nb_sb_noss

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello James,

Will it works with this item instead of the ground loop isolator you mentioned?
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bla...d+blaster&qid=1629044303&sr=8-13

Also, if i can connect the above mentioned sound blaster to my laptop audio out, will I have to connect it to the LINE IN Stereo jacks of the DP (mini jack in the back of the DP - p128 of the manual)? More precisely can i connect a soundcard to the mini jack LINE IN STEREO of the DP without causing dammage to the the DP.

If you could confirm this, it will be greatly appreciate.

Cheers,

M
M
bluetooth MIDI adapter and then headphone/audio out to DP? still wired between the two but may mean no ‘loop’?

May I ask you to clarify how/why you are using this additional Creative Blaster device, please?
(as opposed to just connecting headphones directly to the laptop's output jack)

Also, if i can connect the above mentioned sound blaster to my laptop audio out, will I have to connect it to the LINE IN Stereo jacks of the DP (mini jack in the back of the DP - p128 of the manual)? More precisely can i connect a soundcard to the mini jack LINE IN STEREO of the DP without causing dammage to the the DP.

Regardless of the audio source (directly from your laptop, or using an external audio interface), you will need to connect the output to the LINE IN STEREO input of the ES920 in order to be able to hear this audio through the instrument's speakers. This should not cause any damage to your digital piano, provide you use it responsibly.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for your answer
Originally Posted by Kawai James

May I ask you to clarify how/why you are using this additional Creative Blaster device, please?
(as opposed to just connecting headphones directly to the laptop's output jack)

A friend of mine has this sound blaster card, he told me that the laptop might produce noise/interferences (like you first said) or that the intern soundcards of laptop are usually not great. So it could be problematic to use pianoteq and not adding something between the laptop and DP speakers. (connecting directly the laptop to the DP might not render justice neither to Pianoteq or to the speakers of the DP).
Since he is not using this card anymore, he will give it to me.
The idea is to connect the audio output of the laptop to the card, and then to connect the card to the line in stereo of the DP with a 2-male minijack cable.

Best regards,

Okay, I see.

Thank you for the explanation.

To be honest, I do not have any experience with this Creative Blaster device, however it appears to be targeting gamers, rather than musicians. Depending on the audio hardware of your current laptop (which make/model, by the way?), it may/may not produce a better sound, or provide greater/lesser latecny. I don't believe I have ever seen such a device being discussed on PianoWorld, however many Pianoteq (and other virtual instruments) players often use external audio interfaces from brands such as Focusrite etc.

In my opinion, I would try the sound/latency from your laptop directly first, then compare with this Creative Blaster device. It seems there are quite hypothetical "ifs" and "maybes" with your intended setup, however the only way to really know if it'll work well and sound good, is to simply try it...then take things from there.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
OP Offline
P
Sure.
My laptop is a hp pavillon i7 10th with 16 gb ram.
https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06456925

I only asked you because I have read in the manual and also in the forum that one have to be careful connecting devices to the DP because it could cause damages. So I wanted to be sure before doing it.

Thank you for your time.
Best regards,

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission